Bleach Fan Fiction ❯ Zanpaku-to? ❯ Seized Opportunity ( Chapter 15 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
 
Tite Kubo owns Bleach. I just borrowed the characters, except for Atonomatsuri and `Piecrust' who are my creations.
 
Seized Opportunity
 
“It's hard to explain, Captain. You've never tried to control your reiatsu before. Maybe if you do something that drains your spirit energy,” Madarame suggested.
 
“Any suggestions?” Zaraki asked heavily.
 
“I told you. Two eye patches,” Atonomatsuri repeated.
 
“I'm tired of that particular joke,” he said to her mentally. Then he realised he knew something that would suppress his reiatsu. “How do a get a sample of your poison?” he asked. “Is there some in the blade, or do you have to appear?”
 
“Dear me. Thinking again are you Kenny? There is plenty of sound in an empty barrel. The blade does carry some poison. If you press the third skull a small stiletto will emerge. The stiletto is poisoned.”
 
“You actually answered? You didn't make me go through twenty kinds of hell to get an answer?” Zaraki asked Atonomatsuri.
 
“I promised I'd give a sample to Retsu, which I guess you wish to do. If you want respect, show others you respect them. I like Retsu,” Atonomatsuri replied.
 
“I think we might make a visit to Captain Unohana,” Zaraki told Madarame.
 
“At this hour?” Madarame asked.
 
“Yes, now. I don't want to wait hours until it's a reasonable time, unless you want me to cut you so I have a valid reason for waking her,” Zaraki suggested.
 
Madarame paled. “No, thanks. Not with that blade.”
 
“Then why are you hesitating? Come on.” Zaraki paused to will his blade back to its normal state.
 
He set off at a brisk pace toward 4th Division. Madarame had to run to keep up.
 
When they arrived, the Shinigami on duty appeared reluctant to wake Retsu. After a few 4th Division Shinigami were reminded how Zaraki gained his reputation, Retsu emerged to see what was causing the commotion.
 
“Zaraki? What are you doing? Why did you punch Iemura? He has a black eye. Why are you attacking my people?” Retsu asked bluntly.
 
Zaraki felt himself flush. “Ur, sorry Retsu. I asked nicely, but no one would fetch you. I lost my temper. Iemura was being particularly painful. He looked scared, and then he dithered when I asked him to wake you. It irritated me so I punched him. I didn't try to cut him.”
 
Retsu looked at him and raised an eyebrow. “Asked nicely?” she questioned.
 
Madarame covered his mouth with his hand to hide a smile.
 
“I asked, okay?”
 
“I heard you asking in my sleep. Your “asking nicely” woke me. The asking sounded more like the demands of an elderly angry walrus, than someone asking nicely,” Retsu replied.
 
Zaraki glared at Retsu. “I don't sound like a walrus. I asked nicely. Madarame tell her,” He turned to look at his third seat that had turned away from Zaraki.
 
“Madarame, answer me,” Zaraki said.
 
“He's laughing, but he's trying to hide it,” Atonomatsuri observed. “I think you sounded like an angry walrus. Maybe he does too. A statement once let loose cannot be caught by four horses.”
 
Zaraki sighed angrily. “I'll ignore your comment, Retsu. I need to talk to you, privately.”
 
Retsu looked at Zaraki as if considering his request and then nodded slowly. She held the door open and gestured for Zaraki to follow her.
 
“Stay here Madarame. We'll talk about this later,” Zaraki ordered.
 
Zaraki followed Retsu into her office. “Please sit down, Captain,” she said, seating herself behind her desk.
 
“Damn it, Retsu. What are you so formal? I thought we were friends,” Zaraki commented.
 
“Friends? Perhaps. But you were not acting in a friendly manner to my people,” Retsu stated.
 
“Tell them not to irritate me and I won't punch anyone,” Zaraki replied.
 
“If you treat everybody courteously, it will surprise you how courteous they all become,” Atonomatsuri said.
 
Zaraki ignored her comment.
 
“I am also not pleased by the number of your recruits who ended up here yesterday. I believe that one is no longer your recruit. He's still here, suffering from exhaustion. I understand he is being transferred to the 13th Division. A few others recruits came, complaining of exhaustion and sore feet. The recruit suffering from the “Y” shaped cut. What's his name, Yuki? He propositioned Isane and was rather unpleasant when he was rejected. Due to an “accidental injection” he's still here under sedation. Would you please arrange for someone to fetch him before he awakens?” Retsu asked.
 
“That idiot. Yachiru has given him the nickname of “Piecrust” after he insulted Ayasegawa. Piecrust's an arrogant jerk. I'll get someone to take him back and dump him in some water,” Zaraki replied.
 
“Well, Captain. What was so important that you disturbed my division so early?” Retsu asked pointedly.
 
“I have a sample of the poison that you wanted. I wanted to give it to you,” Zaraki explained.
 
Retsu stared at Zaraki, an incredulous expression on her face, “You woke me for that?”
 
“Yeah. Is that a problem?” Zaraki asked.
 
Retsu picked up a pen and tapped it on the desk. “You could have waited until a reasonable hour. There was no need to attack anyone for this.”
 
“Okay. There's another reason. I need a weakened dose of it so I can lessen my reiatsu,” Zaraki explained reluctantly.
 
“Now it is becoming clear. It is for a personal reason, rather than an altruistic purpose. Why do you need to control your reiatsu?”
 
“My blade is too big,” Zaraki said.
 
Retsu's lips twitched. “Your blade is too big,” she repeated.
 
Zaraki scowled. He hated it when people repeated his words. It seemed probable that Retsu was trying not to smile. What was so funny about a big blade?
 
“If I can suppress my reiatsu, the blade will be smaller. I don't know how to control my reiatsu. As we know, the poison suppresses reiatsu. If I get a small dose of the poison, the blade will be smaller,” he reasoned.
 
Retsu moved back in her chair and thought for a moment before speaking. “You finally decided to summon your zanpaku-to again?”
 
“It's only been a day! I'm taking your advice. I need to train with it, but it's too big and bloody heavy.”
 
“Hmn. Where's the sample?”
 
Zaraki looked at his zanpaku-to and remembered he'd willed it back to its normal form. “It might be better if I went outside to get the sample,” he said uneasily.
 
“Or you could say my name,” Atonomatsuri said reasonably.
 
“I'm not falling for that,” Zaraki replied mentally. “I don't want you to use that barb on me again.”
 
“I won't Kenny. Come on, show me to Retsu. The Gods cannot help those who do not seize opportunities,” Atonomatsuri chortled.
 
Zaraki thought about allowing Retsu, or anyone, to see Atonomatsuri. He shook his head. The description was bad enough. The reality would be worse.
 
“There's a private courtyard just through there,” Retsu said indicating a door.
 
Zaraki went outside and after a short while returned, carrying the transformed zanpaku-to. Retsu stared at the blade, her eyes wide and her mouth open. She walked around the desk to look closer.
 
“I'm sorry for doubting you earlier, Zaraki. That blade is too big. I'd be surprised if anyone else could carry it, let alone lift it. Where's the poison?”
 
Zaraki felt a sense of relief that she had not made any comments on the decorations on the guard and hilt of the zanpaku-to. He pressed a skull, but nothing happened.
 
“The third skull, Kenny. That's the fourth. The sieve says to the needle: You have a hole in your head,” cackled Atonomatsuri.
 
Zaraki pushed the correct skull and a small stiletto was released.
 
“This should be coated with the poison,” Zaraki said handing the stiletto carefully to Retsu.
 
 
She took it from him gingerly, careful not to touch the blade. “I've never seen or heard of a zanpaku-to with a concealed stiletto,” she remarked. “Do you wish to wait here? Or would you prefer for me to send for you when I have finished my tests?”
 
“I was hoping I could watch you do the work,” Zaraki said.
 
“That's not a good idea. It may take some time and I need to concentrate. Also, if you stay here it may alert a certain other captain that you have provided a sample of the poison. I'll just take this away and remove the poison so I can return the stiletto. Wait here, please Captain Zaraki,” Retsu requested, as she left the room.
 
She quickly returned and handed the stiletto back to Zaraki who replaced it in his zanpaku-to and willed the blade back to its normal state.
 
Zaraki looked at the time. It was nearly 7.15. “Thank you. I'll be waiting to hear from you, Captain Unohana,” he said addressing her formally in return. “I have training that I need to supervise.”
 
“Don't forget to take your recruit,” Retsu reminded him.
 
“I wonder what upset her,” Zaraki mused as he left the building.
 
Madarame was idly annoying some of the members of 4th Division by making observations about how weak they were in comparison to 11th Division. Zaraki knew he was tying to incite one of them to fight him, but none of them seemed inclined to take umbrage at his words.
 
“Go and collect that fool we sent here yesterday,” Zaraki ordered Madarame. “I want him training today. It's nearly time.”
 
“He's still here? I didn't think Yumichika had hurt him that much,” Madarame said, surprised.
 
Zaraki looked at him. “From now on he's called Piecrust and he's an idiot. They sedated him. I want you to work him really hard today. Make sure he fails at everything. I want him to leave 11th Division voluntarily. That will make it harder for him to get accepted anywhere else. He should never have been admitted to the Academy. Arrogant jerks, who have an inflated opinion of their own abilities, have no place in protecting people. They make mistakes and only seek personal advancement.”
 
Madarame nodded and entered the building. When he returned he had the jerk slung over his shoulder. “Still sleeping,” he said. “I'll have to wake the moron up before I can get to work on him.”
 
They walked quickly back to the training ground. When they arrived Zaraki was satisfied to see that most of the division were there awaiting training. Ayasegawa smiled when he saw Madarame carrying Piecrust.
 
Madarame dumped Piecrust in a water barrel and he awoke with a yell.
 
“What're you doing,” Piecrust yelled, his eyes shut tight.
 
“Time for training, Piecrust,” Zaraki said meaningfully.
 
“Don't call me Piecrust. My name is Yuki or sir, and don't tell me it's time for training. I'm not well. I got wounded yesterday,” Piecrust said as he opened his eyes. Seeing who he had addressed in that manner, he went pale and quickly removed himself from the water barrel.
 
Zaraki had instinctively moved his hand to the hilt of zanpaku-to at the insult.
 
“Defend and one has a surplus.
Attack and one is insufficient,” Atonomatsuri said quietly.
 
“Another adage. Wait that's not an adage. Quoting: The Art of War? Why now?” Zaraki asked mentally.
 
“Don't attack the idiot. He's not worth the effort and he would be no fun for you. The mood you're in you'd kill him. Not a good idea. Let Madarame play with him. He's been watching him like a cat watches a mouse,” Atonomatsuri reasoned.
 
Zaraki stepped back and drew a deep breath. He then addressed Piecrust with heavy emphasis. “You will be fighting today. I have been assured that the wound is nearly healed already. I will call you whatever I wish, and at present I think you're lucky to be called Piecrust. I can think of better names to describe you, you worthless piece of meat.”
 
Madarame, Ayasegawa and Yachiru looked at Zaraki disbelievingly. He could see they were wondering why Piecrust was not dead at Zaraki's hand for his foolish words.
 
“I believe you wanted to attend to Piecrust's training personally, Madarame,” Zaraki grinned wolfishly at his third seat.
 
Madarame returned his grin and nodded with understanding.
 
“First, I think you and Ayasegawa should display your fighting skills, so the recruits can understand the level they should try to achieve.”
 
Zaraki then addressed his Division, “Before you watch the demonstration, I have some news for all of you. From now on I want you to learn the name of your zanpaku-to's. I want you to learn to release it and try to increase your skill with using it as much as possible. We have a threat before us unlike any we have encountered before. We need to employ any means possible to increase our strength. If that means talking to your zanpaku-to, then that is the way we will progress.”
 
“You must modify your dreams or magnify your skills,” Atonomatsuri said.
 
“You must modify your dreams or magnify your skills,” Zaraki said automatically and then realizing what he had said cursed under his breath.
 
“Damn the vulture. Now she's got me saying the dratted adages,” he thought angrily.
 
“We must always change, renew, rejuvenate ourselves; otherwise we harden,” Atonomatsuri said laughing, triumphantly. “I got you to repeat me, Kenny. I actually managed to get you to utter an adage in front of all these people.”
 
“Shut it, carcase. I'm not interested in your adages. They're just tired ideas repeated too often,” Zaraki told Atonomatsuri.
 
He looked at his Division. He found all the members staring at him with the exception of Ayasegawa, Madarame and Yachiru. Their faces showed a variety of expressions: fear, excitement, surprise. He didn't care. They should accept his decision. He was their Captain.
 
“If you have trouble with the change, then leave,” Zaraki barked, annoyed. “You have five minutes.”
 
No one left. They remained standing at attention.
 
“You've been warned,” Zaraki said. “Form a fighting square and we'll watch the third and fifth seat fight.” He addressed Ayasegawa and Madarame, “You two don't hold back. I want to see how much you've improved since I last watched. I want the recruits to see how real members of 11th Division fight. Don't release your zanpaku-to's; just fight straight. I want these recruits to understand that they need to fight properly before they try advanced moves.”
 
Madarame and Ayasegawa nodded and drew their zanpaku-to's.
 
“Ikkaku, try not to dirty my uniform,” Ayasegawa said.
 
“Try to stay away from my blade,” Madarame replied.
 
“I've never had trouble before,” Ayasegawa said evading the Madarames's first pass.
 
“How long has it been since we sparred?” Madarame asked feinting to the left and attacking with his right hand.
 
“About a month I think,” Ayasegawa said trying to get past Madarame's scabbard with a side swipe, and failing.
 
“Less talking, more sweating,” Zaraki instructed them.
 
“Okay, Captain. Just remembering his moves,” Madarame said evading a lunge.
 
“I'm insulted. How could you ever forget my moves? I never forget yours,” Ayasegawa complained kicking at Madarame's foot while stabbing downward. Madarame evaded both moves, just.
 
“Get serious,” Zaraki commanded them.
 
They locked blades, pushing hard against each other, trying to force the other one back. Neither would budge.
 
“Get on with it,” Zaraki said. “Fight each other. Stop trying to push each other back. Anyone can do that.”
 
They broke from the impasse. Ayasegawa spun around and quickly dodged the scabbard that Madarame aimed at his shoulder, but did not move quite fast enough to escape the cut from the zanpaku-to's blade.
 
“You cut my uniform,” Ayasegawa said. “That's even worse than making it dirty! Who's going to repair it?”
 
“That's your problem, isn't it?” Madarame laughed. Taking advantage of Ayasegawa's apparent agitation, he closed with him quickly, lashing out fast with his zanpaku-to and scabbard.
 
Ayasegawa evaded both blows without raising his zanpakuto. “You thought I wasn't paying attention, didn't you? You should know me better than that,” he said pettishly.
 
“Are you even trying?” Zaraki said, frustrated at their conversation. “Do you want me to join in?”
 
Ayasegawa and Madarame finally began to concentrate on the fight. The recruits watched every move, some of them open-mouthed with astonishment. They had obviously not viewed a demonstration of fighting skill before. Some of the more experienced members of the Division seemed to be murmuring to each other. Zaraki would not have been surprised to hear that some bets were being made about the eventual outcome of this fight.
 
Madarame and Ayasegawa were now trying to outdo each other. It was impressive to watch the feints, the stabbing blows, the side swipes. Neither was prepared to give in.
 
“That's enough for now,” Zaraki said.
 
They ignored him, because at that point Madarame snuck through Ayasegawa's guard and had his blade pointed at his friend's throat.
 
“My fight, I believe,” Madarame said smiling widely.
 
Ayasegawa swallowed. “This time. You were just lucky. I could have won so many times.”
 
“In your dreams, perhaps,” Madarame said.
 
“I think we might need another demonstration,” Zaraki interrupted. “Madarame and Ayasegawa will be matching each recruit with an experienced member of 11th Division for sparring.” He waited for the murmuring to die down. “It is the responsibility of the experienced member to train the recruits. Those who are not matched with a recruit will be matched with someone who has a technique that might be useful to learn. Madarame will show you how to begin training the recruits.”
 
Madarame wiped the sweat from his forehead. “Piecrust, come here. You are the recruit assigned to me.”
 
Zaraki almost laughed at the expression on Piecrust's face. He looked horrified. He was shaking his head.
 
“Can't I be matched to someone else?” Piecrust quavered.
 
“Are you disobeying a direct order from a superior?” Ayasegawa asked with feigned shock. “Didn't you learn your lesson yesterday?”
 
Piecrust was shaking his head. “You're picking on me,” he whined, “just because I said I wanted to be third seat.”
 
“Think of it as an opportunity,” Zaraki said casually. “If you can defeat Madarame, I might consider making you third seat in his place.”
 
Madarame smiled at Zaraki.
 
“Can I use kido?” Piecrust asked hopefully.
 
Zaraki glanced at Madarame who nodded thoughtfully.
 
“Yeah, sure, but 11th Division doesn't use kido, normally. Just this once you can use it. If you beat Madarame, you can continue to use it.”
 
Most of the experienced members of 11th Division were smiling, some were openly laughing at Piecrust's request.
 
“But if you use kido, then Madarame can use it, if he so decides. Got to be fair about this,” Zaraki said.
 
Piecrust's face fell, but then he brightened. “You said 11th Division don't use kido, didn't you?” he asked.
 
“I said, normally,” Zaraki replied.
 
Piecrust nodded, his eyes glittering with anticipation.
 
“On my command you can start,” Zaraki said.
 
Piecrust moved to the middle of the fighting square, unsheathing his zanpaku-to. He smiled pityingly at Madarame. “I'll be kind to you when I'm third seat,” he assured Madarame.
 
“I don't give a monkeys' curse what you do when you're third seat,” Madarame said.
 
“Commence,” Zaraki commanded.
 
Piecrust tried to deliver an initial blow at Madarame, but Madarame swayed out of his way. Piecrust was muttering under his breath, so Madarame hit him in the stomach with the hilt of his zanpaku-to
 
“You have to say the whole of the spell, if you want to use kido,” Madarame explained to the doubled up recruit.
 
He waited patiently while Piecrust recovered.
 
Piecrust stood up straight and threw some dirt at Madarame who had expected this type of action.
 
“Not very imaginative,” he said having evaded the move. “A dirty trick from a dirty cheat. Come on, Piecrust. Try actually fighting me. Show me some of your moves.”
 
Piecrust rushed at Madarame with his scabbard and zanpaku-to. A blow rang out and Piecrust's scabbard when flying through the air.
 
“Binding spell the first: SAI,” Piecrust mumbled quickly.
 
Madarame moved aside and Piecrust found he had bound another recruit, not his intended target.
 
“Binding spell the first: SAI,” Madarame said.
 
Zaraki laughed, watching Piecrust fall to the ground, caught by Madarame's spell.
 
“I told you that 11th Division doesn't normally use kido,” he explained to the fallen recruit. “You seem to believe your own lies rather than face reality. Release him Madarame. Fight him again.”
 
Madarame countered the spell and Piecrust staggered to his feet.
 
“Here, Yumichika, catch!” said Madarame as he threw his zanpaku-to to his friend. “I'm going to give this idiot a fighting chance. I'll only use my scabbard.”
 
Piecrust looked hopeful and rushed at Madarame, wielding both his blade and scabbard again. Madarame deflected both and hit his attacker on the head with a clenched fist.
 
“Do you even know how to guard?” Madarame asked curiously. “Are you sure you graduated from the Academy?”
 
“Graduated at the bottom of the Academy,” a voice called from the fighting square. “He was told he should join 4th Division.”
 
Piecrust spun in the direction of the voice. “That's not true,” he yelled angrily. “I wasn't in last place. I am a graduate of the Academy. Everyone there was jealous of my abilities. No one wanted to train me properly. I was always better than you.”
 
Zaraki left the fighting square and walked up to Piecrust. “It doesn't matter what position you graduated in,” he said firmly. “But you have to accept your limitations. You'll never be third seat unless you improve. From what I've seen in the last two days, your fighting skills are non-existent and you are unsuited for this Division.”
 
“I can learn, can't I?” Piecrust asked hopefully. “Give me a chance, please Captain.”
 
Zaraki scowled at him. He was about to order the recruit back to the Academy.
 
“Let me work on him,” Madarame said, with a smirk on his face. “Remember our earlier conversation, Captain?”
 
Zaraki nodded. He wanted the jerk to leave of his own accord.
 
“Get on with the rest of the training,” he ordered Madarame.
 
Madarame began to read a list of who was matched with whom. The division began to break up into sparring pairs.
 
Zaraki watched. He saw that the idea appeared to be working in the most part. When a recruit made a mistake, his partner would stop and explain the error, sometimes cuffing the recruit round the head if they repeated the same mistake. Watching Madarame and Piecrust, Zaraki noticed that while Madarame was working Piecrust hard, he was also trying to train him. It was wasted. No matter how many times Madarame showed Piecrust the right move, he kept repeating the mistake. It was almost as if he was doing it deliberately.
 
Zaraki called Madarame over. “I think he's trying to annoy you deliberately,” he said in a low voice.
 
“I know he is. He keeps muttering insults under his breath about bald guys and third seats. I'm fed up with him. Let me cut him.”
 
“Should we let Yachiru play with him? I think you'll kill him if you have to train him much longer,” Zaraki suggested.
 
Just then a messenger arrived. “Captain Unohana has requested your presence, Captain Zaraki,” she panted. “She says it's important.”
 
“Madarame, I trust you to take the best action,” Zaraki said as he left.
 
As he walked toward 4th Division, Zaraki mused on whether he should try training Piecrust himself. Maybe Atonomatsuri was right. He'd kill the idiot and it would be a waste of his time.
 
Once he arrived at 4th Division he was immediately shown to Retsu's office. She was seated behind the desk.
 
“You asked to see me, Captain,” Zaraki said formally.
 
Retsu smiled at him. “Formal, are we Zaraki?”
 
“You were formal this morning. I thought you preferred formality,” he replied.
 
“I'm never at my best when I've just woken up and find my Division in an uproar. You know how to make an impression, Zaraki,” she chided him gently.
 
Zaraki flushed at the reminder. “Yeah, well, it won't happen again.”
 
“Sit down, please,” she invited him.
 
“Thanks. Do you have anything for me?”
 
“I received this note,” she said pushing a piece of folded paper across the desk. “I think you should read it.”
 
Zaraki read the note. Startled he read the note again. He looked at Retsu.
 
“I was interested in the information contained in the note. I am rather amused by the wording, but I think it's pretty clear. It seems I have a spy in 4th Division.”
 
“How could Kurotsuchi obtain this information? Only you, Madarame and I knew why I was visiting you today,” Zaraki said.
 
“But everyone in 4th Division knew that you visited me today, very early. As neither you, nor Madarame were wounded it was might seem suspicious to his devious mind. Maybe he is guessing, but all the same, the demand for a sample is there. It's rather a poor attempt at blackmail. He's threatening to tell the Captain-General about the assault on his person if he does not receive, what does he call it? Oh, yes. “His due”. Strange terminology.”
 
“What will you do?” Zaraki asked.
 
“I've sent him a sample, of the poison you provided this morning. One thing I didn't know is that the poison doesn't like prolonged exposure to the air. The sample I took this morning has turned into an inert liquid that shows no sign of poison. It's a little denser than water, but that's the only unusual quality. When I sent the sample to Captain Kurotsuchi I included a note informing him that this is the only sample I managed to obtain. As I had no other sample when I sent it, I wasn't lying. I managed to make a few findings, but I will need another sample. Is that possible?”
 
Zaraki nodded.
 
After providing another sample to Retsu, he made his farewells and left only to find Madarame waiting outside for him.
 
“Bad news I'm afraid, Captain,” Madarame said, trying not to smile.
 
“What is it?”
 
“You made a suggestion before you left. I let Yachiru play with Piecrust,” Madarame admitted.
 
Zaraki looked at him. “Don't tell me.”
 
“He underestimated her. You know what happens when anyone does that. He insulted her. Told her to go and play with her dolls.”
 
Zaraki drew in a shocked breath. “That fool. He judges by appearance, not through understanding.”
 
“Yachiru enjoyed herself. She can be fast when she wishes. I had to bring him here because she cut him pretty badly. I think they've managed to stop the bleeding but it will take a while to stitch him up. I've been asked to stay around in case he causes any trouble. With any luck he might decide that 11th Division is not for him. Yumichika and Yachiru are supervising the rest of the training.”
 
“I'll go back and watch,” Zaraki said.
 
Zaraki wandered back to the training ground. How long would it be before he could start training? He was becoming impatient at the delays. He hoped Retsu could synthesise the poison quickly.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------
 
Author's note:
 
I couldn't resist torturing the jerk again. It was fun.
 
Thank you for reading this far and thank you especially to the people who review. I would particularly like to thank yuwa (again and yet again) and bairdie.
 
A few things, I may not have made clear:
 
1. Zaraki has not reached Bankai. If he had he would say “Bankai”, not “Yawn Atonomatsuri”.
2. I know Zaraki's zanpaku-to is not sealed. As it is not sealed, my imagination ran wild and formulated the idea that instead of just saying Atonomatsuri's name, he had to use a special word which in this case is “Yawn”, to make the blade change. In particular I was remembering that Renji says “Howl Zabimaru” when he's doing a particular type of attack. So do a number of other Shinigami.
 
Please review.
 
MS