Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ Heart's Treasures ❯ "You're the King?" ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Heart's Treasures: Chapter 13
By: Starlight Rose
Email: starlighto_rose@hotmail.com

A.N. Thanks to the overwhelming show of support from everyone for the plagiarism deal I finished writing the last three pages of this story today. The past month has not been an easy time for me and I was starting to feel very down over various real life matters and the plagiarism did not help my mood much. Seeing the support everyone was showing me and the love people have for this story gave me enough inspiration to finish this story faster though I wonder if part of that was because the last few pages are mostly dialogue and I am comfortable with writing dialogue. no matter what the reason is this chapter is now done and the cliff-hanger resolved. To everyone that supported me, my sincerest heart-felt thanks to you all. You are the reason I keep at this story. I will probably still retire after this story except for occasional one-shots that my fingers itch to write, but I promise no matter what else goes on in my life and no matter how long it takes I will finish this story as long as people continue to want to read it. Please enjoy the chapter and as always review because if you don't review how can I know if you want me to continue or know if I'm still doing things right and nothing's changed despite the six months hiatus. I still love long in-depth reviews. Tell me what you like and don't like and I'll keep it in mind and consider it when I next write.

Disclaimer: Clamp, Kodansha and other companies own CCS. The Brothers Grimm are credited with Thousand Furs. I own this story. DO NOT STEAL! As has already been proven I can be very vindictive and blood-thirsty when I am upset and will flame and send out flamers to anyone who steals my story.

***********

Syaoran sighed as he sat gazing at Sakura's delicate face as she slept. The poor girl had had quite a bad experience. He was only too happy that he managed to be at the right place at the right time to save her, but he shuddered at the thought of what might have happened had he not been there to stop the inebriated lord. He wished there was a way he could help the girl. Place her in a position that would keep her safe but still allow him to see her. Syaoran supposed he could always get her accepted as a lady's maid for one of his sisters, but he was fairly sure that would be a bad idea. His sisters nearly drove him crazy sometimes and even as sweet tempered as Sakura was, he wasn't sure if even she could put up with their antics.

He glanced around the room and found what he saw depressing. The room was small and cramped but he supposed that was to be expected of a scullery maid's room and Sakura was lucky to even have her own private room. The room was dark, lit only by a small window that faced a thicket of trees with small slits of sunlight streaming weakly through. There were very few furnishings in the room. The bed Sakura slept on was pushed into a corner and at the foot of the bed was a small chest. The chair he was sitting on had to be brought in from the kitchen. The emptiness and shabbiness of the room help to reinforce to Syaoran just how different the their circumstances were. Syaoran was the king of the country and Sakura was a scullery maid, one of the lowest ranking servants in the castle.

Syaoran walked over to the small chest at the foot of Sakura's bed. He remembered the day when he had found her in the woods. His huntsmen thought that she was some exotic and rare animal and had tried to capture her. Syaoran was more than a little shocked to find it had been a girl and enraged when he found out about the Draconian Kingdom's attack on the peaceful Florian Kingdom. Even before he got to know her, something about the young girl drew Syaoran to her. She had looked so vulnerable back then with her tear-stained face, dirty and ripped clothing, and clutching desperately to a bag that probably contained all she had left in the world. The memory of Sakura back then wretched at Syaoran's heart. He never wanted to ever see her like that again and he never wanted to see her with the fear on her face like earlier that day.

He wondered if the contents of the bag were now inside the chest. He stared at the chest and debated opening it up. Curiosity waged war with honor. What was so important to Sakura that while fleeing for her life she had thought to pack up and bring with her? If he opened the chest, would he learn more about the girl and her past? Would he find out about the mysterious sadness in her eyes? His hand slowly reached down to open the chest, but it stopped as his conscience yelled at him. What was he doing? Had he no honor thinking of invading Sakura's privacy as she laid on the bed after having gone through a terrible ordeal?

Syaoran jerked his hand back quickly and resolutely turned away from the chest and walked over to Sakura's bedside. He would sit beside her until she woke, up then he would figure out a way to keep her safe. As a scullery maid she was at the mercy of any higher ranking servants and lords and nobles without the protection of anyone of importance except himself. But if he stepped in to help Sakura too often, then rumors would spread and Sakura may become pray to malicious gossip and he would have a hard time seeing her again, because Syaoran knew that if his mother found out about his interest in the scullery maid, then she would forbid him seeing Sakura again. He knew his love for the girl was hopeless but the friendship could be preserved. The only thing that bothered him was how could he do it and protect Sakura at the same time.

Syaoran sighed wearily. He knew exactly how. If Sakura were to be one of his sisters' lady's maid then they would protect her. His sisters as frivolous and air-headed as they were, were also essentially kind and good-hearted. If he told them about Sakura and her experience with Lord Cander then he was sure they would take the girl in gladly and treat her well, even if they would drive her crazy with their inane chatter. He had no real choice. When Sakura awoke he was determined to talk to her about it.

Unwillingly, Syaoran's eyes kept wondering to the little chest at the foot of Sakura's bed. So it was with extreme relief that Syaoran turned his attention to Sakura when the girl began to stir. Sakura began to moan softly in her sleep and Syaoran leaned in closer to hear what she was saying. "Poppa! Touya! Yukito! Tomoyo! Where are you? I don't want to be alone! I want to stay with you!" Tears started welling at the corners of her eyes and as Syaoran watched a few start trickling down her face he could feel his own eyes start to sting with sympathy for the girl.

Again Syaoran wondered who this mysterious girl was. She claimed that she was only a maid but she seemed to have an air of nobility around her. He wondered who the people she had yelled fir in her sleep were. He knew he could ask her but he also knew she probably wouldn't answer him. Of their own accord his hands brushed a few wayward strands of hair from Sakura's face. The pain etched on the girl's face made Syaoran's heart ache. He wanted to wake her up and hold her in his arms telling her that everything was alright. She wasn't alone. She had him and he would always stay with her, but Syaoran knew that last thought would be a lie. He couldn't always be with her.

"Sakura, wake up." Syaoran said, brushing the tears off of her face.

Sakura's eyes slowly opened and she stared up at Syaoran. "Syaoran..." she whispered softly her eyes showing her confusion. "Where am I? This looks like my room, but what are you doing here?"

Syaoran took a deep breath. He knew that this would be unpleasant. "Sakura, do you remember what happened?"

"I was walking through the garden to our usual meeting place..." Sakura started to say then the rest of the morning's event's flew through her mind. "That lord, he stopped me and asked me what I was doing there."

Syaoran watched the dawning horror on Sakura's face as she remembered the morning's events. He swore if he ever laid eyes on Cander again he would dismember the man limb by limb. "It's okay. You don't need to think about it anymore. I took care of him. He won't ever bother you again."

"I tried to get away. I even kicked him the way my brother and Er...a friend told me to, but he got up too fast and he was too strong. If you hadn't come..." Sakura started to sob as the memories rushed at her.

Syaoran stared down at Sakura sadly. He knew it would be improper for him to hold her and comfort her. His station in life and hers were too different. He couldn't always be there to protect her and comfort her like he wanted. But as he watched her cry heart-wrenching sobs of relief and fear he could not stop his body from moving forward and gathering her up in his arms. He held her head to his chest and murmured into her hair as he rocked her gently like a baby, "But I did come...so please don't cry Sakura. I can't stand to see you crying. It makes me feel like I am useless not being able to help you."

Sakura was so light and she fit so perfectly in his arms that Syaoran never wanted to let her go. She felt so soft and vulnerable and it was all Syaoran could do to not crush her. He kissed her head softly and whispered comforting words into her hair. Her hair was dirty from all the kitchen grim, but beneath it, Syaoran's sensitive sense of smell caught a faint fragrance of roses that reminded him of Ying Fa. Ying Fa had felt just as perfect in his arms but she was gone now. There was only Sakura in his arms now and Syaoran knew that had he a choice between the stunningly beautiful and elegant Ying Fa and Sakura, he would choose Sakura. But he didn't have a choice.

Sakura's sobs quieted as she listened to the soothing murmur of Syaoran's voice and the steady beating of his heart. She was safe. As long as Syaoran was with her she would be safe. She had been so scared when Cander had accosted her, but Syaoran had saved her. She remembered his tightly controlled voice as he ordered Cander to release her. Then the knowledge dawned on her. Syaoran had ORDERED Cander to release her. Cander had called Syaoran "Your Majesty" which meant Syaoran was the KING.

Shock caused the slowly dying sobs to stop completely. Pushing herself gently away from Syaoran and off of his lap Sakura stared wide-eyed at him and said slowly, "You're the King? Why didn't you ever tell me?"

Syaoran sighed. This was going to be interesting. Sakura didn't look mad at being deceived, but of course she also still seemed to be in a bit of shock. His experience with females and deceiving them was not good. The last time he remembered doing it was when he tried to lie to Xiefa about why he couldn't wear a horrible pink coat she had gotten him for his birthday. Xiefa saw right through him and he had to hide from her for a month for fear of the histrionics that she threw. Syaoran only hoped Sakura would not react like his sister. Lying was not going to help the situation and Syaoran knew he would not feel right lying to Sakura outright.

Grinning sheepishly at her Syaoran tried for the light-hearted approach. "I had hoped you had forgotten about that." Sakura stared at him. Her normally gentle expression was starting to take on what Syaoran could only guess was a slightly irritated expression. He had to guess since he had never seen her irritated before.

He tried to change tact. "You never asked? I mean you just assumed I was a lord and started calling me that, so I never actually lied to you or anything."

Sakura's eyes narrowed as she glared at him and Syaoran gulped nervously as she told no COMMANDED him in such a regal tone that it would have done his mother proud, "That's not a very good excuse, your MAJESTY."

Sakura very much reminded him of his mother at that moment and Syaoran wondered if all females had the ability to reduce males to intimidated little boys. Sakura apparently wanted the truth and at this point the truth couldn't hurt any more than Syaoran's prevaricating. "If you want the truth..."

"The truth would be nice." Sakura said her face changing back to its normal gentle expression.

"The truth is that I enjoyed being around you. I enjoyed the fact that you accepted me as myself and not the king and I didn't want to intimidate you or scare you away from being my friend. I wanted someone that liked me for myself. For some reason, it seemed better for you to think of me as just some lord that could be low ranking even rather than someone like the king." Syaoran told her not willing to look at her directly as he barred his heart to her. He could feel his cheeks warming and cursed his tendency to blush. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you, but to be honest given the choice again I would do the same thing because it gave me a chance to get to know you."

Sakura looked at Syaoran thoughtfully. She considered if she was still a princess and Syaoran was a kitchen boy. If he did not know who she was, would she have told him if she felt there was the risk of scaring him away? Honesty was important in everything, from friendship to more intimate relationships, but a superficial truth such as titles were nowhere near as important as knowing the person and Sakura knew Syaoran. He was the kind young man that had saved her and befriended her despite her low station and he was the one person that she loved most. Sakura did not know how it happened. She just knew that she loved him, but loved him or not she was no longer a princess and he was still a king, they could not be together except in this secret friendship. That combined with the fact that she wasn't being truthful with Syaoran either made his deception not too bad.

Syaoran held his breath as Sakura thought about his answer. He released it when she looked up at him and smiled. "I forgive you. You were right in that I just assumed you were a lord and I wasn't being fair to you. I owe you a lot especially for today."

Syaoran's eyes darkened. "Hopefully something like today will never happen again. I've exiled Cander, unofficially but if he has any sense he'll stay away or I'll tear him limb from limb next time I see him for trying to harm you. He isn't even worthy to touch you Sakura."

"Thank-you." Sakura answered.

Seeing the slightly haunted expression return to Sakura's face Syaoran tried to ask her something to distract her, "Err...Sakura you mentioned that you kicked Cander like your brother taught you, how was that?"

Sakura looked confused then told him with an innocent and straight-face, "I kneed him between the legs. He collapsed from it, but he got back up and was really angry."

Syaoran's eyes widened and then he started to chuckle until the chuckles became full-blown laughter. Sakura just stared at him confused. He started gasping for breath and then choking turning a bright shade of red.

"Syao..Your Majesty, are you all right?" Sakura asked rushing up to Syaoran and attempting to pound him on the back to rid him of whatever he was choking on, though Sakura didn't know whether choking on laughter was hazardous to your health or not.

"I'm fine and it's Syaoran. We've gone through this before. Nothing's changed."

"Syaoran then." Sakura said smiling happily.

"Did you kick him hard?"

"Hoe?"

"Cander, did you kick him hard?"

"As hard as I could though it didn't seem to do much good."

Grinning Syaoran told her, "Trust me it did some good. I imagine Cander might still be in some pain though I'll remember not to ever get you mad at me or mad enough to use those tactics."

"I don't understand. Is there some reason that kicking someone there would hurt a lot? Touya just told me to do it but didn't tell me why. When I asked him he just blushed a bit and told me to just do it if I was ever in that situation."

"It only hurts if you're a man."

"Why?" Sakura asked innocently.

Syaoran started turning red again and this time not from lack of air. "It just does Sakura. You might find out sometime later."

"Why can't you tell me?"

"It's embarrassing."

"Oh..." Sakura said still confused but not wanting to embarrass Syaoran anymore. He was already as red as a tomato.

Trying to get back his composure but thankful the haunted look was off of Sakura's face, Syaoran attempted to broach the subject of Sakura being a lady's maid to his sister. "Sakura, you know as long as you're a scullery maid, you will be vulnerable to cads like Cander. Wouldn't it be better if I got you a position working for one of my sisters? That way you'll be under their protection."

Sakura bit her lip and thought about Syaoran's suggestion. She might be safer from drunken noblemen like Lord Cander, but would she be in more danger from her true enemies like spies from the Draconian kingdom? If she was serving a princess she would be more visible. "I want to stay here."

"The work won't be anything so difficult and although my sisters are eccentric they are very nice and good at heart." Syaoran tried to persuade her.

"The people her in the kitchens are very nice. I want to stay here." Sakura insisted stubbornly.

"I could order you to. It'll be safer for you." Syaoran threatened glaring at her for being so stubborn. couldn't she see he only wanted to make her life easier and protect her.

"I'll be more careful from now on and I'll be just as safe working here, maybe safer since I won't attract anyone's attention. Please don't order me to Syaoran."

"Are you sure about this Sakura?" Syaoran knew he couldn't order her to accept the position he was offering. It would ruin the friendship they had established and thrust upon Sakura the inferiority of her position relative to him and Syaoran knew he could not stand to watch Sakura acting subservient to him.

"I'm very sure." Sakura told him proudly.

Despite the ugly dress she was wearing, Syaoran thought Sakura looked like a queen. "I give up then, but if anyone ever tries to harm you promise me you'll tell me?"

"I promise." Sakura said smiling and gathered up her courage. She walked over to his dejected looking figure and stood on her tippy-toes giving him a soft peck on the cheek. "Thank-you."

The feel of Sakura's soft lips on Syaoran's skin made his heart skip a beat. He stared down at her in shock and barely refrained from reaching out to pull her into his embrace and feel those soft lips on his own rather than just on his cheeks. Maybe Sakura loved him as more than a friend. If she did what then? He still couldn't be with her as anything more and even the friendship was improper.

Sakura blushed as Syaoran gazed at her. "Err...I must have been a asleep for a while. I should go back to helping Chiharu." So saying she tried to brush past Syaoran quickly and head back o the kitchens.

Syaoran touched his cheek where Sakura had kissed him and smiled, even if he could not marry Sakura, he could still spend time with her and be her friend. Even if someday soon he had to find some noble-woman to marry and Sakura might end up marrying some farmer or a castle servant, for now the future did not matter. She was with him and Syaoran knew she cared for him.

Syaoran started to leave the tiny room to go back to his duties as king, but as he was leaving his eyes caught sight of the small chest. Before he could think about it anymore Syaoran averted his eyes and left the room.

**********

Next chapter look forward to seeing a bit of E+T. I have nothing planned out since I never plan out my stories, but I do plan on going back to Flora for at least part of a chapter. I'll skip past some time and will likely cover the next major ball soon and it'll be a fun one. It'll be our dear Syaoran's birthday. If I have my way i.e. my muse cooperates with me I will hopefully get the chapter/s on Syaoran's birthday ball out on his birthday.