Bleach Fan Fiction ❯ Zanpaku-to? ❯ Promise Honoured ( Chapter 32 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Tite Kubo owns Bleach. I just borrowed the characters. I do own Atonomatsuri (the bird) and Piecrust (the jerk).
 
Slight spoiler alert.
 
Promise Honoured
 
After all the activity of the last few days and the events of the morning, Zaraki wanted to be away from people, even people he liked. 4th Division was noisy and the many voices began to grate on his nerves. A few times he had to stop his instinctive need to throttle the next person whose voice pierced his skull, or swept past him too closely. If he was honest, throttling an annoyance was too tame; he wanted to slice them, slash them till their flesh hung off in strips. Jerks should keep their distance. Thinking about jerks, he wondered if Piecrust had managed to find more trouble. He'd find out soon enough.
 
Madarame was sleeping and in good hands; there was no reason for him to hang around watching the guy. That would be as much fun as cleaning out his ears or watching someone try cut off their hand with a plastic ruler.
 
“I'll see you later,” he told Ayasegawa and Yachiru. “Go visit Nemu, see if she's okay and, Yachiru, you eat Retsu's supply of sweets.”
 
“Where are you going Ken-chan? I wanted you to train me today,” Yachiru's mouth turned downward as she looked at him.
 
“Not today,” he said more gruffly than he intended. “I'm tired. I want to get ready for whatever happens tomorrow,” he explained, providing the first explanation his brain provided. It was true but there was something else he needed to do.
 
Getting away from everyone was paramount. His instinctive need for violence was stronger than ever, probably due to the things that had been happening, but now he had to remain inconspicuous. If he erupted and gave into his need for carnage, it might appear that he was nervous. After arriving back in his quarters he picked up the sword polish and cloth and then went and sat in the shade of a tree in a place he knew was rarely visited. Most Shinigami had a strange superstition about the place and avoided it. There were mutterings of strange sights and talk of the Captain's who had perished there over 100 years ago. Whether they had really perished or turned part Hollow had been hotly disputed, but most judged it to be an unlucky place, acting like the ground had been contaminated by the events. That was Ancient History and had no relevance to anyone today. He didn't give a damn about anything that happened long ago and no one was stupid enough to disturb him there. In his current frame of mind, any person brainless enough to try would be reduced to a headless torso in quick order.
 
He had not thought of using the place when he first wished to speak to Atonomatsuri because it was in the open and he hadn't wished anyone to see what he was doing, but now he wanted to be outside. “I'm only doing this because you'll snipe at me if I don't,” he told Atonomatsuri as he began to polish his zanpaku-to. “If you make any noise at all, I'll stop,” he said quickly. He could imagine the sorts of embarrassing sounds the pesky bird might make if she thought it would irritate him. Even though he would be the only person to hear the sounds, his lip curled and a look of distaste crossed his face. The bird was liable to do anything to annoy him, given the chance.
 
“Thank you,” she said in a tone of relief and after a long pause, “Thank you, Zaraki.” The response pleased him as he cleaned the blade. He took some time over the task, removing the older stains, smoothing some of the rough edges and eventually, cleaning the pommel. He then placed the blade across his knees and looked at it. The cutting edge was still jagged, but why change it? It looked a little different, better in some ways and unfamiliar in others and that made him keep looking at it in an effort to make it familiar once more. Of course he'd always wiped the blood and other ichor off the thing each time he'd stopped fighting, but it was usually only a cursory wipe on whatever was handy. Now all the reminders of the old victories and one defeat were removed and the zanpaku-to was no longer weighed down by the past and correspondingly he felt a little lighter. The past was there, but the present and future were important as well.
 
While he sat there he realised that some of the tension that had been building within him was ebbing. The overwhelming urge to slice into someone, anyone, was fading. Atonomatsuri had not spoken and made this respite into yet another Zaraki baiting session. Remembering their last conversation he recalled that she had almost seemed keen to foster his friendship. Why now, after the time she had spent sniping and insulting him? Was it because the matters with Kurotsuchi would be resolved, or was there something deeper? It was hard to tell with the feathered firebrand because she could mean anything. For once he wasn't keen to find out as he was still trying to accept her more recent revelation.
 
“Talk to me Zaraki,” was the quiet request from the vulture. Her tone was more appealing than normal, nearly sweet and restful. Was this even the same spirit? Or was she trying to fool him?
 
“What do you want to talk about?” he asked laconically. It didn't seem to matter that she was talking. At least she was calling him Zaraki and not adding any insulting terms. This time her voice did not make him feel like stabbing himself in the eyes or eviscerating the next person who walked past.
 
“I think we need to talk about what might happen. The Clown Captain will fight back, at least in words. He will blame you and some of the accusations will be true,” Atonomatsuri was speaking slowly and quietly.
 
Propping his back against the tree, he nodded. He knew; it was obvious that tomorrow would not be easy. Resting in a place that few people knew he frequented was one method to prevent any of those difficult questions from those who were defending or prosecuting the man. Even so, it would not prevent the questions from being asked during the hearing and he didn't know how he could answer without incriminating himself.
 
“The man is guilty, but you are not innocent. No one would suspect you of being devious, but you did ask Soi Fon for help. Retsu supplied the drug. Your subordinates helped you. There are too many witnesses to the events. If any of them are called and asked to answer questions, your part in this will be revealed,” Atonomatsuri continued, weight bearing on her words. She sighed in his mind and he found he was sighing with her.
 
Inevitably his mind indicated that he would not be in this predicament if he hadn't tried to talk to his zanpaku-to in the first place, but thinking like that was futile. It solved no problems, only increased his bitterness and urge to rail against fate. “Okay, Atonomatsuri. What should I do?”
 
As soon as he uttered her name the scene shifted. This time he was paying attention as the landscape in front of him blurred and the vista of his mind lay before him. In the days that had passed since he had been drawn into his mind, much had changed. Disgusted, he gagged at the sight of a meadow of brightly coloured flowers that appeared around him, complete with butterflies and buzzing insects. That had no place in his mind! Greenery and pretty things were wrong. He'd prefer Hollows, or the blasted landscape that had previously been his mind.
 
Getting to his feet, to get out of the unwelcome garden, he batted at a bee that seemed to wish to rest on his hair. “Great; insects in my mind. What's with the scenery,” he asked the bird that appeared before him and then he stopped, stunned. The vulture had grown in size by at least a third. She continued to phase but now the she was fully healthy in one phase and a fleshless skeleton in the other, her skull clearly defined, looked more human than avian. For some reason this change made him stop for a moment. This was more like a zanpaku-to spirit! The skeletal form promised to embody the fear that he wished to engender. The loss of the maggots definitely met with his approval as he preferred the clean red of flowing blood from a foe, rather than the wriggling appearance of the harbingers of plague and disease. The colour and flow of blood was pure, marking the creation of life, or the departure. Being reminded of what occurred to the body after death didn't interest him. It recalled too much of his slowly recovering memories. “You're different,” he said, finally noticing that the vulture seemed to require some comment.
 
“So are you, Zaraki. Anything that remains static long enough will decay. Once motion is restored new life can flourish. When we show our respect for other living things, they respond with respect for us,” Atonomatsuri said as she tilted her head to look Zaraki full in the face. Her eyes while still disconcertingly as clock faces, now glowed with renewed vigour. The one which had been broken now moved slowly.”
 
“And you still can't talk without the bloody adages,” Zaraki said, his original peace shattered by the borrowed words.
 
“I was merely trying to explain everything simply to match your low intelligence, Kenny,” Atonomatsuri sniped back.
 
“It explained nothing, freak. What's with the flora?”
 
“Your mind awakens and blossoms. I thought the addition of some plants might allow more creativity, but I can sense you do not appreciate my motives,” was the measured response.
 
“I thought it was my mind! Why the hell are you doing anything to it?” Yet again something she had told him seemed to be proven false and it irked him that she obviously felt that she could take any action she wished.
 
“As your partner, I do have some input and remember: your mind trusts me more than you. I had to do something to heal the damage done by your inability to deal with the fact that you are a former Hollow. The flowers calmed the ructions and allowed you to survive the revelation,” was the smug reply.
 
Rage boiled within him and he shut his mouth with a snap as his hands instinctively reached out to rend the aggravating spirit in twain. Noticing the danger, the bird backed away quickly, watching him cautiously as he stumbled forward, almost tripping on the large teddy bear that lay in his path. The sight of the bear only enraged him further and he moved past it, preparing to end the whole stupid charade.
 
“You're reacting, not thinking, Zaraki. You're acting more like a Hollow than a Shinigami,” quavered the bird, not sounding too frightened.
 
“So?”
 
“Don't you want to know the reason I brought you here?”
 
“No.”
 
“It's important. You might like it,” the bird was still backing away, much faster. “It will increase your strength.”
 
The implied promise made Zaraki stop. That was how this whole bloody mess had started, because he wanted to become stronger, and now, finally there might be a point to all the things he had been forced to undergo.
 
“Talk,” he ordered the bird. He didn't really expect that she would help, but he wasn't going to let any opportunity pass. Even though everyone told him he was stupid, he wasn't that dumb. Ceaseless prattle about unimportant things didn't interest him. He only wanted to talk about important matters, but had been forced to concentrate on minor matters since Atonomatsuri had interrupted his life.
 
“The pine stays green in winter...Wisdom in hardship. So you're learning a little wisdom, Kenny. Good,” she stopped backing away as he had ceased to move forward and her gaze was stern and excited.
 
“I said talk and I meant about increasing my strength, not your stupid adages,” he growled knowing that she would eventually tell him something. It was the `eventually' that irked each time and that too often the information was either useless or irrelevant.
Silence lengthened between them. Zaraki didn't say anything because whatever he said to her might only provoke another verbal attack. They stared at each other, each unwilling to look away as if they were participating in some absurd form of competition. After some time, Atonomatsuri blinked. Even though he had technically won he didn't feel any sense of victory. No matter how small the advantage she would not let it remain for long.
 
“I'm going to train you to use me in my other form,” was the sop finally offered and it startled Zaraki.
 
“What? What the hell? Why now?” he demanded his mind trying to work out any possible motive for the unusual offer. Was she really trying to become friends with him as she had stated earlier?
 
“You will need to be at your best tomorrow. I fear that there may be a decision made that could make you vulnerable.”
 
The reluctance with which she offered the information made him wonder further. Sometimes she seemed to know what might happen, but would never tell him anything useful until it was too late. How could he be vulnerable? He'd only been defeated once and his only real area of weakness was his sentimentality. “What do you mean?”
 
Ignoring his question, she continued to speak, and he wondered if she was talking to him, or not. “I had hoped that your shiny headed underling could help, but you and the slimy creep put an end to that hope. Your friend helped but you need so much more aid. Even training from me might not be enough. It might be too little and without more time it could fail. What should I do?”
 
Impatient at her blathering, he demanded, “Let's get to it, then. Talking won't make it any easier.”
 
Shaking herself at the sound of his voice she glared at him. “Give me a moment. I'm trying to work out the best way.”
 
Drawing his zanpaku-to he growled, “I'll make this easier. Yawn, Atonomatsuri.” As he spoke he focused his reiatsu and the blade changed into the other form, but the more manageable size.
 
The vulture stared at him, seemingly impressed. “You have learnt some control,” she said.
 
“Yeah. Now, what next?”
 
“I suppose you have to fight me,” was the very unwilling response. Atonomatsuri shifted from foot to foot as she made the suggestion.
 
It was a day for surprises. The bird had never offered to fight him willingly. The few times he'd fought her she'd mainly tried to escape, fought back unwillingly or given up and allowed him to stab her. Her habit of disappearing and trying to stab him from behind was irritating too, plus when she grabbed the blade of his zanpaku-to it made it nearly impossible to attack her.
 
“Fight you? I want a challenge, not a paltry scuffle with a scared little tweety bird that cheats,” was how he finally answered her offer.
 
“I don't cheat,” the outrage at the accusation was clear and Atonomatsuri puffed up her feathers. As she phased into the skeletal form, the bones glistened and pulsated in a display of rage. It was a strange effect and Zaraki wondered about the method be which she achieved the images, but decided that the argument was more important that any other matter.
 
“Disappearing and trying to stab me in the back is cheating,” the edge of anger roused by her response made his voice harsher.
 
“You weren't fighting fair. You tried to step on my head,” she countered.
 
“Because you had my blade in your beak,” the conversation became more absurd the longer they were talking.
 
“I think I actually had me in my beak,” Atonomatsuri squawked.
 
Stopping to think about what she said, Zaraki laughed, a short, hard bark of amusement. “You had you in your beak,” saying it aloud made him laugh a little more and the expression on the vulture's face added to his amusement. Laughter overcame him and the angrier she became the harder he laughed.
 
“I was holding myself in my beak,” was the next attempt at explanation. The words emerged from her tightly clenched bill which made it difficult to understand, but the sentence still sounded wrong.
 
Zaraki leant on his zanpaku-to as he laughed even harder. For a bird who prided herself on her intelligence the sentences sounded wrong, and because of that they sounded funny.
 
“Have you got a degree in semantics, Kenny? I'm trying to explain.
 
No and neither do you. Damn, you really mangled that statement. I wish Yachiru could have heard it,” he stopped laughing and straightened up.
 
“But it's true,” Atonomatsuri began to sound plaintive.
 
“It's not important. You want me to fight you. Are there any ground rules, or can I just kill you?”
 
“I've told you before… Oh what's the use? Attack me; you're going to anyway.”
 
Zaraki ignored her disgruntled tone and lunged at her putting a great amount of force behind his thrust, but she dodged. He had expected that and recovered quickly, escaping the blow from her beak.
 
Each time he tried to use the new blade he had to compensate for the change in weight, balance and size and keep firm control on his reiatsu. To start with his control slipped regularly and the zanpaku-to began to revert to its original size. Each time he had to strengthen his resolve and make it revert back to the manageable form. Once or twice it took him a little time to remember the way he could focus and the large blade slammed into the ground, once almost through Atonomatsuri's foot.
 
“Do you really want to hurt me?” the bird whined. “Do you really have to treat me so bad?”
 
“We're fighting! What do you expect? I polished you didn't I? So stop complaining,” Zaraki said. “Was that an adage?
 
“What does it matter? You don't appreciate my subtlety, or intelligence. Why I'm even trying I don't know,” she sniped at him as she tried to gouge her beak into his thigh.
 
“Neither do I. I always tell you to shut up,” Zaraki said as he pushed the blade in front of her face, hearing the grinding crunch as her hard bill met the metal of his zanpaku-to.
 
The fought on for a few minutes, the silence only punctured by the sound of their movements and breathing. As the time passed, Zaraki noticed that he was better able to remember how to focus his reiatsu while fighting. His control still wavered, but not as much or as often.
 
“I would advise that you don't try this with your eye patch off for some time,” Atonomatsuri panted as she dodged another attack.
 
“I won't. What opponent would make me want to?” None of the captains would fight him and there were no real challenges. He'd been warned about fighting any of the other Shinigami to the death. The Old Man didn't like casualties or deaths, stating that the toll from Hollow attacks was bad enough. The new threat that would result from the traitor's actions would only make him unhappy. With Madarame and Nemu already in 4th Division, any further injuries might mean he'd end up having to explain, or even worse he might be forced to write a report to explain why. That had to be avoided.
 
After fighting for some time Atonomatsuri stopped and nodded. “You're not quite where I wish you were, but it will have to do. We will train again today after I have a rest,” the vulture yawned, showing its tongue and Zaraki backed away instinctively. “Later, I will start explaining some of my powers. You've already tapped into some of them, but you need to know how to trigger them and the best time to use them. Two more training sessions, Kenny. You'll need them. Now, go home and sleep.”
 
The scenery faded and he found that he was once more in the meadow, sweating and more exhausted than he expected. He stretched, feeling his muscles complain. “Damn, the bird actually gave me a decent workout. She's better than I thought,” he mused. “I'll have a bath, soak the muscles then I can sleep.”
 
Wandering in the direction of the bathhouse he noticed the streets were busy. Shinigami looked at him as he walked past, few calling greeting, some nodding, but he noticed that a buzz of conversation followed him. It didn't matter what their problem was. If he could guess, it was probably all related to the meeting this morning and the accusations made against him by the Clown Captain. Whatever, he didn't care. Entering the bathhouse he noticed it was empty which was unusual for this time of day, but he smiled. He wanted to be away from people, not listen to the idle gossip or stupid rumours spread so easily through bathhouse conversations.
 
As he sat in the hot water he had the chance to think about the birds words. The offer to train him was unexpected; the method of training was different, but effective. Suddenly he sat bolt upright as the import of her words, her plans became clearer. Three training sessions in two days? Before this Atonomatsuri had been reluctant to fight him. Why the urgency?
 
“Hey, Beak Face,” he called in his mind, but there was no answer.
 
“Even though he was tense the hot water was working on him, relaxing him. Dismissing the disturbing thoughts he leant back and closed his eyes. The steam rising from the water bathed his face, making him sweat, and the heat made his limbs relax.
 
“Captain. Captain. Quick, we need you,” said a familiar voice.
 
Opening his eyes he saw the worried face of Ayasegawa hovering over the other side of the bath.
 
“I couldn't find you and someone told me they saw you come in here. We've got a problem, a big one.” The 5th seat continued, a frown marring his brow. He offered a cup of water to his captain. “I should have guessed you were here from the snoring I heard.”
 
“Is Madarame okay? Yachiru?” he said, his voice croaking. He coughed and gratefully took the water offered. The angle he'd been sleeping was to blame. He didn't normally snore, or at least not that he knew.
 
“Yeah, they're fine. It's Piecrust,” Ayasegawa said and bit his lip. “I know you don't care about him, but he did something really dumb and the Captain-General wants to see you.”
 
“Blast. What did the twerp do this time? Kissed a nurse? Impaled himself on his zanpaku-to? No, that would be good news.”
 
“He went into the bathhouse.”
 
“I didn't see him here,” Zaraki said looking around.
 
“I don't think he can read Japanese very well. He went into the women's bathhouse.” Ayasegawa looked visibly uncomfortable at the admission.
 
Closing his eyes, Zaraki wondered how much this would cost, not in money but in good will. “Hold on. It's basic. We're all told the locations of the bathhouses and which are for men and women. Everyone can read the basic symbols for men and women!
 
Nodding, Ayasegawa said, “I've been trying to think of another reason he did it, but I can't. But that's not the worst.”
 
Sighing as he got out of the bath and began drying himself, Zaraki nodded impatiently at his 5th seat to continue.
 
“There were some women in the bathhouse, some officers,” the 5th seat said very quietly.
 
“Ah, hell. Tell me the worst,” Zaraki said rapidly dressing. He would be held responsible for the actions of the man and this was rapidly getting worse.
 
“Captain Soi Fon, Assistant Captain Rangiku Matsumoto, and ….” Ayasegawa stopped and gulped hard. “Assistant Captain Yachiru Kusajiki and Captain Retsu Unohana.”
 
“All at the same time?” Zaraki asked and then the last two names registered. “I'll kill the bloody fool,” he growled as his hand reached for his zanpaku-to. The rage flooding his body demanded blood, lots of it and all from one idiot who couldn't keep a few rules.
 
“He's lucky he isn't already dead,” Ayasegawa said. “He was taken to 1st Division and is being cared for there.”
 
“And now I've got to report to the Old Man? Why were they all there anyway?”
 
“Captain Fon and Ran were having a break from preparing for the hearing and Yachiru and Retsu were there because Yachiru wanted someone to wash her hair,” Ayasegawa explained.
 
“How angry is Soi, Captain Fon?” Zaraki asked.
 
“She was nearly dressed as she had only removed her Captain's coat, but she's furious. From now on the women's bathhouse door will be guarded at all times to make sure this doesn't happen again.
 
Nodding at the sense in that decision, a small smile quirked Zaraki's lips. “So, do we want a guard on our bathhouse?”
 
“Hey, Captain, some of us might fantasise about a woman entering the bathhouse, but what's the likelihood? I wouldn't mind if any of the female Captains or Assistant Captains walked in while I was bathing,” Ayasegawa said reflectively.
 
“But what made the jerk do it? Why would he do something that could so easily result in his death and dismemberment?” There could be no rational explanation of the action the man took.
 
Looking at his 5th seat, he noticed that he was blushing slightly. “I think I know where he got the idea,” he admitted reluctantly.
 
Now fully dressed, Zaraki adjusted his eye patch and checked that all the bells were in place. This might turn out more serious than it sounded. Speaking harshly he ordered, “Then tell me, blast you. Stop hinting and drooping like a lovesick girl,”
 
The man shook his head.
 
“Tell me now, or I'll gut you. This is no time to keep secrets,” Zaraki was beginning to lose his temper, something he rarely did with his friends.
 
Swallowing hard, the man opened his mouth, then paused and bit his lip hard, “It happened before you became friends with Captain Fon.”
 
“How do you know we're friends? I hardly know the woman!”
 
“You were seen having tea with her and you went to her office carrying something. You know that no action goes unnoticed in this place, well most actions, well maybe yours. I hope they don't find out about…”
 
“Keep to the subject. What happened?” The man was hedging, almost like he really didn't want to tell Zaraki anything, but it was essential he knew.
 
“I didn't know he was there! I was just kidding around with Ikkaku before training; you know how it is when we're joking around. We weren't serious.”
 
“Hmmmm? Get on with it,” if he didn't get to the point, he'd get the point, of his zanpaku-to, lodged somewhere painful.
 
“Ikkaku said that anyone who saw Captain Fon in the nude would be a hero; anyone who saw Ran naked would be living the male Shinigami dream and any one brave enough to go into the female bathhouse would be a legend. Everyone would admire him.” The words were spoken very fast and Zaraki had to listen attentively to make certain he didn't miss any of them.
 
“Why were you talking about it?”
 
“Ikkaku was being a sadistic creep, going on about how pretty I was, prettier than some of the female Shinigami, so I changed the subject, and talked about women generally. It was a dumb conversation. It didn't mean anything.” The words rang true, but why would they talk about the females of the Seireitei so casually? If the Shinigami Women's Association heard about it, he didn't even want to think about the consequences. Finding people to replace Madarame and Ayasegawa would be hard, but he'd make certain that their remains would be given a decent burial. If he worked fast it may not have to come to that.
 
“Did only Piecrust hear the conversation?”
 
No, but the others wouldn't act on a stupid idea. Piecrust arrived as Ikkaku was making the case and I was laughing. You came in soon afterward and we trained. He left it a while before he did anything.”
 
“That could be because he kept ending up in 4th Division. Okay, let's go and talk to Yamamoto. Maybe he'll explain why I have to keep the jerk.” They walked out the door and made their way to 1st Division.
 
------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------------------
 
Author's Note:
 
Thanks to Cartoon-pen for the weird suggestion about the plastic ruler. Now, could you leave me alone? Honestly, some people have to have input into everything!
 
I know you probably expected this chapter to feature the hearing, but there are a few things planned that need to happen. Can I help it if Piecrust wants more attention?
 
MS