Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ Clow Card Central ❯ The Last Clow Card ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: All characters belong to Nelvana/CLAMP (except the new Card, which I kinda sorta ripped off an attack from Pokemon).

Note: The Card in question is not an official one. I made it up. So if you can't find any references to it on the web, that's why. But I do think it would be a neat Card.

~...~ are thoughts or telepathic speech.

Summary: Sakura faces off against a Card that is as strong as Power...but how can she defeat it without Power?

Clow Card Central 4: The Last Clow Card



Sakura slowly opened her eyes and sat up. Instantly, something small and soft hit her in the chest with a tiny squeal of "Mommy!" She blinked and looked down to see Little hugging her tightly.

"Sakura, you've got work to do," Kero said. "But there's a few problems."

"Like what, Kero?" Sakura asked, stroking Little's hair.

"This is another test. One that you'll have to face alone. But I can give you some advice."

"I'm all ears, then."

Kero sighed. "This Card...it's incredibly strong. It's like...another version of Power, just not in the physical sense."

"What...do you mean?" Sakura asked.

"You'll know when you face it," Kero answered. "Whatever you do, don't touch it. You're stronger now, but this Card is very dangerous. It's already attacked you once, and it knows your power. Now it knows what you can and can't do. It'll be tough to catch."

"Sounds like the perfect way to end my birthday." Sakura sighed and looked at Little. "Well, let's go get our butts kicked."

Little's head snapped up. "You mean...I'm not too small to go?" she asked in surprise.

Sakura smiled. "Well, if this Card's as tough as Kero says, being small would make me a harder target to hit."

Kero closed his eyes and shook his head. ~Not this time, Sakura. This Card's already hit you...and if you're not careful, you may lose everything to it...~

* * * * *

"Have I mentioned lately how much I HATE you guys?!" Firey shouted.

Dash closed his eyes. ~Well, at least she stopped being sarcastic...~

Change sighed. ~I think I liked it better then. At least I could PRETEND she wasn't mad...~

"How could you just let Power run off like that?! She's emotionally fragile right now!"

~Emotionally fragile? She could crush a tank with her little finger!~

~All the more reason to find her. Now is not the time for joking, Change.~

Firey growled. "If she's hurt or wounded in any way..."

~Then it won't be our fault, seeing as how she wanted to go,~ Dash pointed out with a nod. ~Keeping her here would've only upset her, Firey. Deep inside, you must know that. You are her sister.~

Firey turned away from them, the growl dying in her throat. ~But...she was happy here with us...with me. She shouldn't have run. She should've come to me.~ A tear escaped one of her eyes. ~She always came to me before...~

Dash hopped onto her shoulder. ~Firey, don't be angry with Power. I've been speaking with Akira, and he's discovered something.~

"What?" Firey asked, glancing at him.

~Power may not have run off on her own. Akira thinks she was drawn away by something...or someone.~

Firey smirked. "And what could possibly draw her away?"

"The very Card Sakura's going out to capture tonight," Akira said, appearing before them.

"A...Card?" Firey asked in disbelief.

"A powerful one," Akira added.

Firey blinked. "I'm going with her."

"I thought you might. Sakura's waiting downstairs."

* * * * *

"Are you sure you're okay?" Meiling asked.

Syaoran adjusted his battle costume. "I'm not worried about Power right now. This is about a Clow Card that needs to be caught immediately. The longer it's out there, the more damage it does."

Meiling nodded. "So which Card is it?"

Syaoran looked at her. "I don't know. But I can tell it'll be tough." He reached into his costume and pulled out a green Card. "You'd better take this."

Meiling slowly accepted the Card. "Syaoran...what is this?"

"The Queen. I based it off the chess piece."

"Well, what does it do?"

"Amplifies a female's natural abilities. If it works right, with your skills, you'll make Fight look about as tough as Little."

Meiling grinned. "Cool."

* * * * *

Power wasn't sure why she went to the Penguin Slide at the zoo. She could barely recall the night she'd turned it upside down...but she had a clear picture of helping Sakura set it right side up again. It had certainly made for an interesting photo, anyway.

~I was so proud then. Always showing off my strength whenever I got the chance. What happened to me? Why did I change? When did I lose my confidence?~

The answer seemed to hit her in the face.

~Sakura happened. She made you feel...weak, vulnerable, and...exposed. She made you feel like less than a Clow Card with the power of a god. She made you feel...human.~

Power sighed, slowly moving through the zoo. It was dark now, and her biggest worry probably should've been any guards she might run into. But amazingly, there didn't seem to be any. Of course, she was much too depressed to worry about anything besides what Sakura would say to her when they next met.

She knew they would. Sakura wasn't the type to leave things unresolved. ~She'll come. Even if she's angry, she'll come. After all, I'm a Clow Card, and she's a CardCaptor. She has to come.~

Suddenly, something rough and leathery brushed against her cheek. Power gasped and jumped back.

The baby elephant seemed to smile at her, waving its trunk through the small opening in the fence.

Power calmed down. "Oh. It's you...again. I guess you're not angry with me anymore."

The elephant reached out and patted her forehead with its trunk.

Power smiled and gently stroked the trunk. "Well, at least you forgave me. I can only hope Sakura will..."

"Power?" a familiar voice asked.

Power turned to see Syaoran and Meiling standing a few feet away. "Oh, it's you two. Have you come to take me back?"

Syaoran looked confused, while Meiling nodded. "That's right."

"I'll go with you. Just...please...tell me something."

Meiling blinked. "Um...okay. What?"

Power slowly came over to them. "Tell me...what is it like...when the one you love...loves you back?"

"That's what you want to know?" Meiling asked.

"Yes." Power nodded. "I need to know. I'm afraid I'll never experience that now. So I want to know before I'm sealed. Please?"

Meiling stared at her. "It's hard to explain. It's like...well...um..."

"Butterflies."

Power paused and looked at Syaoran. "What?"

"Butterflies," he repeated softly. "In your stomach. When you see the person. That's what it feels like."

"All the time?"

"Until you get used to it. Then it's just this really warm feeling of...well...perfection." He shook his head and looked at her. "Does that help?"

"Yes." Power smiled brightly. "Thank you, Syaoran."

Syaoran looked uncomfortable. "I...uh...have to seal you now, Power."

Power nodded and sank to her knees. "Go ahead. I won't resist. But...do me a favor?"

"What?"

Power clasped her hands together. "Keep me?"

"Keep...you?" Syaoran asked.

"Yes. At least, unless Sakura asks to have me back. I want you to keep me."

Syaoran frowned. "Why?"

"I've caused so much trouble...I just want to think for a while...alone." Power lowered her head. "Seal me now, please."

"Go on, Syaoran," Meiling said.

Syaoran tried to ignore the fact that his hands were shaking as he gently tapped Power's head with his sword. "Power Card, return to your...your..."

"Syaoran? What's wrong?" Meiling asked, touching his arm.

"I...I can't do it. I just can't. I don't know why, but...I can't." He dropped his sword.

Power looked up at him pleadingly. "You must! Sakura will come soon, and...I can't face her yet..."

"Syaoran, I don't understand," Meiling said. "What's wrong?"

Syaoran frowned. "I came here...because I sensed a Clow Card. But...it wasn't Power. So how is it we found her instead?"

Power blinked, smiled, and whispered, "Gotcha."

* * * * *

"Something's wrong," Sakura muttered.

"I feel it, too," Akira agreed. "We're almost at the zoo now, and I-"

Anything he would've said was lost in the roar of the explosion at the center of the zoo.

Sakura's eyes widened. "Syaoran...Meiling...! Akira, I can't sense them!"

"I know, Sakura," he whispered. "Let's hurry."

Akira grabbed Sakura's hand, and instantly, they were standing next to the elephant cages. Fortunately, no animals had been harmed in the blast. But just about everything else had.

There was a large crater in the cement. Syaoran and Meiling were lying inside it, obviously unconscious, but otherwise fine.

Floating over the crater, shuddering with new, incredible power was...a Card.

Sakura blinked. "Akira...is that...who I think it is?"

"Yes," he said. "And...no."

For all intents and purposes, it was Power who hovered over the crater, her elfin body surrounded in mystic energies that hadn't been seen in centuries. Though she was now violet instead of pink, and her eyes were dark red, it was clear that this Power was not to be taken lightly.

"You...you said she didn't run away on her own?"

Akira nodded. "That is my belief, yes."

"So...whatever's up there with her...IN her...is what made her do it?"

"Yes."

"So...how do we catch it without hurting her?"

Akira didn't have an answer for that one.

"Well, we can't just sit here staring at her. Power needs our help!" Sakura tightened her grip on the wand and started to raise it.

"Wait, Sakura. We don't know what she's capable of. It would be best to identify the Card first." Akira suddenly looked nervous. "Besides, I don't think she recognizes us as her friends anymore."

As if on cue, Sakura and Akira were knocked to the ground by an unseen force.

Power landed gracefully and stretched out her hand. "Surrender the wand, Sakura," she said.

"P-Pinky?" Sakura whispered fearfully.

"I will not ask again." Power stepped forward.

Akira drew his sword. "Sakura...I'm going to try something. When she focuses on me, do...well...whatever it is you plan to do. I have a feeling I'll only be able to do this once."

"But I don't have a plan!" Sakura cried.

Akira shot her a look. "Then make one. Fast." With that, he leaped forward.

Power didn't seem to be alarmed. Instead, she raised a hand and opened her palm.

Akira froze in midair, hovering just before her open hand.

~Brave, but foolish, warrior. You cannot hope to defeat me.~ Her eyes darted to Sakura. ~The wand. Or he becomes my next victim.~

"Power...why are you doing this?!" Sakura tightened her grip on the wand. "I know you're upset...but we're still your friends!"

~I am not Power, Sakura. I am so far beyond Power that you couldn't possibly imagine my might. Now, give me the wand...or you'll find out how powerful I can be.~

"Oh, we'll see how strong you are," Sakura promised, backing up. "The Power I knew had a kind heart. Let's see if you can defeat the ones that were dearest to her."

Power frowned. ~That won't work.~

Sakura raised her wand and drew out the Life Card. "Friends of Power, come to my aid...NOW!"

All at once, several Cards erupted into action, instantly forming a tight circle of protection around Sakura.

~Have it your way.~ Power fell into a battle stance. ~Who will be the first to fall?~

Fight broke away from the circle, going into a similar stance.

~Good. A worthy challenge. Let's see if time has been kind to your skills, proud sister of mine.~

Fight narrowed her eyes and charged. She mercilessly threw punches and kicks at the one Card she truly respected, and perhaps, even loved as a sister. But for the first time that she could remember, her attack had no effect.

~Too bad, Fight. You would've made a nice addition to our little team. In fact, you still can.~ Power drove her fist into Fight's stomach.

Fight's eyes widened in pain and disbelief as she slowly crumpled to the ground.

~There, there. Soon, you will never feel pain again.~ Power gently lifted Fight's head and touched the center of her forehead. ~Awaken, my sister...and join us.~

As if the last few seconds had never happened, Fight sprang to her feet and went into another battle stance...only this time she was protecting Power instead of Sakura.

"What...the HECK...just happened?!" Firey asked.

"They have Fight now," Little whispered, looking scared. ~How can we fight all three of them?!~

"THE BEST WE CAN." Shot readied her fingers. "ARROW?"

"On it, Sis." Arrow readied her namesake. "Sorry about this, Power, but we're only doing it because we care."

~How ironic. I'm doing this because I don't.~ Power narrowed her eyes.

Shot and Arrow fell lifelessly to the ground.

"No!" Little cried. "She killed them!"

~Not really. But close enough, for now.~ Power smiled evilly. "Next?"

* * * * *

High above, Time, Thunder, Cloud, and Return watched the battle unfold.

"Now?" Thunder growled.

"No, Thunder." Time frowned. "They must be properly distracted first. Only then can we execute the plan."

"I HATE waiting." Thunder sat down on the cloud and waited as best he could.

"Are you certain the plan will work?" Return asked.

"Yes, my dear. It cannot fail." Time glanced down. "Let us hope our friends do not, either."

* * * * *

~Well, unless you have someone else to entertain me, Sakura, this battle is over.~ Power chuckled slightly. ~So? Who shall be next to fall?~

Sakura looked at the ground, her eyes scanning the piled up bodies of the Clow Cards that had dared to face Power and whatever was controlling her. There was really only one Card left, and Sakura wasn't about to use it.

"I have to go, Sakura," Little said quietly.

"Little, not now." Sakura frowned. "I have to think."

Little glanced at Power. "But...the real Power wouldn't hurt me."

"The real Power wouldn't hurt any of her family, but this one did," Sakura pointed out.

"I still have to try. Everyone else did." Little jumped up on Sakura's shoulder. "I'm sorry, Mommy...I have to." The smallest Card took a deep breath and leaped forward.

"Little, NO! STOP!" Sakura shouted.

Power smiled and raised her hand. ~Goodbye, Little.~ A dark aura of energy surrounded her hand, then lanced forward, heading straight for the tiny, bouncing light.

Suddenly, an orange shape appeared from nowhere and snatched the light away, allowing the dark energy to shoot past harmlessly.

Little blinked and looked up. "Firey...?!"

"You got a weird way of facing impossible odds, shorty." Firey winced as she stood up. "Stay with Sakura. I'll finish the job myself."

"But...you're hurt," Little said, noticing a dark scar on her arm.

"Yeah, and you're not. I plan to keep it that way. Go."

Power laughed. ~Seriously, Firey. You've failed once. What can you possibly do now?~

"This." Firey walked up to Power and slapped her soundly across the cheek.

Power blinked in disbelief. ~For that, you will die. Slowly.~

Firey smiled grimly as she accessed her elemental powers and flew into the air, spreading her flaming wings wide. "Yeah. Love you, too," she muttered before enfolding her wings around Power and herself.

"NOW!" a voice shouted.

Power barely had time to look up before electricity struck her body, taking her breath away. She was barely aware of Firey's arms wrapped tightly around her waist, even as the electrical fire continued to punish them both. Only one thing came to mind. ~Why? Why would you suffer, too?~

Firey opened one eye and pulled Power closer. "You're family, Sis. Nothing's more important...than family."

Power closed her eyes as the heat around her increased, and then the darkness came.

* * * * *

"Remember, girls," the man said, spreading his arms. "Every Clow Card has an equal, a balance. Some are obvious, like Light and Dark, or Little and Big. Others are not, such as-"

"Firey and Power!"

The man paused and looked down. "What...?"

"Firey and Power!" Power repeated.

The man smiled. "No, dear. Firey's equal is Water, and yours is-"

"No!" Power wailed. "Firey's mine! She has to be!"

"Power, I'm afraid the choice has already been made. It can't be undone. See for yourself." He pointed to the sky.

Power looked up and gasped. "No...Firey..."

High above, Firey and Water were twirling through the sky in a playful dance, laughing and shooting jets of flame and water at each other.

Power's eyes filled with tears. "But...she's my sister...my best friend..."

"Don't cry, Power," a gentle voice said. "I'll be your best friend."

Power slowly turned around to see a light blue, shapeless mist floating in front of her. "What...are you?"

"Your balance, your equal...your brother." The mist slowly took the shape of a young boy. "You see? We're the same, you and I. Just that your strength is physical, while mine is...well...mental."

The man squatted and took each of their hands in his. "Power, meet your new brother. He is called Psychic." He placed Power's trembling hand in Psychic's steady one.

"Don't be afraid. I would never hurt you, sister." Psychic gave her hand a gentle squeeze.

Power smiled shyly. "Then...you'll be my friend?"

Psychic nodded and returned the smile, gently brushing away her tears with his fingers. "Always, my sister." He glanced up at Firey and Water. "Come. Let's show them how Clow Cards really race."

Power nodded and leaped into the air. She felt her brother's hands on her waist as they flew higher and higher. She made a silent wish that life would always be so simple as they plowed through Firey and Water.

"Slowpokes!" Power shouted, laughing at them.

Firey grinned. "Looks like we got ourselves some competition."

Water growled in agreement and raced after the two, instantly being followed by Firey.

Back on the ground, Clow Reed smiled. "Have fun, my children. I only hope that you will always remember these times..."

* * * * *

"You still evil in there?"

Power slowly opened her eyes. "Sister? Firey?"

"Yeah, it's me. Answer the question."

"Evil? What do you..." Power caught sight of the unconscious blue form next to her. "Psychic..."

"Is that his name?" Sakura asked.

Power noticed her for the first time. "Yes," she said quietly, looking away. "He's...my brother."

"Better seal him while he's out, Sakura," Firey said. "I don't wanna have to go through that again."

"Right." Sakura raised her wand. "Return to your power confined, Psychic Card!" She brought the wand down.

The blue form was sucked into a Card, and then vanished altogether. Suddenly, the Card flew out of Sakura's hands.

"Hey, catch it!" Firey cried.

The Card whipped around in the air a few times before landing in Power's waiting hands.

"That was you...wasn't it, Return?" Power asked softly.

Return nodded. "I'm sorry we had to hurt you, Power, but it was only to distract you long enough for me to act."

Power didn't seem to hear her. "You remembered, too, didn't you, Psy?" she asked, gently tracing the face of the Card with a finger.

As if in response, the Card was surrounded in a bright blue glow for a few seconds.

Power pressed the Card to her heart. "Sakura...I have no right to ask...but could you let him out? Please? Psy hates being confined like this."

Sakura hesitated. "Oh...sure, Power." She raised the wand. "Psychic Card, come forth!"

The blue form reappeared, shaking his head, as if dizzy. Then the world came into focus, and the first person he saw was Power. "Sister...what...how...?"

"No words, Psy," she whispered, throwing her arms around his neck and hugging him tightly. ~I missed you so much...~

Psychic nodded and wrapped his arms around her waist. "Never any words," he agreed. ~I missed you, too, my sister.~ His gaze landed on Sakura. "Are...you the one who captured me?"

Sakura nodded. "That's right."

"Then I must thank you for reuniting me with Power." Psychic bowed. "I'm very sorry for the trouble I've caused. Your friends, of course, will be restored."

Syaoran and Meiling suddenly leaped to their feet, and Akira found he could move again.

"I still don't understand," Sakura said. "I was so sure I'd captured all the Cards."

"You only have me to blame," Psychic admitted. "One of my best talents is convincing people that I don't exist. It's why I've remained separated from the other Cards for so long. I've been hiding in plain sight, I guess you could say. Eventually, I only existed in the memories of the other Cards, and then even they buried me deep inside their minds."

"So why did you choose now to attack?" Firey asked. "And why DID you attack?"

"The same reason you all did. I enjoyed my freedom. I'd been watching you all for some time. I was waiting for a chance to draw Power away from you. I knew with her by my side, we would be impossible to catch. But Power was so distressed when I finally reached her, her emotions overwhelmed me. We merged as one, and that's the last thing I remember."

"Not to be rude, but can we go home now?" Little asked, yawning a bit. "Somebody might notice us all standing out here, and anyway, I'm sleepy."

"Yes, sweetie," Sakura agreed, picking her up. "Now we can go home. Unless there are any objections?"

No one said anything, but many heads turned to Power.

"No objections," she murmured, looking nervous.

Psychic placed a reassuring hand on her shoulder. ~Don't worry, Power. With time, everything will be fine.~

Power's gaze lingered on Sakura. ~I hope you're right, Psy. I really do.~

* * * * *

Concluded in CCC 5: Healing Hearts

Psychic becomes the unofficial Clow Psychologist as the Cards bring him their various problems. But is he skilled enough to seal the rift between Power and Sakura?