Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ Clow Card Central ❯ A Gift in the Making ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: All characters belong to Nelvana/CLAMP.

Note: I know very little about Clow Reed, but I did my best. (Although if you know something that I did wrong here, PLEASE point it out...but only if you know the right way!)

~...~ are thoughts.

Clow Card Central 2: A Gift in the Making


"I'm only going to say this once. Stop thinking about Syaoran or I'll smack you."

Had it been anyone else, Sakura might not have listened. But as she took in the look on the girl's face, Sakura knew she was very serious. Besides, she'd been hit by Meiling before, when they weren't friends. It was nothing she wanted to experience again.

Meiling handed her one of the two ice cream cones she was holding.

"Never thought I'd hear you say that again," Sakura said, smiling.

Meiling shrugged. "Yeah, well, I brought you to the mall to cheer you up. Thinking about him kinda defeats the purpose of the whole trip."

"How did you manage to stop thinking about Syaoran, anyway?" Sakura asked, tentatively licking her strawberry cone.

"Easy. I just thought about Akira instead. And since I'd already gotten used to going places with him, it wasn't really a big adjustment. You tend to forget old loves faster when a new one's staring you in the face."

"So you NEVER think about Syaoran anymore?" Sakura pressed.

"Only when YOU bring him up," Meiling shot back. "Which has been every ten minutes, and don't try to argue, because I've been timing you."

"Sorry. I just wish I understood him better, like..."

"...I do?" Meiling finished for her, taking a big bite out of her cone.

Sakura blinked and looked at her. "Well...yeah."

Meiling swallowed and sighed. "I figured we'd get to the advice column sooner or later. Okay, what do you want to know?"

"Why is he such a..."

"Jerk sometimes? Because he's Syaoran, that's why, and he's a guy. That makes it even worse."

Sakura frowned. "That doesn't help, Meiling."

Meiling rolled her eyes. "Open your eyes, Sakura. Syaoran's had a one-track mind all his life. When he was a kid, he wanted to be the best warrior. When he got older, he wanted to have the strongest magic. When the Clow Cards got loose, he wanted to capture them all. Once that was taken care of, he wanted you to be his one and only. When he died, he wanted to be reunited with his body and you. Now he wants you all to himself, and he's never been big on sharing."

"So he acts the way he does..."

"Because he cares so much. He's just too big a jerk to say it." Meiling finished her cone, wiped her hands, and began eyeing Sakura's cone.

Sakura quickly took a bite, almost laughing at Meiling's disappointed look. "So basically, he's just really jealous?"

"Yup. But it IS a pretty weird situation."

Sakura froze. "What's THAT supposed to mean?"

"Exactly what I said. It's not a normal case. You're the only girl that has Clow Cards in your house."

Sakura frowned. "You think they're just Cards, too, don't you?"

Meiling snorted. "Sakura, wake up! Syaoran's the only one that doesn't get it. I know all about you and your little friends. And I KNEW I wasn't crazy when I saw them at the airport!"

Sakura smiled at the memory. It had been pretty funny, dressing up Power and Shot in her clothes. Syaoran had been less than supportive, and Meiling was shocked. Akira had gotten a good laugh when Sakura told him about it later, though.

* * * * *

"C'mon, Sis. I know you can do this. Just sound it out like I showed you." Firey held the card a little closer.

Power stared at the card, the strain showing clearly on her elfin features.

"At least TRY!" Fiery insisted.

Power worked her mouth in silence, and then attempted the word. "Beee..."

"That's right! Keep going!" Firey encouraged.

Power frowned. "Beeeaaa...?"

Firey shook her head. "Looks what comes after the A."

Power stared for a long moment. "Beeeuuu...?"

"Good!"

"Beeeuuuti...beauty?"

"Tha t's most of it, yes. But there's more."

Power sighed and focused on the card again. "Beauty...full?"

"Now put them together."

"Beautiful?" Power guessed after a long moment.

"You got it!"

Power sighed and lowered her head.

"Hey, what's wrong?" Firey asked.

~I'm too slow. I will never learn in time.~

Firey patted her shoulder. "Reading is hard to learn, Sis. But once you learn, you never forget."

Power looked as if she might cry. ~But I did know once! I know I did! I just...don't know anymore...~

"Well, when did you know?"

~Before Sakura...when we were still inside the Book of Clow, I knew then.~

"So how'd you forget?"

Power shook her head sadly. ~I don't know...~

"I know who could help!"

Firey looked up. "Did you just...?"

Power blinked. ~I didn't say anything, Sister.~

There was a small laugh. "That was me, Firey!"

Firey glanced around, and then noticed a tiny light flying around Power's head. "Little, what are you doing down here?"

The light landed on the table, and Little appeared, smiling. "I wanted to know why you two always came down here at night, so I followed you. But I can help!"

"How?" Firey asked.

"Well, if Power remembers being able to read, all we have to do is go to the past!"

Firey stared at her for a moment, then grinned. "Of course! Return can help us! But...we still have to find a way for her to recall everything when we come back here."

"Time can fix that, I'm sure of it!" Little promised. "One quick trip, and Power will remember everything she forgot!"

~Including how to read?~ Power asked hopefully.

Little nodded. "Especially that!"

* * * * *

"Akira, I don't think this will work."

"Trust me, Syaoran. It will."

Syaoran frowned. "And how do you know that?"

"Because I always had a date when I was alive, that's why."

"But I think girls have changed since you were alive. It's been centuries."

Akira shrugged. "Even if they have, you haven't exactly been coming up with anything. That's why you came to me in the first place."

Syaoran turned bright red. "Thanks for pointing that out."

"Anytime." Akira turned back to the clothing racks. "Now, what size is Sakura?"

Syaoran looked at him helplessly. "How should I know?!"

"You're supposed to know things like that, Syaoran."

"I doubt it. She never gave ME any clothes."

"SHE never screwed up this bad." When there was no reply, Akira smiled. "Now, get out there and find something that says you're sorry."

Syaoran sighed heavily and began to browse through the outfits.

Akira turned back to his task, his hand stopping on a little green outfit. A smile appeared on his face. "I do believe I've done it again."

* * * * *

"SAKURA!"

Both Sakura and Meiling stopped and winced as their eardrums were assaulted by the loud voice.

"What the heck was that?!" Meiling cried, covering her ears.

Sakura sighed. "That would be Shot." She looked up to see a bright light leaving the roof of her house and heading straight for them.

Shot dropped to the ground and ran up to them.

Sakura pressed her finger to Shot's lips before she could speak. "You DO remember that entire day I set aside to teach you how to whisper, don't you?"

Shot nodded.

"Okay. Try that." Sakura removed her finger.

Shot took a deep breath. "I'M GLAD I FOUND YOU. I NEED TO TELL YOU SOMETHING."

Though Meiling was still cringing, Sakura knew this was a vast improvement. Shot's speaking voice was at the level of shouting, so even her whispering sounded like loud talking.

"POWER, FIREY, LITTLE, TIME, AND RETURN HAVE GONE INTO THE PAST. THEY DIDN'T LEAVE A NOTE, SO THEY TOLD ME."

Sakura thought it was the other way around, but didn't say so. "Why'd they go?"

Shot shrugged. "I DIDN'T ASK, AND THEY DIDN'T SAY. OH, AND THE LI CALLED AGAIN. I TOLD HIM TO JUMP OFF A CLIFF."

Sakura shuddered at the thought of Shot on the phone. That alone was punishment enough for Syaoran. "Well, thanks. Anything else?"

Shot frowned. "YEAH...BUT YOU'LL BE MAD."

Sakura stiffened noticeably. "What?"

Shot looked at the ground. "I GOT IN A FIGHT."

"With who?" Sakura asked warily.

Shot poked her toe in the dirt and drew circles. "ARROW."

"Over what?"

"SHE SAID HER AIM WAS BETTER."

Meiling suddenly spoke up. "What did you aim at?"

Shot looked extremely guilty. "TOUYA." Noticing the look on Sakura's face, she quickly added, "I MISSED."

"Did Arrow?" Sakura pressed.

Shot lowered her head again. "NOT EXACTLY..."

* * * * *

Power slowly opened her eyes. ~Where...am I?~

"There you are, my dear. I've been looking for you," a gentle voice said.

She turned to see a tall man standing over her. For reasons that she couldn't explain, she felt an eternal devotion to do whatever he asked...though she knew he would never ask for very much.

He pushed his glasses up on his nose, then brushed his long, black hair behind him. "How are you today, Power?"

~Fine, Master.~

He frowned. "I am not your master, Power. Remember that."

She lowered her head. ~I am sorry...Father...~

"Much better." He kneeled and lifted her chin up. "Can you talk for me?"

"Y-Yes," Power said slowly, blushing.

"Good girl." He patted her head fondly. "How would you like to have another sister? One just for you?"

Her eyes widened with excitement. "Could I really?"

"Of course," he replied. "What kind of Card should she be?"

"An Elemental?" Power asked hopefully.

"I have been meaning to complete the set. Very well."

"Can I watch?"

"Certainly, Power." He scooped her up in one arm.

"Daddy! DADDY!" A tiny light came flying into the room and landed on the man's shoulder.

"What is it, Little?" he asked.

The light dimmed to reveal a tiny girl. "It's terrible! Shot and Arrow are fighting again!"

He patted her head with a finger. "Calm down, dear. Everything will be fine. Power, I hate to ask, but would you mind..."

With a nod, Power jumped to the floor and went to stop the fight. Seconds later, the entire building shook, and there was complete silence. Power soon returned with Arrow and Shot behind her.

The man frowned. "Girls, we've had this conversation before."

"Sorry, Father," Arrow and Shot muttered.

"I know." He reached down and patted their heads. "I'm glad you two get along, but you really must stop being so competitive. I don't think the castle can take much more."

"What about my sister?" Power asked, tugging on his hand.

"I haven't forgotten, dear. I think I'll call her...Firey."

* * * * *

"Nii-chan!!" Sakura shouted as she ran into her older brother's room.

Touya was propped up on the bed, drinking orange juice and watching TV. He seemed to be perfectly fine, save for the large mass of bandages on his leg. He acknowledged her with a nod. "Hey, kaijuu."

Sakura ran over to him and grabbed his arm. "Are you okay?!"

"Yeah, just a sprained ankle. Calm down!"

"But...doesn't it hurt?"

"Nope. Your little pink friend fixed me up before her and some others left." Touya glanced at her. "I think I like her."

"You...do?"

"Yeah. She's not destructive like the rest of them. Real quiet, nice. Kinda reminds me of kaa-san. A little."

Sakura blinked. "Oh. Well...do you need anything?"

Touya smirked. "Only for you to stop annoying me."

Sakura glared at him, then noticed that someone had signed his cast. It read, in big, bold writing, "GET WELL SOON, JERK BOY." She sighed and shook her head. It was time to have another long talk with Shot...and hopefully, it would only be a one-sided conversation.

* * * * *

"And what's this one say?" Firey asked.

"System requirements!" Power chirped.

"I never saw anyone so happy about reading a computer manual, but at least you can talk again."

Power grinned. "Sakura will be so surprised!" Then she frowned. "But she can't know just yet. You won't tell her, will you?"

"Nah." Firey smiled. "I wouldn't ruin your surprise."

Power smiled and hugged her tightly. "Thank you, Sister!"

"Shh! She might hear you!" Firey patted Power's back. "Anyway, you're welcome."

Power nodded, smiled again, and skipped away happily.

"I told you it would work!" Little said, landing on Firey's shoulder.

"Yeah, you did. Thanks, shorty. I owe you one."

"You can repay me now. I want a Gohan doll like Meiling has!"

Firey frowned. "I thought you weren't allowed to watch DBZ?"

Little grinned. "Dash snuck me some tapes. So can I have one?"

"Yeah, I guess. But if Sakura asks where it came from, you're on your own."

"Deal! Let's go to the mall!"

* * * * *

"Do you really think this will work?" Syaoran asked.

"Of course," Akira replied confidently. "Do it."

Syaoran sighed and knocked on the front door.

A few seconds later, the door opened, and the girl Twin stuck her head out.

Syaoran blinked. "Um..."

"Hi! Can I help you?" she asked.

The boy Twin appeared beside her. "Hello! Help you we can?"

Syaoran blinked again. "Oh. Hi. I...uh...is Sakura here?"

"Yes, but she may not want to see you," the girl replied, frowning at him.

"No see you will she!" the boy insisted with a nod.

Syaoran sighed. "I brought her a gift," he said, holding up the white box in his hands.

"Hmm. Can you wait a minute?" The girl disappeared into the house.

"For a minute you must wait!" The boy vanished as well, slamming the door behind him.

Syaoran glanced back at Akira, who shrugged.

Seconds later, the door opened, and the girl Twin came back out. "Sakura will see you. She will wait for you in the backyard."

"See you she will!" the boy agreed, popping up behind her. "In the backyard she will wait!"

"Don't ANY of them talk normally?" Syaoran asked as he walked in.

"Yes," Akira replied with a smile. "But those are the boring ones."

* * * * *

Yamazaki was just about to pick up his favorite band's CD when he spotted a very cute girl in the next row. ~Wow! I've never seen her in here before.~ He took a moment to memorize what he would say, then ran over. "Hi! Need some help?"

The girl looked up and smiled. "No, not really. Thanks, anyway, though."

Yamazaki paused, noticing that she was looking at the DBZ dolls. "They're getting the ones from GT in next week."

The girl blinked. "Uh...GT?"

Yamazaki smiled. "Shopping for a friend, aren't you?"

The girl nodded, the cowboy hat on her head shifting slightly. "I was looking for a Gohan one," she said, twirling a strand of red hair around a finger.

"Hmm. Do you mean Baby Gohan, Saiyan Saga Gohan, Frieza Saga Gohan, or Cell Games Gohan?"

The girl stared at him for a long moment. Suddenly, she jumped and cried, "Baby Gohan!"

Yamazaki grinned. "I didn't know you wanted one THAT bad. Anyway, there's one left right there," he said, pointing at the shelf.

The girl looked where he was pointing and grabbed the doll. "Thanks!"

"You know, there's a rich history behind that doll," Yamazaki said, beginning one of his more pointless (and false) stories. "Did you know that they used to sell them with real Dragonballs sewn into the hats?"

"Really?" the girl asked, her eyes widening.

"Yup. But they had to stop. Know why?"

The girl shook her head.

"Kids kept damaging their houses when Shenlong came out. The lawsuit was HUGE!"

"Wow!" The girl started to say something else, then stopped. "Um...I've got to go. Thanks for your help!" She leaned over and kissed Yamazaki's cheek, then quickly ran off.

Yamazaki watched her go, and goofy smile on his face. "Wow..." he whispered, pressing a hand to his cheek. He was so dazed that he didn't notice how hot his cheek felt, or that the hair near his ear was singed.

"I told you not to talk to him!" a voice in the hat said.

"Sorry, but I haven't seen all the episodes yet!" the girl muttered. "How was I supposed to know there were so many Gohans?!"

"I TOLD you I wanted one like Meiling's!"

"Little, be quiet! Someone will hear you!"

"You're the one going around kissing boys! That last one was lucky he didn't burst into flames!"

"Hey, do you want the stupid doll or not?! Because if you don't get quiet, Gohan here will burst into flames!"

There was a startled gasp from the hat. "You leave poor Gohan alone!"

"I said be quiet! This wig is getting itchy, and I HATE this hat, and-"

"Excuse me...miss?"

"WHAT?!" the girl shouted, spinning around.

The security guard frowned at her. "You ARE going to pay for that doll, aren't you?"

"What doll?" She looked down. "Oh, THIS doll! Sure! Heh heh..."

"Way to go, Fiery," the hat muttered. "Our first time in the mall and you get us arrested."

* * * * *

Syaoran took several deep breaths before he stepped into the backyard. Akira had told him to be calm, above all else. And he was calm, for the most part. Until he finally spotted Sakura, that is.

She was sitting on the swings, just staring at him. There was nothing alarming about that. But for some reason, Syaoran's heart leaped into his throat, and he nearly went into a coughing fit. Sakura had always looked at him with such love in her eyes. There was none of that today, only a blank look that kept him from sensing any emotion she was feeling at the moment.

Syaoran stopped a few steps from the swing, unsure of what to do or say.

Sakura only continued staring at him, never saying a word.

Finally, Syaoran worked up his nerve. "Sakura, I'm-"

"Sorry," she finished for him, not even blinking.

Syaoran blinked. "Yes. I never meant-"

"To hurt me."

Syaoran paused again. "Um...why do you keep-"

"Saying what you're going to say before you say it?" Sakura sighed and closed her eyes. "Because I've heard it all before, Syaoran. You do this every time you upset me, and nothing ever changes. I'm tired of being upset with you."

Syaoran's eyes narrowed. "What are you saying?"

"Either you learn to accept me and my life the way it is, or you find yourself another girlfriend."

"Sakura, it doesn't have to be like that!"

"Yes, it DOES!" Sakura glared at him. "I didn't care when some evil force took over your body, when you died, or when you were stuck in Akira's body. I never stopped accepting you, no matter what form you came in. I adjusted, Syaoran...because I love you, and I always will. Are you telling me that you can't even accept my closest friends?"

Syaoran sighed and shook his head. "You don't-"

"Understand? No, YOU don't understand, Syaoran. This is not a 'special' case. The Clow Cards are real people with real feelings, and they're my friends. Yes, they do have magical abilities, but so do we. They're no different from you and me."

"Sakura, stop saying that!" Syaoran shouted, tightening his grip on the gift box. "They're not people, they're things!"

"THEY'RE MY FRIENDS!" Sakura screamed, tears building up in her eyes. "Why can't you understand?!"

Syaoran growled and grabbed the swing, pulling it forward until his nose was almost touching Sakura's. "Listen to me, Sakura. This is crazy. The Clow Cards are CARDS. They're not people, they can't feel, and they can NOT fall in love!"

Suddenly, there was a bright flash of light, and Syaoran found himself on the ground with a sharp pain in his side. He slowly looked up and gasped.

Power stood in front of Sakura with her arms spread, obviously meaning to protect her. Arrow and Shot hovered above and behind Sakura. Shot's hands were smoking.

"THERE'S JUST ONE THING YOU BETTER ASK YOURSELF BEFORE YOU TRY THAT AGAIN, KID," Shot said in her booming voice. "'DO I FEEL LUCKY?'" She smirked and aimed her finger at him. "WELL...DO YOU...PUNK?"

Syaoran started to get up, but Arrow suddenly drew a bead on him.

"I MISSED," Shot admitted, "BUT SHE WON'T."

Arrow fired, knocking the gift box out of Syaoran's hands. It landed beside him with a thump.

"THAT WAS A WARNING SHOT. THE NEXT ONE WON'T BE."

"Do you see, Syaoran?" Sakura asked, resting her hands on Power's shoulders.

Power stiffened, but slowly lowered her arms.

"They DO have feelings. They attacked you because they were afraid you might hurt me."

"But he has hurt you," Arrow said. "Over and over again. That's why you come home upset."

"AND WE MISS STORY DAY BECAUSE OF IT," Shot muttered, glaring at Syaoran.

Sakura smiled slightly. "They're my friends, Syaoran. They love me just as much as you do, if not more. If you can't accept them, then you can't have me. As you can see, they're not too fond of you, but they accept that you're a part of my life. Why can't you do the same for them?"

Syaoran didn't say anything at first. Then: "So...they're people?"

"Yes."

"And...they have feelings, morals, and manners?"

"Yes."

"Well...can one of them help me up?"

Power hesitantly came forward and offered her hand.

Syaoran took it and pulled himself up, then picked up the gift box.

"What's that?" Sakura asked.

"It is...well...was a gift," he said, noticing the singed edges.

"For me?" Sakura asked.

"Well...not quite. It's actually...for her," he said, holding the box out to Power.

Power blinked in surprise, then pointed to herself questioningly.

"Yes, you," Syaoran insisted, almost smiling. The look on her face was almost comical.

Power slowly took the box and opened it. Her eyes widened again.

Sakura came up and peered into the box. "Hey, a new battle outfit!"

"It was Akira's idea," Syaoran admitted quietly.

"But a nice gesture," Sakura said, wrapping her arms around his neck. "I guess I can forgive you."

"You...guess?" he asked slowly.

"Under one condition," she added with a smile. "As you SHOULD know, my birthday's coming up soon."

Syaoran glared at her. "I know."

"Good. Anyway, we're going to have it here...and all the Clow Cards are invited."

Syaoran's face paled. "ALL of them?!"

"Every last one. Meiling and Akira will come, of course...and Wei, if you can drag him out of the house. Plus my family. I think that's everyone."

"So...that's the condition?" Syaoran asked hopefully.

"Nope. You have to get a gift that all the Cards can appreciate. In addition to the very special one you'll be getting for me, of course."

"You're getting hard to please. You know that, don't you?"

Sakura grinned. "Yeah. I'll make it up to you on your birthday. Then we can do the same thing at YOUR house!"

Syaoran frowned. "Uh...let's not..."

* * * * *

Firey cleared her throat loudly. "You guys about done up here yet?"

Akira glanced at his watch. "Well, I guess that's enough for today. I declare this meeting of the Brotherhood of Clow...dismissed."

Shadow, Time, Thunder, and Change all left their seats around the small table and filed out of the attic, greeting their sister with small nods or grunts of acknowledgment.

Firey smirked as Akira approached with Dash riding on his arm. "So what do you guys talk about in those meetings, anyway?"

"Typical guy stuff," Akira replied. "It's just hard to get noticed in a family full of girls, and the male Cards depend on each other for...well...brotherhood. Sometimes talking can do anyone a world of good."

"Yeah, I know what you mean." Firey titled her head a bit. "Thanks for talking to the Li. Things get weird around here when Sakura's upset."

"It was nothing. Syaoran just needed a change of direction."

"Well, from wrong to right is a pretty big change of direction."

Akira smiled. "I suppose. How are the plans for Sakura's birthday coming?"

Firey rolled her eyes. "Terrible. With so many Cards, it's impossible to agree on a gift. You should talk to them, they'll listen to you."

"The males and some of the females will. You need Power. She's the one they all listen to."

"Normally, I'd do that. But...uh...Sis has been a little...distracted lately..."

Akira blinked. "What do you mean?"

"Let's just say she's got an addiction problem."

* * * * *

Sakura was used to having Power walk into her room at bedtime. She wasn't exactly used to having other Cards join her. So she was a little surprised to see Dash zipping in behind Power. Little was probably nestled among the softer fur just behind his ears, Sakura knew.

"Um...guys? What's going on here?"

"Power says it'll be extra cold tonight," Little said, poking her head out from behind Dash's ear. "We've come to keep you warm!"

Sakura smiled. "I appreciate the concern, but I have a blanket."

"But nothing is warmer than the warmth of love and friendship!"

"Little, if you were really up here because of the cold, you would've brought Firey. What's the real reason?"

"Okay, okay. All the good sleeping spots were taken."

"You two know that Pinky's the only one allowed to sleep in here."

"Please?" Little asked. "It's just this one time!"

Dash made sad puppy noises.

Sakura sighed. "Oh, come on! Don't do that!"

Power gave her a pleading look.

"Okay, but only for tonight!" Sakura moved to the center of the bed while the Cards piled in beside her. "Dash, this better not be shedding season for you."

"It's not," Little promised.

"And if either of you snores..."

"We do not!" Little looked offended. "Well, Dash makes this weird clicking noise sometimes, but it's really quiet!"

Sakura sighed again. "Forget it. Let's just go to sleep."

Power turned off the light, and there was silence...for a few minutes.

"...what is THAT?"

"Oh, that's my new Gohan doll! Firey got it for me! Wanna see?"

"Maybe later, Little. Just keep it away from my ear, okay?"

"Okay!"

"AH! The same thing goes for your tail, Dash!"

Minutes later, Sakura finally fell asleep.

"Are you still awake, Power?" Little whispered.

~Yes, Sister. What is it?~

"How come you didn't tell Sakura you can talk?"

~I want it to be a surprise, Little. I will tell her soon enough.~


Continued in Part 3: Surprise for Sakura