Bleach Fan Fiction ❯ Orihime's Groundhog Day ❯ Sixth Attempt ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Tite Kubo owns Bleach. I just borrowed the characters.
 
Orihime does something in this chapter which is wrong. I apologise for her actions and I do not condone them but it was important to get Ichigo to talk freely to explain some of the events that have happened in this story. Maybe you will understand why I delayed adding this chapter.
 
 
Sixth Attempt
 
Biting her thumb didn't help. She watched Ichigo play the game. Should she ask him to leave? She didn't want to ask him to leave. She really wanted to place her head on his chest again, to embrace him with no fear of rejection. The thought of those brief moments of contentment made her shut her eyes with longing. She hoped he would leave his body behind again. She'd just time it properly next time so that Ichigo would not know. Why had he accepted her weak explanation so readily? He would normally react suspiciously. Could it be the additives in the food? Did Zelda hypnotise him into a more receptive frame of mind? Was it because he was relieved she was unhurt? Had the blow to the head from the hollow given him concussion and he wasn't thinking properly?
 
Another thought claimed her attention. What would happen if he was still there when she invoked the charm? While Orihime was thrilled that Ichigo had returned, it worried her. She usually used this time to think, to plan what she would do. Ichigo was absorbed in the game, and was only half way through a particularly difficult dungeon. He probably wouldn't notice her if she remained quiet. Could she still think about things when his presence was an ever increasing distraction?
 
Well, she could try.
 
They would not work on the science project! That was her decision. The number of repeats was now severely limited. There may be only one more chance. An idea briefly flickered through her mind.
 
`Ichigo, would you like a drink?'
 
`Yeah, a juice would be nice,' he replied not taking his eyes from the screen.
 
As she got the drinks she quietly went and checked her supplies. It wasn't really the right thing to do. In fact it was wrong, illegal, and something she would normally not consider. Why was she acting so strangely? Was the charm affecting her, corrupting her judgement even more than she suspected?
 
She gave the drink to Ichigo and sipped her own. She decided to go to the bathroom for the final minutes so she could plan.
 
`I won't be long, Ichigo,' she said, closed the door and locked it. Now she could think without distraction.
 
If she went ahead with this she knew the plan might not work. Orihime comforted herself with the thought that it was not really happening. Fate would not accept the next change. If it did, then she would repeat one more time.
 
`Why did I even think of this?' she asked herself. `I don't have any other idea, except to work on the project again. I'll try this. Maybe it will provide some answers.'
 
Part of her mind recognised that the charm was not only making her lie, it was encouraging her to betray her principles. She did not like the changes she saw in herself. No matter, she had decided that she would do this repeat. The last few seconds ticked down. The charm grew warm. Fate had accepted the change.
 
With questions wracking her mind she invoked the charm `Kurikaesu. Repeat.'
 
***************************************************************** *******
Again the sensation overcame her. Again she heard the trigger phrase.
 
`Let's eat here,' said Ichigo.
 
He sounded less certain than normal, or maybe that was her imagination. He looked confused and rubbed his hand over his face.
 
`Did I say that twice? I get a feeling of déjà vu about this. As if it had happened before. I feel that this is wrong, somehow,' Ichigo said.
 
Orihime stiffened at his words. Critical mass. She must act as normal. She turned and smiled at Ichigo. `You're probably very hungry, Ichigo. Hunger can make you imagine things. I have a suggestion. Why waste time and money on a restaurant?' She looked at the expression forming on his face, it was almost fear. Why was he scared? Of course, he had heard about her cooking! She didn't understand why people didn't like the food she prepared. They must all have underdeveloped taste buds.
 
`I won't be cooking; it would take too long. Why don't we pick up some prepared food from the supermarket and go back to my place. We could settle to work that much faster and finish the project.' Orihime was amazed at how easily the words came from her mouth. She wasn't lying to him, exactly, nor was she telling the truth. That thought didn't comfort her. She wanted to be honest with Ichigo.
 
`Umm, sure. If you think it's a good idea, I suppose we could do that. How did you guess I was hungry? You're sure you won't be cooking?' Ichigo questioned a frown on his face.
 
`I'm sure I won't be cooking. Come on. We'll pick up some dessert also, just in case. They have really nice melon ice-cream,' Orihime assured the frowning teen and ignored the other question.
 
Orihime led the way to where the prepared meals were displayed. Ichigo selected a quantity of food that seemed a little excessive. On the way to the cashier, Orihime picked up a variety of salty snacks. They were an important part of her plan.
 
As they neared the checkout, Orihime pretended to remember something. `I need to buy some tea. I've nearly run out. You go ahead, Ichigo. I'll catch up with you outside. I shouldn't be too long,' she assured him.
 
Orihime chose some tea so she wouldn't be caught in her lie and quickly grabbed the other items she wanted. She waited until she was sure Ichigo had left the store. Then she went through the check out, nervously waiting to be questioned about some of her purchases. The cashier hardly glanced at her, or her purchases, obviously bored. The total of the goods was greater than Orihime anticipated, but it was still cheaper than eating out.
 
Ichigo insisted on carrying the bags, but complained a little at the unexpected weight. As they walked to her place, Orihime asked Ichigo his favourite music.
 
`I thought you'd want to talk about the project, Orihime. You always seem interested in school work,' he commented.
 
`I know, but I thought we would leave all the work until after we have eaten. It's always a good idea to have a little leisure time between school and homework, don't you think?' She smiled up at Ichigo.
 
`Sure, yeah. I guess so. Okay, one band I really like at the moment is System of a Down, especially the Zelda song. I know it's old, but I think it's funny. I like the Zelda games,' Ichigo told Orihime.
 
The talk about music and games lasted until they were inside her apartment.
 
`Why don't you go and wash your hands while I set the table, Ichigo,' suggested Orihime. `It won't take long.' She was reluctant to let him see what she had bought just yet.
 
`Okay, thanks Orihime. I'll be fast.'
 
Orihime turned on her music system and put on the CD Tatsuki had loaned her. Then, after she set the table, she retrieved some of the supplies she had checked in the last repeat. Now, if only Ichigo would react like a typical teenage male, this might work.
 
A half remembered rule regarding the charm niggled at the back of her mind, but resolutely she ignored it.
 
Ichigo emerged from the bathroom and went over to the CD player. He picked up the CD case and looked at it.
 
`I wanted to hear this, but I have this strange memory of listening to it before, but that's not possible, is it?' Ichigo looked as if he were trying to retrieve the memory.
 
`Aren't you hungry, Ichigo? We can eat and listen to the music,' Orihime said nervously. The memories were a little too close to the surface for her liking.
 
Ichigo replaced the CD case and looked at the table expectantly. He paused when he saw the other items Orihime had placed on the table with the food. Ichigo looked at Orihime, looked again at the table and frowned.
 
`Umm, Orihime, you know you put beer and sake on the table, don't you?' Ichigo asked his voice a mix between anticipation and denial.
 
`Yes, I know Ichigo,' she replied.
 
`But, we're underage. We shouldn't be drinking,' he said.
 
`And my brother should still be alive. We should be normal teenagers. The world is full of should's and should nots, Ichigo. I thought you liked to take risks,' Orihime heard her voice saying these words, but did not believe it. She couldn't blame the food additives for this. She hadn't eaten. Maybe it was the influence of the charm, or her own guilt.
 
Ichigo looked at her. `Are you okay? You're acting a little strange, Orihime. Do you want me to leave?'
 
`I apologise, Ichigo. I'm really sorry. I don't know why I said that. Please sit down and eat. I'll put the alcohol away,' Orihime said sadly.
 
`No need to do that, Orihime. We can just try it. We don't need to drink it all,' Ichigo said seduced by the idea of tasting forbidden fruit.
 
He quickly grabbed a can of beer, popped the top and drank quickly.
 
Orihime was torn. Her plan was working, but she was violating her principles. It had been obvious to her that Ichigo would quickly succumb to sampling something restricted to adults. If only it had been that easy to seduce him. She quickly grabbed her own can of beer and drank half the contents. Maybe that would drown her principles. It was bad enough when her conscience plagued her, but it now appeared her Conscience had joined forces with her Principles. Her Bad side needed more help if it came to another pitched battle. Alcohol would divert both her Good side and her Principles. She quickly drank the rest of the beer in the can. It tasted awful, but it enabled her Bad side to distract her Good side and her Principles. Bad suggested a game of poker. She knew her Bad side would cheat, but she didn't care. Her Good side and Principles picked up their hands and studied their cards. Her plan had worked, at least this part of it.
 
She came out of her reverie to notice Ichigo was staring at her.
 
`Don't you think you should eat something, Orihime? If you're going to drink that fast it would be better if you had some food to absorb it, at least that's what my old man says,' he said pushing a plate toward her. `If you're that thirsty, you should drink water. Beer doesn't really quench the thirst.'
 
Orihime giggled. Ichigo sounded so serious.
 
`Thanks for the good advice, Ichigo,' she said and laughed
 
His face expressed concern and a slight tinge of worry. Orihime quickly ate some food.
 
Ichigo relaxed and also started eating, occasionally washing down his food with some beer.
 
`It's funny, I really feel as if I have heard this CD before,' Ichigo said.
 
`Would you like another beer,' Orihime said trying to distract him again.
 
`Yeah, thanks, I would. It goes well with the food,'
 
Orihime went to the fridge of retrieved two cold cans. She handed one to Ichigo and opened her own. This time she sipped slowly. Her plan did not involve her becoming influenced by the alcohol. She didn't want to lose control of the situation, but she had to keep her conscience off balance so the plan could be carried out.
 
They ate until all the food Orihime served was eaten. Ichigo sat back.
 
`I think I'm full. Orihime, I'm sorry but I don't feel like doing the science project. If you want, I'll just go home,' Ichigo suggested reluctantly.
 
`No need, Ichigo. You can stay here. I enjoy the company. We can work on the project another day. It's not due for a week. We can just relax and listen to music if you want. I think you need time to unwind.'
 
Ichigo smiled at Orihime. `Thanks. I don't know why, but I feel relaxed at the moment. Maybe it's the beer, maybe because I don't feel I have to do anything or prove anything to you. I don't have to compete with you,' Ichigo said.
 
`Do you want another beer, Ichigo?' Orihime asked eagerly. He didn't seem very affected by the beer, but it wasn't affecting her much either. As she got the cans from the refrigerator Orihime finally realised why. It was low alcohol beer! It was now clear why the bored cashier at the supermarket didn't question her about her purchase. If only she hadn't been in a rush she would have checked. Why did these things always happen to her?
 
`I feel a little relaxed, I suppose from the small amount of alcohol in the beer,' she mused. `It may have relaxed Ichigo enough.'
 
As she carried the cans to the table she picked up a packet of chips. She placed both the beer and the opened chips next to Ichigo, who started eating them as they talked about music. As planned the chips made him thirsty so he drank more. Orihime realised for her plan to work she had to move onto phase two: the sake phase.
 
The CD had finished.
 
`Why don't you choose another CD, Ichigo?' Orihime suggested. `There's something I want to do.'
 
While Ichigo browsed through her CD collection, Orihime heated some water. She had heard that sake should be served warm.
 
`Do you mind if I play this CD, Orihime?' Ichigo asked. `I seem to remember hearing something about it.'
 
`It's fine,' she replied absorbed in the task and not looking. `Choose any CD's you like. If you like, choose a few.'
 
As she prepared the sake, Orihime questioned her actions, again. `Why am I doing this? Is it because I hope the alcohol will make Ichigo talk? There are so many questions I want to ask that he will never answer in normal circumstances. Is he in love with anyone, now? Has he ever been in love? What had happened at the party which caused Ichigo to hate Karaoke so much? If I manage to encourage him to start talking about himself, maybe he will answer these questions.'
 
She knew that this was a very weak justification. Orihime kept reminding herself that this wasn't really happening. She would repeat again and hope that he didn't remember this repeat. He hadn't really shown much signs of remembering except he had been rather confused when the repeat started and he seemed to remember the CD. Was that because of the critical mass, or because he had been in close proximity to the charm when she invoked it?
 
Then she listened to the CD Ichigo had chosen. It contained the song she had claimed was stuck in her mind in an earlier repeat. She blushed and hoped it would not trigger any memories but realised from his earlier comments that it probably had.
 
Ichigo returned to the table and Orihime immediately served him a cup of sake. Ichigo hesitated, for at least a millisecond, and downed the cup in the approved fashion. The heat of the sake and the alcohol caused him to flush. Orihime quickly followed his example, hoping her blushes might be attributed to the sake.
 
`We really shouldn't be doing this,' Orihime thought, her conscience returning with a twinge.
 
`What had happened to the game of poker that bad was supposed to be distracting them with?' Orihime wondered. It appeared her Principles had appealed to her Bad sides good nature (it had one?) It was deplorable, this blurring of conscience and principles. Later, this issue must be addressed, but it was important she take care of the current situation. Her Bad, Good and Principles had united in a planned attack and were trying to recover their influence over her actions. Orihime had two choices. Choosing the one that appealed most, she poured and drank some more sake, serving Ichigo at the same time. Ichigo drank his without any hesitation or comment. He seemed to be listening intently to the music.
 
Orihime watched as the planned attack form her conscience and principles fell apart under the onslaught of her new ally, sake. Good stumbled around trying to hug Principles who was trying to dance with her Bad side. She quickly drank another cup to ensure their distraction. Good fell over and started laughing. She breathed a quick sigh of relief and returned her attention to Ichigo.
 
`Oh, good you're listening to me, now. What is this song, Orihime? It's really weird, but I feel like I've heard it before,' Ichigo commented.
 
Orihime waited for the stab of guilt she would normally feel at not listening to Ichigo, but Guilt had joined the conscience party and was laughing with Good at the attempts of Bad and Principles to dance the Ketchup Song.
 
`It's called Dirty Epic, Ichigo. Yes, it is strange. You might have heard it a few years ago. It was quite popular,' she said.
 
`That must be it,' Ichigo said stretching. `I don't know why, but I'm feeling hungry again. Is there anything else to eat?'
 
Orihime quickly fetched some more pretzels and the sake. She poured another cup of sake for each of them, but only sipped hers. Ichigo ate some more snacks and drank his replenished cup of sake.
 
Looking closely at Ichigo she noticed his eyes were assuming a glazed stare. If she went slowly, maybe she could ask some of the questions that had been bothering her.
 
`Ichigo, why do you hate Karaoke so much?'
 
Ichigo looked at her blearily and drank some sake. `We had a party at home for Karin's birthday and some one brought a Karaoke machine. Everyone had a turn. I didn't want to, but was forced to sing. I didn't think it was a good idea. Dad doesn't like me singing in the shower. Anyway, I got into a fight with someone about my singing and the police were called. It was humiliating and it embarrassed Karin and Yuzu. I hate Karaoke because of that. I'm sick of people insulting me about my singing voice. Chad can sing. I can't.'
 
`So that was the reason', Orihime thought. `He really is overprotective. I guess it extends to his friends as well.'
 
`Orihime, did we go to a Karaoke bar together? I don't know why, but I have this feeling that we did and Karin, Yuzu and my old man turned up. I can remember him singing Stairway to Heaven. It was really bad. I don't understand why I would go to a Karaoke bar,' Ichigo swigged some more sake and then finished the can of beer.
 
`Why would I take you to a Karaoke bar, Ichigo?' Orihime hedged quickly.
 
`I don't know,' Ichigo sighed. `It seems strange to me.'
 
`Do you like Tatsuki, Ichigo?' Orihime asked moving much faster into the questioning process in an effort to distract him.
 
`Of course I like Tatsuki,' Ichigo said firmly. `She's my friend, has been for ages. Once I thought we might get together, but it's too late now. I've got too much responsibility. Hate responsibility. Gets in the way of having fun. No, Tatsuki is my friend and that's all she'll ever be.'
 
Orihime pondered the information as she refilled his cup and sipped at her own. Ichigo had liked Tatsuki as something more than a friend, once, but not now. With trepidation she asked the next question.
 
`How do you feel about Rukia,' she said and then bit her lip.
 
Ichigo looked at her, his eyes wavering. `Why all the questions, Orihime? Why this sudden interest in whether I like people?'
 
`I'm just interested,' she faltered.
 
`Didn't you ask me once if I missed anyone from Seireitei? What are you trying to find out?' he demanded.
 
`I'm just talking. Maybe it's the additives in the food that's made me curious' Orihime said. She was worried. Memories of repeats seemed to be returning far too fast. That niggling concern at the back of her mind returned to worry her again. Something Jidanbo had said about the charm. Darn, it still wouldn't come into focus.
 
`Rukia,' Ichigo said inexplicably returning to her question. `I like Rukia. I miss her. But she has her own life in Seireitei. For a little while, a very little while I hoped that she would… Hell. Never mind. I can't get involved. Too much responsibility,' he repeated as he drank another cup of sake. He seemed to be having difficulty staying awake.
 
`What do you mean too much responsibility, Ichigo? Why is that a problem,' Orihime prodded, greatly intrigued.
 
`I can't get involved with anyone, can I? Whenever hollows come they target people I care about. I've got to protect my family. I can't have a girlfriend unless she can protect herself? Otherwise I make her a target and I have another person I have to protect. Too much responsibility. Tatsuki can't protect herself against hollows. You're not strong enough. Don't know if you ever will be. Rukia was a possibility, but she didn't come back. I hoped that I could share this responsibility with someone, but I'm all alone, except for the hollow inside, and he's no help,' Ichigo said with the maudlin self pity of someone drunk for the first time.
 
Orihime was stunned. Ichigo wasn't in love with Rukia or anyone. Was the reason Ichigo rejected her the first time, because she wasn't strong enough to protect herself? She suddenly felt a strange sort of pity for Ichigo. Not that he wanted anyone's pity. He was distancing himself from his friends because of his fear for them. She knew her thoughts would show on her face. She collected more beer and sake to give her time to compose her features.
 
Ichigo's comment about the hollow inside didn't register because Orihime suddenly remembered the other rule Jidanbo had told her. Don't drink alcohol at any time while using the charm. If critical mass has been reached it will encourage the memories to return at a faster rate. Oh, drat! She'd done it again. It was too late. Ichigo was drunk and she wasn't sober, either. That explained why he we remembering things so quickly.
 
`That's why I've denied you were my girlfriend when anyone asked,' Ichigo continued after a pause, drinking some beer and eating more pretzels. `I didn't want to make a target of you Orihime. You're my friend. I care about you. I don't want to see you hurt. Sometimes I'd really like to get closer to someone, but I can't now and maybe ever. The future scares me sometimes, so I ignore it. I hate science projects. Oh, damn, I'm rambling.'
 
Orihime felt like crying. Ichigo sounded so sad. She had to become stronger, to prove to Ichigo that she could bear part of the responsibility. If she could prove herself to him, maybe, maybe they could have a future.
 
`I didn't really believe you,' Ichigo said trying to look serious but looking increasingly drunk and tired.
 
Startled again, Orihime looked at Ichigo. Didn't believe what?
 
`What didn't you believe, Ichigo?' she asked nervously.
 
`I didn't believe you were listening to my heartbeat when I was out of my body. I watched you for a little while but I didn't say anything. I just decided to go along with your excuse to prevent embarrassment. I want to remain friends with you Orihime, but please understand, we can only be friends, no matter how I feel. I can't put you at risk,' Ichigo was slurring his words, his eyes were nearly closed.
 
Yet another shock. At the time she had questioned his quick acceptance of her weak excuse. Did he just mention something important? Yes, how he felt. How did he feel?
 
She looked at him. His eyes were closed and he had slumped over the table.
 
`Ichigo,' she whispered to him. `How do you feel?'
 
`Sleepy. And lonely. If I had been in my body when you pretended to listen to my heartbeat I would have felt close to someone for a while. That would have been nice. Life is full of pretence. So many lies,' he muttered.
 
`What did he mean by that last comment,' Orihime wondered. `Was he referring to the lies I've told him?' Her guilt returned full force, undeterred by the alcohol she had consumed. It was true; she had lied to Ichigo many times since she started using the charm.
 
Gazing at Ichigo sprawled across the table; she felt an increase to her guilt. What she had done was unforgivable. She had only thought of herself, her selfish wants and desires. Not once during this repeat had she really thought of Ichigo. Was there anything she could do to redeem herself? It was true she had learnt the answer to most of the questions, but at what cost?
 
She moved around the table and tried to make him more comfortable. Why hadn't she thought this through? She'd have to repeat one more time and hope that the alcohol and critical mass did not allow him to remember this repeat. Mainly she wanted to prevent the hangover that would definitely visit both of them. One more repeat only. Just one. This time she would only consider Ichigo. Her good side would have complete control over her actions.
 
The loud noise of the shinigami battle license broke Orihime's reverie. Ichigo was in no state to fight a hollow. What could she do? She looked around the room frantically. Ichigo slept on unaffected by the din.
 
If Ichigo wasn't there, the hollows might kill someone. Even if she used the charm the person or even people would still be dead. She had to get some help. Orihime cursed herself. Why hadn't she thought of this earlier? She couldn't ring Uryu as his powers had not returned and Chad might not be able to handle two hollows at once. She wouldn't be able to do it both because she'd been drinking and she wasn't strong enough. An idea struck her. She reached for the phone and rang Mr Urahara's shop.
 
`Ah, Miss Orihime,' he said when she introduced herself. `What can I do for you? Have you any personal requirements I can fulfil. Always happy to oblige.'
 
As she explained the situation in the simplest terms she felt sick of herself. It was her fault that this had happened and now she had to ask this strange man for assistance. Heaven knew what consequences there might be if she didn't repeat.
 
`So, Miss Orihime. Ichigo is unable to go out due to…what was it you said? Drinking too much sake and you would like me to assist. Hmmm. I'd be interested in how this situation happened. You must come by the shop tomorrow and explain in detail. I always like the details, but I don't really feel like going out to destroy a hollow at the moment. `
 
`Please Mr Urahara. I'll make it up to you somehow,' Orihime pleaded. At this point she wished she had rung Chad. He would have understood, maybe. At least he wouldn't have made her squirm like this.
 
`But, my dear, I'm a business man. Your offer of `making it up to me somehow' doesn't sound like a cash transaction. I can't see how this would benefit me. How are you planning to pay for my services? Work? Goods? Barter?' Urahara's voice dropped. `Or is there some other thing that you are offering to sweeten the deal?'
 
Orihime shuddered at the implication. `No, not that. Please, Mr Urahara, please. I'll do all my shopping at your store and recommend you to my friends. I'll pay you back, with cash. It may take some time, but I will.'
 
Urahara laughed. `Sincere, serious little thing, aren't you. I was teasing, only teasing. I'll kill the hollows. Come by tomorrow and we'll discuss payment. No need to mention this to Ichigo, is there?' he said smoothly before hanging up.
 
Orihime was relieved she wouldn't have to experience that particular discussion.
Within a few moments, the shinigami battle licence ceased its piercing cry. Orihime breathed a sigh of relief. At least the weird guy was efficient.
 
Now she was forced into the repeat. It would be impossible to repay the debt to Urahara. Orihime didn't believe that he was teasing her.
 
She touched Ichigo's face gently her hand following his jaw line, trailing down his neck. How could she make this last repeat something he would want to remember? She sat down and cradled his head in her lap, her sadness and pity almost overwhelming her, all discretion gone. This would probably be the last time she would be able to touch Ichigo without consequences.
 
Ichigo muttered something in his sleep. Orihime strained to hear the words but they were too unclear.
 
`I love you Ichigo,' she said quietly, knowing that he would not hear, would not remember.
 
Author's Note:
 
As I said in the beginning, Orihime did something wrong. It is against the law to drink alcohol while underage.
 
At most there will be two more chapters to this story. Not sure. I've enjoyed writing this, most of the time.
 
The next chapter may take a little time. Please be patient.
 
Reviews welcome.