Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ Always Faithful ❯ Chapter 3

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Always Faithful
Chapter 3

Tomoyo placed her phone down.She was utterly confused by Eriol's refusal to see her.She noticed that he had been avoiding her for days in school,in his house and everywhere.She thought he was just not feeling too well or it's one of those days when he isn't in the mood.But her thought proved wrong when she called him up awhile ago to inform him that she want him to see her off when she goes to the singing competition but he gave her a feeble excuse about him having to do some 'urgent stuff'.She knew something was terribly wrong,but he just won't say it.

Then something hit her.This began when she dreamt of him kissing her back in his room. 'What if..it was not a dream after all?What if it REALLY happened?' she thought.

"Tomoyo,the bus is here.Let's go!" called her singing coach.

She followed the woman quietly,but inside she was melting in humiliation.Imagine,kissing your best friend who's currently engaged to another woman!Eriol must think she was shamelessly immodest!She groaned audibly.

"Tomoyo,are you ok?" her coach asked.

She smiled weakly. "Oh yeah,everything's fine." 'If you call the total breakdown of your life 'fine',that is.
~*~*~*~*~*~

Eriol stared at his cellphone.He can't believe he just told Tomoyo he can't make it.He wanted desperately to see her again!Not seeing her for 72 hours is already killing him slowly.He missed her so much!

"But I have no right to feel this way.It would be unfair to both Tomoyo and Kaho." he reasoned to himself.

"Master Eriol?" Nakuru and Suppi sat in front of their master. "Ms.Kaho called awhile ago."

He didn't even stir.He was too depressed to pretend to be happy.

Nakuru slapped her forehead. "I knew it!You're in love!"

"Not anymore." he sadly whispered.

She placed her hands on her hips. "I'm not talking about Ms.Kaho,silly!I'm talking about Ms.Tomoyo."

"Hah!Stop saying that foolishness,Nakuru!Why should I be in love with my best friend?" he asked,his voice a bit too loud.

She smirked. "Good question."

He knew that the case was closed. "Ok." he admitted wearily. "I'm in love with Tomoyo.Big deal!"

"Why don't you tell her that?" asked the woman.

He looked at her as if she just asked what a can opener is for. "Because she doesn't love me the way I love her."

"I see.Are you sure?" she asked.

He paused.

"Tell her how you feel,Master." urged the cat.

He glanced at his other servant. "S-Spinel?"

"For once,Master,let your heart dominate your mind.You deserve to be happy." explained the black feline.

He stood up. "You're right.I'll tell her.I'll tell her as soon as she comes home."
~*~*~*~*~*~

That afternoon,Eriol received a text message from Tomoyo saying she won first place.He texted her back,congratulating her and telling her to dine in his house tonight to celebrate.As soon as she agreed,he went straight to he supermarket with Nakuru.

"What is this last-minute grocery shopping for?" She wanted to know.

He grinned at her. "A celebration dinner for me and Tomoyo."

"What about me and Suppi?" she pouted.

"Oh yes..you will go to the Kinomoto residence." he said as he inspected the vegetables.

She cheered. "Yay!I'll see Touya again!"

"And I'll see Keroberos again." added Suppi sourly.It was hidden in Nakuru's pocket.

He smiled to himself. 'This night would be perfect.' he promised himself.
~*~*~*~*~*~

By 8 pm,everything was set.Nakuru and Spinel were over in Sakura's house.The whole mansion was dark,except for the elegantly-dressed dinner table Eriol made by himself alone.Eriol sat by the door,anxiously waiting for Tomoyo.Dressed in a white tuxedo and bathed with his most expensive perfume,he knew it would be next to impossible for Tomoyo to turn him down.Or at least,Nakuru said.

Suddenly his cellphone rang.He picked it up. "Hello?"

"Hi Eriol,it's me." said the voice.

His heart began beating erratically again. "T-Tomoyo!!"

She laughed,almost making Eriol see angels on the evening sky. "Hey,you sound as if you won the lottery or something."

He laughed lightly to normalize himself. "No..no..it's just that I miss you so much."

"Oh yes,that's why you were always unavailable for the past few days." she pointed out sarcastically.

Eriol grimaced. "I'm sorry,Tomoyo,but I can explain."

She sighed. "No need,Eriol.Listen,I have something very important to tell you."

"Fire away."

"I love you."

Eriol felt he wanted to faint.Was she drunk again?

Sensing his silence,Tomoyo hurriedly elaborated. "I'm sorry.I know it's wrong to fall for you because you're already engaged with someone else,but I can't fight my feeling anymore."

"Wait,what did you drink tonight?" he asked.

"Orange juice,I think.But what does that got to do with?"

"I love you too." said Eriol,relieved that Tomoyo's wits aren't out when she confessed.

She gasped. "Y-You're not kidding?"

"Why should I kid about something that serious?" he asked in a challenging tone.

"Oh god!You don't know how happy you made me.." he thought he heard her sniffle. "But what about Kaho?"

"She's a woman I would always respect..but you..you are different.Tomoyo,I'm going to call her tonight and break our engagement." he informed her.

"No!" she replied in a suddenly tight voice. "She musn't leave you."

"Tomoyo..look,we'll talk as soon as you get here,ok?" he said.He wanted to pull their distance desperately.

"Promise me one thing,Eriol.Semper Fidelis.Never let me part from your memories." she pleaded.

He was confused by her sudden sadness,but he replied, "Yes,my love.Semper Fidelis. But hurry home,will you?"

She didn't reply anymore.And she never came home that night.
~*~*~*~*~*~

The next morning,Nakuru and Spinel went to their Master.They found him fast asleep on the sofa,his clothes unchanged as if he was waiting for someone.They woke him up.

"Is Tomoyo home already?" he asked hopefully.

The two exchanged worried looks.They just read in the morning paper awhile ago about te tragic collision of a ten-wheeler truck and a bus carrying passengers who came from a singing competition.All but one was declared dead on the spot.They managed to bring the victim to the hospital,but she died shortly at 8:07 pm with a blissful smile on her face.The victim was later identified as the only daughter of wealthy Sonomi Daidouji,Tomoyo.

He looked crestfallen. "I guess that means she isn't home yet.Maybe she slept in her mansion." He sat down on the dinner table where all the food he prepared had gone cold. "Can you bring in the newspaper?I'll just take my breakfast before I go to her house."

Nakuru and Spinel exchanged another look before nodding.They handed him the paper.
~*~*~*~*~*~