Bleach Fan Fiction ❯ Secrets Of An Unworthy Heart ❯ A Promise Is A Promise ( Chapter 2 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

The rain began in the early hours before sunrise, tentative at first, leaking from the clouds one drop at a time. Ever so slowly the Heavens released their watery burden onto the parched earth below. Torrents of water beat down upon the ground and were greedily sucked into the thirsty soil. A lone cave stood out from the bleak landscape, carved into the jagged walls of the rock shelf that jutted up from the earth and across the plain for as far as the human eye could see. It was the lone bit of shelter from the cool rain.
 
Inside a small fire burned warmly, chasing away the morning chill and damp air. It was the pounding rhythm of the downpour outside that awoke the single occupant. Opening her sapphire eyes, she blinked them wide and a smile played across her lips.
 
One year ago today he'd found her. One year ago today he'd saved her from her loneliness, wiped away her tears of despair and introduced her to a life of adventure. Gin…he was her protector, her friend; he was all things and everything. He made life bearable, gave her purpose and hope for a happy future. Without him she was certain she would have died long ago.
 
Rolling onto her back Rangiku splayed one hand lazily across her stomach and stared thoughtfully at the ceiling. Water had begun to seep through the ground above and was starting to pool in tiny droplets at the tips of hanging stalactites. Had it been a year already? Time passed so quickly when they were together that she could hardly believe it had been so long. It felt like mere days since they'd first met, but the chalk markings on the wall told her different. There was one for every day they'd been together. 365. Would he remember?
 
With a content sigh she pushed her body up and stretched out the morning stiffness. A lazy yawn escaped her lips, which she stifled with the back of her hand, as she went about her morning routine. Gin was gone, but then he usually was when she first awoke. He always left something for her to cook for breakfast. Today it was a couple of fresh fish. He never told her where he found the food, saying instead, "Don' worry yer pretty lil' head about it." After a while she'd stopped asking. What did it matter anyway?
 
She looked down with a grimace as her stomach grumbled loudly. It took only a moment to skewer the fish and set them atop the fire. The smell of their cooking flesh quickly permeated the cave and she took it in greedily, letting the warm vapours curl and settle in her stomach.
 
She always felt hungry. Even when she ate till her stomach felt ready to burst it was only a matter of hours before it grumbled again. Gin told her it meant that she was special. She believed him. She believed almost everything he told her, except when he teased her…he liked to do that a lot, but she didn't mind. It was always in good fun and it made her happy to see him laugh. He was too serious most of the time.
 
Rangiku pulled the fish from the flames and greedily picked at their steaming flesh, sucking on the burnt tips of her fingers as she slipped the chewy morsels past her lips. It troubled her that Gin never appeared famished as she so often was. He would watch her devour whatever was in front of her and then pick at the leftovers, but never complained of hunger himself. It was just his way. Gin didn't complain about anything. He told her not to worry about him, but she did anyways. How could she not care for the only person who'd shown her companionship in this world?
 
Her stomach full of warm fish, Rangiku stole away from the fire and stood at the mouth of the cave. She'd never seen it rain before. Extending her hand out curiously she withdrew it the second a cold drop splashed against her palm. Then, with a delightfully giddy laugh, she stepped out from the warmth of her shelter and allowed the rain to beat down upon her head. Turning her face to the skies she opened her mouth wide and drank up whatever wayward droplets happened to land atop her tongue.
 
It was exhilarating to be out there like that, free from the cave, free from the exhausting heat and dry air that normally plagued their days. She played in the rain for hours it seemed, jumping into puddles, squishing the muddied earth between her bare toes, digging up the clay to make small balls and pies. She couldn't remember the last time she'd been so happy without Gin around.
 
Remembering that she still hadn't seen him her brows knit together and a worried look came across her face. He should've returned by now. He never stayed out for long when he knew she was waiting for him. Had the weather kept him perhaps? Her eyes glanced heavenward and quickly shut when raindrops dripped into them. No…rain wouldn't keep him. She stood up, abandoning the mud patties at her feet, and journeyed back to the cave.
 
Maybe he'd been back for hours and didn't want to disturb her fun? With this new hope breathing life into her body she broke into a short run, pausing to catch her breath once she reached the mouth of the cave.
 
"Gin? You here?" she called inside, her voice sounding high and tight to her ears. Her face fell as her own voice echoed back to her.
 
Where is he?
 
Wrapping her arms around herself Rangiku pressed her back against the rocks and slid to the ground, not caring that the mud was dirtying her clothes beyond recognition. The rain continued to beat down upon her, plastering her cropped hair to her face in stringy tendrils.
 
Has he left me?
 
The numbing thought made her vulnerable heart stall in her chest. Her breath stopped as she looked out into the wasteland before her. There was no sign of him on the horizon.
 
Her hope slowly faded along with the daylight that illuminated the grey skies above. As day turned to night whatever remained of her hope disappeared and she gave herself up to despair. Again she was alone. Again she was lost and helpless. Hot tears leaked from her eyes to mingle with the cool droplets of rain against her cheeks. Resigning herself to defeat, she bowed her head and rested it against her forearms, silent sobs to racking her tiny frame.
 
How could he have gone without even a goodbye?
 
"What're you doin' out here? Yer soaked to tha bone!" Her head snapped up, eyes blurred with tears, but she recognized the silver mop of hair and sea green eyes staring intently down at her.
 
"Gin?" she whispered his name into the night, unwilling to trust her eyes. She'd been so certain he was never coming back.
 
"You all right?" he questioned, his brows coming together in a frown.
 
Her clothes were practically translucent from the rain and she was covered in mud. The shiver that shuddered through her small frame didn't escape his notice, and neither did the ghostly pallor of her skin. Had she waited outside for him all this time? He kicked himself for not returning sooner. How could he have let this happen?
 
When Rangiku let out a strangled sob and leapt into his arms he held her tight and stroked her back.
 
"I was so afraid Gin. I thought you'd left," she half whispered, half sobbed as he led her inside and began to strip off her sopping wet clothes.
 
 
She let him undress her without complaint, her body shivering as the cool air washed over it. Her eyes watched him move to methodically place her clothes, one article at a time, next to the fire so they could dry. She still couldn't believe he'd returned.
 
She gazed at him with wide, curious eyes as he pulled a package out from inside his kimono and un-wrapped it. The paper was tossed into the dying fire to revive its flames and in the dim light she saw that in his hands was a new robe. It was dark, the fabric dyed sapphire blue to match her eyes. He slipped it over her shoulders and tied the obi at her waist. Stepping back he looked at her approvingly and nodded his head.
 
"Happy Birthday," he said gently, nodding his head towards the kimono. Rangiku was stunned.
 
"B-but I don't have a birthday…" she whispered embarrassed.
 
She couldn't remember anything about herself apart from her name. She had no idea where she'd come from, who her family was, or even how old she was. Her cheeks had burned bright red the first time Gin asked her about her past. When she'd told him in a low voice that she didn't know she was certain he'd turn her away, but he'd surprised her that day. He told her he didn't care what'd happened before because as far as he was concerned they were starting over. A new life, a new adventure…together.
 
"Well since you don' have an official birthday, I figured today's a good a day as any," he explained with a half shrug. Rangiku's hands dropped and traced the soft fabric skimming her body. The dry material felt warm against her skin but she shivered from the cold that'd long since seeped into her bones. It was the most beautiful thing she'd ever seen. She told him as much but he shrugged the compliment off and turned his attentions to the fire to hide the faint blush that'd risen to his cheeks.
 
As the fire began to peter out she let out an exhausted yawn and looked longingly at her bed. It was definitely time to sleep. The emotional stress from earlier had drained her to the point where she could hardly keep her eyes open. Gin was already up, rearranging his blankets and pillow to make them comfortable. He paused when he heard her get up, his hands freezing in place above his sheets. After a moment he turned to look at her over his shoulder.
 
"You can stay wit me if ya want," he offered gently.
 
Rangiku paused, her body hovering over her sleeping blankets, and gaped at him in surprise. Gin had never offered to let her sleep with him before, always insisting that he liked his space. She'd wanted to stay with him before of course, just to feel the touch of a friend, to feel his warmth against her skin and know that he was real.
 
Sometimes she'd have horrific nightmares that it'd all been a dream. She would sit bolt upright in her bed, her body covered in a cold sweat, and stare into the darkness of the cave in a blind panic. Then she'd hear the reassuring sound of Gin's soft snores… Most times she'd lie down again, her body lulled back sleep, but other times she longed to reach out and touch him just to be sure. This was one of those nights when she didn't want to be alone.
 
"It's okay?" she asked hesitantly, her heart hammering excitedly in her chest.
 
He nodded his head in the dark, replying with a muted "Yea."
 
Abandoning her cold bed she stumbled over to him in the dark and slipped beneath the warmth of his blankets. He put his arm protectively around her waist and held her close. The warmth of his body seeped through the thin material of her kimono and spread across her skin. It was a cold night and she hadn't stopped shivering from before. His heat helped though and after a few minutes she felt her body begin to relax in his embrace. Just as her eyes fluttered and began to drift shut, she felt him shift behind her.
 
"I'm sorry."
 
"For what?" she whispered back, her eyes stubbornly closing. She could feel sleep hovering not too far off.
 
"For makin' ya worry. I'd never leave ya like that."
 
His voice was determined, hard even. Rangiku remained silent for a moment, thinking over his words. She stirred in his arms and shifted her body closer to his.
 
"Promise?" she asked, opening her eyes to focus on the dying light of the fire.
 
"Yea, I promise."
 
His simple affirmation was all she needed to hear. Closing her eyes she fell asleep with a smile on her lips and a feeling of weightlessness in her heart. He promised he'd never leave and she believed him. She trusted him with her whole heart
---
Author's Note:Wow! Thank you to everyone who reviewed! It was much appreciated and prompted me to post this next chapter ASAP. I'd like to know what you think of it.
Also…I know that in the anime Gin's eyes (when he opens them) are a blood red colour. This was only done because the Gin manga cover hadn't been printed yet when the episode came out. Gin's eyes (according to the manga) are actually a green sort of colour so I'm going to stick with that.
Thanks for taking the time to read this! Until next time…