Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ Dreams of Amber ❯ Chapter 10 ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 10
 
 
“Sakura, I love you, I love you, I LOVE YOU!”
 
“Tomoyo…”
 
“Can you believe this? I'm coming to Hong Kong! I'm going to work for the LIS!”
 
“Yeah, good for…”
 
“All thanks to you, Sakura. You are the bestest friend in the world.”
 
“Heh, thanks Tomo—”
 
“Wait, which collection do you think I should bring? The evening wear or the spring collection?”
 
“Well, maybe you—”
 
“Oh, right now it's summer. I'll bring the summer collection!”
 
“Yeah, that's…”
 
“But what should I wear myself? I've got to look my fashionable best if I'm to work for Li Syaoran.”
 
“You can…”
 
“Oh, I know! I'll ask mum to design some dresses for me. It'll look silly if I wear my own designs.”
 
“I don't think…”
 
“Thanks for helping me out, Sakura. Without you to give me such great advice, I don't know what I'd do.”
 
“Uh… thanks. No problem.”
 
 
~
 
 
`Great.' Now, Tomoyo was coming to Hong Kong. Sakura didn't know whether to jump in excitement or smack her forehead. It would be nice to have her best friend in Hong Kong. But knowing Tomoyo, she'd probably make her life even more difficult with her match-making.
 
`And when she sees that Li Syaoran has amber eyes, we'll never hear the end of it.' Sakura gulped. `Oh God, what if she asks me to model her collection? I can't do that. Not after what Lauren Ross said on the first day. I can't abandon the kids for modeling. Especially since I've had that dream…'
 
She didn't know what to think of the dream she had last night. Or one could label it a nightmare. She didn't remember it very clearly but she vaguely recalled Yuan's voice calling “Mummy!”, then an angered woman's shriek accompanied by a gunshot, followed by the pained scream of a man. Whose voice had a very close resemblance to Syaoran's.
 
Sakura shivered every time the dream came back to her. Was it some kind of a warning or premonition? She remembered the dreams she had about `amber-eyes'.
 
`I don't see those dreams ever coming true, so maybe the dream I had last night was simply a result of my scared sub-conscience. After all those stories I've heard about Fu… just my imagination working overtime.' But that thought did nothing to assuage the feeling of dread within her.
Sakura watched the kids play in the Li gardens, still absorbed in her conflicted thoughts.
 
 
~
 
 
She had a bad feeling about the date tomorrow. It was not just about going behind Li's back, but also leaving the kids alone.
 
`I can't go. I'll tell Dan that I've changed my mind and I can't come,' she decided.
 
She knew he'd be coming here to talk to her. And sure enough, a few minutes later she felt his presence behind.
 
`Say it without looking at him. Or he'll look at you pleadingly until you give in again.'
 
“Dan, I've decided we can't go on that date tomorrow.” `Just say it fast before he says anything.' “It's not right. I can't leave the kids alone like that.” Sighing, she turned around to face him. And her mouth opened to let out a choked sound.
 
Li Syaoran stood in front of her with one eyebrow raised.
 
“I see. So you and Dan are planning to go on a date tomorrow?” he asked, eyes narrowing. “And I suppose you felt it unnecessary to ask me first.”
 
Sakura gulped. “Um… I… err…”
 
He shook his head and leaned against the tree she was standing under. “Obviously because you felt I wouldn't allow it.”
 
Sakura nodded dumbly.
 
He sighed and remained silent for awhile. “Who's going to look after the kids in your absence?”
 
“Uh… Lu said she would…”
 
“Fine then, I guess you need some time off too. Go wherever you wish to.” He glanced at her. “I'll give you permission even though you didn't ask me for it.”
 
She stared at him. “Come again?”
 
“You heard me, Miss Kinomoto,” he said with a half-smile. “Although it's nice to see you concerned about the safety of the kids, you don't have to worry about that. Nothing can happen to them as long as they're within these walls with all the servants here.”
 
Sakura nodded again, feeling a bit silly.
 
“Another thing, though. It's fine if you wish to pursue romances at your work-place. But I don't want this affecting your job.”
 
“No, no, it's not what you think, Mr Li. Dan and I are just friends. He's taking me out tomorrow to show me around Hong Kong. That's all.”
 
“Really now? Just friends?” His eyes narrowed again. “I've seen the way he behaves around you. He certainly doesn't want it to remain at `just friends'.”
 
Sakura blinked. “Um… I—”
 
“Sorry. None of my business.”
 
He quickly turned away to look at the kids playing, a slightly confused look on his face.
 
There were a few moments of silence before he spoke again. “The real reason why I came here is entirely different.”
 
Sakura straightened up.
 
He continued. “The kids seem to like you a lot, which is a first with any nanny we've had so far.” He paused. “However, we…” he pointed back-and-forth at the space between them, “…haven't got off to the best start.”
 
Sakura pursed her lips and nodded.
 
“That's not right if you're going to work here for two years.” He looked away making a face, trying to find the proper words. “What I'm basically getting at is that we need to try to get along, for the sake of the kids at least.”
 
“Um… and how exactly are we going to do that?”
 
“You could start off by taming your tongue. It's not going to get you anywhere if you—”
 
“Excuse me?” Sakura cut him off. “Taming my tongue? What is that supposed to mean?”
 
Syaoran frowned. “What you did just now is exactly what I mean. Do you realize how rude you sound when you cut someone off before they finish what they're saying? And you should watch your tone too. Do I need to remind you who the boss is?”
 
Sakura spluttered at his little speech. The nerve of that man! “Just because you're the boss doesn't mean you can push me around as you please! I may be a nanny but I've the right to voice my opinion!”
 
“I'm not pushing you around—you're forcing me to be strict with you. You have absolutely no tact and decency to talk to your superiors.”
 
“Superiors! Just because you have money doesn't make you `superior'. You know what they say—judge a man by how he treats his employees. You have no resp—”
 
“Enough!”
 
Syaoran raised a hand and Sakura held her tongue before she could insult him any further. He closed his eyes and rubbed his temple, trying to calm himself. Sakura realized that she was breathing heavily and tried to cool down as well.
 
He sighed and finally said, “This is not what I came here for. And this thing is obviously not working. So…” he scratched his chin. “…I'm simply going to tell you what I think about you. It might offend you but you'll listen and not interrupt me,” he stressed at the last three words. “After that, you'll talk and I'll listen.”
 
“So basically we'll just insult each other in the face and go away feeling happy about it?”
 
Syaoran couldn't stop his lips from curving upwards. “Yes, that's the basic point. But that will also help us know what we each think about the other, and try to change and adjust in order to get along.”
 
Sakura blinked. “That's… oh. Okay.”
 
“Okay? Then listen. I think you're incorrigible. You've no tact, no decency despite being a woman. You just say what's on your mind without knowing how rude you sound.”
 
“You've already said all that earlier,” Sakura pointed out.
 
“I think I told you not to interrupt me,” he scowled and continued. “I personally am unsure whether you'll be a good influence for the kids. I'm keeping you only because the kids seem to like you a lot. Your methods of dealing with the kids are… unconventional. And I don't approve of them. You also instigated Yuan into ruining my designs. Very bad move.
 
“I have shown tremendous patience in dealing with you. Don't expect the same from my mother. Control your tongue around her.”
 
Sakura realized that he had finished speaking and was now checking her for a reaction. She quickly closed her mouth which had opened during his speech.
 
“So? Your turn now.”
 
Sakura cleared her throat. “Well… I think you're a very bad father. You ignore the kids for the sake of your work and earning money. And then you scold them for trying to get your attention.”
 
She felt her voice getting shriller and her tone rising as she spoke. “You're an egoist—you think you're always right and hate to be proved wrong. You respect no one, but expect respect from everyone. You call me rude? Do you realize how rude you are? You have no decency either.” She paused to see his reaction.
 
He was staring straight at her, amber eyes narrowed. She felt her cheeks turning the lightest shade of red and she cursed herself mentally. `And despite all that I still have a crush on you. Damn it!'
 
She cleared her thoughts and finally added, “Basically I think you're a selfish, arrogant jerk.”
 
They stared at each other for a few moments.
 
And without warning, Syaoran burst into laughter.
 
Sakura blinked. Then her eyes widened as she saw Syaoran clutching his stomach with one hand and using the tree as a support with the other, still doubled up with laughter.
 
“Um… I don't think I said anything particularly funny…” Sakura said unsurely. This was not the reaction she was expecting from him.
 
Syaoran straightened up after finally controlling his laughter. He was still smiling as he said, “Sorry. It's just that in the twenty three years of my life, no one's ever called me a `selfish, arrogant jerk' to my face.”
 
“So you find that funny?” she asked incredulously.
 
Syaoran chuckled. “Well, of all people, it was my nanny who said it.”
 
Sakura still didn't find it very funny but couldn't help giggling herself. “So… we can get along if we try.”
 
“Yeah, I'll try not to be a selfish, arrogant jerk.”
 
“And I'll try not to be incorrigible and develop some tact and decency.”
 
“Hmm… good…” Syaoran sighed, and resumed his position of leaning against the tree observing the kids, who now seemed to be having some sort of a fight. “Miss Kinomoto… I find it silly calling you that all the time. I generally address my employees by their first names. You wouldn't have a problem with me calling you Sakura?”
 
She felt her cheeks getting warm, hearing him say her first name. In her dreams, she had heard the same voice saying her name in a wholly different manner…
 
“Miss Kinomoto?”
 
Sakura snapped out of her thoughts. “Huh?”
 
“Fine. If it bothers you I won't—”
 
“No, no, no. I'm fine with it. You can call me Sakura,” she quickly said, giving him her best smile. “So does this mean I can call you Syaoran?” she asked cheerfully.
 
There were a few moments of silence. She heard the birds chirping above her.
 
Syaoran slowly raised an eyebrow at her.
 
Sakura mentally slapped herself. `Stupid, stupid! Of course you can't call him Syaoran, you silly girl. He's your boss! He can call his subordinates by their first names, but not the other way round. You're such an idiot, Sakura!'
 
“Hmm… okay. But not in front of the others,” he finally said.
 
Sakura stared at her boss in shock. Even he looked surprised at his own answer. “Well, I…”
 
“Daddy!” came a young girl's voice.
 
They both turned to find a teary-eyed Lien running towards them, with Yuan following her. Sakura didn't know whether to be relieved or disappointed that the kids had interrupted them.
 
“Daddy, Yuan broke Barbie's arm!” Lien cried, clutching her doll in one hand and wiping her tears with the other.
 
“Yuan, why did you do that?” Syaoran asked sternly.
 
“It was an accident. I swear.”
 
It was obvious that he was lying. He was trying his best to hide the smirk forming on his lips and he was looking at Lien in a predatory way, as though he'd just realized how fun and exciting it was to trouble your own sister. He looked like his birthday had come early.
 
Sakura sighed. Poor, poor Lien. She had no idea what she was in for with a brother like Yuan.
 
 
~
 
 
“I'm so tired, Dan.”
 
“Excuse me? You are tired? I'm the one who's been carrying your shopping bags from one marketplace to another.”
 
Sakura gave him an apologetic grin. “Sorry. It's just that there's so much to buy in Hong Kong.”
 
Dan grumbled. “I thought we'd come for sightseeing. What's with women and shopping anyway?”
 
“I blame it on my best friend, Tomoyo. She's the one who got me addicted to shopping.”
 
“Was she the one who taught you to bargain like that?”
 
Sakura blushed. “Well… I'm not exactly rolling in money, you know. What's wrong with trying to get something at a cheaper price?”
 
“Nothing, except that it makes you look like a fisherwoman,” Dan teased.
 
“What?”
 
“A pretty fisherwoman.”
 
“You…”
 
“Okay, okay. Listen, I'm starving. Let's get something to eat, okay? Then we'll go back home.”
 
Sakura frowned. “So soon? But I still haven't seen Victoria Peak.”
 
“Soon? Its eight thirty P.M. and really late, and we could have gone to Victoria Peak earlier if you hadn't spent three bloody hours in Stanley market.”
 
“But…”
 
“And another three painfully boring hours at the Ladies market.”
 
“I was…”
 
“And let's not forget the two hours you dragged me around the Jade market…”
 
“Fine, I get it. And I said I'm sorry,” Sakura sighed. “Let's get something to eat then.”
 
“Good. There's a really nice seafood restaurant a few blocks away. It's close to the Li mansion as well, so we can get back as soon as we finish eating.”
 
“Seafood? I love seafood!”
 
“Yeah, I know.”
 
Sakura frowned. “How do you know? I never told you that.”
 
“Well, I'm quite good at reading people, like you said earlier.”
 
“Really? You think you know me that well?” she challenged him. “Then what's my favorite colour?”
 
“Hm… brown.”
 
Sakura gasped. “How…?”
 
“Lucky guess,” he smirked.
 
“Fine. What's my favorite flower?”
 
“Cherry blossoms.”
 
“Just because my name means `cherry blossom' doesn't mean it's my favorite kind of flower.”
 
“But it is, right?” he asked.
 
“…”
 
He chuckled. “You're an open book, Sakura.”
 
`Am I really that easy to read?' Sakura froze. What if Dan knew about her crush on Li Syaoran? She didn't want to think about it—that would be so embarrassing!
 
“Uh… let's go to this restaurant.”
 
 
~
 
 
“Well, I knew you like seafood `coz I overheard you telling Lu. And I guessed your favorite colour was brown `coz there's a lot of brown in the dresses you wear. The cherry blossom thing was just an off-hand guess,” Dan explained. “Are you satisfied now?”
 
Sitting in `Sampan Seafood Restaurant', Sakura regarded Dan. “What are you, Sherlock Holmes or something?”
 
“Yeah, I like reading Sherlock Holmes,” he grinned.
 
Sakura suddenly went still. Then just as suddenly, she turned from one side to another as though looking for someone.
 
Dan frowned. “What is it?”
 
“Li Syaoran is here. With Lauren Ross.”
 
“Eh? Where?” He turned to look around as well.
 
“I don't know. That's why I'm looking for him,” she said, still searching among the people who were seated at the restaurant.
 
“Li's not here, Sakura. What's with you?”
 
“Well, then he's going to be here soon.”
 
“How do you know that?”
 
“I just do, okay?”
 
Dan looked at her oddly. “Sakura, you're being paranoid. You're just afraid of getting caught so you're…”
 
“No I'm not. He already knows about our `date'.”
 
Dan stared at her. “He knows? How?”
 
She bit her lip. “I… um… told him by mistake. But… he's given us permission. So it's okay.”
 
He blinked. “Really? Wow… and… you didn't tell me this earlier because…?”
 
“I kinda forgot…” she said, giving him a sheepish smile.
 
“Oh my God, Sakura! You're good!” Dan suddenly exclaimed.
 
“Eh? What do you mean…?” she trailed off as she realized that Dan was staring at something behind her. She turned around and her jaw dropped.
 
A beautiful, blonde woman walked in through the door of the restaurant, followed by a brown-haired young man. Lauren Ross and Li Syaoran.
 
“What the…? He's supposed to be dining with her at the `Hutong'. That's where he always goes,” Dan said, still staring at the couple. “How did you know they were gonna come here, Sakura?”
 
“Um… female intuition, I guess.”
 
“Well, your female intuition rocks. And we need to get out of here. Eating at the same restaurant as your boss is a bad idea.” Dan slowly got up from his seat and motioned to Sakura.
 
Silently agreeing with him, she got up as well.
 
“Do my eyes deceive me? Is it really you, Mr Li?”
 
Sakura and Dan both jumped at the booming voice that came from the other end of the restaurant. Everyone's eyes turned to the source of the voice. It was a short, plump, middle-aged man, who was now rushing towards the famous couple.
 
“Mr Li! And Miss Ross! It's such an honour to have you at my humble restaurant. Please come in.” The manager eagerly shook hands with Li and kissed the back of Lauren's hand. “Waiter, make arrangements to give them the two best seats in the restaurant immediately.”
 
Every pair of eyes in the restaurant was now trained at the new celebrity customers.
 
“Good, this is our chance,” Dan whispered to Sakura, grabbing her arm. “Let's get out of here befo—ooff” He banged straight into the waiter who had been summoned by the manager.
 
His grip on Sakura's arm slipped awkwardly, which caused her to lose her balance. Which caused her to scream as she fell splat on the floor. Which caused every pair of eyes in the restaurant to now look at them.
 
“What the hell is going on here?” the manager's voice boomed, and Sakura winced.
 
“It's alright. That's my driver and my nanny,” answered a voice. Sakura recognized it as Syaoran's, and she felt her face go red.
 
“On a date, I suppose?” Lauren Ross spoke up. “How sweet.”
 
Dan helped Sakura up as Li Syaoran turned to the manager. “Make arrangements for a table for four.” He threw a glance at them, with a slight smirk. “Let's make this a double date, shall we?”