Boys Over Flowers Fan Fiction ❯ You Want Me To Be What?? ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Title: You Want Me to Be What??? (1/??)
Author: Makoto Sagara
Series: Hana Yori Dango (Boys over Flowers)
Archive: afallenangel-dot-net-slash-makotosagara, fanfiction-dot-net, Foreverfandom-dot-net; anywhere else, please ask first.
Pairings: Tsukasa/Tsukushi, Rui +Tsukushi, Akira + Shigeru, Kazuya/Sakurako, others will pop up
Warnings: Heterosexual pairings, language, violence, angst, sap, based off the manga
Rating: 15 and up (T+)
 
Disclaimers: Hana Yori Dango is the property of Yoko Kamio, the publishing company of the manga, and all the television companies that produced the anime. I make no money from this. In fact, I have no money. I just can't get my stupid muses to leave me alone after a month and I'm caving into their insanity…
 
Summary: Tsukushi's four years without Domyoji are up. After all of the good things that happened to her since her senior year at Eitoku Gakuen, will his reappearance change things? And why is his whole family in tow? What does his mother have in plan for Tsukushi that could change her life for good? (This is based off the manga ending, not the anime ending.)
 
 
Who in their right mind would imagine that a poor girl like me, Makino Tsukushi, would graduate from a prestigious school like Eitoku Gakuen? It certainly wasn't me. After all of the things that happened my junior year, making it to my senior year and still being able to attend was a miracle. However, I knew that things were going to be very quiet the first day of the April commencement ceremony, at least at school. The F4 had all graduated to the college section of our school, and Kazuya, Sakurako, Junpei, and I were all still in the high school section.
 
A few amazing things happened that beautiful April morning, even before school, that I will never forget. An hour before I was going to wake up to go to school, my cell phone rang. Groggily, I got up, looked at the display to see Nishikado Soujirou's number, and answered with a gruff, “You do know that it's 6am, Nishikado-san, don't you?”
 
“Makino, I have good news for you,” he said, and he did sound very excited, but there was more noise behind him, and I knew that he was with Hanazawa Rui and Mimasaka Akira-san, the other members of the F3, as they are called now.
 
“Hurry up, Soujirou! Tell her!” I could tell that this wasn't ordinary news because Mimasaka-san sounded as if I'd won the lottery.
 
“What would you say if I told you that we managed to get your father a job in Akira's father's company?”
 
“I'd say you're insane, and that calling at 6am on a school day is really inappropriate and I'm going to kick your ass when I reach Eitoku's grounds,” I snarled, sitting up and leaving the small room that my family slept in, so as not to wake them.
 
“You're so violent, Makino,” he snorted into the phone, “but it's true. He should get a call in a few hours asking him to accept the position. It comes with company housing and a large salary.”
 
“Let me speak to Hanazawa Rui.”
 
“Hm?” He sounded like they'd just woken him up too, which they probably had knowing him.
 
“You're up early.”
 
“Not by choice. Makino, I didn't have anything to do with this.”
 
“I know. Tell them thank you. I'll see you later, R-rui.” Strange how I still had problems saying his first name considering all that we'd been through the year before and how close we were. “Oh, but I might have to hurt Nishikado for waking me up this early. Bye.”
 
“Bye,” he said, and I hung up my phone. Looking at the time, I realized that there wasn't really a reason for me to go back to sleep. I would just have to get up in 30 minutes to make breakfast for everyone and then get ready for my last year at Eitoku. Of course, I wasn't really surprised when my phone rang again, but the name and number did surprise me. “Do… myoji?” I asked, my voice shaking a bit with anticipation to hear him again.
 
“Makino, you're awake?” No hello or how are you or I love you. But, then again, did I really expect that from him? Not really.
 
“Yes, and Nishikado isn't going to live through this day.” That earned me a laugh, one of his wonderful laughs that I can't help but smile as I heard it. “How's New York?”
 
“A headache. I have a special tutor to help me learn English, and they found a translator for me as well.”
 
“Hm…”
 
“Makino… They told me what they did. Are you okay with that?” He actually sounded worried that I would be upset. I smiled again.
 
“I'm not sure, but this certainly will help me concentrate on school more. I'll only have to have one job now.”
 
He laughed yet again, but it was shortly followed by a yawn. “Ah, it's 4pm here. I still have three more meetings to attend today, but I wanted to call you.”
 
“Did you call me just because you were worried? Or is there another reason?” I stifled a yawn as well, pawing through the contents of the refrigerator to get breakfast made.
 
“No particular reason. I just wanted to hear your voice.”
 
“You'd better watch yourself, Domyoji Tsukasa. You're starting to sound soft,” I teased.
 
“Whatever. I'll call you again later. I need to go.” He sounded cross, but there was a hint of amusement in his voice too.
 
“Domyoji…”
 
“Yeah?”
 
“I love you.”
 
“I-I love you too, Makino.”
 
“Talk to you later. Bye bye.”
 
“Nnn.”
 
The excitement of the morning seemed to calm down a bit as my family woke up to start its day. It was Sumusu's first day of high school and he was attending the same one that Yuuki went to. He was really excited about starting his high school career, and Mama was busy packing our bento and lecturing Papa on getting ready for his day at work. When there was a knock on the door, I answered it, only to find Oribe Junpei standing at my door.
 
“Junpei-kun…”
 
“Makino-san,” he said hesitantly, one hand raking through his messy brown hair. “I was wondering if I could perhaps bother you on the way to school this morning.”
 
“Tsukushi, who is it?” Mama called, leaning over to look at our guest. “Aren't you that boy, the model?”
 
“Yes, Makino-san.” Junpei's handsome face lit up into a smile, and the hard look that my mother was going to give him seemed to melt away in a heartbeat.
 
“Well, Tsukushi, Sumusu, you're going to be late if you don't hurry up and leave now. You can't be late on your first day. It looks bad.” I had my school bag and bento shoved in my face before I was shoved out of the door, much to Junpei-kun's amusement.
 
“Don't laugh,” I snapped at him, as he stood next to my door.
 
“But it -is- funny, Makino-san.”
 
“Why are you here, Junpei?”
 
“I came to make peace with you for what happened last year. I know that I can't make amends enough for you to forget about it, but I was hoping that you would forgive me for using you the way I did. It was fun having you as a friend, even if it was for a little while.” My response was cut off by the sudden appearance of Sakurako and Kazuya.
 
“TSUKUSHI-CHAN!” “MAKINO-SENPAI!” They got out of the car they were in and ran up to me. “What are you doing with him, Makino-senpai? After all he did to you and Domyoji-san, you'll still talk to him?” Sakurako asked, all the while staring at Junpei as if he was the last handsome guy on the face of the planet.
 
“She still talks to you, Sakurako. I think that if she can do that, she can talk to this guy too. That's just how Tsukushi-chan is,” Kazuya said, his face full of defiance.
 
I smiled awkwardly and ripped my arm from the blonde girl's grasp. “Thank you, Kazuya.” I then looked between the two of them and at the car that they'd just left. “What are you two doing together?”
 
Kazuya blushed and Sakurako looked extremely uncomfortable. “We are… That is… It's none of your business,” she yelled. “I'm going to school now. Come on, Kazuya.” Good to her word, she got back into the plain, undecorated, black Mercedes-Benz, and, like a pet, so did Kazuya. “See you at school, Makino-senpai!”
 
“They look like pet and master to me,” Junpei said a few minutes after they'd left as we were walking to the train station.
 
“You thought so too?” It was so strange to see them together, but that was the impression that they'd given me.
 
“Well, it sort of reminds me of how he used to chase after you last year, Makino-san. That is, until he realized that he couldn't beat Domyoji out of your heart.” His gentle words, even though they were laced by disdain at having to say his enemy's name, brought a faint blush to my cheeks and a smile to my lips.
 
“I suppose so. I really didn't notice how he felt about me. I must have been the most insensitive girl in Japan to him. I was so preoccupied with thoughts of Domyoji and Hanazawa Rui…” I stopped, realizing who I was talking to. “Ah, but you probably don't want to hear this.”
 
“Au contraire, Makino-san.”
 
“What?”
 
“It's French for “on the contrary”.” He smiled and pulled me up onto the train as the doors opened. I really hadn't noticed how fast we'd been walking as we talked or how my feet seemed to already know the way. And part of me longed for it to be Domyoji with me at that moment. I could see him yelling at me for not paying attention and then demanding that I stay with him or else I would get lost and telling me how stupid I was.
 
“Junpei-kun, you're right that I won't be able to forget how you used me and what you did to Domyoji and me, but… I forgave you that day in the hospital. I know it's been a while, but I think that the two of us can be friends.” I looked at him seriously at this point. “However, no more lies and no more photo sessions.”
 
He seemed to deflate a bit, but then he flashed a dazzling smile at me. “I can deal with that, Makino-san. But, we're gonna miss our stop if we don't get off now.”
 
“ACK!”
 
I remember just laughing and talking to Junpei as we walked to Eitoku from the train station, occasionally stopping our conversation to say hello to someone from school. It really was a shock for me to walk right into Nishikado's chest as we tried to enter the school grounds. “Already replacing Tsukasa, I see,” he drawled, crossing one long leg over the other as he leaned against the gate.
 
“As if she'd replace Tsukasa with this jerk,” Mimasaka said, walking up next to his friend with Hanazawa Rui in tow. “Besides, if she was stupid enough to try to replace Tsukasa, I don't think she'd do that with anyone but Rui.”
 
Neither of them saw my school bag as I lifted it and smacked them both with it. “That's for being idiots,” I shouted and raised my bag again. “This,” I hit them harder that time, “is for waking me up way too early, you jerks!” I then held my head up high and walked past them.
 
“Hey, Makino! Oi! Look, we're sorry,” Nishikado yelled, catching up to me in a matter of milliseconds. “We were just joking. You know, because we're all friends. But, we found out something interesting this morning as well.”
 
“What?” Anything that could surprise those three was definitely worth checking out. However, I didn't have to wait long at all before I figured out what it was.
 
“TSUKUSHI-CHAN!” I recognized the voice and the short brown hair, but that was all I was allowed to see before I was plowed down and knocked on my butt. “I'm so glad that I decided to come to Eitoku! Eirin would have been sooooooo boring this year now that I'm in college. Besides, now I can see you everyday for lunch and take you out after school.”
 
“Shi-shigeru-san??”
 
“Eeeeee! I can't wait for this afternoon! You'll come and have lunch with us, won't you?” I looked at my friend and then up at the F3 that surrounded us and I caved.
 
“Sure.” Life would have just been too boring without seeing these four nearly constantly. “Nishikado, did Domyoji put you up to the stunt you pulled this morning?”
 
“No. Tsukasa had nothing to do with it, and he even yelled as us when we told him about it.” That wasn't hard to imagine, and it brought a smile to my face.
 
“Then why are you doing it?”
 
“Because if you're going to date Tsukasa, we can't let our friend stay so pathetically poor,” Mimasaka said, brushing a few strands of his straight hair out of his eyes before being pushed out of the way by Hanazawa Rui. I was glad when he offered a hand to help me up and free of Shigeru.
 
“I'd say thank you, Makino, and then hurry up for the opening ceremony, if you care about that. If not, you can hang out with us for the time being and then go to class,” he said calmly.
 
I looked at my watch and noticed that it was nearly 8am. “Uwaaaaah! I'll see you guys at lunch! Bye!” I shouted over my shoulder as I ran all the way to the school. I could feel the looks of everyone's eyes on me as I ran, but I didn't care. I never have. Let the think what they want, I have my own life to live. That is the freedom that Domyoji and the F4 have given me.
 
I don't remember much else about that day's classes. I faintly remember Asai and her group in the class, whispering and throwing dirty looks at me, but I couldn't have cared less. When lunchtime rolled around, Sakurako, Junpei-kun, and Kazuya-kun were all waiting for me outside my classroom. The four of us walked over to the college cafeteria and were met by the F3 and Shigeru. Shigeru raced over and grabbed both Sakurako and I, pulling us into chairs next to her. The guys sat down at the table, ignoring the sounds of the other college students from the sudden outburst.
 
After school, I went to my part-time job at the dango shop and Yuuki was there. We chatted about school and I told her about the phone call from Nishikado that morning. She was very excited for me, and then I told her about Junpei-kun showing up and how he'd been accepted, informally, into our little group of friends at Eitoku. I got a call midway through my shift from my family, begging me to come home. Instead of fighting like I normally would, I agreed and cleared things with my boss.
 
When I got there, a moving truck was at the apartment building we'd only lived in for two weeks and things were being moved from our apartment down to the truck. I was, but then again I wasn't, mildly surprised to see Hanazawa Rui standing there, chatting with my excited mother as the movers went in and out of the dingy building. I could hear some of what my mother was saying, but nearly nothing of what Rui was replying with.
 
“I really can't believe that Mimasaka-san called and offered Papa the job personally. It's like a fairy tale come true for us,” Mama was saying. It was then that I saw that Papa was fully dressed in a suit and tie and that Sumusu was standing next to him, a look of shock and disbelief on his face. Then, my mother looked over at me. “Tsukushi! Your friends are absolutely wonderful.”
 
“Eh?” I looked over at Hanazawa Rui, but he just shrugged with a slight smile. I'd seen him during the afternoon break at school at the emergency exit, lazily watching the leaves of the trees flowing in the breeze, but I didn't come out to join him. My mind was wrapped up in things that had happened that morning and I didn't think that I could join him that soon. Maybe the next day, that's what I'd promised to myself as soon as I saw him.
 
“Papa got a job with the Mimasaka Trading Company, as a section chief, and they're helping us move into the company housing building right now. We're going to have the top floor of the housing building.” My mother was practically floating, she was so happy, and I couldn't help but catch some of her contagious happiness.
 
“That's great, Mama. So, we're moving again? I get the feeling that Bedouins move less than we do…” I said.
 
“Onee-san, what's a Bedouin?” Sumusu asked, looking at me for the first time.
 
“They're nomads of the Sahara Desert in Africa,” Hanazawa Rui replied for me. “Ah, Makino, I have a message for you. From Tsubaki.”
 
“Tsubaki-nee-san? I thought she was in LA right now.”
 
“She is, but she said she's coming back in two weeks to check up on you.” He shrugged and gave me one of his quiet smiles. “Oh, and Shigeru and the others told me that I had to bring you over to Akira's house.”
 
Turns out that everyone had heard the news by then, and the group had decided to throw a small party at Mimasaka's house for me. The F3, Shigeru, Yuuki, Kazuya, and Sakurako were there, and it was just like old times. The only thing that was missing was Domyoji's commanding presence, but I think that he was there with us in spirit. I remember crying at everyone's kindness, the first day taking its toll on me finally, and everyone laughing at me being so girly.
 
So, my last year at Eitoku was a good one. Tsubaki-nee-san and Tama-senpai made sure that I came over to the Domyoji mansion enough to make it feel like home. I even managed to meet Tsubaki-nee-san's husband, who was a very nice and handsome man. Kin-san and Ayano were kind enough to call me over to come and visit them every once in a while. Ayano even became good friends with Sakurako, Yuuki, and Shigeru too. There were many Sundays when I was dragged from my house by the four of them to go shopping and to hang out with the girls.
 
Domyoji and I talked on the phone every once in a while, but it was never for very long and he always sounded very tired. However, I was surprised to come home one evening to find a very large package in my room. (The apartment was a condo and I managed to have my own room again, something I didn't think I would ever have before I moved away from my parents.) The package was from Chanel, and it was very large. I carefully opened it, slamming the door to my room in my mother and father's faces, and I was surprised to find a very beautiful dress with matching shoes staring at me. There was also a card with the dress, and I immediately recognized the handwriting.
 
“Makino, I know your birthday is coming up soon. My sister and I are coming to Tokyo for a few days during that time. Tsubaki said that I should get you something nice. I wanted it to be a plane ticket to Canada again, but she said that was too much. Let me know when your winter break is and I will try and meet you in Canada, even if I have to have the others with us. -Domyoji Tsukasa”
 
There was a PS on the back of the card. “I love you.”
 
I looked at the time and tried to figure out what time it was in NY, and realized that it was about 8am in New York, and that if I was lucky, I could call him before his busy day started. Quickly, I reached into my bag for my cell phone and dialed the number that I'd memorized already.
 
“Domyoji here,” he answered gruffly, the sleep still evident in his voice.
 
“Didn't someone bring you coffee with your breakfast, Tsukasa?”
 
“Ma- Tsukushi?” We'd promised one another that we would try and get used to using one another's first names a few months ago, but it was still hard to be so casual with him. Strange that I thought that, even though before he left for New York I was willing to give him my virginity and he already had my heart.
 
“I got your gift. Who told you my birthday was coming up?” I know that I hadn't told him or any of the F3 either. For that matter, only the girls of our little group knew about my eighteenth birthday that was quickly approaching.
 
“Shigeru. She wanted to throw you a party and thought that I knew about it. Why didn't you tell me last year that your birthday is the day after Christmas?” He sounded hurt, and I wondered why he was being so sensitive about that.
 
“Because if I remember correctly, you bought my Christmas Eve date from me for 70,000 yen, and then you didn't talk to me for days because of the incident with that little boy,” I said crossly, getting irritated by the memory of being blamed for that horrible day.
 
“That little boy was an obnoxious brat who interfered in our time alone,” he shouted into my ear. The tone of his voice indicated that if I didn't stop the way this conversation was going now, then we'd spend our twenty minutes arguing about the past and I wouldn't get to talk to him about what he wanted to know.
 
“About Canada, why there again?”
 
“Because my parents and sister won't be there.”
 
“Did you mean what you said about inviting everyone else too?”
 
“Tsukushi, I haven't seen you since April. It's now December. If that's the only way I'll get to see you, then yes.” I smiled at the annoyance and blatant whining in his voice. Sometimes it amazed me how he could go from sounding like a very grown man to a small and spoiled child. However, that was one of the things that I loved about him, very much so. “So?”
 
Again I smiled because he was being impatient. “Of course, Tsukasa. Winter break is the same as it was last year, the week between Christmas and New Year's. Can you take that much time off?”
 
I was surprised to hear him sigh morosely. “Not really, but I will be there for a few days.” The sound of shuffled papers carried over the phone, along with the voice of someone else. “I'll call Akira and Soujiro when I have free time to set this up. Invite whomever else you want to bring.”
 
“Alright. I'll let Yuuki and Shigeru know.” I paused, and the thought of our last trip to Canada and the night alone we spent came to my mind. “Let's not have a repeat of last year.”
 
“Woman, you are pushing your luck,” he growled, but I could tell that he was only playing.
 
“I'll take that as my cue to let you go and be important, Domyoji Tsukasa,” I replied happily. “Don't do anything… Never mind. I love you.”
 
“What were you going to say? Makino! Oi!” He paused in his yelling for a moment. “Can't you see I'm on the phone? Go away! Oi, Makino, finish your sentence.”
 
“Tsukasa, you need to work. I'll talk to you later. You can call me in the morning to yell at me if you want. I have the day off.”
 
“You better believe I will!” There was a click that signified the end of the call, and I couldn't help but start laughing. Even thousands of miles away, he can get riled up by a few words. I suppose that that is just part of his charm. 
 
He called me the next morning, before I went to school, and made a big deal of what I didn't say. After explaining to him that I had to get off the phone because of classes, I finally told him that it really hadn't been a complete thought. I'd spoken before thinking is what I ended up telling him, to which he replied that it was typical of me to do something like that. After that, he let me go, mainly because I don't think he could stay awake any longer and still get up the next morning to work.
 
It was a good thing that we ended the call when we did because Shigeru and Sakurako, who had strangely become very good friends when I wasn't looking, came and started talking a million miles a minute at me. When they paused for breath, I casually mentioned the invitation to Tsukasa's winter house in Canada, to which they squealed happily and began plotting. Who should come and save me from them but Hanazawa Rui, Nishikado and Mimasaka. They managed to gather from the other girls what they were so elated about and started sharing information with them as well. I took that time to sneak away to my first class, ready to get my day over with so I could tell Yuuki about the trip at work that day.
 
As I expected, Yuuki was all but screaming in joy when I told her about the upcoming trip as we closed the shop that evening, trying to figure out how she could get her parents to say yes to another random trip to Canada to be paid for by the F4. “Oh, but Tsukushi, do you really want everyone to be there for the first time you and Domyoji see each other after such a long time?”
 
“I… I don't know, Yuuki. I guess I'm just really glad that I can see him anyway. It's been eight months now, and I think we only talk once every two weeks. Even then, one of us is practically asleep or too busy to really try and have a meaningful conversation. I think I've had more time with Tsubaki-nee-san and Tama-san in the last eight months.” I sighed as I put my shoes back on. “Well, I'll have Nishikado call you tonight with all the details, since it looks like the guys are the ones who are actually doing all the planning.”
 
“Alright. I'll see you tomorrow, Tsukushi.”
 
“Good night.” I gave my best friend a hug and started home.
 
The day after Christmas, my eighteenth birthday, my house was invaded by the F3, Kazuya, Shigeru, Sakurako, Yuuki, and, to my complete surprise, Junpei. I was pulled out of bed, forced to dress, and was bodily carried out of the apartment to a waiting car that swooped us all off to the airport. I was not surprised that a private jet was waiting for us. I was even less surprised to see that it bore the Domyoji name on the side. Nothing less from those four.
 
On the plane, we were served breakfast, and everyone was chattering away. While eating, I couldn't help notice that Mimasaka-san and Shigeru were talking animatedly. Putting down my fork, I leaned over to Nishikado, who decided that he just had to sit next to me for my own protection from Hanazawa Rui (yeah right), and whispered, “Since when are they so close?”
 “Didn't Shigeru tell you? She and Akira's families have decided to betroth them.”
 “As in another prearranged marriage?”
 “You sound surprised. I would have thought that you would be used to this now. Akira has given into it and Shigeru doesn't seem to hate him.”
 “I… Well, I suppose that I really shouldn't be so surprised, but those two are so different.”
 “Yes, she is rather different from Akira's normal type of lady, but once she dresses up and presents herself, she looks less like a monkey and more like a fine woman.”
 “Who are you calling a monkey, Soujiro?!” Shigeru shouted, jumping up from her window seat across the aisle and nearly tackling both Nishikado and I. “Sheesh, you're more of an animal than anyone else, besides Tsukasa, I know.” She gave me a big smile. “I was going to tell you when we got there, Tsukushi, but I guess it's out now.” Wrapping one of her slender arms around Mimasaka's neck and sitting on the arm of his chair, she looked around the plane. “We're going to be married!”