Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ If Things Were Different: CCS ❯ The Judge ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author's Note: This is an experiment of sorts. I'm taking a "What If?" approach toward some of my favorite animes. Sakura & Co. are my first victims…er…subjects. Each anime will get its own share of stories, depending on how many different approaches I can come up with and make interesting. Tentatively, there are only two in this series, but I'm still pondering over stuff, so you never know. Outlaw Star will be the next anime I attempt, since I've got so many ideas that I didn't work into Cupid Chronicles (amazing as THAT may seem).

If Things Were Different: A Card Captor Sakura AU Fanfic Series

Story 1: The Judge

Summary: What if the Judge was Yue…but Yue was not Yukito…

I'm officially worried now.

It's well after midnight and she still isn't back. I've tried calling Yuki already, and now that he's out looking for her, I have no one to talk to. No one to reassure me that she'll be fine. No one to tell me that she's a big girl now.

She's done this before, of course. I've learned to accept that what she's doing is important, either to her or everyone, whether they know it or not, and that she has to do it. But that hardly makes the waiting any easier.

Sometimes I sit in her room and stare out of the window, hoping to catch a glimpse of her and ease my troubled mind. She wears such peculiar costumes most of the time, so it's impossible not to recognize her immediately. Occasionally, she is alone, but most of the time, that little flying, talking pet of hers is with her. Lately, though, she's been relying on…others…to bring her home.

The huge lion with wings.

The angel (male, of course; female would be too convenient) with eyes of cold silver.

The Chinese gaki, who always carries her with such…care.

I've been very careful. The instant I see her (or them) returning, I slip out of her room and shut the door behind me. I will admit to having fallen asleep on her bed a few times, though. Each time, I woke up the next morning to find her sitting on my chest, smiling down at me. "I love you, too, onii-chan," she'd say in that sweet but annoying voice I can't stand, "but I think you'd be better off in your own bed." She's right, too. I always get cramps in my legs later on.

But this night is different. I can…feel it. Something is wrong. I need to know what.

The smart thing to do would be to stay here, in case she comes home. But I'm tired of waiting already, and if tousan comes to check on her during the night…

I have to find her. Now.

* * * * *

"Are you sure about this, Sakura-chan?" Tomoyo asked, lowering her camera for a moment.

"Hai, I think so." Sakura nodded and began to sign her name to the final Card.

Syaoran watched closely, taking a deep breath as she finished. "Get ready."

"Nani?" Sakura asked.

"The Final Judgement," Keroberos said quietly.

Sakura was about to speak when a cold wind suddenly hit her. She shivered and pulled her pink cloak tighter around her shoulders.

"I do hope you're ready, Sakura-chan," a voice said quietly.

Syaoran's eyes narrowed as he turned to the speaker. "I knew it!" he muttered.

Sakura's eyes widened. "Mizuki-sensei? What are you doing here?"

Suddenly, the wind picked up, and then literally picked up Sakura, tossing her about like a rag doll.

"Sakura-chan!" Tomoyo cried, trying to reach her friend.

Syaoran tried to control the wind with a spell, but it was no use.

Sakura turned sharply, and she could see herself heading for the ground. She closed her eyes tightly and tried to brace herself for the impact, hoping it would only hurt for a few seconds.

But the hurt never came as strong…familiar?…arms wrapped around her. She could feel herself tumbling, being pressed into someone's-some boy's, she realized-chest, heaving with obvious effort and fatigue. Finally, the world stopped spinning, and Sakura dared to open her eyes.

She gasped as she instantly recognized the face leaning over hers. "Onii-chan?" she whispered, blinking slowly.

Touya finally managed to catch his breath (Sakura noticed the wheels on his hastily discarded bike were still spinning like mad) and swallowed. "Are you all right, imouto?"

Sakura could only nod, her eyes still showing surprise. She couldn't remember the last time Touya had actually called her that, instead of just "kaijuu." Not that she was complaining, but it seemed so…strange.

"Touya-kun. I'm glad you finally made it," Mizuki said.

Touya's head snapped up. "Kaho-san?!"

She smiled and reached out to him. "Come forth, koishii."

Touya frowned. "That was a long time ago, Ka-" He trailed off, his eyes drifting shut.

"Onii-chan?" Sakura asked, feeling a strange power flowing through him as he released her. "What is it? What's wrong?"

Touya didn't answer her. His body floated into the air and took on a bright, celestial glow. And then, without warning, two huge wings sprouted from his back and slowly wrapped around him, hiding him from view.

Keroberos frowned as he looked on. "Yue…"

The light began to fade, and the wings parted, but Touya was gone. In his place stood Yue.

Sakura eventually found her voice. "O…onii-chan?"

Yue's gaze landed on her. "I am Yue, the Judge. The Final Judgement will begin now."

"No…NO!" Sakura cried, running up to Yue and grabbing his robes. "Bring back onii-chan right now! You bring him back!"

"Sakura, DON'T!" Keroberos shouted, racing to stop her.

Sakura was knocked away by an unseen force. She slowly got to her feet, her eyes filling with tears. "Onii-chan…please…give him back to me…"

Yue ignored her plea. "Who will be judged?"

Syaoran gently but quickly pulled Sakura to her feet. "We will."

Yue looked at them as if they were bugs. "Pathetic. Neither of you have all of the Cards. How can you expect to pass the Judgement?"

"By working together," Syaoran replied.

"Impossible. Only one may be judged at a time…and you are first, Syaoran Li. It is both your right and your duty as a descendant of Clow Reed." Yue's eyes seemed to glow.

A bright blue aura surrounded Syaoran just before he and Yue flew into the air.

"Syaoran!" Sakura cried, reaching for him. "Come back!"

"I can't!" Syaoran shouted. "Get ready, Sakura! He'll come for you next!"

* * * * *

Yue and Syaoran landed on a nearby rooftop.

Yue stretched out his wings. "You may use all of the Cards in your possession." He narrowed his eyes and raised a hand. "Now…try to defeat me." A glowing crystal formed in Yue's hand.

Syaoran barely dodged the shards that flew past his face. He rolled aside, then leaped into the air. "Element: Lightning!" he shouted, sending a large bolt screaming from the blade of his sword.

Yue only stood there as the lightning hit him. "You cannot defeat me without the aid of the Cards, and even those will not save you now."

Syaoran drew a Card from his robe and struck the face of it. He charged at Yue, moving at inhuman speeds as he thrust his sword out.

But to Yue, he might as well have been standing still. The Judge knocked Syaoran away with his wings, then formed the crystal in his hand again. "The Judgement…is over."

The shards flew at Syaoran faster than before…much faster…almost as if The Dash itself were helping them. But by the time he'd realized what Yue had done, it was far too late.

* * * * *

The cry of pain was like a knife in Sakura's heart. "SYAORAN!" she cried, hoping to catch a glimpse of him.

"Sakura," said a soft voice behind her.

She spun around, only to find Syaoran standing there…just barely. His robe was torn, and his face was bloody. With a moan, he collapsed to the ground.

"Syaoran!" Sakura ran to him and turned him over, resting his head in her lap. "Speak to me, Syaoran, please! Tell me you're okay!"

Syaoran opened his eyes with great effort. "Run," he whispered. "Get out of here, Sakura. We…can't win. He's too…strong…" Syaoran closed his eyes and went limp.

"No…Syaoran…" Sakura lowered her head and caressed his face, as if trying to will him to wake up.

"It is time."

She turned to see Yue above her, his eyes locked on hers. "Onii-chan…you can't do this!"

"I am Yue, the Judge. You are the Card Captor chosen by Keroberos the Elector. Prepare yourself or the Judgement is over before it begins." His eyes began to glow.

Sakura panicked as she began to float into the air. "Put me down!"

"You must believe in your power, Sakura!" Keroberos called.

"Sakura-chan!" Tomoyo cried.

"Take care of Syaoran!" was the last thing Sakura shouted before she vanished.

* * * * *

"Be warned, Sakura. I now have the Cards that Syaoran lost."

"Are you telling me that because you care about me, onii-chan?"

Yue glared at her. "I am not your brother, Sakura. I am Yue the Judge, and I'm only warning you so you know how truly hopeless your chances of defeating me are. The Judgment begins now." Yue raised his hand and formed a crystal. "You may use all of the Cards in your possession. Now…try to defeat me."

"I won't fight you, onii-chan!" Sakura shouted. "I won't!"

"Then you will lose," Yue said coldly as the first shard flew past her face.

Sakura gasped as her cheek was sliced open. She could feel blood trickling down, and it soon mixed with her tears. "Onii-chan…" she whispered in disbelief.

Yue said nothing as the shards continued to fly.

Sakura turned and ran, whipping out the Fly Card. Within seconds, she was high in the air, going as fast as the Sealing Wand would allow.

It wasn't fast enough.

Sakura shrieked as Yue appeared beside her, easily keeping pace. With the same cold look in his eyes, he slammed into her, knocking her off the Wand.

As Sakura fell, her mind raced, trying to come up with a way to call the Cards without the Wand. It was now firmly in Yue's grasp, and she imagined he wouldn't give it back.

Why are you acting this way, onii-chan? You would never hurt me…not like this…

Yue hovered in the air, not coming after her for some reason. Maybe he just wanted to see if the fall would finish her off. Or maybe he was coming to his senses and realizing how wrong it all was. He could never hurt his imouto.

But…onii-chan wouldn't let me fall…would he? Please, onii-chan, don't do this! I need you, I'm scared, and I don't know what to do! Help me! Please!

Sakura realized with a start that she wasn't moving. In short, she wasn't falling. It was as if time had…stopped.

The Time Card! But Syaoran said that Yue took it…then… Oh, onii-chan! You really are in there! I'll bring you back, I promise!

Sakura closed her eyes and stretched out her hands. "Hear my voice, Clow Cards. I am not your mistress, and I may never be. I am your friend, and as your friend, I make this sole request. Please, please, bring back my onii-chan. Please bring him back to me…"

* * * * *

Syaoran slowly opened his eyes. "Sakura…?" He tried to sit up.

"Stay still, Syaoran-kun," Tomoyo said quietly, gently pushing him back down. "You're hurt badly."

"Sakura…where is she?"

Tomoyo's face fell. "Up there…with Yue."

"Is she…?"

"Yue has her Wand," Keroberos replied.

"Oh no," Tomoyo whispered, tears falling down her face. "Sakura-chan…"

Unable to do much else, Syaoran took her hands in his own, and hoped.

* * * * *

Yue was not certain what had happened. One moment, Sakura had been far below him. The next, she was above him, gliding on wings of white. Somehow, she had managed to summon The Fly without the Wand.

Very curious, that. But not enough to give her the victory.

He flew at her, the shards flying from his right hand.

Sakura didn't move, but the shards seemed to slide away from her at the last moment.

The Shield.

Yet he held the Wand, not her. This wasn't expected.

Drawing on his own power, he broke through The Shield's defenses and grabbed her arm, already sensing victory.

Sakura began to glow bright pink, and he could hear her muttering something.

"…not to hurt him…"

Suddenly, she threw herself at him, locking her arms around his waist.

Yue gasped as the air was forced out of him. Eyes narrowed, he slammed two shards into her back, wincing as her scream assaulted his ears.

And yet her grip didn't weaken.

In fact, a bright blue was added to her pink aura, resulting in a strange violet color. Her strength seemed to double, and Yue could actually feel his bones cracking as she tightened her hold on him.

He couldn't understand where she was getting the power from.

Power…The Power. And The Fight.

The Cards were helping her without the Wand.

The idea was impossible…yet true.

Drawing on The Dash's speed, Yue threw them both into the side of a nearby building, smiling when he heard something that was not his snap. But Sakura's grip never faltered in the least.

"You cannot win, Sakura. You will never be Mistress of the Clow Cards!"

"I just…want you, onii-chan," she whispered, blood spilling from her lips. "Only you…"

Yue raised his hand, forming the crystal one last time. "The Judgment is over."

Sakura screamed in frustration and tightened her grip again. "GIVE ME BACK MY ONII-CHAN!!!"

For the second time that he could recall, Yue cried out in pain. The first was when Clow Reed had died. The Judge went limp as his mind processed its very last thought for a long time: his spinal cord had been snapped in two.

Sakura buried her face in his chest, obviously not realizing the extent of the damage she had done. "Come back to me, onii-chan!" she sobbed. "Please!"

"Sakura-chan," a voice whispered.

She blinked and looked up to see Keroberos staring at her in horror. Somehow, they were back on the ground. "Did…you know he was Yue, Kero-chan? Please…I have to know."

"No, Sakura-chan," Keroberos whispered, "but Yue…he's…not breathing…"

Sakura's eyes widened as she looked down at the motionless body she still clutched in her arms. "Oh no…NO! ONII-CHAN!!!"

"Sakura, shut up and take my hand," Syaoran grunted as he crawled over to her. "I think we can still save him."

Sakura fell silent and grabbed his hand.

Syaoran slowly sat up and placed his other hand on Yue's chest.

"You'd better let me channel, Syaoran," Mizuki said, sitting next to him. "I have more experience in the area. Just give me the necessary magic energy."

Syaoran frowned for a moment, but nodded.

There was silence for a few endless moments before Mizuki finally announced, "It's not enough. We need more magic energy."

Sakura's heart sank. "Onii-chan…"

"Will be just fine," Keroberos said as he rested his head on her shoulder. "You can have mine, Mizuki-san."

"Oh, Kero-chan," Sakura whispered, tears falling from her eyes. She wrapped her free arm around his neck and buried her face in his fur. "Arigato, Kero-chan."

"Don't thank me yet, Sakura-chan," Keroberos replied, patting her shoulder with his paw.

Ten minutes later, Yue slowly opened his eyes.

"Welcome back, Yue-san," Mizuki whispered.

"The Judgment," he grunted, trying to stand, "is…is…"

"Don't." Small hands gently pushed him back down.

Yue looked up to see Sakura staring at him.

"You need to rest, Yue-san. And I…I need my onii-chan back. Please?"

"You can always make your decision tomorrow," Keroberos said.

Yue frowned, but closed his eyes. Instantly, his wings folded around his body, and he floated up into the air.

* * * * *

Touya slowly opened his eyes. "What…?"

"Onii-chan!"

Touya looked up as Sakura leaped into his arms, burying her face against his shoulder. "Imouto?"

"Oh, I'm so glad you're safe, onii-chan," she murmured, tears streaming down her face.

"Sakura…what's wrong? Why are you crying?"

"You were in an accident," said a voice.

Touya looked up to see his father standing over them. "An accident, tousan?"

"The doctor said you were very lucky," Mizuki added, coming to stand on the other side of the bed. "There were only a few bones broken in your arms and back."

"You gave us quite a scare," Yukito said. "We weren't sure when you'd wake up."

Touya stared at them all, not sure what to think. The last thing he remembered was holding Sakura in his arms. Where had she been during the accident?

"You should eat something," Mizuki said after a moment. "To get your strength back."

Touya realized that he was hungry…very hungry. Starving, in fact. When had he eaten last? He couldn't remember that, either. "None of that hospital junk. I want REAL food. Something from home."

His father smiled. "I'll be right back."

"I'll go, too," Yukito volunteered. He reached over and patted Touya's arm, smiling as usual. "Get some rest, To-ya. You're not as invincible as you might think."

"I'd better get something for you, too," Mizuki said after they'd gone. "Do you still like steak, Touya-kun?"

"Hai," Touya replied, not sure what to think of her, either. Seeing her after so long was quite strange. Absently, he wondered if she had come because she cared, or because his father might've contacted her.

He realized Sakura was still clutching his neck. Her face was pressed into his shoulder, as if she were afraid to look at him. "Imouto," he said softly, reaching up to stroke her hair.

She slowly raised her head. "Onii-chan?"

"Was I really in an accident?"

For a moment, Sakura didn't say anything. Then her lips trembled and she burst into tears again.

Touya sighed and wiped her tears away with his hospital robe. "Imouto, onegai. I need to know what happened to me."

"It…it was me," Sakura whispered, lowering her head. "I hurt you, onii-chan, and I'm so, so sorry…"

He carefully raised her chin. "How did you hurt me, imouto?"

Sakura hesitated. "You won't believe me."

"Tell me, Sakura. You'd be surprised what I might believe."

Slowly, Sakura told him everything. How she'd found the Clow Book in the basement. How she became a Card Captor. How she and Syaoran had been collecting Clow Cards. How they'd barely survived (himself included) the Final Judgment.

"So that's why you can't look at me. You thought I'd be angry."

Sakura looked at him in surprise. "You're…not?"

He smirked. "Baka kaijuu. I knew you were bound to mess up big sooner or later. That's why it's my job to forgive you."

"You…forgive me? But why?"

"Because I know you're going to mess up again. And if I didn't forgive you every time you messed up, then I'd end up hating you, and I wouldn't be much of a big brother then, would I?"

Sakura's eyes began to water. "Onii-chan…"

"Don't start that again; they only gave me one robe and you've already drenched it."

Sakura sniffled and hugged him tightly. "Arigato, onii-chan."

"Just so you know, Sakura," Touya muttered into her hair. "The next time you break my back, I'm taking it out on the Chinese gaki you seem to like so much."

"Onii-chan, he gave up energy to help save you!" she scolded. "Besides, I wouldn't have gotten this far without Syaoran and Tomoyo-chan."

"And my back never would've suffered, either," Touya pointed out.

"That's not FAIR! How was I supposed to know you were Yue-san?! YOU didn't even know!"

"Well, I'm glad you told me. At least now I know how to scare the pants off the gaki…"

"Onii-chan, you leave Syaoran alone!" Sakura glared at him. "You and Yue both!"

"I can't control Yue," Touya reminded her, grinning like mad.

"Oooooh! You're enjoying this!" she said accusingly.

"Hai, I am. It's fun to see you squirm and blush when I mention the gaki."

Sakura did turn red, but managed to keep from squirming.

"So you do like him." Touya sighed. "Then I'll have to kill him slowly…"

"You do and I'll beat you up again!" she threatened without thinking.

He gasped in mock shock. "Choosing a gaki over your poor, injured onii-chan? Now I'll have to tell tousan that you've been sneaking out with him at night…"

Sakura turned red again. "You wouldn't!"

"No, I wouldn't," he admitted, patting her head affectionately. "But Daidouji's going to make copies of all those tapes…in triplicate. Just in case."

Sakura frowned. "You are enjoying this."

Touya grinned. "I'll bet Yuki thinks you're adorable, riding around on that little wand in those ridiculous costumes…"

"Onii-chaaaaan!"

End Note: Probably the only story I'll ever do where Yue was someone else. It seemed appropriate, since Touya's always making sinister eyes at people, and Yue is sinister (until Sakura tames him, ha ha!). Devoted Syaoran fans will like the next one.

Next Story: The roles are reversed as Syaoran takes Sakura's place…literally. But what does the strange world of Card Captor Syaoran have in store for our befuddled hero? You wouldn't believe me if I told you… (just wait until you see the love rectangles!)