Bleach Fan Fiction ❯ Zanpaku-to? ❯ Pot and Kettle ( Chapter 31 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Tite Kubo owns Bleach. I just borrowed the characters. I did create Atonomatsuri (the bird) and Piecrust (the jerk).
 
Pot and Kettle
 
The next morning, a loud, regular hammering on the door forced him into consciousness. His sleep had been peaceful except for some dreams about polishing his zanpaku-to. It seemed important in the dream, but at least no Hollows or pink and black vultures infested his thoughts. If that could be true in his waking world he'd be a lot happier.
 
He turned on the light and answering the door he saw it was still dark and a messenger from the Captain-General was kneeling at his door. “Yeah. What does he want now?”
 
“Captain Yamamoto has instructed all Captains to assemble at 1st Division immediately with their adjuncts,” the kneeling man told him, not looking at his face.
 
“It won't be immediately. It takes time do my hair and there's no way I'm appearing at a Captain's meeting like this. He can wait,” Zaraki growled feeling reckless.
 
The man paled slightly. “I'm not sure that's… ur Sir, I think you better get there fast,” he said, his voice trembling with fear. “The Captain-General is not in a good mood.”
 
Zaraki grunted and made a face. “Neither am I. I'll get there when I can. Yachiru hates getting up early. You go and wake her. Watch for flying objects.” He shut the door firmly, not wanting to hear any more arguments or hints that things were not going well.
 
As speedily as he could he dressed and managed to place his bells faster than normal, his thoughts providing a distraction from his usual struggle. Opening the door he saw Yachiru and Ayasegawa waiting for him, one yawning widely, her pink tongue showing while the other leant prettily on the wall, his eyes fixed on the door.
 
“Ken-chan. Ken-chan, it's really early. I don't like getting up this early. I was angry with the person who woke me, but he begged me not to hurt him, so I didn't, much. Do you think the Clo… someone is in trouble? I thought Pretty Boy should come as Baldy is still at 4th Division and the message did say adjuncts,” the words rattled out of Yachiru's mouth rapidly as he waited for her to pause for breath.
 
“We'll find out soon enough,” Zaraki told her while nodding at his 5th seat.
 
Yachiru jumped onto his back and they traversed the still dark streets quickly, speeding toward 1st Division, possibly to find the result of their planning. The early call meant something was happening.
 
Approaching the door he was amazed when both Yachiru and Ayasegawa were also permitted to enter the Captain-General's office. For a moment he felt like hesitating, thinking that they were discovered, but he noted that most of the other Captains were accompanied by more than one adjunct and the Captain less Divisions were well represented. The message had specified adjuncts so he realised he should not be surprised.
 
Kneeling in front of the Captain-General was Kurotsuchi. His position spoke of defiance and defeat. The natural arrogance of the man was countered by an aura of fear. Next to Captain Yamamoto was the replica of his chair, the coat and a pile of dolls. His expression was stern and he looked at each of the Captains and their adjuncts piercingly in turn as they took up their positions. Without Kurotsuchi, Zaraki expected to find his side even more deserted than normal, but the room was more crowded than he had seen it. Not for the first time he wondered why all the traitors had come from the odd numbered side and found he was muttering the question under his breath.
 
“Numbers are important, Zaraki. I've told you that before,” said an unwanted voice in his mind. “I could explain the theory behind each number if you wish and it may provide a better understanding,” Atonomatsuri offered.
 
He knew her offer was genuine. She did like to explain inconsequential things, for example the importance of numbers, but if it was anything directly relevant to him or of some importance she kept it to herself; but why was he even thinking about it? She was the way she was and he was stuck with her.
 
“Later,” he said, hoping the offer would make the bird stop clapping her beak.
 
“And it will be later,' she advised. “These numbers are significant to you, just as the number 11 is essential in understanding you.” There was an unexpected note to her voice, one that sounded almost pleading. Was it anything to do with the strange request she'd made earlier, about them becoming friends? Why now?
 
The last Captain, Ukitake, entered the room with his two unruly 3rd seats and a few other Shinigami from his Division. This time the third seats demeanour was controlled, unlike their normal rowdy behaviour. They glanced at the kneeling Captain and stood quietly behind Captain Ukitake whose face had registered no expression when he surveyed the scene before him. He nodded curtly to Zaraki as he took the position beside him. Zaraki returned the nod and his eyes slid to look at his some time adversary.
 
Waiting until everyone was quiet and the attention focused on him Captain Yamamoto spoke. “Recently we lost three Captains, one who aspires to sit on the throne of Heaven and his two supporters. Ambition may be encouraged under some conditions, but not here.” He paused heavily and looked steadily at Kurotsuchi.
 
No one seemed to move and even the sound of breathing in the room was muted. A faint sound of birdsong came through the open window as the sun rose above the horizon and the birds greeted the rising sun. “More damned birds. Is there no escaping from the species?” Zaraki thought briefly, but then forgot to follow the thought through as the Captain-General began to speak again.
 
“When former Captain Ichimaru failed in his duty in executing the ryoka, he was excused as we needed to prepare for the unknown enemy.”
 
Silence again fell and Zaraki knew, with almost complete certainty that Kurotsuchi would be pardoned. The Seireitei were lacking three captains and to lose another while the Arrancar threat existed would be demoralizing.
 
“I made a mistake in pardoning the man at that time. If he had been prosecuted it is possible that we would not be in this current situation.”
 
There was a collective gasp at the last statement and most Captains cast confused glances at each other. Did that mean that the man kneeling in front of the Captain-General would be punished? Zaraki leaned forward, interested in what would happen next.
 
“The evidence we've found indicate that the 12th Division Captain aspires to take my position,” Captain Yamamoto stated blankly.
 
The hubbub that rose at his words drowned out any noises made by the dawn chorus of birds. No one seemed able to comprehend what was being said except for Captain Fon whose face was an impassive mask and Retsu. Both women had their eyes firmly fixed on the kneeling man. Zaraki felt glad he was not subject to that dual furious gaze.
 
Yamamoto continued, “You may wonder why I include more than the Captains in this meeting.”
 
“I do. Subordinates have no place here,” Kurotsuchi interjected but became silent at a quick cutting glance from the 1st Division Captain.
 
“You are not helping your case,” was the brief reminder. “This is because this affects many of you. It has been brought to my attention that someone has placed listening devices and cameras in many private quarters and offices. Captain Fon came to me this morning and showed me incontrovertible proof of these charges. A quick sweep revealed that only seated officers have been `blessed' with these devices. That is why you were encouraged to attend.”
 
This announcement made the room erupt. Zaraki had never heard such a clamour in one of these meetings before, but he understood. Privacy for Captains was important as they lived such a public life. They had believed that their quarters were a haven where they could relax and forget their responsibilities and that illusion was now shattered.
 
“Those aren't mine,” Kurotsuchi protested feebly his eyes not straying above ankle level.
 
The Captain-General banged his stick loudly on the floor and the noise slowly died away.
 
“Sir, would you kindly tell us what you mean about your position?” Captain Ukitake asked with his normal quiet deference.
 
“The situation is this. Captain Fon visited me early this morning to report that she had found a listening device and camera in her quarters. She accused the 12th Division of placing these items and urged that we visit the Captain. When we entered his quarters Kurotsuchi was asleep, seated in this copy of my chair, wearing this coat and surrounded by dolls made in the images of Shinigami as if he were holding a Captain's meeting. We have not yet found any evidence that the Captain is responsible for the other matter,” was the explanation given.
 
“I didn't plant to bugs or cameras and those things aren't mine. I was set up. None of these items are mine. I told you this earlier,” Kurotsuchi squealed. “It was Zaraki who did this.”
 
“Why are you accusing Captain Zaraki of this? Is this a ruse by you to blacken his name? I listened to your allegations against him only a few days ago.” was Kuchiki's cool question as he delicately raised an eyebrow. Moving toward the objects he picked up a doll and asked, “Sir, may I?” The Captain General nodded and the man began to examine the items closely.
 
“That's peculiar. You came and raved at me a good hour yesterday telling me that he'd lost the plot, Mayuri. You said he should be executed or demoted and what was the other thing? Oh yeah, you wanted to do tests on him, like you did on the Quincy's.” Captain Kyoraku said lazily. “Nanao got annoyed with you and told you to leave, didn't you dear, sweet Nanao?”
 
As the other captain spoke, the 6th Division Captain continued his scrutiny of the objects displayed. He even picked up the chair and examined the legs. The coat he unfolded and shook out, then searched the pockets, quickly glancing at the items within. An angry frown crossed his face when he saw the doll made in his image, but the frown vanished quickly. “The chair is well used, you can tell from the scratches on the woodwork and the seat is worn smooth by someone sitting on it regularly. The coat has been worn many times and there are items in the pockets that clearly belong to you, Captain Kurotsuchi. I believe this is your make-up? Finally, some of the dolls have been damaged, subtly, but it surprises me that Captain Zaraki's doll is intact. I would have expected it to display the most damage.”
 
“Blast. I should have thought of that. Replacing my doll was a mistake,” Zaraki thought briefly, but kept his mouth shut and his face expressionless.
 
“They're not mine. None of it belongs to me,” Kurotsuchi protested again nearly hysterical at the accusations. “The 11th Division Captain hates me and is trying to discredit me. He's trying to frame me.”
 
“But they are yours, Mayuri,” a faint voice came from behind Retsu. She moved aside and Nemu was revealed, bandaged, obviously still badly injured, but she stood there bravely, looking at her father. Isane and Iemura were standing on either side, supporting her in her obviously weakened state. “I didn't know you had collected so many dolls, but you showed me the chair and the coat and then made me kneel at your feet and call you Captain-General and Lord. Every day you tell me how much you hate Captain Zaraki and want him dead.”
 
“You're lying,” the man gasped. “You are speaking falsehoods.”
 
“I cannot lie in your presence, remember father? You made certain of that,” Nemu tried to stand straight, but wobbled slightly.
 
“Let the woman sit,” Yamamoto ordered, “or she will fall.”
 
Iemura and Isane assisted Nemu in kneeling on the floor, and remained close beside her.
 
While this was happening Kurotsuchi raved, “You'd betray me, Nemu? You'd betray your own father for an insane brute who has no thought in his head except killing? I should have disposed of you after the ryoka left,” Kurotsuchi made to rise to his feet and attack his daughter but he found Soi standing on one side, while Ayasegawa was on his other, holding him down by the shoulders. Both were flanked by other adjuncts and captains who gazed at the kneeling man, contempt clear in their faces. “Let me go,” he said struggling against the restraining hands.
 
“I think you've already punished her enough,” Retsu said quietly, but the steel in her voice made the man recoil.
 
“You're talking rubbish,” he mumbled. “It's a father's duty to teach his daughter decorum and correct behaviour.”
 
“Ken-chan never beats me, or hurts me,” Yachiru said glaring at the man. “He tells me when I'm wrong and stops me eating sweets but he doesn't punch me or cut me.”
 
The 12th Division Captain giggled. The sound disgusted Zaraki who found his lip was curling involuntarily.
 
“You expect the people here to believe that?” Kurotsuchi continued to giggle as he spoke. “The vicious Captain doesn't hurt you? How foolish do you think we are?”
 
“I have never seen any mark on the assistant captain that was caused by Captain Zaraki,” Ayasegawa protested. “I've seen many bruises and cuts on Nemu that you caused.”
 
“Assistant Captain Kusajiki has never shown any sign of damage when she had visited me, and she visits me often,” Retsu said her voice frigid. “The only times I've managed to examine your daughter has revealed many wounds and bruises and she has always refused to tell me who caused them. It's not possible they were all caused by training.”
 
“So, you have been fraternising with the enemy have you daughter? I knew you were a useless piece of flesh, just like all women. I tried to create you lacking emotion but then I made you a female. That was my mistake. How can you create a logical female, a female who thinks before she feels? Pah. I should have known better. How long have you been planning to turn her against me, Zaraki?” Kurotsuchi tried to get to his feet again, struggling against the restraining hands. “How dare you lay hands on a superior officer? Get off me, vermin,” he screamed at Ayasegawa, a trace of hysteria in his voice.
 
“Worried about his touch are you. It's okay, I'll take over from you,” Captain Kyoraku told the 11th Division 5th seat who happily moved back to his Captain. The Captain smiled at the accused man, but this time the smile contained no mirth, only an unpleasant promise. “You know, I don't like your attitude to women,” the 8th Division Captain said conversationally to Kurotsuchi and he placed his hand heavily on his shoulder. “I think you've hurt Nanao's feelings and I can't allow that. Captain Fon seems unhappy at your comments too. Maybe you should just shut up. Getting the women of the Seireitei annoyed with you isn't wise.”
 
Captain Yamamoto cleared his throat and all attention became focused on him. “You have made some serious allegations, Captain. Unfortunately for you, there is no supporting evidence,” he said only to be interrupted.
 
“There is supporting evidence, against him,” Captain Kuchiki said smoothly.
 
“I was drugged. That's it! I was drugged by Zaraki,” Kurotsuchi exclaimed. “That's why I was still asleep in the chair.” He looked triumphantly at the Captain-General.
 
“How did the Captain drug you?” said a voice that until now had been silent. Captain Komamura seemed confused. “Did he give you something? Force some liquid down your throat? Inject a potion into your veins?”
 
“It must have been in the rum I took from his third seat,” Kurotsuchi explained and then realising what he said his face went ashen. He gulped nervously and shot a guilty look at the Captain-General.
 
“You just lost me,” Soi said. She applied more pressure to the Captain's shoulder. “Make sense or you will annoy me. People who irritate me often end up dead.”
 
“I can't say your explanation makes much sense to me either,” a frowning Captain Ukitake followed. He rubbed his forehead gently as he gazed curiously at the kneeling captain. “Ikkaku Madarame had a bottle of rum?”
 
“It was a present from Ken-chan because he felt bad,” Yachiru chirruped brightly and smiled at her Captain. “He doesn't like rum and thought that Baldy might like it after he got hurt.” She patted Zaraki and then removed a small bag of Konpeito from her pocket. She opened it, offered it to Zaraki and Ayasegawa who both declined, and selected one of the sweets which she began to suck. Her smile reassured the 11th Division Captain as it often did. It was partially true; he did feel bad about injuring Madarame.
 
“The Captain may have many faults but I don't think he's in the habit of drugging his subordinates,” Captain Kuchiki said thoughtfully. “Unless it was to ensure that he had a sound sleep so he could begin to recover from the wounds. And you took this rum from the man? Your story grows more incriminating every time you open your mouth, Mayuri.” He tapped his fingers thoughtfully on his chin as he looked from Zaraki to Kurotsuchi, observing them both closely.
 
Until now Zaraki had felt a coldness creep through him. The rum had been drugged, it was true and any tests would show it, but the reason presented as to why it might be drugged seemed credible. If he kept his mouth shut, the Clown Captain might expand the hole he had already dug.
 
“He's digging a nice deep grave for himself, isn't he Kenny? The more he protests, the more it sounds like he's guilty. The less you deny the accusations, makes it appear you're innocent. I never thought I'd say this, but that's clever Kenny,” Atonomatsuri seemed cheered by the way things were going. “When we get home, will you finally polish me? This should be over soon.”
 
“Don't know about that,” Zaraki said to the bird. “He hasn't finished yet. I'm sure he's got something else he wants to say.”
 
“Can we get on with this?” Captain Hitsugaya said, his face twisted into a heavy frown. “Matsumoto, stop leaning on me. I know you don't like standing for long periods of time, but you could lean on a wall,” he hissed loudly at his subordinate. She pouted prettily and stood up straight, but not before all eyes were drawn toward her. She waved her fingers at her friends airily but after another scathing glance and hissed comment from her captain she dropped her hand and lowered her eyes.
 
His eyes fixed on the 10th Division assistant captain and obviously distracted Kurotsuchi made his most damning admission, “But the recordings, the pictures I've got on record of that man talking in his office to his subor…...” Kurotsuchi faltered as he heard what he'd said.
 
“Despite your earlier denial, that is an admission that the bugs are yours. You have been observing private conversations and encounters, without permission. I question your ethics,” Soi's cheekbones were flushed and her eyes glittered dangerously as her hands tightened on the man's shoulders, her nails pressing deeply into the material. “How long have they been in place? How many private moments have you monitored? What sort of sick individual are you? Is that the method in which you find pleasure?”
 
The 10th Division assistant captain was looking at the 12th Division Captain with loathing as were all the other females in the room, except for Nemu who was looking more unwell by the moment.
 
“You've done it now. I warned you not to upset the women of the Seireitei and you have. I don't envy you if they get their hands on you,” Captain Kyoraku said leaning heavily on Kurotsuchi who was beginning to bend under the weight being pressed onto him.
 
Nemu's collapse distracted attention for the moment. Blood from the reopened wound in her chest stained the floor on which she knelt and Iemura and Isane were trying to hold the drooping form upright. Her eyes were closed and her fast breathing and milk white complexion made Retsu exclaim as she quickly went to her patient, endeavouring the close the cut, assisted by Isane and Iemura. A few minutes work and the wound was again closed.
 
“I knew she was too weak to attend this meeting, but she insisted. If you had not commanded her to be here this would not have happened, Sir. I need to take her back to 4th Division, now. She needs rest and I'm sure the turmoil of this meeting has contributed to re-opening her injury,” Retsu said, her face showing evidence of her distress.
 
“You may escort the assistant captain there, if you must, but you and your adjuncts must return,” Captain Yamamoto informed her.
 
“I'm being found guilty without a fair hearing of the evidence in front of a group of questionable authority,” Captain Kurotsuchi said, obviously uninterested in the fate of his daughter. “I demand that I am given proper representation. You can't find me guilty of anything. The council of 46 no longer exists.”
 
“I am the Council!' Captain Yamamoto said forcefully as he turned on the man. “You forget yourself.” With an obvious effort he controlled his anger and addressed the people gathered there. “We will break now, for half an hour and after that we will convene a formal hearing. This hearing will investigate whether the Captain did plant the bugs and if he is harbouring treasonous plans. As this will take some time you will be permitted to sit. I will take the role of judge and this hearing will be without a jury but in front of the people he has affronted. Captain Kuchiki, you will act for the defence.”
 
“I have had no time to prepare a case,” the captain protested with dignity. “I believe I would better serve in the role of prosecutor.”
 
“Do you, indeed? No, you will act as the defence. Captain Ukitake, you will act as prosecution,” decreed the Captain-General.
 
“I humbly request that role,” Captain Fon said compellingly.
 
“You may assist, if you wish,” the relief in Captain Ukitake's voice was clear and he smiled at the 2nd Division Commander who nodded in response.
 
This made Zaraki feel rather positive about the outcome. Soi was very protective of her privacy and she had already told him that she did not like Kurotsuchi. She would use anything she could discover to have a guilty verdict returned.
 
“Yes, you will assist,” the Old Man agreed. “Captain Hitsugaya you will support Captain Kuchiki.”
 
“Who? Me?” the boy's face showed evidence of his disbelief.
 
“You seem the least affected and involved of all here,” was the explanation given.
 
“I will not permit either Ikkaku Madarame or Nemu Kurotsuchi to participate today and you will need their testimony. It would be better to reconvene tomorrow when they will be able to attend. If you insist I will administer a restorative that will unfortunately make then sleep,” Retsu said, her eyes fierce as she ignored Nemu's blood that now discoloured the fabric of her coat.
 
All through this Zaraki began to wonder. Would his involvement be uncovered through this process? What would happen if it did? What had he really done?
 
Captain Yamamoto nodded slowly at Retsu and then spoke again. “Captain Zaraki, you will be called as a witness. We will need Assistant Captain Kurotsuchi and 3rd seat Ikkaku Madarame to provide evidence. In view of their injuries, we will delay the proceedings until tomorrow. That should give you some time to prepare your cases. Captains Kuchiki and Hitsugaya, you and your adjuncts will escort the accused to the 1st Division cells where you can commence working with him on his defence.”
 
Retsu and the 4th Division adjuncts left quickly, carrying their patient to her bed. Loud discussion broke out.
 
“Do I have to spend time in the company of that creep?” the 10th Division Assistant Captain asked her Captain, in a sudden lull and her voice was obviously louder than she intended.
 
“Don't worry, Ran. I'll protect you,” Renji told her as a small smile crossed his face.
 
“How do you know you're not the creep?” she replied, her expression indicating she was not happy about the situation.
 
“Matsumoto, remember where you are. You have to spend time assisting the Captain in preparing his defence,” Captain Hitsugaya said sternly. “Come, we must remove the accused so we may commence work as soon as possible.”
 
The two captains assisted Kurotsuchi to his feet. Before he could be removed he turned and cast a look of loathing at Zaraki. “The truth will come out. You will be discredited and executed, cur.”
 
“Don't speak to the witness,” Captain Kuchiki ordered him. Holding him firmly by the arm he removed the man with the assistance of Captain Hitsugaya who seemed unwilling to touch him. Their subordinates trailed after them, none of them looking very happy.
 
Zaraki, Yachiru and Ayasegawa left the room shortly after.
 
“I have a bad feeling about this,” Atonomatsuri told him as they walked. She had been muttering at the back of his mind but he had blocked out her comments. “The two cold captains are clever and will give a good defence. Your friend, the fiery woman really hates the Clown Captain, doesn't she? I think she hates him even more than you do, hard though that is to believe. Robert Louis Stevenson was right. Since hate poisons the soul, do not cherish enmities or grudges. Avoid people who make you unhappy.”
 
“Why don't you follow the advice about bearing grudges? Or even better, we could avoid each other. How do I avoid you?” Zaraki said quickly, “Yeah, of course Soi hates the guy, she has good taste. If there's any way to get that guy into more trouble, she'll find it.”
 
“But the man is slippery. Look how he managed to get released from that prison because of Urahara. Every time, in the past, when he has almost come to grief, he manages to find a loophole. It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry,” the vulture said reflectively.
 
“What the hell does that adage mean? Loophole? With those four they'll make certain there is no loophole. Kuchiki is meticulous and Ukitake will not allow any thing to pass his notice,” the more he thought about it, the better pleased he was at the choices made by the Old Man.
 
“What are we going to do now, Ken-chan? Do you think we should visit Baldy and let him know what's going on? Pretty Boy, will Ken-chan's office be ready today? I want to see the screen and have you got me a new chair? I hope it's comfortable,” Yachiru interrupted the unheard conversation.
 
“Yeah, maybe we should visit Madarame and you could have a chat with Nemu, see if she's feeling better,” he replied.
 
“I talked to her last time. I told her she was old enough to make her own decisions. Can we buy her some flowers? And maybe some for Baldy. I'd like to give him some flowers, pink ones, because it would make him swear. He's funny when he swears in hospital,” Yachiru smiled as she thought of the third seat. “I hope he gets better soon.”
 
“So do I, Assistant Captain,” Ayasegawa agreed as they walked toward their destination. “He'll want to know the news, but I don't think we should buy him flowers. They make him look less beautiful than normal.”
 
Author's Note:
 
Things are getting serious, and intricate. I can hardly wait to start on the next chapter, but it has to wait.
 
Can Kurotsuchi get out of this, I wonder? Okay, I know, but you'll have to wait to find out what happens next.
 
Thank you for the reviews.
 
Please review.
 
MS