Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ Clow Card Central ❯ The Trouble with Syaoran ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: All characters belong to Nelvana/CLAMP.

Note: I couldn't help myself. The Cards made me do it, really.
The Cards refer to Syaoran as "the Li" to show they are not close to him. Yes, there is more than one Li around, but Meiling doesn't annoy them as much, so they would call her by her personal name. So no, I'm not still using dub names, I'm just making a point. The Cards calling him Syaoran would imply they were close or that they liked him…which they aren't, and they don't. Hence this chapter's title.
This series is set after two previous ones, "Clow Child" and "Syaoran's Quest," and will not make sense unless you read them first. So to find out what Syaoran's been through, how Sakura & Meiling became friends, where Tomoyo went, and who the HECK Akira is, go back and read them, please!

~...~ are thoughts.

Clow Card Central 1: The Trouble with Syaoran


Sweet knew she was in trouble. It had been her turn to do the dishes, and she'd forgotten. Watery had ended up doing them. Not that it wasn't her specialty, anyway, but Watery hated doing chores, and often let people know so with her mercurial attitude. As if that wasn't bad enough, Watery was one of Power's closest friends. That meant that whatever punishment Sweet got would probably be Watery's idea.

Still, it was her fault. This wasn't the first time she'd forgotten to do her chores. She could only hope that the judge was in a good mood today.

Sweet took a deep breath and walked into the backyard. Power was sitting in one of the swings, looking happy, as usual. Watery was on the next swing, looking happy one second and angry the next. The final swing was occupied by Firey, another close friend of Power's. Between two Elementals, Sweet knew that her punishment would be severe.

Firey was the appointed Judge that day. "You are charged with not doing your chores. How do you plead, Sweet?"

Sweet lowered her head sadly.

"Very well. Should she be forgiven, Watery?"

Watery seemed grumpy about the entire process, but she grunted and went back into the house.

"Do you second the motion, Power?"

Power nodded.

Firey turned back to Sweet. "Raise your head, Sister Sweet. You are forgiven. But do not let this happen again."

Sweet could hardly believe her ears. It was a rare thing to be let off so easily in the Clow Court. There must have been some sort of mistake, but she wasn't going to question the decision. She quickly ran off.

"You know she'll just forget again," Firey said.

Power shrugged. ~She is young, Sister. Sweet cannot help that. Besides, this is Story Day. Sakura would be upset if someone was punished.~

"I guess. Hey, it's almost 4:30! C'mon!" Firey grabbed Power and flew up to Sakura's room. As they entered through the window, the rest of the Cards came pouring in through the door.

Story Day was something Sakura had invented to keep herself and the Cards busy for at least an hour. Every Friday afternoon, she would read them all a story, or just make one up. It didn't matter to the Cards, they just enjoyed spending time with her. Occasionally, Sakura would allow Firey or one of the other talking Cards to tell a story. Of course, she would have to be careful, as Firey's tales of blood and gore weren't appreciated by all the Cards.

At 4:25 PM, Shot walked into the crowded room. Everyone instantly fell silent. Shot was a very important Card on Story Day. She would sit on the roof, waiting for Sakura to come home from school. As soon as she saw Sakura approaching, Shot would watch carefully to see what kind of mood she was in. If Sakura happened to be upset or even the slightest bit sad, Story Day was promptly canceled without question.

Shot made her way to the center of the room. "STORY DAY," she said in her booming voice, "IS NOW CANCELED."

There were disappointed groans all over.

"But why?" Little asked, tears in her tiny eyes. She especially looked forward to Story Day, because she was allowed to sit on Sakura's shoulder.

Shot looked mournful. "SAKURA IS SAD TODAY."

There were several horrified gasps.

"Who would make Sakura sad?" the boy Twin asked.

"Why sad would they make her?" the girl Twin chimed in.

"IT WAS THE LI...AGAIN," Shot reported.

There were more groans, but the Cards slowly began to leave the room.

"I'm really starting to hate that guy," Firey muttered. "Seems like every other week, he screws up Story Day!"

Power patted her shoulder. ~Human relationships can be very complex.~

"They shouldn't be. If he kept her happy, this would never happen." Firey sighed. "Oh, well. Do your stuff, Sis."

~I'll take care of everything,~ Power promised with a nod.

At 4:32 PM, Sakura entered the house and went straight to her room. She didn't even notice Power standing by her door. She flopped across her bed and muttered something about Syaoran.

Power stepped into the room and closed the door behind her. The fate of future Story Days now rested on her capable shoulders. She was the only Card that could cheer Sakura up.

* * * * *

Sakura & Syaoran had just had one of their biggest fights to date. It started when Syaoran asked her to go out with him after school. Sakura had declined, saying she had other plans. Since Meiling & Akira were already going to a movie, Syaoran knew it wasn't with them. So who did she have plans with? That was precisely what he wanted to know.

Sakura eventually had to tell him about Story Day. He wasn't happy. Syaoran was very uncomfortable with the way Sakura had been treating the Clow Cards. He saw them as special powers, not living beings with feelings. He was especially uncomfortable about Power. Sakura had once let it slip that Power had certain feelings for her, and that fact had never been far from Syaoran's mind.

Syaoran asked her more insistently to go with him. Sakura refused, saying that she'd promised the Cards a special story today. Syaoran had lost it then.

"Sakura, they're not people! They're Clow Cards! Firey, Shot, Watery, all of them! They're not alive, they don't have emotions, and they can't fall in love with you!"

Sakura had warned him then to be careful what he said about her friends.

"They're not your friends!" he'd cried. "They're things! Especially Power!"

Though Sakura hadn't used any of her magical powers, the slap to Syaoran's face stung more than any magical attack could have. He stumbled back a few steps, his eyes widening in surprise. Sakura had never hit him before.

"They're real!" she'd screamed. "They're my friends, and they obviously care about me a lot more than you do!"

Sakura couldn't remember what had happened after that. She didn't want to, either. All she knew was that she needed to cry for a while. She felt somewhat more secure in her bedroom. But something was missing.

Then Power's gentle, childlike hands came to rest on her forehead.

Sakura slowly looked up, blinking away tears. "He's such a jerk sometimes."

Power nodded and stroked Sakura's hair reassuringly.

Sakura sniffled and rested her head in Power's lap. "I don't understand. Why can't he see you guys the way I do? You're real, every last one of you. You're alive, and you're my friends." She reached up and pressed a hand to Power's heart. "I know you're real. I can feel your heart beating. Why won't Syaoran accept that?"

Power closed her eyes and acted as if she couldn't see.

"Yeah, you're right. I guess he is blind."

Power reached over and used her fingers to turn Sakura's frown into a smile. Then she wiggled her elfin ears, something that never failed to make Sakura laugh or at least smile.

Sakura sat up and hugged her tightly. "Sometimes I think you're the only one who cares, Pinky."

Power patted Sakura's back and gave her a friendly kiss on the cheek.

Sakura pulled back for a moment. "I'm really sorry about Story Day."

Power shook her head and pointed at Sakura insistently.

"Pinky, I'm not more important. I did promise you guys. Go tell everyone Story Day is back on."

Power tilted her head questioningly.

"Yes, I'm sure. You made me all better. Now go tell them."

Power quickly ran to gather the Cards. Story Day was saved, and she would be the heroine for another week.

* * * * *

As soon as Story Day was over, Power ventured up to the roof. There she found Firey and Shot staring at the sun. ~Am I disturbing you, Sisters?~ she asked.

Shot glanced over at her. "HEY, POWER. WE WERE JUST WATCHING THE SUNSET."

Power sat down between them. ~I think Sakura is still sad. I could tell when she read the story today.~

"You know how it is with the Li," Firey muttered. "She's always mad at him for at least one day. He must've done something really stupid this time."

"MAYBE IT WAS A SPECIAL DAY HE FORGOT?"

~I don't think so. The day they first got together was two weeks ago, and Sakura's birthday isn't for another three months. Speaking of which...~

"I knew you wanted something." Firey sat up. "Okay, I'll meet you in the basement in five minutes."

Power beamed and hugged her. ~Thank you, Sister!~

"Yeah, yeah. Go on."

Power hurried back into the house.

"YOU STILL TEACHING HER HOW TO TALK?" Shot asked.

"Yeah," Firey replied. "She's got her heart set on learning before Sakura's birthday. She won't say why, though."

"IT'S WEIRD. SHE CAN READ AND SHARE HER THOUGHTS WITH US, BUT SHE CAN'T TALK."

"I know. But it's the least I can do. She's got this crazy idea that Sakura would like her more if she could talk back to her."

Shot looked thoughtful. "BUT SAKURA LIKES THE LI."

Firey rolled her eyes. "Don't you think I've tried to tell her that? But she just gets this really hopeful look in her eyes whenever she gets a word right, and I can't just destroy her dreams, Shot. Power means the world to me, and I could never hurt her like that."

Shot glanced up at the setting sun. "GONNA HAVE TO BE A REALLY GOOD PRESENT TO MAKE SAKURA LIKE HER BETTER THAN THE LI."

Firey nodded. "That's what I was thinking. I wonder what she's up to...?"

* * * * *

Akira frowned. "Syaoran, we've talked about this before. You know you can't say anything bad about the Cards in front of Sakura."

Syaoran sighed. "Akira, she HIT me! Sakura has never hit me!"

"Then you should realize what the Cards mean to her. They're her friends, Syaoran. She goes home to them and her family every night. No, they're a part of her family now. You can't just act as if they're playing cards."

"What about Power? She's in love with Sakura!"

Akira hesitated. "Power is an extreme case. Of all the Cards, she is closest to Sakura. She's probably the one Sakura complains to when you upset her."

Syaoran thought about that. "So they're like...best friends or something?"

Akira gave him a blank look. "Syaoran, the bond between two females can be unusually strong. Did you happen to say anything bad about Power today?"

Syaoran turned red. "Well...yeah. I called her a thing."

Akira smiled for the first time. "Then Sakura obviously still loves you."

"How can you say that?"

"Because if she didn't, she would've done a lot worse than just slap you."

* * * * *

"Thanks for listening, guys," Sakura said quietly.

"Anytime!" Little replied, smiling up at her.

"Well, you'd better go. I think I'm gonna need a lot of sleep tonight."

"Okay!" Little patted Dash's back. "Let's leave Sakura alone now."

Dash waved his long tail in parting, then jumped off the bed and zipped out of the room, with Little clinging to his fur as best she could.

Sakura had to smile at the thought of them together. They were an unusual couple, but no one dared to say anything bad about them, as Shadow was quite protective of his small friends.

There was a quiet knock on the bedroom door, and Power stuck her head in, a questioning look on her face.

Sakura grinned. "C'mon in, Pinky. I'm ready for bed now."

Power ventured into the room, closing the door behind her. She turned off the light and climbed into bed, automatically reducing her strength so she wouldn't accidentally injure Sakura.

Sakura didn't say anything, or even move very much. She seemed to be thinking about something...or someone.

Power slowly pressed her hand against Sakura's back, asking the silent question she asked every night.

Sakura stiffened slightly, then shook her head.

Power drew her hand back, and understood. Sakura didn't want to be held that night. Obviously, she was still angry at Syaoran, despite what she said. Still, there were some things she would never refuse.

Sakura was staring at the lamp in the darkness when she felt a small hand gently tweak her nose. No matter how upset she was, that always made her smile. "Love you, too, Pinky," she whispered faintly, her voice cracking.

Power sighed to herself and turned away, failing to keep the tears from spilling down her face. It wasn't right, the way Sakura silently tortured herself over Syaoran. She was such a good person...so why would she spend so much time with someone that only seemed to hurt her so much? Power didn't understand it, and she didn't like it, either. There was nothing she could do, though. If she ever just told Sakura not to see Syaoran...there was no telling what might happen.

So, as she did every night, Power gave into silent, bitter acceptance. Yes, she'd been right. Human relationships were very complex, indeed. Too complex for her to understand, apparently. And perhaps that was what hurt most of all.

Continued in Part 2: A Gift in the Making