Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ Cherry Blossoms Bloom Every Spring ❯ Carol of the Bells One ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Cherry Blossoms Bloom Every Spring

Chapter Seven- Carol of The Bells Part One

Christmas Edition

By: Sorano

Disclaimer: Card Captor Sakura belongs to, as we all know, to the talented CLAMP, whom I can only dream of matching. And credit is also given to Kodansha, who brought it to life. And yes, even Nelvana, who introduced it to me in the first place (though I've long since outgrown them).

Here's your Christmas present, minna! Right on time. I put a lot of work into this you had better all appreciate it! I was working until midnight last night trying to finish it on time!

A/N: Hey, minna-san! It has been an awful long time since I posted, ne? I've been having trouble getting my ideas down on paper. I really wanted to do a Christmas fic and add it on to Cherry Blossoms Bloom Every Spring. So started an internal debate, seeing as it would be a 'Mary Sue' to make it a one-shot to those who have not been following the series. Actually it is a Mary Sue, but it seems my faithful readers don't seem to care because Mei-ling-chan is just so cute, ne? And it's not so much a Mary Sue because the story is seen through and revolves around the original main characters. Anyway, I've decided to write only for my sake, not for publicity (Xing taking off Author Alerts and all- no I will NOT pay) so I will just make a seasonal chapter in my series and voila! Not another X-mas fic, but rather another me finally getting another chapter in this doomed series. Be patient with me, minna-san, onegai. Ano, I posted a CCS Halloween fic back in October but never received a single review for it and I was heartbroken. :) If anyone would like to read it... And one other thing, I'm working on the wedding chapter at this very moment, I just had to bump it back for this chapter. I know they are already married in this chapter and Mei-ling has aged a few years, but let's all pretend that some time has passed and I'll go back and fill those years in later. Right now I'm just rushing to finish this very LONG chapter before Christmas. Anyone want to have their say in one of the most important chapters ever? And one more little note. I'd like to mention for those who know more of Asian culture than I do that I know 100 yen stores are primarily Japanese novelty stores, but for the sake of the story, we all pretend they are Chinese as well. ONE MORE IMPORTANT DETAIL I MUST ADD SO NOBODY IS ROLLING THEIR EYES AT MY IGNORANCE HALFWAY THROUGH THE STORY- I know much (most) of China and a lot of Japan does not celebrate Christmas and especially not with the same vehemence that much of the rest of the world does. I wrote a lot of this story thinking like the Canadian that I am, so for the sake of the story once again, let's all agree to overlook cultural obstacles, okey?

Now for those who have even read this far, on with the story! (as you can see I'm not funny- I'm an illusionist) And everyone knows what X-mas means! Lot's and lot's of sweet sap! If Christmas doesn't give you cavities enough, than this sure will.

****************************************************************** ****************

"Medetashi! Medetashi!" An energetic young woman bounded down the stairs- taking each step two at a time, not unlike when she was a child. Her tired husband caught her as she waltzed by his study.

"Sakura-chan," his voice was low and strained. "What could possibly be so wonderful right now?" Upon peering closer, one would see his rumpled silk shirt had faint stains of blood writ upon it, and there were dark bags rimming his eyes. Why was he so pale? Why does life become so hectic around December? His sweet wife seemed to take no notice of his condition and just continued to smile at him.

"Oh, don't be a grump, Syao-kun! I've just received wonderful news!"

"So I've noticed. Eeto, are you going to tell me? I'm not clairvoyant, koishii."

"No, that's my job." Sakura grinned. "I've just received a letter from Hiirigazawa-kun today and he says he's got important matters to attend here in Japan and wouldn't it be wonderful to see everyone again. Iiya, they get in at 12:15 tomorrow morning."

"Sakura...Ara, they?"

"E, you don't think Hiirigazawa would come all the way to Tomoeda and leave Spinel Sun and Nakuru-chan behind, do you?"

"No, they'd probably burn the house down without Hiir-" SMACK! Syaoran glared at his wife, but he knew it would be no avail. Sakura had become immune to his looks when they were children and still rivals. He continued. "And of course you invited them to stay with us, ne?"

"Hai. Daijoubu?"

"Don't you think we have enough to deal with at this time of the year- trying to support ourselves and Mei-ling? And all that creepy stuff that has been going on lately..." Mutilated teddy bears, dolls hung by nooses, music started up on it's own, the blood everywhere...so much blood everywhere! "And wasn't your brother coming up for his break?"

"Uh-huh! And of course he will bring Yukito-san with him! Hanyaan!!!!!!!!!" Sakura's eyes went dreamy and her small hands were clasped together in adoration.

"Oh, no! We aren't starting that again! Yukito-san is very happy with your brother and you are happy being with me. You are, aren't you?" His voice grew lower, more timid.

"Of course! I love you, Syaoran! I keep telling you that! Why don't you trust me? It's just, eeto...it's nice to see my first love again. Yukito-san was my very special friend, remember? I love Yukito-san. He is a very important person to me. But you, kanojo, you are the one I love most."

"Yeah, ok."

Sakura scowled in indignation. Crossing her arms, she mumbled, "Here I am, proclaiming my undying devotion to my husband and all he can say is 'okay'."

Painted swirls displayed several emotions racing through the boy's amber eyes, but Sakura was no better at reading them than she was eight years ago. Suddenly his arms were around her and she was flying through the air, around and around. "No!!!!! Syaoran put me down!!!!!!!!" Half-laughing, half-screaming, she closed her eyes and wrapped her arms tight around him.

When he breathlessly slowed down, Sakura pressed her face against his cool shirt and whispered, "Kanojo, I know you have been working very hard, and protecting us is starting to wear you down." Still in his arms, her long fingers traced patterns of dried blood on the dark viridian cloth. "Do you think I don't notice?"

Startled, Syaoran set her down, gently still, pushing her body against his so that they were in tight embrace.

"I..." Sakura bit her tongue, not wanting to hurt her husband, yet also wanting to get her point across. "I'd feel better with Hiirigazawa-san and Yue-san here. Oniichan, Akizuki-san, and Spinel as well. I can't really explain it. It's just, I can feel things, evil things, are started to stir up. I want my friends to be here. I know they can protect us, my daughter, in a way you can't do alone. Hiirigazawa is so powerful and with the others' magic I'm sure we can get to the bottom of this. Please, kanojo, don't be upset. It's Christmas!"

"That's right, I suppose. It'll be just like old times, ne?" Syaoran forced a smile for his wife and moved in for a kiss, but due to Sakura looking down at a tugging on her skirt, he ended up kissing her hair.

Syaoran's smile was sincere when he saw it was his small daughter between them, candy cane adorning her mouth in red juice.

"Musume, what is it?" Sakura asked, grimacing as she wiped off the girl's mouth. Some sacrifices you had to make when you were a mother, some rather disgusting ones, she thought as she wiped her hand on her new skirt.

"'kaasan! Snow!" the little girl burst out, still tugging on Sakura's skirt. "Looky, 'kaasan!" Both parents had been taken by surprise lately at how quick the child was learning to speak at only three years."Snowing, kaasan!" With a chubby little hand, Mei-ling grabbed onto her father's starched pants. "'tousan! Snow! Pretty snow!"

Syaoran tried to exchange a rolling of the eyes with Sakura over Mei-ling's head, but Sakura would have nothing of it. "Is it really, musume? Show Okaasan, sweetie. Show mommy the snow." Sakura allowed herself to be dragged away by her daughter and pulled up to the frosted pane window of their front foyer where open curtains revealed soft flakes drowning out the busy world.

Syaoran followed behind at a slower pace, a small smile on his face. He loved seeing his two girls so happy. Though he never held much in his heart for winter, the spirit was quite contagious. "Sakura-chan, I swear you a such a child sometimes. It's only frozen water."

The two girls turned around to grin at him and it shocked Syaoran for a moment. Perhaps it was the way the light shone on their honey hair, or maybe it was the glow in their eyes. It could have been two children, one so old and one so young but so alike standing together in the lush room, with the snow as a backdrop. It was absolutely beautiful, like an old-fashioned portrait. This was time, and love and happiness all mixed together in a perpetual fairy-tale some one had dared to call life.

Li Syaoran would do everything in his power and more to make sure they were like this forever. Sweet innocence, he would protect them.

* * *

"It's beginning to look at lot like Christmas! Everywhere- to the world! The Lord...." Sakura's old boombox, sitting under a pile of tangled lights, skipped all over the place, creating a merry madness in the humen pandemonium.

"I want to do everything right this year- traditional- because it's our first Christmas together," Sakura had told her husband who was beginning to develop a perplexion complex. "A big beautiful fir, with full branches and a sweet piny scent-"

Syaoran had disappeared into their garage for a couple minutes, then came back dragging a huge cardboard box. A product of our culture- EZTREESINC. "It's perfect! Just what I was thinking of!" Sakura announced and squeezed her husband's arm.

Though Syaoran had refused to go out into the snow and chop down a lush fir- that didn't mean he couldn't be coerced into putting it up. After all- after it fell on Sakura that first time, he was convinced it was a man's job. (A/N: ^_^ You can relate, minna who puts up artificial trees)

"I made coo-kies!" Nakuru waltzed into the crowded living room, balancing a plate of sugar cookies on Sakura's new Santa plate.

"Are they suppose to be green?" Syaoran asked, peering carefully at the object of interest. Sakura had to kick him before he would put it in his mouth.

"They look delicious," Eriol told his creation and gingerly took one. "And you even iced them, too." Though he smiled for Nakuru, his face replayed a grimace as he swallowed.

Nakuru beamed. "Mei-ling-chan helped me." She reached behind her to produce the toddler, who was quickly stuffing cookies in her mouth. Sakura gasped, while her husband only snickered. Mei-ling was covered from head to toe in flour, had red icing smeared all around her lips and eyes and she clumps of chocolate in her hair. Not to mention all the cookie crumbs.

"The chocolate isn't finished yet," Nakuru said as if that were explanation enough. She bent down and kissed the little girl's head. "Ara, Sakura-chan, your daughter is such a darling. She's so cute just like her mother."

"Eeto, arigato Nakuru, but uh...what happened to her?"

Nakuru looked down at the kid who was happily absorbed in licking all the frosting off, as if she didn't understand. Her eyes widened and she giggled. "Gomen, Sakura-chan. We were just have a little fun." Nakuru took the girl's hand and began to pull her up. "I'll clean her up, okay?"

Mei-ling began to whine, because she did not want to leave. Sakura was becoming quite annoyed and stood up. "I'll take her, Nakuru. I want to see the state of my kitchen." Nakuru protested, but Sakura picked up her daughter and marched out of the room.

"I don't think she's very happy," Nakuru said and flounced down beside Spinel Sun on the couch. "People should be happy, happy, happy all the time, ne Suppi-chan?"

"Who's Suppi-chan? Were you into the icing sugar again, Ruby?"

* * *

Syaoran took a long sniff. The small creature resting on his knee smelt wonderfully of Johnson's Baby Shampoo and baby powder. His chin rested softly on her silky hair and his arms were wrapped protectively around her, in case she might fall. It was only now that he realised how much Mei-ling-chan really looked like him. She looked more like him than she did her mother, with her beautiful dark hair and serious eyes. Someday she would outgrow her baby roundness and have his strong, defined chin. "You're my girl, ne koishii?"

Mei-ling looked around, the bottle of snow glitter in her hand and the nozzle still pressed. Syaoran yelped as the cold liquid hit his face. His daughter giggled. "Silly 'tousan!"

Syaoran set her down and took the can from her. "Iie, silly kodomo. Let me do the spraying from now on. Which stencil do you want next?" He lay the white cutouts in front of her, though he knew she'd take an endlessly long time to choose. Children were like that- it was cute really- they had to make sure they were making absolutely the right decision.

"Sn'man," Mei-ling cried and clapped her hands gleefully. "big white sn'man!" To help him out, she squatted down and picked up the stencil.

"Thank you, m'dear," Syaoran grinned at her and taped the paper stencil to the cold window.

"Ara, Syaoran-kun," a sweet voice came from behind him. "You aren't doing that again, ne? It makes such a mess!" Syaoran knew Sakura was smiling. She loved Chistmas decorating more than anyone.

"Relax, koishii. Mei-ling- chan will clean up any mess we make, won't you, Mei-ling?"

Mei-ling, who didn't really understand the conversation, nodded solemnly back. She would do anything for her father, even clean up tiny flecks of snow off the new carpet.

"That's my girl."

"Don't listen to you Otousan, Mei-ling-chan," Sakura scolded. "He'll force his bad habits onto you."

"My bad habits? Look who can't even drag herself out of bed on time for work. Look who eats ice cream for breakfast! You better watch out for your mother, Mei-ling-chan. I have the feeling I'll walk in one day to see you in the dryer with the laundry."

Sakura laughed gently and walked over to them. She looked like she was floating-like an angel. She had lost so much weight over the past months, even Akizuki-san had noticed. His wife was so pale. Though she didn't let on, Syaoran knew she was as worried as him, maybe more so.

"I'm not as bad as all that, ne Syaoran-kun? I know I've been a little out of it sometimes, but..."

Syaoran took her arm and brought her to the window. "Iie, anata daijobu." He pressed her small hand to the cold glass and used his hands to trace hers along the frosty figures. "See what your daughter did? I barely had to help her at all."

"I see she moved onto a more difficult subject," Sakura spoke of Syaoran's white face. "You had better go wash that off before it dries," she was teasing him. "I won't let you into bed until you're all clean."

Sakura pulled Mei-ling off Syaoran's lap, grimacing under the new weight. Mei-ling hadn't grown so much, had she? Or was it that Sakura was not as strong? But she smiled and lifted the toddler to her hip. "It's time I got Mei-ling-chan to sleep. And she still needs to have a bath, just like her Otousan."

"Hai, hai."

* * *

"Sakura-chan? I made pancakes," Eriol brought the steamy plate to the middle of the table. "What kind of syrup is this?" He lifted the sticky bottle up for closer inspection, but he couldn't make out the kanji. "It's not like our maple syrup in England."

Sakura yawned and rubbed her tired eyes, giving her the appearance of a raccoon. The table, she noticed, had already been set and Eriol held her chair ready to be flopped into. "This is great. You really needn't have gone to all this trouble, Hiirigazawa-san. And it is Katou syrup, made from honey. It's very expensive because it's so rich."

Sakura lifted the fork to her mouth, but never a got a bite. A screaming wail came from down the hall and she got up tiredly. "I'm really sorry, Hiirigazawa-san. You start without me. I have to go check on Mei-ling. She gets nightmares."

Eriol nodded sympathetically. "I'll make sure the food stays warm."

"Arigato." Sakura swept by her husband as he just entered the room.

"Mei-ling-chan mata?" was his quiet question.

"Hai."

Syaoran grabbed her arm. "Let me get her. You look exhausted."

Sakura smiled wanly. "It's alright, doomo. I know how little sleep you yourself have been getting, shunketsu of mine."

"Sakura-chan, I am her father, ne? You can let me help take care of her. You do not have to do it on her own."

Sakura blinked, clearly surprised. "Syaoran-kun? Wha-" These were not the words she had expected to pour out of Syaoran's mouth. "I need to go to her, Syaoran."

Sunlight streamed into Mei-ling's room, the toddler was sitting up in her small futon. Though she was still sniffling, a big smile was plastered on her face. "'kaasan! Gomen nathai," she lisped. "Mei-ling did not mean to wake Okaasan up."

Sakura sat next to her small daughter, sinking the bed slightly. "Daijoubu. Were you scared, Mei-ling-chan?"

Mei-ling nodded vigorously. "Hai. Mei-ling-chan had a nightmare. You di-died, Okaasan."

"Nani?"

"E, there was a lot of blood, 'kaasan. Mei-ling-chan threw up. And he kept laughing. It was very scary, Okaasan. 'kaasan, daijoubu? You look all funny."

Sakura was indeed positively white. How could a three-year-old girl dream of such things. Who had put these thoughts in her head? What was happening to Li Mei-ling Murasaki? What was going to happen? She coughed a little, finding it hard to swallow.

"Daijoubu, ima, Mei-ling-chan? Good. How about some breakfast? Eriol-ojisan made pancakes."

"Hai, hai!" Mei-ling leapt out of her futon and slipped her small hand into her mother's only slightly larger one. "Are you going to take me to see San'a today?" Mei-ling asked her mother as they walked down the long, lavish hall. "If Mei-ling-chan does not tell San'a what she wants for Chris'mas than he will not know and Chris'mas is only a few days away."

"Mei-ling-chan. Santa Claus knows everything, you do not need to tell him. Besides, Christmas is a whole week away."

"Like God? Is San'a like God?"

"Hai, musume. I suppose Santa is a bit like God."

"God is more important than San'a, ne?"

"Iie, not at all, my musume. It is only how you interpret and respond to Santa and God. Each are important because they give little girl's like you hope."

"Hope is important at Christmas, ne Okaasan?"

* * *

"More please!" Sakura and Mei-ling held out their plates in unison for the fifth time, stomachs still growling.

Syaoran reached across the table and wiped Mei-ling's sticky chin. "This is called a napkin, Mei-ling-chan. You will have to learn to use it some day."

"Oh, she's only a baby, Syaoran. Leave her alone."

"When Mei-ling is a grownup she will use napi-ka-n-as," replied the little girl stuffing another forkful in her mouth. "Okaasan says Mei-ling-chan don't do nothing until she is really big."

"And Mei-ling-chan is little so she can look like a slob?" Syaoran asked, eyes twinkling. He loved his little daughter dearly. She always gave the cutest responses and she was such fun to tease. Daidouji-san would adore this child and have a new subject to videotape. Ara, Daidouji-san. Sakura-chan must miss her terribly and everyone else. It had been so hard for her to leave Japan and everything she knew. Syaoran was glad he had consented to Hiirigazawa's visit.

"Mei-ling-chan no slob! Mei-ling is be-au-ti-ful!" The child pounded her fists against the table gently. She had an adorable habit of accentuating each syllable.

"Shush, Mei-ling-chan. If you do not eat your food it will become cold."

"Mei-ling not hun'ry no more."

"Why am I not surprised? Hiirigazawa," Syaoran called into the kitchen. "They have a bottom after all. You can stop now!"

"Hey! I'm not full!" Sakura protested, then blushed at the looks she received. "I guess I do look a little piggy, ne minna? Hoe?" she reached down by her side. "My pager." The expression on her face was quite readable. "I have to go into work. There's trouble again."

How much of the future could that girl read? Did Sakura-chan know more than she let on?

With her bad reputation and having dropped out of high school, Sakura had been very lucky to become the manager of a booming new 100-yen store. The problem was, with sales going down and these stores becoming more popular, the employees were becoming very angry. Riots and strikes were occurring more often in peaceful Hong Kong. Just last week a fire broke out in the second floor and resulted in several deaths. Sakura was forever being called in to take care of some problem or another.

Syaoran had promised to her that when his inheritance came in and the Li Clan started to pay him that Sakura would never have to work and she could concentrate on her magic. Sakura had accused him of wanting her to be a little housewife, but really all he wanted was for Sakura to be allowed to develop her power to utmost, so she would not share the same fate as Clow Reed.

"Okaasan!" Mei-ling hugged herself tight around Sakura's pant leg, making it difficult for Sakura to put on her jacket. The child buried her face in the fur trim. "Okaasan, you promised! You said I could go see San'a!"

"I'm sorry, sweetie, but I have to go out for a while. Would you like your Otousan to take you instead?"

"Iie! Okaasan, Mei-ling-chan wants Okaasan to go to San'a with her!"

"Gomen nasai, musume. I know you have been waiting a very long time but you will just have to wait a bit longer. We could go tomorrow. Iie, tomorrow's no good. We are meeting with the Li Elders tomorrow...I'm bus...." Sakura let her sentence trail off. "Be patient, Mei-ling-chan."

* * *

"Kero-chan?" The little girl shook the sleeping guardian roughly, not yet knowing how to be gentle. "Ara, Cer-cere-be-ros! Wake up. You sleep all day long and then Mei-ling-chan can't play with you. Mei-ling-chan likes playing with Yue-san, but he's funny and Yue-san isn't coming until tomorrow."

"You're the silliest kid I've ever met," Kero mumbled, finally opening his eyes. "You like Yue-san? I think he is incredibly boring."

Mei-ling squealed with delight at having woke him and wrapped her arms around his huge golden body. "Okaasan likes Yue-san. She says that he is her friend. She says that she loves him. "Mei-ling expected this to surprise Cereberos, because her mother loved her father and at this young age Mei-ling did not believe that her mother could love two men.

Cereberos on the other hand was used to his mistress and loved her for the love she showed others.

"There is a lot of stuff that Mei-ling-chan does not understand."

"Hai. You aren't alone in that."

"Why won't Yue-san speak about himself? Whenever Mei-ling-chan asks Yue-san who he is, which Otousan and Okaasan won't tell, he ignores me. Turns off like the T.V power control. Yue-san feels cold, Kero-chan. Like the snow."

"Don't worry about it, kodomo-chan. Yue-san is different.... Master Clow created him funny."

Mei-ling giggled, revealing a large, toothy grin. "You play with Mei-ling-chan, ne Kero-chan?"

The guardian sighed. "Hai, hai. I don't suppose Sakura-chan has taught you how to use one of those?" He pointed to the video game console that had been discarded in a dusty corner of the basement. When Cereberos had permentaly resumed his true form he had found the games hard to play and the young family did not have much use of them. Over the past year it had been dumped in the lonely basement to collect cobwebs, though every now and then Sakura-chan and him got a good game out of it for old-time's sake.

Cereberos brought Mei-ling over to the box and dusted it off when one huff and puff. Mei-ling tried to imitate him with her little shuddering breaths to no avail. When she began wheezing Cerberos had to tell her to stop for fear that she would pass out.

A knock at the basement door interrupted Cerberos' explanation of Pokémon. "It's still fun," Cerberos told Mei-ling. "Even if it did go out of style eleven years ago."

"Cerberos?" Syaoran's clear voice rang out, unmuffled by the thick door. "Are you in there? Is Mei-ling-chan with you?"

Cerberos made a deep sound in the back of his throat that sounding remarkably like a growl. "Hai. We're both down here, issho."

The door opened, spreading blinding light into the dim room. Syaoran stepped in, his face grim. "Mei-ling-chan, we have to go...now. Something terrible has happened."

"Otousan?" Mei-ling's eyes widened and she ran to him, clutching his legs desperately as if to say, up, up! "Daijoubu 'tousan? Kero-chan show Mei-ling-chan how to play v'o game. You play with Mei-ling-chan ima, 'tousan?"

Syaoran gritted his teeth in impatience. "Iie, Mei-ling-chan." He reached down and picked her up. "You can play later."

Cerberos lifted his head up and his eyes glinted like polished jade in the dark space. To Mei-ling he seemed like he was floating a million miles away.

"Li-san? Daijoubu? What's the matter? I've just found a kindred spirit here."

"Sakura-chan just called. The new mall downtown is closing and they're having a huge sale today only. And I still have all my Christmas shopping to do!"

"Is that all? I thought the world was going to end. What do you need Mei-ling-chan for?"

"Eeto, of course she's coming with me. I can't leave her here alone."

"Why can't she stay here with me?"

"Cerberos...Do we need to discuss this again?"

"Don't you think I am capable of baby-sitting a child for a few hours? Don't you think I am capable of looking after Mei-ling-chan? I have magic. I protected Sakura-chan all those years when she was a child."

"Sakura-chan was not as young as Mei-ling-chan and she was able to defend herself. She was not a helpless baby."

"What could possibly happen?"

"You know very well." Syaoran's eyes were hard, his voice tight. "I cannot let this child out of either my sight or Sakura's. She will die the moment I leave her alone. Do you understand that? Die. No, Mei-ling-chan. Do not listen to us. Kero, you will upset Mei-ling-chan. I cannot discuss this because you know the dangers that threaten to swamp us. I have a duty to protect my family and I will carry it through.

"Otousan, Mei-ling-chan does not like sho'ping. Sho'ping boring. 'kaasan get upset when Mei-ling-chan break stuff."

"Gomen, Mei-ling-chan. Demo, you will like shopping with me. You can help me pick out a present for your Okaasan."

"Iie!"

Syaoran was set in his mind and carried his daughter up the stairs, leaving Cerberos in the dark, alone.

"'tousan," Mei-ling spoke quietly, her head resting against her father's shoulder.

"What is it, koishii?"

"Mei-ling-chan thinks Kero-chan is sad."

"Iie, Kero-chan is not sad. Demo, I think he is lonely."

"Otousan?" Mei-ling's voice was ever quiet, ever meek. It scared her when her father got like this. Something burned within him and could consume whatever it touched.

"Hai? Nani?" Syaoran sounded tired, but not cross. Mei-ling knew she was okay as long as he didn't get mad. Otousan would never hurt her and only yelled when she was naughty but she did not want him to be real angry at her. One time, long ago when Mei-ling was really little there had been a monster in the house. The monster was mean and tried to scare Mei-ling and she saw Otousan get really, really mad. Syaroan didn't know, but Mei-ling had seen what her father did when he got really, really angry. Mei-ling knew her father was capable of great things.

"Dare? Who is 'Sakura-chan' ? You an' Kero-chan talk 'bout Sakura-chan."

"Sakura-chan is your Okaasan's name."

" Demo Mei-ling-chan thought 'kaasan was 'kaasan's name."

"Iie, Mei-ling-chan. Okaasan is an honorific name, which many women hold, those with children. Like your name is Mei-ling your Okaasan is Sakura."

"What's hon-i-er-if-ic-a? Does it hurt?"

With his free hand Syaoran massaged his aching temples. Mei-ling's questions were so simple, so child-like, and yet so damn difficult to answer. He thought about calling her an oxymoron, but decided that would only bring about more grief.

"It's a special tittle. Come on now. I'll help you with your coat." Syaoran set the little girl down in the coatroom and began to rummage through the closet. "Koishii, could you look in that little box there, yes that one, for your mittens and scarf."

Syaoran pulled out the tiniest of blue fleece jackets and tiny pink boots as well as his own jacket. He looked down at his daughter and groaned.

Mei-ling smiled impishly up at him, petit mittens covering tiny toes and knitted scarf wrapped tight around her head like a turban. "Otousan in hurry, ne? So Mei-ling-chan thought she would help him out!"

It was hard to surpress a laugh. Had Syaoran been a girl he would have giggled. His first reaction may have been one of impatience, but seeing she was indeed earnest he could not help but to smile. "Mei-ling-chan, I don't know where you get it from...you look really silly, so I'll show you how to do it proper. Would you like me to help you put on your co-"

"And just where do you think you're going?"

"Akizuki-san, where we g.." Syaoran was finding it more and more difficult to keep his temper around it. Nakuru was annoying to end. "I'm taking Mei-ling-chan Christmas shopping. Would you please remove your soaping clothing and muddy boots before stepping any further onto the hardwood floors?"

Nakuru winced and stepped back onto the front entrance linoleum. "Gomen!" She kicked off her puts and slid out of her wet jacket before again prancing away.

"Nakuru, (A/N-am I the only one who always want to write 'Nakura' instead of 'Nakuru'?) can you please hang up and put away your stuff where it belongs?"

Nakuru scowled, natural cheerfulness fading, but complied anyway. Eriol-sama let her do whatever she pleased back home! He would let her drop her garments in a heap by the door if she wanted. Though on second thought, picturing her master's glare, she decided it would be best not to mention this thought to Li-san.

About to run off, an impulsive thought made her suddenly spin back on her heel. "You don't want to go shopping, do you, Mei-ling-chan? Ara, please say I can look after her Li-san!"

Syaoran bit his lip. Later he would be angry at himself, kick himself for even asking this question. Kitto, he loved Mei-ling-chan very much, but it would be easier to shop without her. Demo, he needed to be with her in order to protect her. Could he trust Akizuki-san to take good care of his daughter? Silly as she may be, she was powerful inside and older than himself. Surely she could watch Mei-ling for only a few hours?

"Okay."

"Nani?"

"You can baby-sit Mei-ling-chan." Peering down at the girl in question he did not even need to ask for a reponse. Mei-ling had jumped up and a smile alit her face. "Mei-ling-chan play with Nakuru-chan now!" Smiling sweetly at her father, Mei-ling added, "'tousan, you no mind, ne?" She did look a bit worried. "Mei-ling-chan loves Nakuru-chan. Nakuru-chan very fun to play with. Nakuru-chan teaches 'portant stuffs to Mei-ling-chan."

Syaoran knelt down to his daughter's level, suddenly curious. What does Akizuki-san do with Mei-ling when he's not around? "Tell me, koishii. What did Akizuki-san teach you?"

Nakuru quickly stepped before Syaoran, pushing the little girl behind her. Though she tried to look serious, there was no mistaking the sheepish 'baka kodomo' look in her eyes. "Li-san, Mei-ling's been watching me do some of my schoolwork and such, that's all. You know, kanji and stuff."

Syaoran didn't look convinced, not from what he's heard of Nakuru. "Don't go putting any obscene or graphical images in my daughter's mind, Akizuki-san. I know you mean well, but my musume is very impressionable and will not see the veracity behind your 'games'.

"Sir-"

"Do you understand me?"

"Hai."

"Perfect." Syaoran slid on his jacket and opened the front door. "Musume, be good. Take care of Mei-ling-chan for me. Ittekimasu." The slid softly shut behind him. He did not hear the two girls chorus "itterashai!" from inside the house, but it did not matter, because he was lost in his own thoughts.

The new-fallen snow chilled the air making him thankful to see that Sakura had not taken the car. Of course that meant the car would need to be cleaned off first and this old thing would take hours to warm up... It's Christmastime, Syaoran-kun! He could hear Sakura chidding him already. You have to look on the positive side. The world is not out to get you so you had better relax. At least you don't have to wait for a bus in twenty inches of snow like me. "It can't be more than fifteen," he argued, believing that somehow it was possible he really was carrying on a conversation with his wife and these were not only subconscious thoughts.

It began to snow heavily as Syaoran travelled the long way into downtown Hong Kong. Sakura would later tease him; he must have been crazy. Choosing the largest shopping mall in China three days before Christmas was suicidal. Eeto, he asked for it. This heavy, wet snow would only slow him down further seeing the traffic being so slow. Ara, damn procrastination!

* * *

"This one is my favourite," Nakuru pointed to a tall, brunette, holding the scrapbook at an angle so that Mei-ling could see. "His name is Ketsu-chan. Isn't he sweet?"

The two girls were seated comfortably on the woolly futon in the guestroom. Nakuru had laid it out because apparently neither she nor Mei-ling were accustomed to sitting on the floor. "Our 'touchan's spoil us rotten, ne?" Nakuru explained.

"Demo you don't have a chichi, Nakuru-chan."

"Hai, hai, I do. He's downstairs contemplating the next apocalypse, I'm sure. Sitting in front of your fire, eyes aglow."

Mei-ling giggled. "Kawaii! Demo, when was the first 'poco-lispa-ses?" Her eyes welled up. " Minna-san no kieuseurmasen!"

"Iie!" Nakuru looked aghast and punished herself mentally for putting the idea in the kid's head. "Masaka, you have nothing to worry about. I just mean Hiirigaziwa-sama enjoys pondering issues that are too deep to swim.

"Swim? Why would he want to go swimming?"

Nakuru was baffled, and starting to feel some of Syaoran's frustration. "Forget it. Show me which hottie fills you with lust."

"It's snowing, mata. Big snow. We can make a yukidaruma! Frosty the snowman was..."

Nakuru sprung up, sending hundreds of worn pictures flying to every corner of the room. She ran to the window and pressed her nose upon the glass. Sure enough, fat perfect snowflakes which had drifted lazily the day before now came down in pounding waves.

Nakuru was thinking on the same wave-length as her charge and scooped Mei-ling up her arms. As if afraid the white cascade might stop before they got outside, she bounded down the stairs faster than her usual pace and came to screeching halt outside of the library where she knew she would find her master.

In a more dignified matter, which involved jumping up and down and screaming out in glee, Nakuru asked Eriol if he would like to join them.

"Please, Eriol-ojisan? Mei-ling-chan would like you to play with her."

Mei-ling may have gotten her haughty attitude from her father, but her charming smile certainly was her mother's. It was only Eriol's good common sense that allowed him to resist. "Gomen nasai, Mei-ling-chan. I really want, demo this is a real storm that's blowing up. The weather network is issuing quite a storm warning. Weather that China is not use to seeing. I do not think either of you two should be outside either."

"Ara, onegai, Eriol-ojisan! It will be much fun!"

"Hai, please Eriol-sama? Ara, Suppi-chan! You absolutely must come with us! Eriol is being an old grouch" Eriol snorted "but I know you will play with us!"

"It's cold outside," stated the small blue guardian. "And wet. I prefer to stay inside her where it's warm, thank you."

"Fine, Mei-ling-chan and I will go alone," Nakuru cried shrilly and carried the child away.

"Nakuru-chan! I do not want you to go out! It will be dark soon!"

"I only wanted to bury Eriol-sama in snow anyway," she told Mei-ling. She bundled the girl up in the same garments that the girl's father had failed at an hour previous, then led her outside.

Dusk was rapidly falling as the world became white. The harsh wind ripped through their hair, spraying cold chunks of ice into their faces. The amount of snow that was falling was incredible- Nakuru had to carry Mei-ling through the snow or have her swamped. The sticky snow was up to the little girl's shoulders.

Through all of this the two girls bravely traipsed on, not caring at all for cold weather or slow movement. They were just happy to be outside and alive at such a wonderful time, for if you could see through the sleet it really was a beautiful landscape with the pure white snow backdropped against the darkening sky and even darker surrounding trees.

Mei-ling felt very cozy being held in Nakuru's arms. There was something very special about Nakuru, a chi that Mei-ling could feel. It was the same sort of energy that radiated from Yue. Though Yue was cold and distant unlike Nakuru, and Nakuru was swearing and ungraceful unlike Yue, she always felt so safe and loved in both their embraces. It was something different from her parents. It made her feel special, almost. As if she were with someone not quite real.

Cereberos made her feel in a similar way, but Mei-ling had never questioned him. Cerberos had always lived with the family forever and everyone took him for granted. His very being was quite natural to the very young girl, yet she could never seem to puzzle out these other two...Two what? What were they? Her mother and father would never answer any questions about them, ignored her inquires. Her parents were very sneaky people she thought.

"I'm going to set you down now, okey, Mei-ling-chan?" Nakuru whispered huskily into her ear. "One, two, three!" Mei-ling screamed as she flew through the air, but she was laughing by the time she landed. Nakuru had tossed her, as gently as possible for herself, into a large pile of soft snow.

"Mata! Mata! Again, Nakuru-chan!"

"Iie! Let's build a snowman, ne?" Nakuru was already down on her hands and knees, wet quickly soaking through her flimsy skirt.

"You're gonna get all wet," announced the child who proudly demonstrated the uses of her snowpants by rolling around the snow.

Nakuru shrugged, what would a little snow do to her? "Hey, has anyone ever showed you how to make a snow angel, Mei-ling-chan?"

"Hoe?? Nani desu ka?" The words were quickly out of her mouth before Mei-ling could realise she didn't understand them. She could not understand what caused Nakuru to laugh so hard.

"So much like your mother," the older girl mused and lay on her back. She would have a very wet bottom later. "Do like me, Mei-ling-chan. Hai, now hold your arms out like so and spread them back and forth, your legs too. That's right. Keep doing that." Nakuru jumped up, ruining her angel in the process.

Nakuru held out a gloved hand to the child. "I'll pull you up so your work does not get screwed up. Trust me, I'll get you up so don't push on the snow."

Mei-ling grasped the hand that was extended to her and felt herself being swiftly lifted and pulled away. Nakuru-chan sure is a lot stronger than she looks!

"There now have a look." To a three-year-old girl, a first snow angel is very important. It may have looked silly to an older, more experienced child who had seen many winters, but in the warm climates of China, this perfect angel was a sight to behold.

"Wau...Nani..." Mei-ling peered closely at the depressed figure which was beginning to quickly be refilled with new snow. "Don't you think, Nakuru-chan, that the 'no angel look a lot like Yue-chan?"

"Huh? Masaka! Not at all! Yue-san is not that beautiful. Now, come on. What about that snowman? I'm sure it will be a more like resemblance to Yue-san." The two girls cracked up and started rolling the large balls necessary for their 'yukidaruma'.

Mei-ling was able to roll a fair sized ball for her age, but it was up to Nakuru to place the balls on top of each other. She was afraid a boulder of snow would crush the child if it happened to fall. They had a nice looking yukidaruma in the end, figuratively at least. Mei-ling who had been watching many reruns of Frosty the Snowman knew that of course their guy would need a face. "We need a corn pipe and a button and coal," she told her sitter.

"Corn?" Nakuru puzzled over it for a while, thinking perhaps she only did not recognise the Japanese word. She went over the lyrics to the song and began to laugh when she realised what Mei-ling meant. "Ara, it's corncob pipe, Mei-ling-chan! Daijoubu, I used to think it sounded a lot like corn too. Eeto, I don't know if we can get any of those things, would some rocks do?"

"Perhaps these would help?" offered a dry voice behind the two.

The young man's naturally sly approach managed to startle even the sharp-sensed creature who jumped two feet into the air at his voice. "You could try making some noise!" she lectured, but the man only grinned.

White snow fell on Eriol's cobalt hair and was quite in place in his loose white shirt and starch black pants. He looked quite handsome to the little girl and for once of few times his smile was entirely genuine, not a hint of mocking in it. In slightly shaking hands he grasped a plastic bag filled with the necessary materials for their snowman.

"Arigato, Eriol-ojisan! Will you play with us, ima?"

"Doitashimaste, hai. I will be happy to play with you but we must go in soon. Your Otousan is very likely and very capable of killing us if you can pneumonia."

Mei-ling giggled at the picture. It was hard to think of her parents hurting anyone, except for that monster...The monster was very, very evil though. (A/N- It's amazing how black and white kids see the world)

"It's not funny, Mei-ling-chan! If Nakuru-chan and I were dead who would there be to play with you? Who would be here to do this!" Eriol swung her up by the ankles, making sure that she was giggling and not crying, and throwing her into the nearest snowbank.

It wasn't that Eriol did not notice his "niece" forming the well-rounded small ball of snow, or the arching of her back, it's just that he thought it would only be fair to let her have the first hit. Mei-ling giggled like mad as the ball exploded on his thin shirt with a PLOP! "Anata!" He feigned a glare towards, but she didn't notice because she was collapsed on the snow mound in a fit of giggles.

"It's quite amazing," Eriol spoke archly to Nakuru beside him. "That small children can get amusement out of one simple snowball."

"Quite right!" The 'girl' agreed and produced a well-hidden ball from, well, somewhere. Within seconds of her ball being thrown, a full-fledged snowfight was in process.

"Ara, kanarazushimo!" Mei-ling wailed, hands over her face and ducking for cover. "Why is minna-san picking on Mei-ling-chaaaaaan!"

"Iie, Mei-ling-chan! We need to stick together in order to protect ourselves from you!" Eriol called out. "See, you've gotten us all soaked." Indeed, Eriol's shirt was matted against his body and his hair was slick.

"We have to go inside now, Mei-ling-chan," Eriol walked over to her, his T held up for truce. By now it was pitch black outside and the weather was very chilly. Snow was still falling down by the bushels, it showed no signs of stopping. "It's becoming to dangerous to play out here, you could get hurt."

Mei-ling gave a glance around her, she had been too absorbed in the game to notice how eerily quiet it had become. The darkness on the new snow was no longer romantic, but rather chilling. It did not give Mei-ling a good feeling. She no longer felt safe, even though her friends were close by.

"Nani!!?? We are just getting started!" Nakuru flung herself dramatically at her creator, but he only shook his head. "Aw, aren't you having fun, Eriol-sama?"

"We can have fun indoors. We need to get out of this now. Remember Ruby Moon. You are responsible for Mei-ling-chan."

Nakuru's ruby eyes flashed at the warning tone in his voice, and then they went serious. All laughter gone from her voice, she told Mei-ling that perhaps it would be best if they played indoors. "We can play in the snow tomorrow, ne Mei-ling-chan?"

"Hai, hai." Mei-ling was quick to agree because even at her young age she could recognise the sombreity in the two's voices. Where they were was not the place to be at the moment. She allowed Nakuru to carry her through the deep snow back into their warm, cozy home where they fully expected to find a yummy dinner waiting by a blazing fire.

"Li-san? Sakura-chan?" Eriol flicked on the lights, lighting the whole house up. "Are you guys home yet?"

"No!!! We are still out!!!" Mei-ling tried to imitate her mother's voice, making fun of Eriol, who promptly turned around to glare at her. "Not funny, Mei-ling-chan."

"The car isn't here so I guess your Otousan is still out shopping. It's okay, Mei-ling-chan. It's only six o'clock. I'm sure it's taking him a very a long time to get his shopping down in the crowds."

"Demo what about Okaasan? Where is my Okaasan?"

"She'll be home soon. She's just working late today." Eriol was as confident as he sounded. Something was making him feel uneasy. Maybe it was the wind howling outside, or the icy sleet clinging to the roads, or simply the fact that Sakura should have been home hours ago.

"Eeto, Mei-ling-chan, how about some supper?" Eriol began to poke through the cupboards and pantry, searching for something easy to make. "Your parents must have something here. I'm sure your Okaasan doesn't cook every night," Eriol commented remembering Sakura's past attempts at nigirimimeshi.

"Iie, Otousan cooks us dinner," Mei-ling said proudly, because her father was a very good cook, making traditional Chinese dinners for the family several times each week.

"Masaka!" chortled Eriol. "That is surprising. There really is so much we don't know about others, ne Mei-ling?"

"Hai."

"I can cook us something!" Nakuru volunteered. "Remember all the yummy food I made when I was going to high school in Japan? Touya-kun always said how 'oishii' my food was, the best he ever tasted."

Spinel Sun heard this last comment and gagged. "You still hung up on that guy? I'm not sure of his running of to the washroom and screaming 'tetsuda' was really a compliment."

"Ara, don't be silly, Suppi-chan. Touya-kun just wanted me to save him some more. Now what should I make? Ara, Pittsua!" A grin alight her face and she rushed into the kitchen. "A home-made Pittsua!"

"Hmm, and I was looking so forward to having good traditional Chinese meals during our stay here."

"But we have eggnog (A/N- Yuck!) to go with it," Nakuru said sweetly, opening the fridge. "That's not traditional Chinese. Neither are sugar cookies, iie Mei-ling, which are for only after supper."

"Eriol-ojisan play game with Mei-ling-chan ima," ordered the little girl who had remained fairly silent during a good part of the conversation. Eriol liked to contemplate she was deciding in her little, twisted mind which game would torture them the most- and if that was successful- she found it.

"Iie, Mei-ling-chan. I'm tired now. How about I play with you after supper. Remember we just got in yesterday and I'm still jet-legged. Why don't you ask Nakuru-chan? I'm sure she will be happy to play with you, because we all know Nakuru-chan, she never loses her genkiness."

"Issho! Both play with Mei-ling-chan!" Mei-ling's dark almond glittered maliciously and Eriol could only dread what was coming up next. "You gotta play with Mei-ling-chan or Mei-ling-chan will tell her 'kaachan!" The girl sniffled; truly looking hurt that her older friends did not want to play with her anymore.

"Alright. What do you want to play?"

Mei-ling grinned. "Monopoly."

* * *

"Shimatta!" Syaoran plunked another coin into the slot and heard the familiar buzz. -"We're sorry but at the moment all lines remain closed due to inclement weather. We are working hard to have the lines repaired so we can serve you better. We appreciate your patience. CLICK! The coin rolled down into the return slot and the young man slammed the receiver down.

Syaoran was still in the crowded mall, five minutes before closing. He had taken his time shopping in hopes that the snow might stop before he left, but he had no such look. A mere glance to the roof told him everything that he needed to know.

The mall was bustling with last-minute shoppers and impatient children hoping to catch a glance of their red-robed hero. Frankly, Syaoran's nerves were wearing a little thin. He just didn't have the patience to deal with this sort of thing all day long. Also...he was a little worried about Mei-ling back home. He was sure that she was fine, with Akizuki-san and Hiirigazawa-san there to protect her, but well, it would just make him feel better if only he could reach them.

A small ray of hope followed him as he pulled out his cell phone that Sakura had given him for his birthday, and it grew stronger as the familiar ring was heard. "One ring, two, three, four, pick up dammit!"

"Moshi moshi?" The line cackled and hissed in his ear, but Syaoran was able to recognise Spinel Sun's starched voice. "Moshi? Dare desu ka?"

"Spinel, it's me. Lis-

"Li-san, where are you? What's taking so long? We've been waited to hear from you. Mei-ling-chan is really worried."

"Worried?" Syaoran felt his heart lurch, why did it feel like something just wasn't right? "Spinel, is Sakura-chan home yet?"

"Iie, we haven't heard at all from her, but I guess you know that the lines are dead, ne?"

"Honto? Sakura-chan shoul-"

"Eeto, we know. I think you should come home now. Join in our little game of Monopoly."

Syaoran had to grin. Didn't that sound wonderful? A nice family board game with a three-year-old girl, a reincarnated mage, a cat-creature and a way hyper IT butterfly lady. "Alright. Tell Mei-ling I'm leaving right now and I'll be home soon."

"Sure thing. Ja!"

Syaoran put the phone away, feeling much better now that he had a chance to connect back with the other world, back home where is was safe and know he knew others were safe. Except... Except for his wife. "Where are you Sakura-chan?" Oh, sure Sakura was a grown woman, she could take care of herself, but Syaoran always had taken it upon himself to insure her safety. And what with all the goings on lately, well, he couldn't ne too sure.

The intercom beeped and the noisy hall took little notice of the urgent voice speak. "Attention all shoppers, attention all shoppers. We have received official notice of a blizzard warning. With five feet of snow and more coming, ferocious winds and hail, we have been forced to declare a state of emergency. Deeming the outside to be unsafe, nobody is at the moment allowed to leave the mall. All doors have been locked and we are too stay indoors until the storm lets up, however long that may be. We thank you for your co-"

A wailing hiss erupted from the intercom, filling the ears of each and every customer and then was silenced- by an ominous, consuming darkness.

* * *

"Jingle bell, jingle bell, jingle bell rock, jingles are swinging and...." Sakura cheerfully sung along with the street music as she made her way down the night-darkened street. "That's the jingle bell rock!" She returned smiles to all those her throw her bah humbug scowls as she made her way along. Maybe others couldn't appreciate the Yuletide in this cold eve, but nothing could dampen Sakura's spirits.

A plastic bag bumped against Sakura's leg with every step she took, it contained a precious treasure she had found hidden in her very own store. It would be a special Christmas present for somebody.

Sakura could sing because she was so very happy to be out of that nut house they called a store. At least there were no fires today. She had not expected to be working eight hours straight that day, being therefore a little more than pissed off at somebody. She wasn't quite sure who to get made at, considering it was her store but still, there had to be someone. Forget about. It's Christmas. Grudges are for those scrooges who can't appreciate your singing, the old Sakura whispered. "Perhaps I have not changed so much after all."

It was a very cold evening and even colder with the snow pressed up against her thighs, and all the girl wanted was to get home. I don't know if I'll be taking Mei-ling anywhere tomorrow if this keeps up! My poor car just wouldn't take it! She was feeling rather guilty about leaving Mei-ling home all day and swore Mei-ling would see Santa tomorrow.

Sakura amused herself on the long walk to the bus stop by imagining how cute Mei-ling would look on Santa's knee. Of course, she would have to send copies of the photo to everyone. Her Otousan, and she was sure sofusan would like to see Mei-ling and then Tomoyo-chan of course and Rika, Naoko, Chiharu and even Mizuki-sensei had been asking to see a picture of Mei-ling. She would need to make a copy for Eriol, but was it wrong to assume he might want one? Syaoran's family, Li Yelan and them would want to see their grand-daughter as well. The very last copy would be framed for them.

"I wonder how Yamazaki-kun and Chiharu-chan are getting along?" Sakura mused. The young couple had announced their engagement the a few weeks prior and Sakura was expecting them to have children any day now. She did so want to go to their wedding, seeing as they were dear friends if hers, but it would be much too difficult, leaving Mei-ling and he job, besides she did not have the money. She would have to send them a nice gift and wish them the best...

Sakura caught herself and laughed outloud. "What am I thinking?" Wasn't it only yesterday they were performing Sleeping Beauty together? Could it be so long since those days that Chiharu-chan was collecting teddy bears? Hadn't it been recently that they built sandcastles on the beach together? Or they were terrified of mere ghosts? Actually, Sakura was still afraid of ghosts, but she was sure Chiharu-chan had outgrown that by now.

Sakura felt like her sandcastles were being washed away, her kites whipping freely in the sky, yet Sakura knew she had to be strong, she put on a brave face. See...we'll rebuild our castles up in the sky instead. That was something worth smiling about.

It didn't seem like so long before Sakura reached the bus shelter, a welcome relief from the harsh winds. Though cold seemed to be inevitable, the wooden bench was dry and provided her skirt with the chance to dry.

Time seemed slow as Sakura waited there in that lonely bus stop. It gave her much chance to think and dredge up old memories, disturbing thoughts. She remembered the time she and Syaoran had been trapped in the elevator, the fire that they made. More so for light, but it also kept them warm. So warm... Sakura desperately wanted to create, to bring power into being. A force that was installed in her, a drive. Of course, it was Syaoran's magic that did that. "I can't do that sort of magic...or can I? What exactly am I capable of?"

Don't be silly! Sakura told herself that she wasn't actually considering using magic in public. "Did Clow-san ever use magic in front of other people?" Most likely he did, if Eriol-san was any example to go by. It would be so nice to talk to Clow-san, to really have the opportunity to ask some questions. There really were so many things Sakura still wanted to know, important things that no one else but he would be able to tell her. Much was beginning to worry her now that she was no longer a child. Exactly what did a life of magic ask of her? Was she ultimately immortal? What would she do if she grew weary, like Clow-san, and had to leave her beloved guardians? She couldn't bear to hurt them again the way Clow did, but when others passed on...

Sakura's heart almost shattered with new realisation. Truly all her loved ones would some day leave and she would be all alone, save for Yue and Cereberos. How did Clow-san deal with all the loneliness? All the heartbreak?

Sakura was surrounded by love, happiness and even other powerful magic welders, but still... she felt so alone. She was the only Card Mistress. No one else could truly help, tell her what to do. Since she wasn't little anymore she wasn't allowed to screw up.

"You'll be waiting there a long time, dearie. You might as well head inside and have a mocha where you can get your dear little heart warmed."

Sakura looked up in surprise. She didn't see anyone enter the small box of a stop. Sure enough though, a mottled brown face peered out from behind several layers of scarves and the like.

"Obaasan," Sakura addressed the woman respectively. Sakura's Chinese was poor, she could only hoped that the woman would understand.

"I'm not that old, dearie." The woman cackled and stepped so close to Sakura that the poor girl could smell her musty residue.

"Sumimasen. Oi, whatever do you mean?"

"Why, have you not heard? The bus won't come no more tonight. The roads aren't safe, let alone possible, for traveling."

"Ara, how am I supposed to get home?!!" Sakura knew she was wailing, but couldn't help herself. "I live way out in the country!"

"It's alright, dearie. You'll just have to wait it out," the kind woman tried to comfort Sakura.

"But my daughter. She'll worry." It's alright, Sakura. Calm down. Syaoran-kun is with Mei-ling-chan, as well as Eriol-kun. She doesn't need you by her side every minute, just like Syaoran told you. But...I want to be a good mother.

"Hai. Arigato, obasaan. I really appreciate the info, otherwise I might've waited here all night!" Sakura laughed at herself, realising just how stupid she sounded. Was she really dense enough to wait for the bus forever? Like a puppy waiting eternally for it's master to return, or rather, like Yue waiting faithfully for Clow-san, to the ends of time? "Merriu Kurismas, obaasan."

* * *

Mei-ling was three years old, they were playing original Monopoly (10 & up). Mei-ling could not count, yet she was the richest of them all. She was kicking their asses.

"Merry Christmas," the little girl grinned as Nakuru landed on her Boardwalk for the sixth time. She held one chubby little hand. It's all 'bout the spirit of giving. Mommy told me."

Nakuru reached into her dwindling money pile to produce the appropriate change. She placed it in Mei-ling's waiting hand with a dramatic scowl. "Bah humbug!"

Mei-ling clapped gleefully and rolled the die. "Park Place! Houses! Ne..Eriol-ojisama, why do you want to put houses in a park?"

"You don't," Eriol added quickly with his trademark manipulative grin. "It's a very, very bad idea."

* * *

Syaoran was bored. There was no doubt about that. He had been sitting in this old donut shopped for over two hours. It smelt revolting like cigarette smoke.

He thought he would be getting strange looks by now, but it seemed he wasn't the only one moping about. After a day's work in the mad rush, the tired shoppers did not really have any place to go except collapse against the walls, clutching at their shopping bags protectively. Children screamed and ran loose, jumping over adult legs, not caring who they disturbed.

The power was still off.

"Let's play 'hide and go seek', Hiroki-chan!" a childish voice called out. Let's not, Syaoran thought glumly. Lonely as he was, he was glad he did not bring Mei-ling here with him. She would have been so very unhappy here. She does not like to be confined.

"Just like my Mei-ling, my sweet cousin." Ara, how he missed her! He did not blame Sakura, but... if only Sakura had not tempted Mei-ling. If only his Sakura had not changed. Oh, if he ever found that bastard who had stole Sakura's innocence he would rip out his empty soul to search for it. For whoever took Sakura managed to capture Mei-ling in the process.

She had been finally been happy, back in China. Oh, those were such miserable times. They had been so, so young. They had lost so much...suffered so much....and learned so much. And now Mei-ling was forever gone. Syaoran had put all his hopes in little Mei-lig, that perhaps she may be Li Mei-ling reincarnate, but it appeared she was turning more into her mother every day. Syaoran was going to have to live without his cousin.

An annoying pulsing sensation shook Syaoran out of painful memories. He found his cell phone in his pocket- appearently it was still working through all of this mess.

"Moshi moshi?"

"Li-san! Li-san! Oh, God! Ara, kami! Gomen nasai! I am so, so sorry! Oh, God! you have-"

"Akizuki-san," Syaoran snapped. "What is it? Calm down." He pushed his fears down, but Nakuru refused to hide them.

" She's gone! Li-san, she's gone! We sent her to bed hours ago and when I went to check on her she was just gone! We searched everywhere but ara, the window was broken. Li-san, there was so much blood!"

Syaoran felt the blood drain from his face and he almost slipped out of his chair. He could hear somebody, probably Nakuru, retching through the phone's static.

"Mei-ling-chan!!!???!!!"

To Be Continued...

*********************************************************** *************************************************************************** ********

Wow, I 'm finally done! That took me a whole week to write minna! Very long, ne? I bet you weren't expecting a long chapter from me. Well, thankies to everyone who read. Please leave me a review and tell me what you think. I'll try to get the next part asap...but today's X-mas so it probably won't be today. Have a merry Christmas, minna-san! For those who don't celebrate Christmas, I hope you still have a wonderful day, whatever you may celebrate.