Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 Fan Fiction / Crossover Fan Fiction ❯ BGC 2055: Megatokyo Burning ❯ Chapter 11

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Fan the Flames: One
 
Officer Nene Romanova put the phone down, the blonde haired officer's face grave. "Ma'am?" Lisa Valente asked, the dusky skinned younger woman looking at the lieutenant worriedly.
 
"Keiko never woke up," Nene said softly, "the case is being upgraded to murder."
 
Leon McNicol entered the office, the tall brown haired chief of AD Police looking at her with concern. "So what's going on?" he asked, "I recalled all our officers like you asked, but there had better be a good reason."
 
"How does armed insurrection sound?" Nene asked tiredly. She looked over at Lisa, "Have the crackers determined if the disk is legit?"
 
Lisa nodded grimly, "It looks like Bioware, Re-genex and Nergal, along with several other corps, have been planning some kind of move to take over the city by force."
 
"But why did Re-genex get hit by the others?" Leon asked crossly.
 
"Maybe they were getting greedy," Nene mused, "or maybe some of the others wanted a bigger share of the pie."
 
Leon drummed his fingers on the desk, his look thoughtful. "Daley's still up north, trying to negotiate with China over the extradition of that group of corporate hackers," he said, "I'll try to get him back here, too."
 
"Maybe not," Nene offered quietly. At Leon's questioning look she continued, "We don't know how bad and crazy this is all going to get, it might be better to keep him out of the city."
 
"You don't think....?" Lisa looked at her in shock.
 
"Figuring for a worst case scenario," Leon nodded, "it makes sense." He looked over at Nene, "I guess we didn't get that disk legally?"
 
"No, but I'd try to arrest them anyway," Nene answered him grimly, "but before we send anyone out we need to have them ready with K-suits and chopper backup. The companies in question have been hiring mercenaries and smuggling in armored suits and I have no idea if they'd risk using them against us."
 
"Then let's do it." Leon strode towards the door before stopping to ask, "You want to lead one of the teams in, too?"
 
"I don't want to but I'd better," Nene responded. Once he and Lisa both left Nene sat at her desk and activated her communicator, dialing out on a secure line, "Sylia?"
 
The silver haired woman looked grim, and behind her there were enough details visible to indicate that Sylia was at Arisugawa's Locket. "We're getting organized here," she said crisply, "what can we do to assist the AD Police?"
 
Nene smiled, thinking of how odd their positions were, now. Once it would have been Sylia giving out orders, Nene and the other Knight Sabers racing to obey, but now she was giving the commands. "Mostly I'd just like the Knight Sabers and others out on the streets," she said, "we're trying to snip this in the bud by moving on the companies now."
 
"Mackie and Skuld are bringing out the Mobile Pit Van now," Sylia revealed, "we'll be ready to go when needed."
 
"And Arisugawa and her friends?" Nene asked curiously.
 
"Juri and her staff are determined to get involved," Sylia conceded, "they'll be moving out along with the Sailor Senshi and the Duelists."
 
"Going to be one hell of a group." Nene murmured before smiling wryly, "let's just hope we don't need them." All business she continued, "Got to go, but I'll contact you later."
 
"Be careful," Sylia said before signing off.
 
A few minutes later Nene had changed to tactical gear and was running into the vehicle bays, meeting her team at two of the transport carriers. Each could haul two of the K-suit armors as well as five troops, hopefully enough to deal with whatever was coming.
 
"Lisa?" Nene blinked, recognizing her assistant sitting in the drivers seat.
 
"Someone's got to be along to keep you out of trouble," Lisa answered, the young woman dressed in the same kind of light armor that Nene was wearing.
 
Nene opened her mouth, then closed it on seeing the determined looks on the other woman's face. Instead she turned to the troopers, "We're headed out to Bioware, officially to execute a warrant to search the place, but in reality we're going out there to secure the premises and try to put their bosses in protective custody."
 
"So why K-suits?" one officer piped up.
 
"You all got the briefing on the smuggling of Armored Suits a few days ago?" Nene smiled grimly. She took a breath, "Some of the companies we're going after today may be involved."
 
"Oh this is going to be fun," a younger officer murmured, a slight smile teasing at his lips.
 
Nene decided not to comment on that.
 
A few moments later all of the transport carriers peeled out from the garage beneath the AD Police headquarters, even as choppers took off from the roof to spread out in all directions over the city. Lisa used the radios to call Nene in the lead truck as they hurried out to Bioware, "So why call it protective custody?"
 
"Keiko had friends," Nene answered semi-seriously as the city lights streamed by her window, "some of whom are very annoyed with the company. If they get their hands on the heads of Bioware before we do, they're in deep shit."
 
"Not to mention the Sailor Senshi are involved," Lisa said, a bit of awe in her voice.
 
Nene felt herself smile as she said teasingly, "Aren't they just urban legends?"
 
"I did say that once, didn't I?" Lisa admitted as they reached a familiar looking business district. The Bioware tower wasn't that far from Re-genex, a modern skyscraper surrounded by similar buildings, various corporate vans and transports around it.
 
"Get the K-suits ready," Nene said once they pulled up in front of the building, "everyone, have your weapons ready. We don't know what we're going to be dealing with."
 
Her troopers quickly readied themselves, guns armed and ready even as the K-suits in the back of the trucks were activated. The sides of the truck folded down and a ramp extended, allowing the bulky suits of personal armor to move out.
 
'Not anywhere near the capabilities of the Knight Sabers hardsuits," Nene thought as the heavy armors moved, 'but at least they're now about the same level as military suits.'
 
"Deployed and ready to go," Lisa reported with a salute.
 
"Then let's get moving...," Nene started to say before something caught her eye. The Delivery trucks around the buildings were suddenly moving, and there were people climbing in the back of some of the ones that were parked.
 
"What's wrong?" Lisa asked even as the back doors of a nearby truck popped open, revealing a massive shape resting inside.
 
"GET DOWN!"
 
Exploding from the backs of several transport trucks military armored suits raced forward, mini-missiles launching from the shoulder mounts even as they brought their weapons to bear. Nene found herself grabbing Lisa as they dove for cover, other officers following even as the K-suits moved to intercept the attackers.
 
"How the hell?" Lisa squeaked out.
 
"They knew we were coming," Nene snarled out even as her troopers began to return fire, crouching behind exploded vehicles to fire at mercenary soldiers advancing behind the armored suits. The only good news was that they were holding their own, the AD Police Hardsuits dodging long range attacks to get into hand to hand with their mercenary counterparts.
 
Within the building a young woman gazed out at the conflict with expressionless red eyes, her blue hair falling gently around her face. "The penny's dropped," the harried looking executive behind her barked into his phone, "the AD Police are on to us!"
 
"Are you certain?"
 
"The AD Police attacked us," he answered, "the mercenaries are engaging them now."
 
"Get Ayanami-prime to safety," the voice ordered, "it isn't time to mobilize her just yet. Besides, we have something better to occupy the AD Police....."
 
To be continued....