Boys Over Flowers Fan Fiction ❯ You Want Me To Be What?? ❯ Chapter 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Title: You Want Me to Be What? 3/?
Author:
Makoto Sagara
Series:
Hana Yori Dango (Boys Over Flowers)
Pairings:
Tsukasa/Tsukushi, Sakurako/Kazuya, Mimasaka/Shigeru, others TBD
Rating:
T+
Warning:
het, language, based off of manga, OOC, SPOILERS
Chapter Three
After our time in Canada, things went back to normal. Sort of. Tsukasa went back to working and studying for long hours back in New York, and I and all of our friends went back to Tokyo. School was a blur, and before I knew it, it was nearly graduation time. To my surprise, that was when Tsubaki-nee-san returned from Los Angeles.
I remember the moment that I saw her. I had just gotten out of English class when the halls began buzzing with the whispers of my fellow classmates.
“I just heard that Domyouji Tsubaki-senpai has shown up,” Asai whispered to her friends.
“What in the world could make her return?” Yamano, one of her cronies, asked. Suddenly, I could feel three pair of eyes glaring into my back. It felt oddly like the year before when they would go between trying to suck up to me and openly hate me for how close I was to the F4.
“Tsukushi-chan,” Tsubaki called in her strong voice as I stepped out into the hallway.
“Nee-san!” She rushed over to give me a hug and I breathed in deeply her Chanel perfume. “I thought you were going to be in LA for the next month? Why are you home so soon?”
“What are you talking about? How could I possibly miss your graduation?” She pulled me away and looked at me carefully. “Akira called me to tell me that it was soon and I wanted to come and see you become a woman! I'm so proud of you for sticking around and staying with my worthless brother. You have no idea.”
“He… he's not worthless,” I responded, my face turning a few shades of red. “Oh, but I promised Shigeru that I would go shopping with her this afternoon.”
“Oh, Ookawahara-san? You're still friends with her?”
“Yes, she transferred here at the beginning of last year so she could attend college on this campus.”
“I heard that she and Akira are engaged from Tsukasa. How are things going between those two?”
“Well…” Before I could say anything else, we were joined by Shigeru, Sakurako, Kazuya and the rest of the F3.
“Nee-san, I heard that you were here,” Soujirou said happily. “When did you arrive?”
“Last night, but I decided that I would sleep off the jet lag before I attempted any kidnappings. However, I found out that Tsukushi has already been claimed for the day,” Tsubaki said sadly.
“Oh, Tsubaki-san, why don't you come with us?” Shigeru said, taking an arm of both myself and the taller woman. “There is always room for another woman's opinion. But, we'd better hurry. We're supposed to meet Yuki-chan at the store in about thirty minutes.”
“I couldn't poss-“
“Don't be ridiculous, Tsubaki-senpai. Shigeru would love to have you along,” Sakurako simpered.
“Akira, please tell your mother that I will be over for dinner this evening,” Shigeru said, kissing her fiancé on his cheek before dragging the rest of us off.
“I see that things are progressing well for the two of you,” Tsubaki said once we were all in the back of one of the Domyouji limos.
“Well, I suppose that it could be worse. He's nice to me, and I love his younger sisters,” Shigeru replied.
“They are adorable… So, Sakurako, how are things with you?”
“Fine, but they could always be better,” the youngest of us said sadly.
“Ah, you say that, but didn't you and Kazuya go off on a romantic weekend recently?” I teased, watching my kohai's face turn a few shades of red.
“You've been hanging around Nishikado-senpai too much, Tsukushi,” she protested.
“Speaking of, are Soujirou and Rui dating anyone?” Tsubaki asked.
“The only person who could put up with Rui besides Shizuka is Tsukushi, and she's taken,” Shigeru said. “As for Nishikado, he's still dating everything with a skirt.”
“I suppose his father will announce an engagement in the next few years then,” I said, my face twisting up in disgust just a bit.
“Perhaps, although, I have yet to hear anything from anyone,” Tsubaki added thoughtfully. “So, where are we going shopping?”
“Ah, well, we…” Shigeru became very red and started stammering.
“Nee-san, we are going for dress fitting for the wedding. It's in a few months, before the next school year begins,” I answered for my friend, who gave me a grateful smile.
“Why are you so embarrassed, Ookawahara-san?”
“Oh, no, please, call me Shigeru, Tsubaki-san. After all, we were almost related.”
“Hm….” The air in the back of the car grew a little formal as we slowed down outside of the shopping district.
“Ah, look, there's Yuki-chan,” Sakurako said, jumping out of the car as soon as it came to a stop. Sure enough, my best friend was standing outside of the Prada store, looking uncomfortable but excited. I watched as she and Sakurako hugged happily and began chatting. I could feel a part of myself begin to beam as I realized that I was really able to completely meld all the wonderful women in my life at that one moment.
The dress fittings took about an hour and then we all looked around at the other clothes in the store. Sakurako and Tsubaki tried to convince me to purchase a very pretty floor length gown that was on sale, but I couldn't see myself spending so much on a dress I had no idea where I would wear it to.
“What about for Prom, Tsukushi?” Shigeru added in. “I think the coloring would be absolutely gorgeous with that earring set Tsukasa got you for your anniversary.”
“Can you even call it an anniversary? We talked for an hour, maybe, because he couldn't leave New York,” I said miserably.
“Aw, Tsukushi-senpai, you sound so much like a girl in love,” Sakurako teased, her face scrunching up just a bit in distaste. Even after all that time, she was likely to shoot barbs at me for “stealing” Tsukasa from her.
“Well, I talked to my useless brother yesterday and he said that he was planning on coming for your prom, if he could get away,” Tsubaki said awkwardly. “What about you, Yuki? What are you doing for prom?”
“Ah…. Well…. That is…” Yuki flushed bright red and couldn't speak anymore.
“She's going to her prom with Oribe Junpei,” I said, waggling my eyes meaningfully.
“The model?”
“The very one!”
Since the day that Junpei-kun showed up at my door to apologize, he had become an auxiliary member of the F4, meeting with the rest of us in the college cafeteria nearly every day that he wasn't working, and hanging out with us every chance he got. That he and Yuki became acquainted enough to begin dating wasn't all that amazing, and even his brother, Shingo-kun, thought it was rather amusing.
“Tsukushi, you should buy the dress,” Tsubaki said abruptly, “or, I will buy it for you.”
The other girls began laughing as I flushed and marched up to the counter to buy the garment in question. Truly, it was absolutely beautiful, sky blue silk with navy flowers embroidered all down the left side of the gown. As the cashier rang up my purchase, I could see Yuki and Tsubaki whispering furiously, both of them looking at me and frowning.
As I rejoined my friends, Shigeru's phone began ringing. She stared at the name on the phone's display and cringed. “It's my mother,” she said unhappily.
“What's the matter?” I asked her.
“I'm late for dinner.”
“Uh oh, you'd better hurry or Akira-senpai will call,” Sakurako said, pushing her towards the door playfully and taking Yuki with her. “We'll see you later, Tsukushi-senpai.”
“So I take it that Akira and Shigeru are doing well?”
“As well as can be expected,” I answered, shifting my bag and sighing. “Now, I'll need shoes to go with this… They actually appear to be happy and spend a lot of time together. They date normally and he's stopped messing around with married women as well.”
“Then he's serious. I'm glad. What of Soujirou, do you really not see him with anyone?”
“Like we said before, he's still the biggest playboy around.” I frowned momentarily as a random thought occurred to me. “I think he actually got worse when he found out that Yuki and Junpei-kun were dating.”
“Really now?” Tsubaki smiled oddly and grabbed my arm. “How about having dinner with me at the house? I'm sure Tama-san will be glad to see you.”
“Of course, I'd love to. Let me call my mother, and then we can head there.” I took out my cellphone and hurriedly placed the call to my parents, letting them know what was going on. Not surprisingly, they had no objection to me having dinner elsewhere, once the name Domyouji was mentioned. “They pass on their regards.”
“You're parents really are strange people, but I like them.”
“You have no idea,” I muttered as we slid into the comfortable leather seats of the Mercedes-Benz limo. “So, why don't you tell me why you're really here, Tsubaki-nee-san?”
“You're graduating in two weeks, yes?” I nodded, waiting for the other shoe to drop in this situation. Something told me that it had to do with one of my least favorite people. “Well, Mother has mentioned that you seem to be doing rather well and she “wondered” if you were going to attend college as well.”
“She wondered? Why didn't she just ask me herself?” I sighed in frustration as I thought about all of our previous conversations. “Really, that woman makes me so angry sometimes!”
“And this is why I was sent to find out. The two of you don't exactly have the best relationship.”
“Hmm, this is true, but to answer her question, yes. I plan on attending college at Eitoku. Since Akira managed to get my father the pity job at his company, Father has been doing better. It's almost like he's a different man. So, my parents have stressed that I get a degree and a job before I even think of getting married to anyone.” I laughed. “It's like they've been replaced by aliens in the last year.”
“Well, that is unusual, but I'm glad that they want you to graduate college,” Tsubaki replied, sounding just as amused. “Truthfully, I've been thinking of going back myself.”
“You should! I'm sure that Nii-san would want you to be happy.”
“Yes, my husband certainly has told me that if I want to go back to school and finish my degree that he would support me 100%. I just don't know what I would study.” She leveled her large brown eyes on me suddenly. “What about yourself?”
“Oh, I don't know. Hanazawa Rui has suggested that I study business. Nishikado said I should take music classes. Mimasaka and Shigeru think that I should study both World and Japanese History. Sakurako said I should study English, but somehow from her that doesn't seem to be as nasty as it could be.” We both laughed in memory of the girl's performance at the ToJ contest the year before.
“And what about you? What do you want? I think Rui's suggestion of business classes is smart, but the other suggestions are useful too.”
“What would I do with music classes?” I flushed as I remembered the debacle at Tsukasa's eighteenth birthday party a year earlier. “Do you think your mother would like another concert of my “avant garde” style of playing?”
“Well, whatever you decide to do, Tsukushi-chan, I'll stand behind you.” Her smile and the sentiment touched me so much that I could feel tears gathering behind my eyes.
“Thank you, Tsubaki-nee-san.” I hugged her tightly as we got out of the car and walked up the stairs to the ever-imposing Domyouji mansion. We had just reached the top step when the door was thrown open by Tama-senpai.
“Well, it took you long enough to come and see me, silly girl,” the old woman said affectionately.
“I'm sorry, senpai. I've just been busy lately.” The older woman huffed and showed us into one of the parlors.
“Since I understand that you are graduating soon, I will leave you be. However, I expect you to show yourself here more often.”
“Hai!” We all laughed at the silly situation and Tama left Tsubaki and me alone. “So, Nee-san, I think I'd like to go to the US before I start college. Hanazawa Rui has offered his apartment in New York, but I was hoping to see Beverly Hills as well. I'm also told that the beaches in California are to die for.”
“We'd be delighted to have you in LA at any time you want, Tsukushi. Just let me know when, and I will be at the airport to pick you up.” She lowered her eyes thoughtfully and sighed. “Why don't you want to go to New York?”
“I'm still not comfortable around your mother, and I have yet to actually meet your father. Somehow, I think that if I went there, I'd be expected to attend some sort of odd and uncomfortable occasion with both of them present.”
“Well, Father has said to me that he wants to meet you. As far as our mother goes, you'll have to be the best judge of how that would work out. Have you spoken to Tsukasa about this?”
“Not yet. The last time we spoke, he was between meetings. Oh, how is his English going?”
“Actually, very well,” Tsubaki said, slowly rearranging her long limbs. “He and I converse pretty much in English since his tutor suggested it. Our parents are also stressing English as well, at least until he improves more.”
We spent the rest of the evening gossiping and enjoying one another's company, but some small part of me felt like Tsubaki was fishing for something and it made me a little cautious. I woke up the next morning in one of the enormous bedrooms to my cellphone ringing incessantly. “Yes?” I said groggily, wincing as the sun peaked through the curtains and hurt my eyes and head.
“Are you hung over, Makino?”
“Tsukasa? Do you have any idea what time it is? On a coveted Sunday, no less,” I said, smiling despite the pain his loud tone brought me.
“I thought you'd be on the way to one of your many part-time jobs since there's no school and I'm in the US.”
“I actually took the next month off between graduation and Shigeru and Akira's wedding,” I said, sitting up in the bed and resting against the fluffy pillows.
“Hm, that's very unlike you.”
“Well, it's hardly every day that one of my good friends gets married, you know.”
“True.”
“Are you coming? I know they both want you to attend.”
“I don't think so. I actually have to go to Europe on a business trip all throughout April and May.”
“How unfortunate,” I answered, not bothering to mask my disappointment. “Hanazawa Rui actually suggested that Yuki and I take a trip to the US with him and a few of our other friends before we start college in May.” Even over the phone, I could hear the upcoming explosion and worked fast to diffuse the situation. “And I told him that we would have to pass up on that, but I did talk to Tsubaki-nee-san about visiting her in LA after the wedding, and possibly showing up in New York as well. But, if you're not going to be there, it can wait.”
“When would you be coming out?”
“I'm still thinking about it. It's no definite yet.” I sighed in frustration. “Tsukasa, I wouldn't go all the way to New York and not see you. There'd be no point in going if you aren't there.”
“You don't have to attend college in Tokyo,” he said, his voice pouting just a tiny bit.
“I've told you before that I'm not moving to New York.”
He was silent for several minutes and I began to worry that he'd hung up before he replied. “Tsukushi… If I can't make it back to Tokyo in time for your prom, go with Rui or Soujirou.”
“Tsukasa…” My heart began pounding painfully in my ribcage and my mouth grew painfully dry. “What is going on?”
“I have to go.” The strain of civility in his voice made me worry even more.
“Tsukasa!”
“I don't have time for this. I have to go. I'll call you later.” He hung up before I could say anything else and I could feel tears slide down my face as I stared at my silent phone. What in the world was going on? I couldn't understand anything. Things had been perfect when we were in Canada and nothing had really changed since the last time we'd talked, three days before.
The rest of the day seemed to crawl by as I dealt with both a hangover and a heavy heart due to the conversation with Tsukasa. By the late afternoon, I walked from the Domyouji mansion back to my house, lost in thought. What finally forced me to pay attention was bumping a person in front of my house. “Makino, what's wrong?” Hanazawa Rui's deep and calming voice seemed worried as he helped me to my feet from the ground.
“N-nothing,” I said, hoping my voice didn't let on I was lying and wincing as the high pitch aggravated my lingering hangover. “Have you been waiting long?”
“No, your parents told me you were with Tsubaki, so I was going to head over to Soujirou's for tea.”
“Why don't you come up then? I'll make you tea and you can have milk in it without anyone giving you a hard time.” Quietly, he nodded and then followed me up to my top floor apartment. My parents were watching television together and Sumusu seemed to be off at a friend's house, so my house was actually fairly quiet. “I heard from Shizuka-sempai the other day.”
“Oh?” Hanazawa Rui hung up his jacket as I did and followed me into the kitchen while I set some water on to boil.
“She just wanted to chat a little bit,” I said, blushing as I remembered the long distance talk I had with her. “She also invited me to Paris for a few weeks, but then said that she would be busy with school and work and apologized.”
He laughed and his face lit up, allowing me to smile in return. “She's always like that. So, are you going to go?”
“How can I? Tsubaki wants me to go to LA. Tsukasa….” I stopped, my thoughts trailing back to the early morning phone call and sighing.
“Did something happen with him?” I looked up into his concerned eyes and could feel the tears start to well up.
“I-I'm not sure. We were talking normally, and then I mentioned maybe, possibly, going to New York with Yuki and you after graduation… He just…”
“Let me guess. He got quiet and then nasty?” I nodded in response, pouring the now boiling water over the tea leaves and stirring silently. “Tsukushi, he's an idiot. I'm pretty sure he got jealous when you mentioned me.”
“He's such a kid in some ways, but then at other times, he's so mature. It's difficult to deal with sometimes.” Rui said nothing and just accepted the tea that I turned in his direction, adding milk while I sipped mine straight.
“I wouldn't put much thought into it. Besides, if he doesn't come to the graduation, I can take you to prom.”
“That's the funny thing, Rui. He said that if he didn't come to ask you or Soujirou. I have a bad feeling about this all.”
“Like I said, don't worry about it, Tsukushi.” He stood and kissed my forehead. “I'll see you on campus tomorrow.”
“Okay.” I watched as he put on his shoes and jacket and left the house as if he lived there. Some small part of me was content and calmed by his words and presence, but the rest of my heart and mind were still in turmoil. I briefly spoke to my parents and then went to my room to lie down. I knew that Rui was correct in that I would just have to give Tsukasa some time to get over his silly jealousy, but I didn't think it was anything that I was going to be able to solve overnight.
~#~
Before I knew it, the day of graduation had approached and I was putting on my Eitoku uniform for the last time. Unlike the F4 the year before, I was determined to actually go to the ceremony, especially since my parents and brother were going to be there. Kazuya, Sakurako, Junpei, Shigeru, and the remaining F3 members were waiting in my living room as I emerged.
“No, you can't go to school looking like that,” Sakurako yelled as she and Shigeru rushed forward and pushed me back into my bedroom. “What if Domyouji saw you like that, Makino-sempai?”
“I don't know, Sakurako. Tsukasa loves her so much, he might not care,” Shigeru said as she sat me down and began fussing with my hair.
“Blah, blah, blah, Shigeru, it's her last day and I won't have her looking like some poor piece of trash,” Sakurako said while she applied makeup to my face.
“Thank you, Sakurako,” I mumbled, trying not to move too many facial muscles while she had pencils and other objects so close to my eyes. “It's nice to know that with you as a friend, I will never have to watch out for enemies.”
“Now, now, Tsukushi,” Shigeru admonished, pushing me towards the mirror as the two of them finished their quick makeover. “You know that's just her way of showing love.” I sigh as I realized the truth of the matter and then hugged them both.
“I know. Thank you.”
“Has he still not called?” Sakurako took my hand and held it tightly. I shook my head as I tried not to cry and ruin all of her hard work. “Well, he's a fool. Come on before the boys get antsy.” I allowed them to again drag me around and surround me with all of their happy chatter. However, watching Sakurako and Kazuya and Akira and Shigeru as couples made me feel lonely and out of place. To say that I was relieved and content when the three others began talking to me normally would have been an understatement.
“So, Yuki-chan is very excited about tonight,” Junpei said casually as he and I walked towards the school together.
“Yes, I talked to her last night at work. The dress she bought is very cute.”
“Has Domyouji shown up yet, Makino-sempai?”
“I haven't heard from him.”
“So, who are you going with tonight?”
“Those two,” I said, pointing to both Rui and Soujirou.
“Both?”
“I figure, why not?” Junpei laughed as he headed off in the direction of his classroom. The others began to drift off in their separate directions, but Soujirou and Rui stopped me from disappearing.
“Are you still sure you want to go tonight? I know this really cool club that opened up a few weeks ago that would be more fun,” Soujirou said, flashing me his woman-killing smile.
“You mean more fun for you,” I added. “Look, Soujirou, you don't have to come tonight if you don't want to. I'm sure there's some girl that's just dying to go out on a `date' with you.”
“Please tell me you've learned to actually dance in the last year, Makino?”
“Of course! Akira has been giving me lessons on the weekends for months now.” I stuck my tongue out at him and he laughed.
“Fine, I'll see you this evening then.” He waved goodbye and went off to join his best friend and Shigeru. I looked up at Rui to see his face twisted up in thought.
“Is there something wrong?”
“No,” he answered distractedly. “I just thought I saw someone.” He shook his head and smiled at me briefly. “I'll see you this evening as well.” I watched as they all walked into the college building and totally missed the bell sounding for the ceremony. I barely made it in time to my spot before the speeches began. I could feel the eyes of the others on my back as I tried to catch my breath and pay attention to the facility as they started.
~#~
The rest of the day passed by in a blur, and, somehow, my parents managed to make it to the school, dressed to the nines and behaving like regular human beings. All the worrying I had done for the previous two weeks had been for naught. I couldn't believe how great they were. But, still, I had a tiny little spot of bitterness that one person wasn't there, even though I knew it was probably ridiculous to hope that Tsukasa could get away or be awake enough to show up for something as frivolous as my graduation ceremony, especially since I was only going to move up to the attached college of Eitoku.
I went to a nice lunch with Tsubaki, Tama-senpai, my parents and Susumu to a French restaurant that had just opened to rave reviews. While I stayed with some very mundane and easy choices, my parents were determined to try as many new things as they possibly could, and our table ended up looking like it was set for ten people instead of six. When our meal ended, Tsubaki offered to take me shopping, but I declined, saying that I would prefer to go home and rest before the party that night. Gracefully, she accepted my words and wished me a good evening with a warm hug and sisterly kisses.
As soon as I got home, I did take a tiny nap, the excitement of the day catching up to me and wearing me out. My cellphone was on silent, so when I awoke, I realized that I missed a few calls while sleeping. Shigeru was calling to ask me a question about my freedom for the next day, and I texted her back that I would be at her house around noon to help her out. The next was from Sakurako, asking me about the prom, which I ignored. There was a call from Soujirou and Rui, jointly, checking to make sure that they were still needed for that night. The last was from Tsukasa, and he only demanded that I call him back.
He answered on the third ring. “I'm in Tokyo, at the house. Why didn't you return with Tsubaki?”
“I was tired, Tsukasa. I came home to sleep.”
“Are you going to prom then?”
“Of course.” His voice held nothing but his odd brand of surliness and happiness that I loved so much. There was no trace of the jealousy of two weeks before.
“Ah, well, I'll be coming to get you at seven for dinner,” he said uncomfortably.
“Alright, I'll be ready then.” I smiled at the thought of seeing him again. “Tsukasa?”
“Hm?”
“I love you.” He chuckled warmly.
“I know you do, but you might want to let your other dates know that they are off the hook.”
“Ah, yes, they did call while I was asleep too. I'm glad that I called you first.”
“Me too.” He cleared his throat, which was a habit he hadn't had before and I frowned in contemplation.
“Well, let me go. I have some calls to make and some appointments to keep so that I'll be ready for tonight.”
“Of course. I'll see you later then.”
“'Bye,” I said, hanging up and texting Rui that I was going with Tsukasa after all and asking him to tell Soujirou. A glance at the clock told me that if I didn't hurry, I'd be missing the appointment at the hairdresser's, and considering how hard it had been to get it set up, I didn't plan on missing it. While I ran out the door to go to the train station, something about the way Tsukasa and Tsubaki had been acting lately made the back of my brain tickle apprehensively. The only reason for that would have been one person, Domyouji Kaede… Shit.