Bleach Fan Fiction ❯ Orihime's Groundhog Day ❯ Seventh Attempt ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Tite Kubo owns Bleach. I just borrowed the characters.
 
Angst ahead.
 
The last repeat?
 
Seventh Attempt
 
As she sat there watching Ichigo sleep, Orihime regretted the repeats, but at the same time was grateful she had the chance to understand Ichigo. The hours she had spent with him were precious and she knew she would always remember them, even the worst moments. She watched him frown in sleep and smoothed his forehead with her fingers.
 
`What should I do to make the last repeat the best? If I were to be true to my good side, we should work on the science project and finish it. I think with the work I've done on it in the previous repeats, we should be able to finish it quite quickly. I know that would please Ichigo as it would mean one less thing for him to worry about. Then we could listen to music or play Zelda. We must keep contact with other people to a minimum. That means we probably should eat here. I think a takeaway would be better than the supermarket, but how can I organise that quickly? I don't want to go back to the games arcade, it was far too crowded. Maybe we could chance going to a really quiet restaurant. Does it really matter? He remembers so much already. I only hope he doesn't remember what started this whole thing.'
 
Orihime allowed a daydream passing through her mind to distract her from her thoughts. The daydream revolved around the mention Ichigo had made of him being in his body when she had placed her head on his chest. She imagined lying next to him, her head resting on him, his arms encircling her in return; a gentle kiss on her head.
 
Shaking her head she looked at Ichigo's face. He was still unconscious. Looking at her watch she noticed that there was not much time before she invoked the charm for the last time. Again she caressed his face, her hand ending up on his chest where she could feel it rising and falling rhythmically. For a moment, just a moment, she was tempted to slip her hand inside his shirt. The thought quickly made her remove her hand. She was not giving into any more impulses like that. Only her good side would influence her. Maybe that way the pernicious influence of the charm could be minimized.
 
Gradually she became aware of the song playing. It was one of the CD's Ichigo chose earlier. The song was `My Favourite Game'. As she listened to the lyrics she realised how relevant they were to the situation:
 
`I only know what I've been working for,
Another you so that I could love you more,
I really thought I could take you there,
But my experiment's not getting us anywhere'
 
She had sung that at the Karaoke bar!
 
`I hope Ichigo did not listen closely to the lyrics,' was her pained thought.
 
Orihime wrenched her mind away from those thoughts. She would agree with anything Ichigo wanted to do, except she would not eat in the burger chain. She still blamed the additives for this whole mess. Maybe she could make him suggest some place quiet.
 
`It can't get any worse than it already is, can it? How bad can it get? I've forgotten if each repeat will wipe his memory clear, or if he will carry the memories from one repeat to another once critical mass is achieved. Oh, why didn't I take notes? That would have been the sensible thing to do.'
 
Orihime realised that she was staring at Ichigo, in fact had hardly moved her eyes from him for the last 10 minutes. She knew his face so well; had studied it so often when she thought he wasn't looking. She gave into another impulse, telling herself this was the last time as she stroked his face gently with her hand, smoothing his hair, gently touching his closed eyelids, his lips.
 
Ichigo mumbled something. Quickly Orihime removed her hand and listened intently, but again could not understand what he was saying.
 
She looked at her watch. Only a few seconds. The charm warmed in her hand as she again invoked its power for what she promised herself would be the last time. `Kurikaesu. Repeat.'
 
xxxxxxxxxxxxxXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 
She welcomed the sensation as it overcame her for the final time. Again she heard the trigger phrase.
 
`Let's eat here,' said Ichigo.
 
Orihime examined Ichigo closely. He showed no sign of hangover. He looked confused again, but she was expecting that.
 
`Could you suggest somewhere else, Ichigo? I don't really like the food here,' Orihime replied brightly, trying to distract him quickly.
 
Ichigo frowned. `Somewhere else?' He paused as he considered. `I thought maybe the pizza and pasta all you can eat place, but for some reason I'm not interested. I feel like I know what to expect, but I've never been there, or have I? I seem to have this memory of eating there with you. Weird.' He paused again scratching his head, lost in thought. `There is a place I'd like to try. It's slightly out of the way, but it should be pretty quiet. Ever had Mexican food?'
 
`No. I've heard interesting things about it, though,' Orihime replied hesitantly.
 
`Chad told me about it. It's only new and hasn't become really popular yet. I've always wanted to try the spicy food from Mexico. It's this way,' Ichigo said as he led the way.
 
For a moment Orihime thought they were heading the same way as the Karaoke bar, but Ichigo turned down a different street. She sighed with relief, scared that retracing their steps might bring back the memories. She gradually began to pay attention to what Ichigo was saying.
 
`I had this strange feeling of déjà vu when we were outside the burger chain. I don't often feel like that, or do I? I remember feeling like that before, only recently. I don't know what's going on inside my head. I keep having these half remembered ideas, but when I concentrate they seem to get confused with other things,' Ichigo was saying.
 
`The critical mass and the alcohol are making him remember far too well,' thought Orihime. `This has to be the last repeat. I don't want him to remember everything.' She blushed at the thought of him remembering her naked, or the first disastrous attempt at the science project.
 
`I must distract him, but how, without reminding him of things we've discussed?' Orihime wondered, concerned at the way he was thinking. `What topic can we talk about? Global warming? Too intense. Politics? Too boring. The weather? Too banal. I can't talk about music or computer games. Maybe if I ask what manga he likes? I think it will have to be that.'
 
`Ichigo, what manga do you like? I want to read something different from shojo, and I thought you might have some ideas,' she asked desperately.
 
Ichigo stopped walking and looked at her surprised. `Manga? Where did that come from? We've never discussed manga. Music and computer games, and people, but never manga. Hold on, have we discussed music, games and people? When did that happen?' Ichigo rubbed his forehead, confused.
 
`Do you like Rouroni Kenshin?' Orihime asked quickly.
 
Ichigo looked at her. `Yeah, it's not bad. When I was younger I wanted to be a duellist like Yu-Gi-Oh, but found I didn't have the patience to learn the powers and abilities of the cards. Still I liked the manga,' Ichigo said and started walking again.
 
`I've watched the anime,' Orihime said hesitantly.
 
`You should read the manga. I prefer it, though the anime's pretty good. I also really liked Zombie Powder. Full Metal Alchemist is great. So's One Piece and Naruto. Look, why don't I loan you some? We'll go back to my place after school tomorrow and you can choose the ones you want to read. Stay for dinner. We can finish up the science project at the same time, if we don't finish it tonight. I'll make sure we're not interrupted. I'll bribe Karin or something,' Ichigo suggested.
 
Orihime felt a sense of delighted surprise. `Ichigo is inviting me over to his house for dinner. He's never done that before. I can't believe it. I'm so excited. Maybe the charm is helping after all.'
 
Orihime beamed at Ichigo. `That's really nice of you, Ichigo. I'd like that very much. We must try to get as much work done tonight as possible.'
 
They had arrived outside a brightly coloured shop. The inside walls were covered with gaily patterned tiles. The look was very different. It looked clean, cool and inviting.
 
`I think this must be the place, Orihime,' Ichigo said. `Yeah, that's the right name'
 
They entered to find the restaurant deserted. Orihime breathed a quiet sigh of relief. No more critical mass effect at least, except for the staff.
 
As they were seated Orihime found her attention diverted by the music.
 
`That's nice music. I haven't heard that type before,' she commented.
 
Ichigo looked up from the menu he was studying. His eyes brightened as he listened and remarked,' Yeah, that's flamenco. A Spanish type of music. Chad plays it sometimes, when he's thinking.'
 
`Oh,' said Orihime, intrigued by this side of Chad she didn't know.
 
`You should ask him to play for you sometime. He's good,' said Ichigo.
 
`I don't think I could do that,' Orihime said, flustered. `I don't really know Chad that well. I mean we trained together, but we aren't um,' she faltered unable to express what she meant in words.
 
`Don't worry about it. Next time we have a party I'll ask Chad to bring his guitar. You'll come too, won't you?' Ichigo asked casually.
 
Orihime was again surprised at the overwhelming emotion she felt at Ichigo's invitation. She blushed and looked at her menu trying to avoid Ichigo's eyes.
 
`It's really nice of you to ask Ichigo. Of course I'll come. Just let me know when and where,' she replied quietly.
 
Her heart was racing and the menu shook in her hands. `I must find a way of proving I can take care of myself,' she thought. `He has never been this thoughtful before. I find myself drawn to him more than ever. I want to ease his loneliness. I want to hold him while he's conscious. Is it possible to fall in love with him even more than I am, because I think I love him more than ever.' The thoughts made her blush harder.
 
Quickly scanning the menu, Orihime became a little lost. This food seemed so different. Chicken with chocolate sauce? Surely that couldn't be right? She quickly looked through the rest of the menu. There were some things that sounded interesting.
 
`I'm pretty hungry. Would you mind if I ordered and we just shared the food? I'd like to try a lot of different things. Oh, look there's a special. You get to try a selection of seven dishes, two entrees, three mains and two desserts,' Ichigo said.
 
`Seven,' thought Orihime. `It must be a sign. This is the seventh repeat.'
 
`It says it would serve three people, or two teenagers. Do you think they're serious? I want to try it. You don't get to select what you have, that's the only problem,' Ichigo continued.
 
`Can we just check that it doesn't include the chicken in chocolate sauce,' asked Orihime hesitantly.
 
Ichigo laughed. `Yeah. I'm not too keen to try that, either. I like to try new stuff, and I'm sure it would be great, but not tonight.'
 
The waitress returned to take their order and Ichigo asked about the special.
 
`Tonight's special is Guacamole, Salad Huevos Rancheros, for entrée. The mains are Hot Chicken and Capsicum, Burritos and Baked Fish with Tomatoes and Cheese.'
 
A loud crash came from the kitchen and then some swearing; loud swearing which could be heard above the music.
 
The waitress looked toward the kitchen.
 
`Excuse me. I better check on that,' she said as she hurried toward the kitchen. The volume of the music increased, covering the sound of raised voices.
 
Ichigo looked at Orihime. `I wonder if the menu will change,' he said.
 
“Do you know what Huevos Rancheros is?' Orihime asked.
 
`The menu describes it as a poached egg salad with Mexican sausages. The special sounds pretty good so far,' Ichigo said looking at the menu.
 
The waitress came back looking flushed.
 
`Sorry about that. We've only opened this week and my husband is still getting used to the kitchen. I'm afraid that one of the deserts for the special has changed. I had hoped to offer you Mexican Chocolate Flan, but that's all over the kitchen floor,' the waitress said.
 
`I hope no one was hurt,' Orihime said.
 
The waitress laughed. `Only his pride. So the desserts are Fruit Empanadas and Fruit Salad, unless you would prefer Churros.'
 
Ichigo looked at Orihime. `I'd like to try it. Would you?'
 
`Yes. It sounds good,' she agreed.
 
`Okay,' said the waitress, turning to go to the kitchen.
 
`Do you know Chad?' Ichigo asked the waitress quickly.
 
`Chad? No. I don't know anyone by that name,' she replied turning back.
 
`He told me about this place. I thought he said he knew the owners,' Ichigo said looking puzzled.
 
`He means Yasutora Sado. Ichigo likes to call him Chad,' explained Orihime.
 
`Oh, Sado. Yes, I know him. I've tried to interest him in playing guitar here on the weekend, but he doesn't seem keen. Are you friends of his?' the waitress asked.
 
`Yeah, we go to the same school,' Ichigo said.
 
`I think I've heard him mention you. Your name is Ichigo?' Looking at him closely she murmured, `Orange hair, tall, must be the guy.'
 
`That's the name,' said Ichigo.
 
`I'm Lily,' Lily said extending her hand to shake Ichigo's. `And your pretty friend?'
 
`I'm Orihime,' Orihime replied, blushing.
 
`As you're friends of Chad's I'll make sure you get the best of everything, not that there's much competition,' Lily said looking around the nearly empty restaurant. `I hope business picks up. I better get this order to the kitchen.'
 
Orihime watched her go.
 
`She seems nice,' was her comment.
 
`Mmmm. Hope the food won't take long. I'm pretty hungry. I missed out on lunch today. I had to kill a hollow and Keigo threw my lunch at Mizurio because he was jealous about something. I don't know the full story. Nor do I care very much. I don't listen to their squabbling, if I can help it,' Ichigo said looking toward the kitchen hopefully.
 
`That explanation again. This better be the last repeat,' Orihime told herself.
 
`I'm sorry to hear that,' she replied.
 
Ichigo looked confused for a moment.
 
`Did I tell you that earlier? I remember, no, I think I remember saying it before,' Ichigo started but was interrupted as Lily returned with the entrees.
 
They entrees were large, very large. Ichigo quickly stared to eat. Orihime watched for a few minutes and then served herself.
 
It did not take them long to finish, as Ichigo did not talk at all. Orihime was again surprised at how quickly he could eat.
 
Lily removed the plates and brought out the mains.
 
`Eat more slowly,' she instructed Ichigo. `It's not a race and I don't think Orihime will eat more than her share,' Lily said winking at Orihime.
 
Ichigo looked surprised.
 
`You're not used to Mexican food. It can give people indigestion if they eat too fast. Anyway, it's polite to make conversation when you're dining out with someone,' Lily said as she left.
 
Looking at the stunned expression on Ichigo's face, Orihime tried to suppress a giggle, but it escaped. Ichigo turned a hurt look in her direction.
 
`I'm sorry, Ichigo,' said Orihime, still giggling.
 
`She sounds like a mother, doesn't she?' Ichigo said, smiling sheepishly.
 
Orihime smiled at Ichigo but did not reply.
 
`Let's talk about something else,' he said.
 
They ate leisurely as they discussed the work they needed to do. Lily returned and smiled as she heard them talking.
 
`Much better. You both look more relaxed. Do you want dessert now, or do you want to wait?' Lily asked.
 
`Now, please. We've got some work to do,' Ichigo explained.
 
`Oh. I thought you were on a date,' Lily said.
 
Waiting for a passionate denial Orihime was surprised to hear Ichigo reply calmly:
 
`Not a date. Just eating together.'
 
Looking at his face Orihime saw he was smiling faintly.
 
`He didn't get upset this time. I wonder why,' were Orihime's thoughts.
 
After dessert they paid and left, wishing Lily well and promising to come back with Chad, soon.
 
`Good food, nice place. I'll definitely go back,' Ichigo said.
 
Walking down the street, his attention was drawn to a sign outside a new shop.
 
`Oi, Orihime, look at this. A new laser game centre. You can go in and play immediately `cause they're new and it's discounted. I've always wanted to try this, but I hate having to organise it weeks in advance.' Ichigo looked at the entrance in anticipation.
 
Sighing, Orihime said, `Do you want to try it out Ichigo. It might be fun.'
 
He was halfway in the door before he replied, `Yeah, let's do this.'
 
Trailing behind him unenthusiastically, she reminded herself, `I said that I would agree with anything Ichigo wanted to do. He wants to do this. I'll try to be enthusiastic. I was very selfish during the last repeat.'
 
As she entered she saw Ichigo talking to a large male who was smiling at Ichigo's enthusiasm.
 
`We've got a group just about to go in who are two short. You won't know anyone, but you can join them if you want,' he told Ichigo and Orihime.
 
He explained the cost which Ichigo promptly paid for them both and led them into the assembly area.
 
`These people will be joining you. I think they should be on the same team,' he told the 10 people who were waiting. They were all in their 20's but they smiled politely at Ichigo and Orihime.
 
`Please, be on the Blue Team with me,' requested a smiling man.
 
`Thanks,' Ichigo said.
 
Everyone listened to the instructions and put on the appropriate equipment. All the time Orihime was worrying about the critical mass and the effect the additional people would have on Ichigo's memory. She pushed the thought aside as she looked at her watch.
 
`We don't have a great amount of time left for this repeat,' she told herself. `I'll just enjoy Ichigo's company while I can. I'll never have this sort of opportunity again.'
 
She smiled at Ichigo who looked at her in seeming confusion.
 
`Orihime, have we ever played any Zelda computer games, together?'
 
`How can I answer such a direct question with a lie? Should I tell the truth?' Orihime opened her mouth, trying to work out a response when a voice asked:
 
`Are you all ready now? Remember the rules. This is for fun. Don't take it seriously and any person who disobeys the rules will be removed, immediately. No refund and you'll be banned for life.'
 
Orihime sighed with relief. The announcement had distracted Ichigo from her answer.
 
They entered the game area. The lights were dim, loud music was playing and the door shut behind them.
 
`Blue team. Defend the base,' yelled the Blue Team leader.
 
For the next 5 minutes Orihime followed Ichigo, getting shot at many times and only occasionally returning fire. She was not very happy.
 
Then she realised, `I could try harder and prove that I can take care of myself,' Orihime started to get into the feel of the game, often accidentally shooting her Blue Team mates, but also scoring a few hits on the Red Team. She stopped following Ichigo and started sneaking up on the other team.
 
The 15 minutes passed quickly. When they were told the time was up, Orihime was disappointed.
 
They went out and replaced their equipment. Ichigo and Orihime thanked the Blue Team for allowing them to join.
 
As they left the building Ichigo commented, `That was great. I didn't know you could be that sneaky, Orihime. This has been a great night so far, but I suppose we better go and work on the science project.'
 
They walked to Orihime's place discussing the laser game.
 
`You know what might be fun, is to get the gang together and go back there. We could eat in the Mexican restaurant and then play a few games, make a night of it. I'd have to be on the opposing side to Keigo, though,' Ichigo said. `Would you be on my team, Orihime?'
 
This offer stunned Orihime. `That's three times tonight he's invited me to something. What's going on?'
 
She looked at him closely. He smiled at her.
 
`I don't know why, but I've been wondering if you're lonely since your brother died,' Ichigo said. `I feel that I know you so well and I'm sure my family like you,' Ichigo frowned. `Why did I say that?'
 
`Of course I'll be on your team,' Orihime assured Ichigo. `I think it's a good idea. Let's organise it soon, before we get too busy with school work. I'll book the laser game if you want.'
 
`Okay,' said Ichigo his frown clearing.
 
As they entered her apartment Ichigo looked a little dazed.
 
`It's almost like coming home,' he said distractedly. `Can I put on some CD's?' he asked moving toward the place she kept them.
 
`Yes, of course,' she said anticipating his next comment.
 
Ichigo picked up a CD. `I wanted to hear this, but I have this strange memory of listening to it before, but that's not possible, is it? You borrowed it from Tatsuki, didn't you?'
 
`Yes, Ichigo. Maybe you overhead us talking about it,' Orihime said quickly.
 
`That must be it,' he said as he put the CD in the player. As the music began Orihime tired to distract him.
 
`I've had an idea,' she began.
 
Ichigo looked at her strangely and frowned and then looked at the floor. `I'm not sure I want to hear it,' he said quietly. `I think I remember you said that once before and …' Ichigo blushed.
 
`Which idea is he remembering? Please don't let him remember the experiments,' she thought fearfully, watching him carefully. Her stomach lurched.
 
`We ended up in a Karaoke bar,' he finished.
 
Orihime relaxed a little but her stomach felt strange.
 
`Why am I having these strange memories? They can't have happened, can they?' Ichigo asked looking worried. `I'm beginning to doubt my memories.'
 
Orihime felt a strong surge of guilt. Instead of everything becoming better, Ichigo was worried about his memory. Her heart sank. She looked at him, the pain must have reflected in her eyes.
 
`Do you know something, Orihime? Am I going insane?' Ichigo asked nervously noticing the pained look in her eyes.
 
`You're not going insane, Ichigo. You are under a lot of stress at the moment. You take your responsibilities very seriously, I know that and I'm not sure if you've really recovered from our visit to Soul Society. I often have weird memories of things that haven't happened,' she said equivocating, not daring to tell him the truth and hating herself more every minute.
 
`Maybe we should start work on the science project,' she suggested weakly. She was feeling nauseous.
 
As she watched Ichigo, she thought he was going to ask another question. Instead he shrugged and began to remove his books from his bag with the worried look still on his face.
 
Preparing for the work ahead Orihime decided to tell Ichigo something that she had never told anyone before. It was true and painful, but it might provide some reassurance.
 
`After my brother died, I completely forgot he had died for a fortnight. I kept expecting him to come home from work. I would prepare meals for both of us and got worried when he didn't arrive. Then I'd ring the police station to find out if he had been in an accident. They were very kind, but each time they told me, as gently as they could, that he had died, it was like he had died that day. I would feel the same grief but I would forget again by the next morning. At the same time I had difficulty distinguishing dreams from reality. Nothing seemed real except the news of his death, and I had to be told over 14 times that he was dead before I could accept it. When I finally accepted he was dead I feared that I had gone insane. It took me a long time to be sure what was real,' Orihime looked at Ichigo, trying to control her emotions. Her nausea increased.
 
Ichigo was staring at her. `I, I didn't know,' he said shaken by her disclosure.
 
`No one knows. I didn't tell anyone. It is hard to admit to fears about your sanity.'
 
`I won't tell anyone. Trust me. I am honoured that you chose to tell me,' Ichigo said sincerely, looking into her eyes intently.
 
`I had to tell you. You doubt your memories, and I want you to know that you are not the first person to do so. It'll pass, I'm sure of it,' Orihime said hopefully.
 
Guilt beat at her in waves. Her good side implored her to tell the truth but she resisted. If she told Ichigo the truth he would hate her and she wouldn't blame him. This whole mess had started because she was scared she would lose his friendship. When she felt guilty it often affected her stomach and the strength of the guilt made her physically sick.
 
`Excuse me,' the words blurted out of her mouth as she ran to the bathroom. She made it to the toilet just in time, but had not pushed the door completely closed before she vomited. Tears poured down her face as her stomach emptied. She was shaky and was not sure her legs could bear her weight, so she dropped to her knees.
She did not hear the tapping at the door and received a shock when she felt her hair lifted and a cool flannel was placed on the back of her neck.
 
`I don't think it's food poisoning from dinner,' she heard Ichigo say, concern evident in his voice. `I feel fine. Maybe you're coming down with a virus. It's okay, Orihime. Remember I've seen all this before and worse. I'll help you,' he reassured her.
 
 
Trying to control herself, Orihime swallowed convulsively and ended up coughing. Ichigo patted her gently on the back.
 
`I think you should get up, rinse your mouth and wash your face,' he suggested.
 
Orihime staggered to her feet and almost fell as her knees gave way. Ichigo caught her and supported her, helping her to reach the sink. He continued to support her as she cleaned herself up. Gradually the strength returned to her legs.
 
`Thanks, Ichigo. I'm fine now,' she said, eager to appear strong after her display of weakness.
 
`If you're sure.' He let her go and looked at her anxiously. `Are you going to be sick again?'
 
Shaking her head, Orihime hoped it was true. Leading the way out of the bathroom, she went and sat at the table.
 
`Are you intending to work on the project?' Ichigo asked incredulously.
 
`Of course,' she smiled at him shakily. `I'm sorry about that. I might be allergic to something we ate, maybe some additives,' she lied. `I'd hate to think that we didn't get any work done because of me.'
 
`If you're sure,' Ichigo replied.
 
Before he sat down Ichigo poured a glass of water and insisted Orihime drink it. When she finished, he sat next to her at the table, not on the opposite side. Noticing this she felt another wave of guilt.
 
Resolutely, she applied herself to the work. Remembering all the work they had done she directed their work carefully, advising Ichigo gently when he made a mistake. In many ways it was a relief to have to concentrate on something as it quietened her other thoughts.
 
Gradually the work and discussion absorbed both of them. It came as a shock to hear Ichigo say:
 
`Normally, I hate science projects, but this one has been a bit more interesting than most. I didn't know science appealed to you so much.'
 
The trigger phrase, altered, but still there. Checking her watch, Orihime confirmed that it was indeed the trigger phrase. Only about