Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ Black Wings ❯ Chapter 14 ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Black Wings
By: Aisaki Sumi
 
Chapter Fourteen
 
Amber eyes widened momentarily with shock. A few silken chestnut strands fell into his eyes as he stepped backward. The man standing before him was none other than the one he saw in the portrait, but with more lines of wisdom around his winkling eyes. A small smile bloomed on the other's lips as he gazed at Syaoran with something closed to delight.
 
Gulping unconsciously, Syaoran felt the breath he inhaled in a moment ago caught in his throat. His heart almost stopped pounding the moment their shoulders collided at the doorway. The events took place all too quickly, and Syaoran wasn't sure how he should react to it. If any at all.
 
“Oh hi, sorry about that.” The older man murmured, his voice low and soft, fatherly and resonating pleasantly in the air, producing endless echoes that were barely audible. “I'm Kinomoto Fujitaka, Sakura's father. And you are…?” He trailed off, slight surprise and curiosity evident in his warm hazel eyes.
 
Syaoran blinked a few times, hearing his own pulse thudding loudly in his ears. “Umm…Li Syaoran desu… I'm her classmate…” There came his reply, full of uncertainty and nervousness. Even he found that nervous, timid, quiet voice foreign. Where was his confidence and cockiness?
 
“Oh really?” Rather than yelling at him for being alone in their house with his precious daughter, Fujitaka looked delighted, amusement and contentment lacing within his words.
 
“That's great. I didn't know Sakura already made friends at her new school. Thank you for coming over and hang out with Sakura.” A polite bow followed and Syaoran felt his own cheeks growing hotter by the passing seconds.
 
“Umm…thanks for having me over…” Syaoran stammered, unable to decide on a more appropriate reply, he returned the bow with more respect. Fujitaka smiled pleasantly back at him and stepped into the house, gently closing the door behind him.
 
“Sakura rarely tells me anything about school and her friends. I was actually a bit worried about her not being able to fit in since she's a little shy around strangers. Did Tomoyo introduce you to her?” Fujitaka looked up suddenly as he changed into a pair of white slippers.
 
Flinching at the unexpected question, Syaoran blinked and took his time to process the question and somehow coming up with a good response. “Um… not really, I met Sa- I mean Kinomoto-san in Visual Arts classes.” Syaoran felt like smacking himself right then for almost using her first name.
 
Fujitaka gave him a light laugh. “It's alright, you can call her Sakura in front of me. I'm really glad you two are getting along so well. Usually it'll take Sakura at least two years to get to know someone really well and allow them to call her by her first name.” He cast a quick loving glance at Sakura who was standing silently by the couch.
 
Her eyes were fixed on the ground, and the bangs that were falling into her eyes made her expression unreadable. It was so hard sometimes to figure out what exactly she was thinking when she wasn't speaking. Syaoran could see the hint of sadness in that quick glance. It was full of pain and an unspeakable sorrow.
 
His heart skipped a beat right then. A sudden, strange bundle of emotions was weighted upon his pounding heart. The weight crushed his nearby lungs, making the task of breathing extremely difficult. Even through the dim lit house, he could see the clear display of emotions in Fujitaka's eyes.
 
He almost felt he had stumbled upon something personal, something he shouldn't be seeing. Sakura's family history and entire background were still an enigma to him. The family portrait he saw earlier reflected nothing but perfection, but in reality, the Kinomoto were far from being perfect. Rather, all its secrets were hidden behind that beautiful satin veil.
 
If one didn't look close enough, the flaws would be easily missed.
 
“Anyway, Li-kun, make yourself comfortable while I go make dinner and I'll let you two know when it's done. I'm sure you and Sakura have your `teenager' thing to do. Don't let me be a bother to you.” Syaoran almost blushed at the suggestion, when he stole a peak at Fujitaka, he only saw his smiling face, unwavering.
 
Syaoran wanted to dispute it, and explain himself clearly that he was actually on his way out. But nothing came out.
 
“I'll be in the kitchen. Give me a call if you need anything.” With that being said, Fujitaka hung his jacket on the hanger and headed for the kitchen, rolling his shirt's sleeves up as he strolled toward his destination.
 
This left Sakura and Syaoran staring at each other with the silence of the late afternoon being their sole companion.
 
“Sorry about this… listen, I really don't want to intrude upon your family dinner or anything. I'll be on my way out and let Kinomoto-san know that I really appreciate his invitation--” Before he could even finish his sentence, Sakura turned to his way, cutting in.
 
“It's okay. He invited you in, and you should stay.” Sakura reasoned quietly.
 
Her face remained expressionless. Even under the dim lighting, she still looked mysterious and beautiful. Her skin was like ceramics, like the most expensive china, pale and smooth, a lighter shade of snowy white.
 
The silence of the house rang in his ears, like a bad song put on repeat. Everywhere he looked, he felt like it was hiding a secret. The more he studied the house itself, the more puzzled he became.
 
He couldn't solve her. She was too complex. Her personality and appearance, they didn't quite match. She looked too innocent, but when he looked into her eyes, maturity and sorrow reflected in them. It gave away the impression that she has seen too much.
 
While he was lost in his own thoughts, she already made across the living room and disappeared into the dark hallway silently like a lost soul wandering under the faded moonlight, beautiful, lonely, and serene—an eternity of grace and elegancy.
 
Surprise flashed in those golden orbs, a sense of frantic washed over him as he looked around for her. But she was no where to be seen. She must have left the room while he was staring into the vacant space, lost in his own contemplation.
 
Just when he was about to go look for her, she showed up at the entrance to the living room with a bucket of water in her hand and a towel hanging on the lip of the bucket.
 
The struggling look on her face revealed the heaviness of the bucket. Syaoran immediately rushed to her side to offer his assistance. But she stubbornly turned down his offer and carried the heavy bucket of water to the blood stain herself.
 
He watched her dropping it onto the ground with a small sigh of relief before kneeling down and attending the stain. Her small hand held the piece of cloth tightly as she scrubbed the carpet. Guilt rushed into the chambers of his heart instantly. His mouth thinned into a line as he approached her again, kneeling down beside her himself.
 
“I'll scrub it off for you.” He offered carefully, not wanting to get on her bad side.
 
“No it's okay.” She mumbled; a few strands of hair fell into her eyes. She used her wet hand to push it aside annoyingly, but only to cause more strands to escape the hold of her hairclip.
 
“Here I'll help you.” He insisted as he brought his un-bandaged hand close to her face, barely touching her smooth cool skin as he slid the hair to the back of her ear. She stared at him in shock, a hint of red surfacing her pale cheeks. He smiled gleefully at her, hardly embarrassed by their close proximity.
 
“You can't multitask like that Sakura.” He chided with slight sarcasm and amusement lacing his silky voice. He watched her turning away from him defiantly, refusing to provide him with the slightest bit of amusement. Syaoran almost laughed.
 
The awkwardness from a moment ago dissipated soundlessly into the air. Syaoran almost felt he could breath easier now. His legs were beginning to tire out as he attempted to keep his stillness.
 
Unable to take it any more, he sat down onto the carpet and observed her swift and delicate movements like a child taking in the sight of a cake in the making.
 
She suddenly stopped moving. Her hand reached out for the water in the bucket, but the position of the water bucket was slightly out of her reach. Acting on impulse and his strong desire to help her, he reached for the water at the same time, but only to find his hand sliding over hers.
 
The touch was tingling, as if an electrical spark had just passed through their bodies. Unknowingly, they turned toward each other, aligning their visions unintentionally, serendipitously. Sometimes Syaoran wondered if everything involved them was fated. There were just too many coincidences.
 
Sakura drew her hand back first, eyes glaring at the ground. Her hair shielded her face away from him. It was then Fujitaka called out from the kitchen. “Dinner's ready!” Syaoran whipped his head around and looked over his shoulder, eyes picking up the golden glint from the kitchen far away, at the end of the darkened hallway.
 
The rustle of clothes shattered the silence that filled in between them once again. Syaoran lifted his gaze but only to find Sakura walking pass him, her shirt brushing against his cold hand. The brief contact reminded him of the moment where their hands touched unexpectedly. Her skin was just as soft and smooth, but slightly colder than it should have been.
 
He followed her to the kitchen and what welcomed him was the pleasant scent of meal, and the lighting of the kitchen was perfect. It brought out the coziness of the house and the feeling of a family dinner. Syaoran gaped at the food laid out on the table, feeling his appetite growing rapidly.
 
Even though they had more dishes during a normal Li-dinner, but the table was always empty. His sisters were all married and started a family of their own. His mother was never around for dinner, and while she occasionally was, the atmosphere was a lot more intense and embraced by cold formality. They were nothing like a family.
 
“Take a sit Li-kun.” Fujitaka instructed lightly, a gentle smile tugging on his lips. Syaoran nodded and seated down stiffly. It was almost awkward in a sense, since he has never been invited to anyone's house before for dinner. Surely he had been to those formal dinner parties, but it was nothing like this.
 
“So Li-kun, how are your classes so far?” Fujitaka conversed casually before taking a bite of his nigiri sushi, and he glanced at Syaoran.
 
“Umm, pretty good, this year's a lot more intense than last year I guess.” Syaoran answered, feeling his uneasiness disappearing. He didn't even know why he was so startled and nervous in the first place. After all, Fujitaka was nothing but kind and understanding to him.
 
“Ah, of course, it is your last year in high school and the university entrance exams are just around the corner.” Fujitaka nodded to himself, the smile was perpetually plastered on his face. He picked up a few sushi rolls and placed them on top of Sakura's rice.
 
“I hope you can help Sakura with her math and the things she doesn't understand. She rarely asks me for help.”
 
“I'm not that great at school subjects myself, and Sakura helps me a lot in arts.” Syaoran grinned sheepishly as he placed a sushi roll into his mouth. It tasted absolutely delicious.
 
“Souka na…” It seemed like Fujitaka was nodding to himself. “So Li-Kun, I haven't asked you about your family yet. How long have you been in Tomoeda anyway?”
 
The sudden question caught Syaoran a little off guard. He wasn't really expecting being questioned about his family matters. It was the last thing he ever wanted to discuss. But the hopeful and kind glint in Fujitaka's eyes made refusal almost impossible.
 
“My mother's the head of the Li Clan, we've been in Tomoeda for only five years.” He answered forcefully.
 
“Oh you're part of the Li Clan!” Fujitaka exclaimed, manifestation evident in his eyes. “I thought your last name sounded familiar, but I didn't want to make an assumption.”
 
“Don't worry about. People always ask that when I tell them my name. I grew used to it already.” Syaoran answered dully, gazing down at his food.
 
Fujitaka studied the young man before him, catching the sullen look in his eyes with easy. “But, you are you, and that's the most important thing, ne?”
 
This forced Syaoran to lift his eyes, and what came into his sight was a pair of understanding brown eyes.
 
……
 
Dinner ended with Fujitaka and Syaoran dominating the table conversation. Sakura stayed silent most of the times. Her facial expression changed from occasionally embarrassed look to slightly flustered and then to somewhat sulky. The atmosphere was a lot more relax than before. They could almost be mistaken as a family. Almost that is.
 
The late autumn evening was fast approaching. The dark velvety sky outside served as a reminder to Syaoran that the magic was almost over. Soon, he would have to go back to a large mansion others could only dream to live in. But he dreaded it. He didn't want to go back to an apathetic family with nothing but high expectations.
 
“It was great meeting you Li-kun, and drop by next time when you're not busy with studying.” Fujitaka waved a hand, bidding the younger boy goodnight. Sakura stood by her father's side, her large emerald green eyes never left Syaoran. Her lips were still pressed into a thin line, but Syaoran could see the corner of her unsmiling mouth lifting just slightly. Even though the distinction was subtle, he could still see it and it made his heart pound with excitement.
 
He reluctantly turned his back on them after bowing politely and respectfully. A chilly gust rushed past him. The coldness against his skin made him shiver. It stole away the only warmth left in his skin yet he didn't feel cold. His heart was filled with a strange kind of warmth that he had never experienced before.
 
Instead of going home, he headed for the base to stall sometime before his mother sent out a group of bodyguards to kidnap him back to the mansion.
 
He opened the door of their secret base and expected to be greeted with the usual “yo”. But it didn't come. Instead, the query that often reminded him of his mother greeted him. “Where the hell have you been? Meiling phoned 100 time already, yelling at me for not passing down the message correctly. I thought you were supposed to go home!”
 
An annoyed and irritated Eriol growled at him with his arms crossed. Syaoran wondered if he should tell the other that he looked like his mother, but decided wisely to shrug off the idea. Teasing Eriol when he was in a bad mood won't be a smart move to make.
 
“Something happened on the way.” Syaoran explained vaguely as he took a seat.
 
“What happened to your arm?” Nothing ever escapes Hiro's eyes. All eyes fell upon Syaoran's bandaged arm.
 
“Katou and the Bloods.” Syaoran answered nonchalantly. “It's not big deal. Sakura saw me on the way and helped to bandage my arm.”
 
“THOSE BASTARDS SNEAKED UP ON YOU AND INJURED YOU?!!!” Hiro jolted up from his seat as if it burned. Anger and fire of fury flashed in his eyes as his jaws tightened. “Those low life bastards.” He muttered a curse, cracking a knuckle.
 
“It's all good now. But I'm worried about Sakura. She doesn't know what she's gotten herself into.” The seriousness in Syaoran's tone made Eriol and Hiro face his way, both immediately quieted down. It wasn't often to see their leader this serious and they knew it was time to listen.
 
“Katou and the Bloods will find out that she helped me and they would hunt her down for sure. She doesn't know anything about the danger of saving a gang leader when he is involved in a fight with an opposition team.” Amber eyes gazed into the distance, his dark eyebrows meeting each other in a frown.
 
“Well what do you suggest we do Syaoran?” Eriol questioned carefully.
 
Syaoran looked thoughtful for a minute before reaching a decision, he declared loudly and clearly, “I'm going to protect her.”
 
Hiro and Eriol's jaws dropped right then.
 
-
 
-
 
-
 
-
 
A/N: A/N: Poetic muses struck me. I got a little carried away in this chapter. I didn't even glance through this chapter quickly, so excuse the obvious mistakes. I thought you guys might want to read it first before I send it to my beta-reader. Since that usually take a few days.
 
Feedbacks appreciated. Flames ignored.