Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ Clow Card Central ❯ Surprise for Sakura ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: All characters belong to Nelvana/CLAMP.

Last Note! I may add another set of chapters to the "Clow Child" series, depending on how (or if) I like the new episodes. Or I might start writing now and wing it. Anyway, if I can come up with a decent Eriol plot, it might end up here (which, incidentally, would make Shadow's poem an excellent piece of foreshadowing, but we'll have to wait & see). Maybe. Ideas, suggestions, complaints, and all the like would be appreciated, since I'm looking for a good spot to end the series.

~...~ are thoughts.

Clow Card Central 3: Surprise for Sakura


Sakura was used to waking up to the sound of her alarm clock (a few minutes after it had gone off, anyway). This morning, she woke up to a less welcome sound.

"TIME TO GET UP, BIRTHDAY GIRL."

Sakura winced and kept her eyes closed. "Shot, what time is it?"

There was a slight pause.

"TEN MINUTES AFTER SIX."

"Yes, and it's Saturday. Which means I sleep LATE!"

"NOT TODAY. YOU HAVE TO GET OUT."

"Excuse me?"

Shot pulled the blanket away from Sakura's face. "YOU HAVE TO GET OUT SO WE CAN GET YOUR SURPRISE PARTY READY."

Sakura blinked. "Um...it's no longer a surprise, seeing as how I knew there would be a party, and you just told me."

"I KNOW. BUT SURPRISE PARTIES ARE BETTER THAN NORMAL PARTIES, AND I FIGURED IT WOULD GIVE YOU A BETTER REASON TO LEAVE."

Sakura slowly sat up, rubbing her eyes. "Shot, I'm still tired. Where am I supposed to go?"

"THE LI'S DOWNSTAIRS WAITING ON YOU."

"You woke HIM up, too?!"

"NO, THAT WAS FIREY'S JOB. GRAB A PILLOW AND LET'S GO."

Sakura was wondering how Firey might have awakened Syaoran, but she didn't have to wonder for long. If the smell of burned flannel didn't give it away as she walked into the living room, the scorch marks on Syaoran's shirt did. And then there was Firey herself.

"Just remember that little wake-up call next time you decide to upset Sakura," Firey was saying to Syaoran. "Because if you make ME miss another Story Day, I'm coming to your house to find out why, and I won't be in a good mood."

"SHE'S READY," Shot said.

Firey glanced at them and stepped away from Syaoran, who was wide-eyed and very alert, despite the fact that he'd been half asleep two minutes ago.

"I don't even want to know," Sakura muttered, grabbing Syaoran's hand and dragging him out the door.

Firey closed the door behind them. "We're all set, then. Tell Power to get the Twins. We've got a lot of party favors to duplicate..."

* * * * *

Meiling's eyes scanned her clipboard. "Okay. The only thing left to worry about is the readers for the praise poems. Do we have any?"

"Yes," Akira confirmed. "Shadow, Little, and Power."

"Shadow?" Meiling asked suspiciously.

"Don't worry, it's only an ode to Sakura as a CardCaptor." Akira smiled. "Quite nice, actually."

"Well, I heard some of Little's. That only leave's Power's poem. It's supposed to come from all the Cards, isn't it?"

"Yes. They all contributed to it, so I really don't think we should edit it."

"I guess you're right, Akira." Meiling sighed. "So, is that everything?"

"Not exactly." Akira grinned sheepishly. "We're still waiting on the guest of honor."

"What? Didn't you call Syaoran's house?"

"Yes. Wei said they'd already left."

Meiling frowned. "So where are they?"

"Shot's on lookout, but I haven't heard anything from the roof. I guess we'll just have to wait."

* * * * *

"Oh, and watch out for Thunder. He'll bite if you get too close. I think that's it."

"Are you sure, Sakura?" Syaoran asked, looking annoyed.

"Well, no, now that I think about it. Watery doesn't like you, either."

"Is there any Clow Card that DOES like me?"

Sakura frowned. "I don't think so. Just stay close to Pi...uh...Power."

"Power? Why?"

"Because she's the most loyal to me, and I asked her to protect you. Just in case, of course."

"Of course." Syaoran's frown deepened. "Sakura, I'm having doubts about this party. If you think I'm going to need protection, maybe I shouldn't go."

"You ARE going. You're my boyfriend, Syaoran. You HAVE to be there."

"But do ALL of the Clow Cards? It'd be like walking into a firing range!"

"They would never seriously hurt you. They know it would upset me."

"Well, I don't like it, either."

Sakura smiled. "I'm sure you don't. But everything's going to be fine. No one's going to hurt you. Okay?" She gave his hand a reassuring squeeze.

Syaoran sighed heavily. "Okay."

Sakura flashed him a smile, pulled him from behind the bushes...and stepped into Shot's line of vision.

"THEY'RE COMING!!!"

Syaoran covered his ears and tried to get them to stop ringing, while Sakura only winced a bit.

"Sorry. Forgot to warn you about that," Sakura said, smiling sheepishly.

"I can't believe *I* forgot," Syaoran muttered.

* * * * *

The party went surprisingly well. No one attacked Syaoran, simply because 1) it would upset Sakura, 2) it was Sakura's birthday, and 3) no one wanted to go through Power to do it. It was somewhat strange to see her at Syaoran's side instead of Sakura's, but Sakura stayed pretty close to Syaoran, anyway. It wasn't that she didn't trust the Cards. She just didn't want to tempt any of them by stepping out of the line of fire.

Shortly after noon, Akira appeared and clapped his hands loudly. "Everyone, please move into the backyard! The poetry reading will begin shortly!"

"Poetry?" Sakura asked in surprise.

"Yeah!" Firey grabbed Sakura's hand and dragged her out the door. "We've been planning this for months!"

"You...have?"

"Sure! Now, sit here!" Firey pushed Sakura into one of the swings.

A few seconds later, Shot did the same with Syaoran, although she was much less gentle about it.

Meiling and Akira took the last two swings while the Clow Cards gathered around.

Shot stepped away from the audience and cleared her throat, resulting in several shouts of protest. "WELCOME TO THE POETRY READING! AND NOW, FOR THE FIRST TIME ANYWHERE, LITTLE WILL BE...NOT SO LITTLE!"

There were many confused looks until Little appeared. At least, it LOOKED like Little. Only where she normally was shorter than Shot's boots, she now came up to just below Shot's waist. In fact, if it wasn't for her fairy-like appearance, Little would've looked like a five year-old girl.

"THIS WAS AS BIG AS BIG COULD MAKE HER," Shot explained. "BUT, AT LEAST NOW, WE DON'T NEED AN EXTRA LARGE MICROPHONE. SO, PUT YOUR HANDS TOGETHER FOR LITTLE, OR I'LL SHOOT." Though the comment was directed at everyone, Shot looked straight at Syaoran, who instantly began to clap.

Little smiled shyly and cleared her throat. "I'm not really good at speaking to crowds, but I wanted to do this for Sakura, since I'm too tiny to wrap much of anything. So, here's my poem."

Life As Little Me
By Little
(Edited by Dash & Power)

I'm small enough to be stepped on
In which case I'd go *squish!*
I'm tiny enough to be stomped
Or swallowed by any fish.

I can't beat up anyone
Or talk in a big, scary voice
And it's not because I'm chicken
It's just not my choice.

I'm not the best fighter
That much is pretty true
But don't you dare mess with me
Or my big sisters will mess with you!

Sometimes I don't get noticed
And I don't know what hurts worse
Being so small all the time
Or the heiress of the invisible curse.

I have to look up to everyone
Or all I see is shoes and toes
And to look someone in the eye
I'd have to stand on their nose.

But today I have to be seen and heard
Because it's Sakura's special day
This is how I wish to thank her
For being sweet every single day.

So maybe I could ride a gnat
Or race a roach up the wall
But standing on Sakura's shoulder
I feel ten feet tall.

I like it when she reads to us
With such sincerity and care
And when she turns to look at me
I know she knows I'm there.

So I don't feel so small anymore
Because Sakura notices little me
And even though still I miss Daddy sometimes
I really wish Sakura was my Mommy.

* * * * *

Syaoran wasn't sure what he thought of the poem. It was honest, funny, and almost...sweet. But it had come from a Clow Card. He blinked a few times, and shook his head. ~I thought they couldn't feel, but...~ He watched as Sakura ran over and swept Little into her arms, showering her tiny face with kisses.

"That was wonderful, Little!" Sakura said, hugging her tightly.

"Thanks," Little whispered, blushing.

"Would you like to sit with me? You're a little too big for my shoulder now, but you should fit in my lap just fine."

Little beamed. "Could I?!"

Sakura smiled and kissed her forehead. "Of course."

"Dash, too?" Little asked hopefully.

Sakura nodded. "Dash, too. I don't think Syaoran would mind holding him TOO much..."

"Okay, break it up!" Firey pushed Sakura back into her seat. "We've still got more poems, so SIT, birthday girl!" Firey reached down and placed Little in Sakura's lap. "You, too, shorty. It's rude to stand during poetry."

"Sorry!" Little squeaked.

"S'okay." Firey tousled Little's golden hair fondly. "Nice job, sis."

Acting purely on impulse, Little jumped up and hugged Firey's waist.

Firey smiled and patted her head. "Yeah, yeah, that's enough. You'll ruin my image." She gently pushed her younger sister away and sat down next to Akira.

Shot appeared again. "NEXT, REPRESENTING THE BROTHERHOOD OF CLOW, SHADOW WILL READ SOMETHING HE 'COMPOSED IN A DIMENSION OF TOTAL DARKNESS,' OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT. I DUNNO, GUYS ARE WEIRD LIKE THAT." Again, her gaze was focused on Syaoran, who refused to make eye contact.

Shadow drifted over and pulled a small notebook out of his cloak (which was actually himself, but no one noticed...no one but Syaoran, anyway). "This piece was created shortly after the Brotherhood of Clow was established. It's hard to get noticed in a family full of girls, so I had plenty of quiet time to create this."

Cherub of Clow
By Shadow
(Edited by Akira & Time)

Created in a world of darkness
We were the Light Keepers
Designed to do the Master's Work
To protect, serve, and maintain Order
And the Master was with us in all his glory.

But nothing is eternal, save Change
And so the Master passed, as men do
We were the fruits of his labor
His legacy, Children of the Clow
And the Master's spirit guided us.

Time assaulted our minds
Change altered our righteous Purpose
Instead of the wondrous plans made for us
We followed Instincts and Impulses alone
And the Master sent a savior to us.

On wings of Justice and Peace
The heavenly one came to us in human form
Imperfect but perfectly balanced
While radiating Love and Power
And the Master was pleased with her.

With the magic that was her birthright
The mighty seraph set out
Finding those that were Lost
Restoring our family one by one
And the Master led her to us.

Long since forgotten archangels
Have named this gentle cherub
After heaven's lovely flower
They called her name Sakura
And the Master would rest in peace.

* * * * *

Sakura's reaction to Shadow's poem was much the same as it was for Little's, but more...reserved. She had a feeling Shadow couldn't be hugged, and knew that kissing was out of the question, since there was nothing to kiss. She finally decided to thank him the only the way she could.

"That was beautiful, Shadow. Thank you."

Shadow nodded. "You're welcome, Sakura." He reached into himself (earning another weird look from Syaoran) and drew out a small object. "Happy Birthday, and may the spirit of the Master guide you always." He pressed it into her hand and then floated away.

Sakura slowly opened her hand and gasped. It was a locket, made of pure gold. There was a pink S carved into the surface. When she cracked it open, Sakura could hear the sound of a flute playing, as if there was a tiny one hidden inside. On the left side, there was a group picture of Sakura, Syaoran, Madison, Meiling, and Akira. On the right side, there was a similar picture, but with everyone dressed in their battle costumes.

From his seat on the swing, Syaoran watched Sakura press the tiny gift to her chest and close her eyes, looking as if she might cry. Then he felt a pressure in his lap and looked down. He was fairly surprised to find Little's adorable face staring back at him.

"Do you really love Sakura?" she asked.

Syaoran blinked. "Yes."

Little's face brightened. "Great!" She threw her arms around his neck.

Syaoran looked at Meiling helplessly, but she only smiled and tried not to laugh.

"Glad you two are getting along," Sakura said as she came up to them. Dash was perched on her shoulder.

"He's almost as cute as Gohan," Little said approvingly.

"Uh...what?" Syaoran asked.

"It's a compliment," Sakura added helpfully.

"Oh. Okay." Syaoran didn't look too sure of that, but he didn't really FEEL insulted, either.

"OUR LAST POEM WILL BE READ BY NONE OTHER THAN POWER!" Shot announced. "CLAP IF YOU KNOW WHAT'S GOOD FOR YOU."

Syaoran was already clapping before Shot could finish the threat.

Sakura's eyes widened in surprise. "Pinky's going to speak?"

Syaoran gaped at her. "PINKY?!"

Power slowly stepped up, gripping the paper in her hands nervously. She had practiced it several times, and knew most of it by heart, and was fairly certain she could recite the first couple of lines without looking. All the Cards had worked very hard on the poem, and it had done her heart good to see them working together to please the one person that meant so much to them...and so much more to her.

But any words Power was planning to say faded from her memory the instant she looked at Syaoran. He was shuddering...no, trembling was a better word...with restrained fury, and possibly about to bite his tongue in half.

Sakura, on the other hand, looked very curious as to what her friend might say.

The other Clow Cards looked on eagerly, waiting for their words to be given life by their unofficial spokesperson (which, thankfully, wasn't Shot for once).

Power swallowed and tried to read the poem, but the words seemed to run together, and a tiny squeak was all that came from her mouth. She lowered her head, her cheeks flushing as she tried to think of some way to save herself from further embarrassment.

And then, as she always had been, Firey was there, sliding a comforting arm around her shoulders. "Sis, what's wrong?" she whispered. "I know you can do this. You HAVE done it. I've seen you."

"But...it's different now," Power muttered. "Sakura wasn't there all the other times. And Syaoran...he's..."

"I don't care about the Li," Firey almost spat. "I care about you." She squeezed Power's shoulder. "C'mon, Sis. You can do this. I believe in you. We all do. That's why we chose you to read."

"But...what if I mess up?"

"Messing up is better than not trying at all," Firey pointed out. "Besides, you worked so hard to get good at this for Sakura. Are you really gonna quit now, when you're so close?"

"I...I..." Power blinked and bit her bottom lip. "I...will try."

"No, you'll do it because your big sister said so." Firey smiled and lightly punched her arm. "If Little could pull it off, you should have no problem. At least you've never almost been stepped on."

Power nodded and grinned nervously. "Thank you, Sister."

"Thank me by doing it," Firey replied as she took her seat.

Power took a deep breath and sighed. "I...was asked to read a poem that all the Clow Cards contributed to." She paused and allowed her gaze to drift to Sakura. "I'm sorry...but I can't do that." She lowered her head. "But...I do have another poem...one that I wrote..."

Questions
By Power

Please explain to me
This strange thing called love
Tell me why everyone
Thinks it to be from above.

Show me why it is considered
Such a very important thing
For I have seen with my own eyes
The feelings that love may bring.

I have heard the sadness
In every wail and every moan
I have heard them one too many times
When she believes she is alone.

I have seen the tears build up
Overflowing from precious green eyes
I have seen the green-garbed devil
Gradually plotting her demise.

I have witnessed heartbreak
Day after meaningless day
I wonder and ask myself why
She deserves to be treated that way.

I have spent countless nights
Staring into emerald jewels
Me for wanting, or her for staying
I don't know which is the bigger of two fools.

She is everything I've hoped for
But captive he holds her heart
It's been my fondest, forbidden wish
To use all my strength and drive them apart.

Yet, despite from what I've seen him do
I can't hurt the one I adore
I won't let her hate me the way she does him
At least, until she goes back to him like before.

I can't stand to see them together
Knowing what it does to her soul
But I have been so silent
Watching the pain take its toll.

I can't be silent anymore
I choose to let my voice be free
And once, even if only for a moment
Maybe she'll realize her love for me.

* * * * *

"Sakura?" Little asked, staring up at her friend. "Are you okay?"

Sakura blinked a few times. "I...I..."

"Whoa." Firey blinked. "Um...Akira?"

"Yes, Firey?" The warrior was slowly reaching for his sword.

"Syaoran's gonna kill Sis, isn't he?"

"He's going to try, yes. I'll stop him."

"Ah. Good. I'll have a LONG talk with her."

"A good plan. Let's use it. Quickly."

"Right."

Man and Clow Card sprang into action just as Syaoran let out a roar of rage and tried to fling himself at Power. Akira hit him with a diving tackle and kept him pinned to the ground, while Firey grabbed Power and dragged her into the house.

"UM...NO MORE POEMS." Shot scratched her head. "I GUESS THE POETRY PART IS OVER..."

"Somebody come quick!" Little squeaked. "Sakura's not breathing!"

The Clow Cards gathered around to see that Sakura was not breathing, or even moving at all. It was as if she had become a statue, and the familiar green light had left her eyes.

"This is bad," Meiling muttered, frowning. "Really, really bad."

"LET ME GO!" Syaoran screamed, struggling under Akira's weight. "SHE'S MINE!"

"I think it would be best," Akira grunted, "if you went home, Syaoran. A little help here, Meiling?!"

Syaoran finally left a few minutes later, and only because Akira and Meiling dragged him away. Shot went with them, just in case Syaoran got free on the way home.

"We still have to do something about Sakura!" Little whined.

"I guess we should take her up to her room," Arrow suggested after a moment.

"I'll do it." Big stepped forward and carefully gathered Sakura in her arms.

Little climbed up on Big's shoulder. "Will she be okay?" she whispered fearfully.

"I hope so, my friend," Big said quietly.

* * * * *

"And she just froze like this?" Kero asked, frowning as he ran a paw across Sakura's forehead.

Little nodded, a worried look on her face. "Can you help her?"

Kero closed his eyes for a moment.

"Kero-san?" Little asked.

"Shh!" Firey hissed, placing a hand on Little's head. "He's concentrating."

Little fell silent, hoping that Kero was as good a Guardian Beast as Firey had once said he was.

After a few moments, Kero opened his eyes. "There's good news and bad news."

"Good first," Big said, leaning down so she could hear better.

"Well, I know what's wrong with Sakura. It's a Clow Card."

Arrow looked surprised, then angry. "What?! But we wouldn't!"

"Yes, YOU wouldn't," Kero agreed. "But a Card that she hasn't caught would."

"You mean...there's more of us?" Little asked.

"Just this last one," Kero said. "But now I understand why Sakura missed it. In fact, I'm surprised it didn't stay hidden forever."

"Well, which one is it?" Big asked.

"That's the bad news." Kero sighed. "I can't name the Card, or it might attack instantly. And with this one, Sakura's going to need all the help she can get. When she wakes up, anyway..."

* * * * *

Power stood on the edge of the roof, watching the sun go down. Nothing had gone as she thought it might.

Firey's words echoed in her mind. "There's a time and place for everything, Sis. I know that doesn't make too much sense right now, but you have to pick your moments. To be brief, Sakura's birthday party was not the right place for that poem. I can understand why you thought it might be, but everyone makes mistakes...even us Clow Cards..."

Power blinked and lowered her head. Firey was usually right, especially when it came to humans. She'd been watching them for a long time, even before Sakura caught her. She'd figured out what they were like, and for the most part, how they acted. Power suddenly wished she'd done the same thing. Maybe then she'd know when to do certain things.

Maybe she'd understand why Sakura loved Syaoran so much, even when he hurt her.

Maybe she'd understand why Firey was better at dealing with humans than she was.

Maybe she'd understand why true happiness always seemed just out of her reach.

There was a rush of wind behind Power, and a sudden, slight pressure on her shoulder.

~These things cannot be foreseen, Sister. Despite our ages, we are new to this world.~

Power sighed. ~Why is it I can do anything I put my mind to...except the one thing I want the most? To win Sakura's heart?~

~Some things cannot be won, Power. Others...simply take time.~

~I wish there was someone who could help me...~

A warm, furry nose rubbed against her cheek. ~Perhaps there is. But you know as well as I do that there is no Love Card.~

~Yes.~ She sighed and looked at him hopefully. ~You won't...tell them, will you?~

~You know I must. But...I will take my time in doing so.~

Power smiled and kissed his nose. ~Thank you, Brother. I will not forget this.~

~See that you don't. I don't like keeping the truth from Little.~

When the sun finally sank over the horizon, Power was gone.

~They'll kill us both, you know,~ a new voice said.

~Most likely, Change. But it can't be helped.~

Change shuddered at the thought. ~Well, you're telling them this time.~

Dash sighed. ~Yes. But at least I can run faster than the rest of them.~

To Be Continued in CCC 4: The Last Clow Card

Sakura's up against what may be the toughest Clow Card yet, and it's going to take all her magic, and some new tricks, to take it down. But will it possible without Power?