Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ Black Wings ❯ Chapter 7 ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Black Wings
By: Aisaki Sumi
 
Chapter Seven
 
She responded to the call by tilting her head to their way. Hauntingly beautiful emeralds met burning ambers, aligning their visions in a moment almost too short to be recognized, yet long enough to crack the layers of emotions hidden within him.
 
He was surprised, stunned to see a dark hollowness in her eyes. He didn't recall on seeing it before, when he met her for the first time. Or maybe he was just being more observant this time since he wasn't paying much attention to her, but to Eriol and Hiro who were actually absurd enough to kidnap someone and give her to him as a present.
 
There was a great saying: “one's eyes are the windows to their soul”. But no matter how hard he looked, he just couldn't find a justification for such seemingly innocent, frail girl to possess a soul as broken and tormented as this one.
 
Her face was unusually pale under the illuminating rays of the sun. It cast a faint golden glow over her cheek, tinting it slightly silvery and white. Her lips were pressed into a thin line like they did before. The corners of her small, almost delicate mouth never lifted up, as if she was rebelling silently against something.
 
She didn't smile like other girls around her age. The detached look in her eyes revealed her intent on being invisible and unnoticed by the world, matching the almost dark and mysterious aura around her perfectly. She was different, very different from the other girls he had encountered before. And this mere fact intrigued him immensely.
 
He didn't even know why he was paying so much attention to her. Perhaps it was because of the absurdity of their meeting, or the mere fact that Eriol and Hiro were ridiculous enough to pick her as his girlfriend. They were two people occupying different ends of the spectrum, and he simply didn't see how they could have thought that she was the one for him, after being his best buddies for such a long time.
 
Nonetheless, she had stirred something in him, and now, all he had to do was figure out what had she stirred.
 
A grin played on Syaoran's lips as he saw her stiffen, flinched subtly at the sight of them, yet she did not move an inch from where she was a moment ago. She had refused to display any signs of weakness to them. This rare tenaciousness revealed by her simple poise enlarged his grin.
 
He was fascinated by her.
 
“Long time no see sketchbook-girl!” Hiro's teasing voice interrupted his thoughts. And the next thing he knew, Hiro already got off his motorcycle and ambled over to where she stood. Sharp amber eyes trained upon the quiet, mysterious girl he had met sometimes during the summer holidays as he followed Hiro, while scouting for her reactions.
 
An utterly amused Eriol tagged along, looking nothing but delighted, as if the world couldn't get any better than this.
 
Sadistic bastard. Syaoran thought darkly to himself as he cast the smiling boy next to him a sophisticated look. Frankly speaking, he never really liked the harmless smile displayed on the other's face. It was probably due to his unusually sharpened sixth sense, and it told him never to mess with Eriol, only god knew the devil behind that angelic mask.
 
Upon reaching the girl, who only tightened her grip around her sketchbook as she shifted slightly away from the approaching trio as if their presence was beyond offensive. She glared hard at them, her green eyes icy and full of distrust, yet he could see the hints of fear betraying those shadowed orbs.
 
Syaoran couldn't blame her for it. After all, who wouldn't be scared to meet the devils that kidnapped her out of the blues under living daylights?
 
“Don't worry, they're not going to hurt you this time.” He assured her, as if he had read her mind. He sent her a scrutinizing look, and waited patiently for a reply that he knew would never come. Apparently the girl lacked the ability to speak. It was either that or she was deaf. Or maybe she just didn't see the point of speaking to them.
 
“What's your name? I didn't get it the last time we met.” Syaoran asked casually, his voice soft and gentle as he stared at her expectantly. But she merely glared at him, showing no intent on answering his question.
 
Before Syaoran could ask any further questions, Eriol cut in, although more it sounded more like he was talking to himself than to her.
 
“I didn't know you attend to this school too.” Eriol tapped his chin, a faint amusement lacing in his voice. “Is this your first time here or something? `Cause I don't really recall on ever seeing you here before…” he trailed off, a glint of mischief shimmered in his dark cerulean orbs that resembled the impenetrable deep blueness of the enigmatic ocean.
 
“Ah, you must be new to Tomoeda!” He drew out a conclusion, slamming his fist into his left hand's palm as a manifest expression formed in his eyes. The gleeful smile widened as he added under his breath in sheer amusement. “This is going to be a fun year…”
 
“You know if you need someone to show you around the school, I'd be more than happy to take the job.” Eriol offered, the unwavering smile slowly changed into something else, something that resembled a smirk. A devious smirk to be exact.
 
The girl remained silent with an indignant look on her face. It was then another distant, yet almost urgent call diverted their attention to it. There, Syaoran saw a long haired girl with an appalled expression attached to her face as she scampered toward them.
 
Within seconds, she reached them and stepped in front of the quiet auburn-haired girl protectively, directing a disapproving and disdainful glower at their way. “Leave her alone.” She demanded in an authoritarian voice. The lone statement was then left resonating in the air that was heavy with suspense and the overlapping indistinctive ongoing conversations in the background.
 
“And why should we?” Hiro inquired challengingly, his voice like silk trailing across a knife's edge as he glared down at Tomoyo in equal fierce. Backing down from a fight was never part of his vocabulary, and he wasn't about to let some girl tell him off. Until the day the earth starts orbiting around the moon, he would never allow it to happen.
 
Freeing a hand from his previous grasp onto the controller of the motorcycle, he brought it into the mid air, reaching forward until his finger tips touched her chin.
 
“What if I don't? What are you going to do then?” He asked defiantly as he narrowed his eyes dangerously; unsaid threats lacing his voice. Hiro saw a flash of fright in Tomoyo's large amethyst eyes, which disappeared as soon as it surfaced. But the mere thought of her being afraid of him made the smugly smirk on his lips to widen.
 
“Oi, let go of her.” The dark warning came from his side. Hiro turned to face the speaker, but only to find himself staring into a pair of perilous cerulean eyes which he recognized to belong to none other than Hiiragizawa Erio.
 
Sniffling in dissatisfaction, Hiro let go unwillingly nonetheless, not wanting to risk getting onto Eriol's bad side. That guy canbe such an overprotective bastard sometimes. He thought to himself, but never uttered out the words.
 
Tomoyo shot them another menacing glare before dragging a stiffened Sakura away from the trio. Their diminishing figures blended into the advancing tides of people in identical uniforms. All Syaoran could do was to watch, finding the scene rather eccentric, and the quiet painter quite peculiar.
 
“Hey do any of you know her name?” He suddenly asked, directing his question at no one in particular, leaving it open for anyone who could offer him an answer.
 
“Kinomoto Sakura. Her name is Kinomoto Sakura.” Eriol replied, studying Syaoran from the corner of his eyes.
 
“Sakura…” He echoed, trying the name on his tongue, finding it sound rather pleasant. An intrigued glint glimmered in his golden amber eyes, making it hard to distinguish if it was due to the affects of the light or of something else…
 
“Why so interested in knowing her name all of a sudden? I thought you didn't care about girls?” Quirking an eyebrow, Eriol pressed for answers without making his intent seem too obvious. He had known Syaoran for as long as he could remember, and the other had never taken an interest in any girls before, not even the slightest bit. And the abrupt change in his friend's attitude made him wonder.
 
“I don't.” Syaoran responded curtly, still not taking his eyes off the frail figure that should have blended into the crowds easily, yet for some strange, for some unexplainable reasons, she stood out amongst all these other students. She was just that different, that hard to miss.
 
Like the beautiful cherry blossoms, she appeared to be so innocent, delicate and dainty on the outside, yet she held so many secrets within her that allured countless number of admirers to her. Or at least she had managed to obtain his sheer interest with such ease.
 
Her silence, her dark and recondite aura made him to contemplate. Like a piece of puzzle, an enigma that no one could figure out, she stood there in the crowd, almost untouchable, unreachable, and incomprehensible. This stirred something in him, perhaps his innate curiosity, he didn't know. But what he was resolute about was that he wanted to solve her, to figure her out.
 
It was almost enthralling, challenging in a way, and Li Syaoran never backed down from a challenge.
 
……
 
“Sakura-chan, I don't know how you got to know those people, but they're dangerous.” Tomoyo looked at her meaningfully, with a rare seriousness lingering in her eyes as if she was trying to pass down a deeper message to Sakura. “Stay away from them.” She warned Sakura as they slowly made their way to their home form.
 
Sakura kept her eyes on the well-polished ground that was glowing slightly silvery as the bright lights in the hallway bounced off it. She simply hugged the sketchbook closer to her chest, recollecting her memories of her first encounter with them on her second day back to Tomoeda.
 
“They're in the gang, Black Wings, lead by Li Syaoran, the chestnut haired guy you saw with the other two.” Tomoyo explained as they continued down the hallway with the other students who were heading toward their assigned home forms as well.
 
“I don't want you to get involved with any of them, since this is only your first day here at Tomoeda Heights. There are still a lot of things you should know about the people at this school, before continuing further.”
 
Sakura nodded along absentmindedly as she listened in silence. While she tried to sound out his name in her mind, the name of her dark angel. He was the one who had saved her from the two kidnappers, the one who brought her home safely, and the one who treated her with nothing but gentleness.
 
She had a suspicion that they were gangsters. It was just her intuition, and she knew, her intuitions were right most of the times.
 
“The leader of Black Wings is actually the successor of the eminent Li Clan. I'm sure you've heard of them before. They're quite famous in Asia. It is the only reason why the school never bothered to dismiss the gang. They always turn on a blind eye to whatever they do, as long as the violence isn't too out of control.” Tomoyo commented bitterly, disgusted at the corruptness of the school's system.
 
“Anyway, what I'm trying to say is, it's better off if you don't talk to them at all. If you see them, just ignore them and pretend you have something else important to do and leave right away. She advised as they continued to stroll down the wide, illuminated hallway of Tomoeda Heights.
 
Suddenly Tomoyo halted into a stop and twisted around. Sakura was surprised at her sudden movement and stopped as well, looking up at her but only to find herself staring straight into the eyes of a deadly serious Tomoyo. “I don't want anything to happen to you again Sakura.”
 
“I don't want you to get hurt again.”
 
Sakura's green eyes widened as she felt her heart skip a beat.
 
A/N: Really should be writing chemistry lab report and law essay on stupid human rights thing right now, but my muses pressured me into writing this chapter again. -shakes fist-
 
Fuji's song, Black Rain is so addictive. And the way he said “boku ni katsu no wa mada hayai yo” in that sexy, silky tone just made the fangirl in me squeal in joy. Gah, and I'm falling for Ryoma's songs all over again. His voice, or rather, Minagawa Junko-san's voice sounded so sad in the song, Yuugure and Crying Sky. It made my heart ache. T.T
 
Regarding to Nadeshiko's suicide, I will only give you one hint, when things are too perfect, there is usually something wrong with it, because such perfection don't exist in reality. Even if they do, it is shortly lasted. And as for Nadeshiko and Fujitaka's divorce, it is possible. Sure they seem happy and has a perfect marriage in the anime, but what if it is only a façade? Most of the things, when a marriage is really perfect and flawless, even the smallest force applied can shatter it entirely. So it is possible, in terms of reality.
 
This chapter is unbeta-ed at the moment. Disregard all the mistakes.
 
Review people! The more reviews the faster the updates. Fair enough? Lolz. Don't be lazy!! Besides, this chapter was soooo long ne ne? lolz. So reviewww if you want more SxS moments!! :P