Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ Heart's Treasures ❯ Morning Encounter ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Heart's Treasures: Part 6
By: Starlight Rose
Email: starlighto_rose@hotmail.com

Disclaimer: The Brothers Grimm own "Thousand Furs" and Clamp, Kodansha, etc. own CCS. I don't own either and am making no profit off of this. I'm just a poor college student. This story however does belong to me and the concept and storyline is mine since I revised the original fairytale quite a bit. So don't take or else I'll hunt you down.

A.N. Another chapter out. I'm on a role this is two chapters of two different stories in one day. Of course both were at least partially done but I'm not complaining. College has of course kept me really pre-occupied, but things are settling towards a lull (at least for the time being) and I actually have some time to write. I don't have a writer's block and several of my personal problems are finally getting resolved. I hope everyone enjoys and remember feedback is always more than welcomed.

****************************

Syaoran rolled over in his bed and groaned. He opened his eyes and turned them towards his window to see the pre-dawn sky. He cursed whatever had possessed him to wake up at what he considered an unholy hour. He was fairly certain no one save maybe a few servants were up at that time and his manservant was not awake either. Syaoran closed his eyes and buried himself in his blankets and tried to return to sleep. After several minutes of this, the young king realized that he could not return to sleep and with a tired sigh he rolled out of bed and stumbled over to his wash basin. He washed his face in the cool water to wake himself up and then walked slightly more steadily towards his clothes chest. He removed a tan pair of leather breeches and a loose white linen shirt and attired himself in it.

Not sure what he should do at such an early hour Syaoran decided to take a walk about the castle. Stealthly he opened the door to his chambers and went into the torchlit hallway. He saw no one about and could only fainly hear off in the distance the sound of servants moving about. He walked down the corridor hearing the click of his boot heels reverberating up and down the deserted hall. He walked out through a side entrance to the castle a breathed in the fresh morning air feeling it fill his lungs and invigorating him. For being up so early Syaoran felt extremely refreshed and in a pleasant calm mood. The quiet of the morning soothed him and put him at peace as he strolled through the castle grounds.

Ahead of him, from a path that Syaoran remembered from his younger days of exploring the castle led to a well, came a soft familiar voice. He quietly crept up the path to watch the owner of the voice a few moments before revealing his presence. Before him stood Sakura, for once with her hair down and without her furcoat on. She was standing before the well with a large wooden bucket sitting beside her feet. The sun rising over the horizon highlighted her auburn hair and gave it a dark golden sheen. The soft pink light of the dawn sky cast its glow upon her face and made it look like a dream while making the ill-fitting old white dress she wore look almost becoming. With a small pink flower in her hair and a little bird on her finger, Syaoran thought she looked like a beautiful wood nymph.

He stood there for several minutes watching her as she seemed to talk to the little bird on her finger. She glowed with tranquility and Syaoran felt happy and at peace just watching her. The dirt stains on her face didn't matter and he noticed that beneath her rags and the dirt Sakura was very pretty. Almost too pretty to be a common scullery maid. Her face was too delicate and her skin too pale, but those thoughts were pushed out of his head as the tiny bird flew away and Sakura donned her coat once more, wrapped her hair up, and once again became the waif Syaoran had taken in.

Sakura had just put her coat on when a deep husky voice asked her, "Do you always befriend every wild creature that sets foot onto castle grounds?" Startled by the voice that intruded upon the time that she generally spent alone in the morning just readjusting herself to her life, Sakura whirled around to face the person and smiled when she realized it was Syaoran.

She bent her head a blushed at his question before answering, "I've always been good with animals. They seem to like me and talk to me. They've always been my friends and are a great comfort to me."

"You can understand what they say to you?" Syaoran asked shocked. When Sakura nodded her head Syaoran stared speculatively at her. It was a very rare and prized gift to be able to talk to animals. Syaoran had such a gift himself but he had never met anyone else with such a gift. He smiled at her and then aslked, "Is there any other hidden gifts you have?"

Sakura smiled back at him and nodded her head, "I'm also very good with plants, but everyone in Flora was good with plants and knows everything about them. I can talk to animals but I'm afraid I don't know much about them."

"I can teach you about animals like that little bird you were just talking with was a thrasher, if you teach me about plants. I've heard that plants are very useful for many things and that your kingdom of Flora was renowned for its knowledge in plant lore."

"I'd love to teach you more about plants, my lord." Sakura said casting her eyes down thrilled by the idea of seeing the young man that had rescued her and then befriended her despite the difference in social ranking.

"Syaoran." Syaoran corrected. "I already told you Sakura that you can call me Syaoran when no one is about and I do not see anyone about."

"Okay, Syaoran." Sakura said shyly.

"You know it is a very rare gift to be able to communicate with both plants and animals. You are a very special girl, Sakura." Syaoran said staring her straight in the eyes. Sakura blushed at the tender tone in his voice and the sincerity in his compliment. She felt her heart give a leap at her voice and beat erratically as their eyes met and held. She was transfixed by the gentleness she saw in his eyes. They were a warm amber like molten gold. Sakura felt her breath catch in her throat. She had never felt so nervous or so comfortable simultaniously around anyone before but this young man had managed to make her feel both by just looking at her in that tender protective manner. She felt safe with him.

The two stood staring in each other's eyes for several minutes before Kerberus trotted up to Sakura and began playfully tugging at her skirt to gain her attention. Sakura broke the spell holding her and Syaoran transfixed by pulling her gaze away from his and turning it to the little bunny at her feet. "I think Kerberus is trying to tell me that I need to get back to the kitchens." Sakura told Syaoran.

Syaoran felt his face grow red as he realized how long he had just stood there staring at her. Realizing that because of him she might be late getting back to the kitchens from her chores and thus get into trouble for it he walked over to her and picked up the empty wooden bucket at her feet and threw it into the well allowing it to be immersed before pulling it out again. He poured the water out into another bucket sitting nearby and picked it up. Sakura watched him move with the grace of an athlete before realizing what he was doing and then rushing over him exclaiming, "Oh, I can handle that. Please hand the bucket to me and I'll bring it back to the kitchens."

"Nonsense. What type of gentleman would I be to let you carry this yourself while I'm around?" Syaoran asked in what he was surprised to realize was a teasing tone. "We're friends right?"When Sakura nodded her head he continued, "Then since I'm your friend you won't mind me helping you with your chores." Syaoran could have cared less about being a gentleman, but he couldn't stand the thought of Sakura struggling with the heavy bucket then maybe getting in trouble because of him. He was glad she had answered that they were friends because for some odd reason the young girl touched him like no one else ever had and he felt a strong attraction to her that was strange for him. Around her he felt constantly relaxed because he could be himself and that made him feel happy. Being around her brought out his good points and he was going to help her anyway he could.

Helpless to stop him Sakura watched him carry the full water bucket that would have given her a lot of trouble due to her short stature and its large size and heavy weight with considerable ease towards the kitchen. A bit before they reached the kitchen Sakura told him quietly, "I can handle it from here."

"Are you sure?" Syaoran asked protectively looking from her to the few steps that led from where they were standing to the kitchen. When Sakura nodded an affirmative he sighed and placed the bucket down. Smiling at her with a smile Sakura thought the most beautiful thing she had ever seen he told her, "Meet me in the garden after breakfast is over and you have some free time and we'll begin our lessons."

Sakura smiled sweetly up at him and replied, "I'll be there!" She then picked up the bucket and hauled it down the flight of steps and into the kitchen to cheerfully go about the rest of her morning chores so that she could go and meet Syaoran in the garden later. Chiharu watched the cheerful way Sakura moved about and smiled glad to see the sweet, gentle girl she had come to think of as a close friend happy.

Syaoran watched Sakura walk down the steps and into the kitchen with a satisfied smile. Getting up at an early hour wasn't so bad after all. He would definitely have to consider getting up early again. The sunrise was a beautiful thing to be able to watch and Syaoran decided that in the right company, for example that of a certain emerald-eyed scullery maid, that it would be something he'd like to do every day.

He turned around and began walking back to the castle in a much more cheerful mood than when he had left. Syaoran decided that he would pay his mother a visit and have a 'friendly chat' with her about the absurd number of banquets being held recently. The banquets were a watse of his time, the servants' time, and state funds. There was no way that he would choose any of the simpering females his mother introduced him to at the banquets for his wife. In fact Syaoran did not even want a wife and he planned on telling her so quite bluntly while he was in a good mood and more tolerant.

As he walked down to his mother's chambers he encountered many servants along the way and noticed how they all seemed to try and scurry out of his way as if afraid of him. Although Syaoran was a kind and just king, he also had quite an explosive temper and most of the servants realized that and thus tried to stay away from him for fear of being on the recieving end of his wrath and short temper. When today the formerly aloof and moody king walked by them, and actually smiled rather than scowled, several of the servants recoiled in shock and stood watching him progress towards the queen's chambers in awe.

Syaoran strode into his mother's quarters, his face set with determination. As soon as he reached it a harald standing at the door prepared to announce him, but Syaoran waved him away impatiently but with a kind smile. He threw open the chamber doors causing several of the maids to give a shocked exclaimation before they all began curtsying frantically. From her rooms, Yulan glided out as regal and imperious as always and glared at her son. "Must you..." she started.

Syaoran cut her off before she could launch into her tirade and stated calmly, "No I could not appear before you in something more approprite since I deem my current outfit quite acceptable. If you wish for me to wear something more formal, then I suggest you get the seamtresses to sew the formal clothes to be more comfortable."

Yulan suppressed a smile at the gall her son was showing. Soon he would be ready for her to hand the kingdom over to. Whatever had occured recently had definitely caused him to improve. He was no longer quite as sulky and tried to take more responsibility and now he was becoming more outspoken and actually had the courage to stand up to her. Yulan was proud of him though she wondered what had caused the change in him. "Actually..." Yulan drawled, "I was about to complain about your visiting me at such an early hour. Must you choose a time this early? The sun has barely risen and most sensible people saving servants of course are still in their beds."

Syaoran blushed at the admonishment and muttered, "Sorry, I just thought it was an appropriate time to come talk to you before the day has started and we are both caught up in matters of state." Then looking at his mother's appearance observed. Though you don't look like you just got up either."

This time Yulan did smile at the audacity her son seemed to be showing this morning, "To have just gotten up, you need to have gone to sleep." Seeing the worried frown on her son's face she told him gently, "I will be fine. I was just about to go take a short nap when you entered. Now tell me what you want and then leave me so I can rest."

"First tell me why you stayed up all night. What matters were as pressing as that?" Syaoran challenged.

Yulan sighed. She had been hoping to spare him from the problems currently plaguing her and their kingdom but knew that for her to let him take over she needed to give him the responsibility and let him know. "Our spies have reported that the Noctrus Kingdom seems unrestive. They may be planning something, possibly an attack most likely on us. Our two kingdoms have never been on friendly terms with each other. I've been analyzing our military status and compared to theirs and we are sadly lacking. I'm going to have to start building our forces up as a precaution, but that won't be enough if they attack. We could be in the same situation the Flora Kingdom was in, but worse because the Flora Kingdom was at least allied to the Magicka Kingdom and they came to their rescue. If we come under attack I'm afriad there will be more homeless children like that girl you rescued."

Syaoran took in the gravity of the situation and nodded his head in understanding. He was surprised that his mother had paid attention to him when he had complained about Sakura to her, but hid it. He could understand the importance of the decisions she would be making soon. He did not want anymore children to be homeless and lost like Sakura especially his own people. For once he was happy the responsibility lay with his mother rather than himself. "So what are our options now?" he asked.

"We need to form an alliance with a neighboring kingdom. The most logical choice would be the Flora or the Magicka kingdom, maybe both, but both are currently having their own problems. The Flora Kingdom is still in the process of rebuilding and the Magicka Kingdom is on guard for anymore attacks as well as looking for the lost Florian princess who is apparently engaged to the Magickian prince. We could not ally with the Draconian Kingdom because they and the Noctrus kingdom are too similar and I would not trust them not to betray us. Our only choice left is the Solarian Kingdom." Yulan stated impassively.

So that's why the Magickian prince was so desperate to find the young princess, Syaoran thought. He was engaged to her. He thought of what his mother had just said and recoiled in shock at her solution. "But the Solarian Kingdom is full of religious nutcases! An alliance with them is really chancy since they are apt to declare a 'holy war' on the Noctrus Kingdom if they ally with us and provoke a war pre-emptly. Then if we managed to win with their help they might decide to declare a 'holy war' on us to convert us to worshipping their god."

Yulan nodded gravely. "I know that and I'm happy to see you see the dangers as well, but we have no real other options. I've invited a delegation of theirs to attend the celebrations of the Summer Solstice to take place in about two months from now. They will be arriving the week before it and spend two weeks here. Meanwhile we can decide whether the advantages of the alliance outweighs the risks."

"I see." Syaoran said nodding and admiring his mother's shrewd mind.

"Now that I've explained that, what did you want to see me for?" Yulan asked.

"It was nothing really important." Syaoran answered dully chastiosed for coming to trouble his mother about such small matters. He could put up with the elaborate dinners, he just hoped that Sakura wouldn't mind putting up with preparing for them too much.

"It has to have been important for you to barge into my room this early. Have you found a suitable wife?" Yulan asked.

Syaoran's face paled and the guilt he was feeling over bothering his mother disappeared as his anger resurfaced and he glared at her, "No I have not yet found a wife and certainly not one you would deem suitable. I came here to ask you to stop throwing those banquets to help introduce me to those vapid court ladies. It wastes my time and yours along with giving the servants more work than needed to be put upon them. Instead of attending those boring banquets maybe I should start attending your meetings with the kingdom's advisors. I had not known about the situation with the Florian Kingdom nor had I known the situation with our own kingdom. That makes me a rather shabby king, does it not? I would like to start hearing more about this. If I am king, I should start acting like one rathher than just a figurehead."

"Very well. I'll stop throwing the banquets and you are free to attend the meetings whenever you feel like it." Yulan told him calmly. Syaoran recoiled in shock not believeing his ears and how easily his mother seemed to be giving up. "But," Yulan continued, "I still hold you to finding a wife by your eighteenth birthday."

Sighing warily Syaoran answered with a resigned, "Yes, mother. If that is all I will leave you to your rest now." Yulan nodded her consent and Syaoran beat a hasty retreat. He had won at least a minor battle against his mother and for now that was enough.

Yulan smiled to herself as her son left. Whatever had gotten into him lately had been a good thing. He worried about the servants and the amount of work they had to do, which was a mark of a true ruler, worrying about all his subjects in all aspects of their lives and not just their safety. He spoke out against her rather than sulking like a child that had been reprimanded. And he was even interested in the running of the kingdom. Soon, Yulan thought to herself. Soon she could hand over full responsibility of the ruling of the kingdom to her head-strong son. Now if he would only find himself a wife, then Yulan would be fully satisfied. He would make a fine king she decided before returning to her rooms to get some well deserved rest.