Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ Black Wings ❯ Chapter Eleven ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Black Wings
By: Aisaki Sumi
 
Chapter Eleven
 
He was persistent.
 
Sakura drew out the conclusion while she poked the fried shrimps in front of her, neatly piled on a layer of rice in her bento.
 
It was lunch time once again, her favorite time of the day. It was the only time she had to get away from it all—from the world around her and find a quiet sanctuary of her own, where she could be herself and paint the pictures of her heart, and of her mind.
 
The cherry blossom tree had become her special “hangout place” lately. It offered her a peaceful tranquility that she rarely found anywhere else.
 
Surrounded by serenity and the constant melodious rustling of leaves, inspiration came with ease and drove her to finishing a numerous numbers of sketches for her art projects.
 
However, it hadn't been the case lately and Sakura was beginning to ponder on the exact geography of the school and whether or not it had another remote place such as this one.
 
Feeling slightly annoyed and uncomfortable about her current predicament, the only thing she could do was to poke her food with the pointy end of her chopsticks and listen to Syaoran babbling away about the least interesting things. Parties, motorcycle races, and many other illegal things that she didn't want to hear about.
 
While she was bothered by the personal things he was sharing with her, he seemed as if the world could not get any better than this. The grin was perpetually attached to his face. Sakura was almost sure that if the wind had changed directions, his face would stay stuck that way.
 
Either way, she listened quietly while she silently prayed for him to leave her alone.
 
“And so we ended up getting drunk and partying on the streets until the patrolling officers came. Sadly the party had to end since neither of us wanted to get a ticket for causing public disturbance.” She heard him say, grumbling out the last few words with grudge.
 
She could almost hear him rolling his eyes without even looking up once.
 
A moment of silence followed as his words resounded in the air. Sakura almost forgot to breathe when she felt the suddenly risen tension between them.
 
Shifting uncomfortably, she heard a soft rustling of fabrics and felt a pair of intensive amber eyes training on her, fixed upon her only. It was so focused that she was sent to a panicking state by the amount of attention she was receiving.
 
She didn't enjoy being the center of one's attention. Rather, she enjoyed being invisible and transparent to naked eyes. It made her feel safe and protected in a way.
 
But now, all the protections were taken away; all the layers she used to hide herself were being striped away one by one until the real Sakura was being revealed.
 
“How come you never talk?”
 
The sudden query made her blink blankly a few times. She paused for a moment. Eyebrows furrowed into a contemplative frown as she pondered on the answer to the question.
 
In truth, she didn't really know. She had stopped talking years ago. Silence was a more preferable companion than sounds of empty words of comfort and assurance. It offered more truth, more honesty.
 
“And don't tell me that it's because you can't talk.” He immediately crossed out the first excuse that came into her mind.
 
“I heard you speaking in Art Class yesterday, and even though you only said three words, that still counts as talking.” He recollected as he placed a finger underneath his chin, looking thoughtful as he nodded in agreement with himself.
 
“You shouldn't be shy when it comes to interacting with others. It's not like you're a freak and had a strangely deep manly voice or anything.” He paused before adding, “Your voice is nice.”
 
Sakura stopped on track as the compliment registered in her head. The chopstick that was going to nudge her vegetable over was frozen in a frame of movement--an inch away from her food.
 
Her clouded eyes stared down at her bento, looking without actually seeing. Her heart rate increased a little, but just slightly. The distinction was almost too subtle to be accounted as any difference.
 
He looked at her expectantly, as if waiting for her to reply again. Even a hand gesture was enough to light his face up at that moment. But she kept her silence, eyes gazing at anything but him. And it was becoming a bit frustrating. Just a bit. But he was still determined to figure this enigmatic girl out.
 
Giving up was never a part of his vocabulary.
 
He had been coming to this cherry blossom tree every lunch since the first art class they had together, greatly to her annoyance and wondered if he would ever give up on trying to get another word out of her.
 
Tomoyo was never around at lunch. She had choir practice, student council meetings and organizing events for the photography club since she was the club manager. Her lunch was usually booked.
 
She couldn't blame Tomoyo for being so involved with these extracurricular activities. Tomoyo had always been the popular one even when they were in elementary school.
 
She felt a small gap between them back then, caused by the large difference between their social status in the school and as well by their personalities.
 
A few years ago, she wasn't as silent and solemn as she was now, but she wasn't loud or active either. She was just enough to be around the average line. She was just acceptable.
 
But now, she could feel the gap widening and watch Tomoyo distancing away from her.
 
Perhaps one day it would be enough to break free from the force that was binding them together. Perhaps one day, the other would leave her behind and move on with her life and pursue something greater.
 
She couldn't possibly depend on Tomoyo, or become too attached to the other's accompany.
 
Everyone had a different path that they must follow, a dream they want to chase after, and a destiny that was decided before their birth.
 
Sakura had already accepted what life has offered her. She didn't dare to dream for the impossible. It was better to keep her ideas as realistic as possible and work with what she had.
 
But sometimes, she couldn't help but wonder, where was this life leading her toward? The dark angel that she had heard so much about—the one who was going to set her free and bring her, her long sought happiness?
 
She didn't know. As she pondered further, she found herself gazing into the warm amber eyes, emanating such brilliancy and passions for life.
 
“Are you always like this? Ignoring the others and tuning out, looking so lost in your thoughts?” He waved a hand in front of her eyes. The innocent, almost child-like curiosity she saw in those pools of amber caused her heart to pound faster than usual.
 
Her lips were slightly parted and her eyes were widened with surprise as she continued to blink dumbfoundedly, trying to sort out the logics of how and why were they in the position they were in.
 
His face was just inches away from her. She could feel his warm, moistened breath beating against her cheeks. The faint warmth dissipated as soon as they contacted her porcelain cheeks, leaving a tingly, lingering sensation behind.
 
Sakura felt the pervasive warmth spreading out on her face.

Apparently, he decided to invade her personal space after receiving no response of any sort from her for the past ten minutes. She should have given him some credit for coming up with the brilliant plan of jumping in front of her out of the blues and stare at her with his face just inches away from hers.
 
The pigments of his irises were clearer than ever now she noticed. Red encompassing golden amber mixed with hints of hazel.
 
He had successfully gained her undivided attention.
 
They remained in that position for a moment too short to be realized but long enough to be felt as an eternity. The world seemed to have faded away ambiguously as the two searched for the beautiful souls they saw in those fleeting moments. All the glimpses they caught that tugged at their hearts relentlessly. They might not have realized it yet, but would soon enough comprehend it.
 
It was then the sudden loud ringing of the school bell snapped them out of their own world, where time was frozen in that one single frame, where reality was just a mere illusion that was faded and eventually forgotten.
 
The ringing echoed in the air thick of emotions, doubts, uncertainties, hesitancies and much more.
 
Feeling the sense of reality returning to her, she acted upon impulse and pushed him aside as far away from her as possible.
 
She abruptly flipped her barely touched bento closed and placed it into her lunch bag along with the chopsticks. Her working hands felt awkward and her mind was spinning as she finished packing up her things at a speed that was almost too fast for her brain to process.
 
Lifting herself off the ground hurriedly, barely retaining her balance as she held on tightly to her precious sketchbook that never left her side, while her other freehand carried her bag.
 
The brisk wind that whirled by blew against her almost frail profile, tossing her hair about messily around her delicately shaped face.
 
She strode forward as fast as possible, ducking her head low as she tried to escape the awkwardness she felt a moment ago, and the wisps of his scent that lingered still in the air.
 
She wanted to get away from it all, from the source of her discomfort and also the one that made her traitorous heart pound almost hopefully.
 
Just as she attempted to scamper away from the cherry blossom tree, she felt a strong hand holding her back. His grasp was firm and halted her into a stop. Shocked beyond belief, Sakura twisted around, unintentionally aligning their visions once again.
 
He leaned forward, bringing a hand up to her cheek, tapered fingers barely contacting the smooth creamy skin as they swiftly slid up her face to the few auburn locks that swayed to the direction of the wind. Sakura flinched at the unexpected gentle touches that felt tingly, as if numbed by the sparks of electricity formed upon the contact.
 
A gentle, relent smile tugging at his lips as he removed the leaf that clung to her hair. She saw the corners of his lips curving upward slightly right then, slowly widening into a grin that was caught between a small smirk and a smile.
 
“A leaf.” He stated as he let go of the said object, allowing it to be carried miles away on the carelessly wind.
 
Sakura simply stood there and gawked at him, watching the small leaf drifting so weightlessly through the air in swirls and eventually disappearing from her sight. His voice was soft yet resonating she realized, barely heard but producing endless echoes in her mind.
 
Breaking their eye contact with great difficulty, she managed to swerve around hastily and walked away before she could find herself involuntarily lost in the rare beauty of his eyes again, unmatched by any other.
 
The last thing she needed was to become attracted to him, even in the least ways.
 
……
 
Sakura's jaw tightened as she felt another flying object colliding with her back. Snapping her eyes close just temporarily, she told herself to breathe in and out and to ignore the crumbled paper tossed at her way every five seconds.
 
It was her favorite class after all, and she came here to paint, to let the quiet artist in herself out, not to be irked by the notes thrown at her way.
 
Fuji-sensei had assigned them into different groups, painting different statues at the same time just to ease the boringness of everyone creating identical images.
 
She was put into a group of four and their assignment for this particular class was to paint the image of the Greek Goddess of Love, Venus, while Syaoran was assigned to another group to paint Mars, the God of War.
 
Her grip around her paint brush tightened as she felt a bigger object crashing into her back, constantly distracting her from concentrating on her work. To say this annoyed her would be the greatest understatement of the year.
 
“Just pick it up Sakura.” She heard his instruction, slight irritation and frustration lacing his voice.
 
Sighing in defeat, she bent down reluctantly to pick up the closest crumbled paper ball and flattened it out on her lap.
 
On the lined paper, she saw neat hiragana and kanji printings and it read. Come to the motorcycle race today after school. Black Wings and Bloods are going to battle out a winner and loser.
 
Sakura frown a little as she bit her lower lip, pondering who the Bloods were since she already knew that Black Wings was a gang led by none other than the person who was throwing all these notes at her.
 
Her contemplation was cut short as she saw Fuji-sensei approaching her group. Panicking a bit, she quickly shoved the note into her bag and picked up her paint brush again.
 
However her mind was no longer with the task she was performing, but wondering of what the motorcycle match would be like. She wasn't really interested in what he did with his spare time, but it would be a lie to say that the motorcycle race didn't obtain a small part of her interest.
 
Perhaps she'll go and watch.
 
But if he throws another paper ball or paper plane at her, she would move her work station elsewhere where those random flying objects could not reach her and ignore him for the rest of her life.
 
……
 
Loud cheering and clamors saturated the once empty track field which was now crowded with excited and interested students.
 
All eyes were trained on the two figures occupying the two racetracks in the center. Syaoran's red motorcycle was exceptionally bright under the shower of golden rays, giving away the impression of a burning phoenix, ready to aim high for the sky.
 
Syaoran was more than just ready. Helmet in place, flaming red jacket with his gang symbol drawn on the back.
 
Amber eyes had a rare serious glint—an indication of passions and pride and intention on winning the race like he always did. His upper body was lowered to a position that would reduce the maximum amount of air resistance.
 
His motorcycle roared like a lion, as if announcing the presence of a lion—a king, defending his throne from foolish challengers.
 
Syaoran's gaze quickly swept across the crowd, his face lighting up into a beam, a radiant confident grin as he saw his gangs and other supporters who idolized him cheering as loud as possible for him.
 
But the grin widened with traces of surprise as he spotted a timid form standing in the middle of the crowd.
 
She came after all.
 
Returning his attention to the racetrack, he narrowed his eyes in concentration as he watched the two girls standing on the side waving the bright red and blue stripped flag.
 
It signaled the start of the thrilling race.
 
Syaoran dashed out like a gust of violent wind, with only one goal set in mind, and that was to cross the finish line like a true champion.
 
While he tried to stay focused on the race, Katou tried a number of times to knock him off his motorcycle, but his every single failed attempt only added onto Syaoran's determination to win.
 
Speeding up, Syaoran ducked his body lower. The wind howled in his ears, almost deafening him.
 
The finish line was within his reach he realized as he squinted, peering through the bright lights.
 
Pulling up his motorcycle as he raced passed the finish line, like a golden phoenix in flight. He heard cheers, voices of his friends and gang members—all those who crowned him as their leader, the king of Tomoeda Heights.
 
Syaoran took off his helmet, allowing the soaked chestnut locks to sway with the wind. The gentle, butterfly-light touches of the cool, refreshing breeze trailed along his perspired skin.
The feeling was soothing and soul-calming.
 
Eriol and Hiro were the first ones to rush up to him, patting him on the back as they congratulated him on another win. The cheerleaders standing on the side danced and jumped as high as they could, and screamed out his name at the top of their lungs.
 
The smirk of confidence quirked on his lips as he turned to surveyed his surroundings. But as his eyes traveled across the large crowd to find that familiar face, his grin waned as he came into a realization.
 
She was no longer there.
 
-
 
-
 
-
 
-
 
A/N: I really do hate FF.N. They won't let me post a note without attaching a chapter to it. -growls at FF.N-
 
Anyhow, I just want to let you guys know that thanks to many of the reviews I received last week, I realized that I was just being a stupid lilo girl. I do have people out there who truly understand and appreciate this story. I saw a lot of new reviewers who are actually silent readers and have been a supporter of this story since the time it was out. Many didn't leave a review because they didn't feel the need to, but that didn't mean they hated this story or didn't understand it. They were just part of the majority reviewers who loved this story regardless of how angsty it can get at times.
 
“Remember...you write for you...and you post to inspire...To take people to a place... that at the moment...is more appealing than where ever they are now.” (A quote from Jade's review) This really hit me. I almost forgot what I was writing for and whom I was writing for and the reason why I even put those stories up on FF.N in the first place.
 
I just want to tell you guys that you made my day and helped me to realize that I write for myself, for inspiring others, for bringing reality to the world of fanfictions where reality was often a neglected component. But it is the essential ingredient in writing a believable story.
 
And yes, I will take on many's advices and just ignore those stupid people out there. It will be hard, but I know now that I've got so many people backing me up! (I will be posting a 3-chaptered fic for those who encouraged me to go on, to follow my heart and do what I believe is right. Remember to read the dedication list cuz you'll definitely be seeing your names there :D)
 
As for the phoenix in flight stuff at the end, it's actually for our Robotics Team :D. We're the Phoenix Robotics, Canadian Rookie All Stars, team 1814!! I felt compelled to add our moto to this because Syaoran was like a phoenix, so ever bright. I'll try to post another chapter before I go to Atlanta for the Robotics World Championship that's taking place in the Olympic Stadium of Atlanta :P. Remember to cheer for me!! Lol. We'll be competing against 300 teams from over 60 countries around the world. We'll be representing Canada, so if you're a Canadian, remember to cheer for team 1814!!
 
Also, just before I go, I have a forum up and remember to come by and say hello! The link is posted in my profile page, remember to check it out!
 
Reviews are always appreciated. Flames and stupid comments will be ignored from now on.