Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ Locked Wings ❯ The Terms ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Locked Wings
 
Disclaimer: I don't own Cardcaptor Sakura (CCS).
 
--
 
Chapter 3:
 
“I… I'm not going to do it.” Tomoyo lowered her head and stared at the floor after breathing out her answer.
 
Sakura stared aghast at her friend, shock written all over her face. She took two shaky steps toward her friend and asked, “Why? Why Tomoyo? You know how much this will mean to me if you had said yes. You knew what would happen if you turned me down! Why?!”
 
Tomoyo looked up at Sakura in anguish, “I know your father is in critical condition, but I just can't get past myself! I… I have my morals.” Tomoyo looked away and continued, “Unless…”
 
“Unless what?” Sakura asked hopefully.
 
“Unless you agree to my terms.” Tomoyo looked at Sakura with a new fire in her eyes
 
“Anything,” rushed Sakura, “anything, as long as you help me keep this secret.”
 
“Alright. I'm going to give you one month's time. If you can't make Syaoran fall for you, you can't take him away back to Hong Kong. Make him fall for you. Not the you when you were still young,” demanded Tomoyo, “but for the Sakura now.”
 
Sakura hesitated and frowned, debating over the pros and cons. She was in no position to start up a deal and in the end gave in. “Fine. I'll do it. I'll play by your rules. No more fake happy cheerful smile. This will be all me, the real me.”
 
Tomoyo sighed in relief, “Alright. At least that part's ok… but where are you living right now?”
 
“Oh,” Sakura chuckled, “the Elders are providing me a home here while I'm on this mission,” emphasizing and drawing out the word, “of theirs.”
 
Tomoyo raised an eyebrow, “Wow. Well, today is Day One so… go get started on your little mission.”
 
Sakura beamed and wordlessly gave Tomoyo a tight squeeze. She turned quickly around and ran back down the stairs and off the roof, leaving Tomoyo wondering whether or not if she had done the right thing.
 
--
 
“Oh my gosh!” gushed Eriol excitedly, “Did you see her?! She obviously flirted with you!”
 
Syaoran groaned and tucked his head into his arms, “Leave me alone. My mind is already messed up as is.”
 
Eriol took no heed of his words and continued chirping excitedly, “This is great! And you know her from before right?”
 
“Yeah…” came a muffled reply.
 
“Then you guys were meant to be! It's destiny! It's fate!”
 
“What?!” Syaoran's head shot straight up. “What makes you think she even likes me? So she said hi to me. Big deal. There's no way… no way at all.” He frowned deep in thought. But why would she come to Japan? Doesn't she have this perfect family back in Hong Kong? He remembered that her mother was a kind woman, one that his mother would never be. Packing lunches, picking her up from school, holding hands… those were all fantasies to him. What he had were bodyguards. No emotions whatsoever. Any signs of affections towards him were taken as a possible spy from a distant country, or someone out to kidnap and or kill him.
 
As Syaoran sat at his desk pondering over what was going on, Sakura had already begun moving. Thirty days can zip by pretty fast and she had better use that time wisely.
 
“Hey Syaoran.”
 
Syaoran looked up in surprise at the familiar angelic voice. Perhaps he had thought too much and his questions had monopolized his mind because before he knew it, the words had slipped from his lips. “What are you doing here in Japan?”
 
Sakura's smile quickly dropped into a frown.
 
Crap! I never thought of that!
 
“Well don't you think Japan is more fun than Hong Kong?” laughed Sakura.
 
I hope he doesn't ask about mother… or father.
 
“Oh…” said Syaoran. He hated the awkward silence building up, and as a desperate attempt to spark up an interesting conversation, he asked, “So how's your mother?”
 
Sakura had agreed to Tomoyo's terms. If word gets out that she had lied to Syaoran… the whole plan will go up in smokes.
 
“She… she passed away.”
 
Syaoran's eyes bulged in surprise but quickly turned sorrowful, “I… I'm sorry. I had no idea.” He continued on timidly, “When did this happen?”
 
Sakura tried to look normal as she answered, “About a year after you left.” Although she had promised Tomoyo to not go into fake Sakura mode, she still had her morals and that was to not let anyone see her behind her mask. This wasn't just to fool Syaoran. It was to fool everyone. No one was to see her pathetic look behind the mask. No one.
 
“I see… well then I'm sure your father's fine right?” laughed Syaoran nervously, hoping to end the conversation with that.
 
“Actually… he got into a car crash a few weeks before… and he's stuck in a coma.”
 
“Oh… I'm sorry.” Was all Syaoran said, but inside he was as puzzled as ever. What happened after I left? She's supposed to be happy! All this with her parents… I can't believe she'll leave her father's side when he's in critical situation! “Shouldn't you be in Hong Kong? Taking care of your father?”
 
Sakura smiled and replied, “He's already in good hands.”
 
This conversation revealed way too much about me much too early… I have to end this.
 
“I have to go now. I'll see you later.” Sakura slowly backed away and turned around after a light wave. Syaoran could only stare at Sakura's back, trying ever so hard to picture those pair of wings he had seen before on her but… where were they?
 
--
 
This stinks. If this goes on, he's bound to figure out that I was sent by the Elders.
 
Sakura stomped down the hallway fuming.
 
Why Tomoyo why??
 
Sakura wheeled into the nurse's office. “Excuse me? I'd like to be permitted to leave.” Sakura feinted sick and practically collapsed onto the bed for students.
 
“Aw poor dear!” cried the nurse, “What happened?”
 
“I don't know.” Sniffled Sakura loudly, “All of a sudden, I just feel so dizzy and tired. My head hurts too! Can I please go home?”
 
“Oh alright.” Said the nurse, “Give me your name and I'll mark you down as sick.”
 
“Kinomoto Sakura.”
 
The nurse raised an eyebrow and stopped writing. “The new student?”
 
Sakura paused for a second and replied, “Yes…?”
 
“You're leaving early on your first day? Are you sure this isn't some excuse to leave because you aren't accepting your environment? Or worse! Are you being bullied?” the nurse started rambling and clutching her clipboard.
 
Sakura rolled her eyes and said through gritted teeth, “No. Just send. Me. Home.”
 
The nurse stared at her wide eyed and just nodded, all the while shaking her head muttering, “Needs therapy… lots of therapy…”
 
Sakura wanted to scream right then and there but somehow managed to hold her breath in. She snatched the note the nurse held out and, holding her stomach, limped out of the nurse's office. Face scrunched, she moaned, “Bye. Thanks.”
 
“Anytime…” The nurse stared at the wall and said to herself in wonder, “How does a headache have anything to do with her stomach?”
 
--
 
Should I just call Wei and have him pick me up…?
 
Sakura debated over having a ride or not. Yes she was tired, but she also needed some alone time to think things through. Sighing, Sakura turned on her heels and started off in the direction of the Elder's estate. As she walked, many thoughts ran through her head but all were problems that basically couldn't be solved.
 
There were so many questions. Does Syaoran still like her? Will she be able to meet the 30 day deadline? She wasn't worried about Tomoyo. Tomoyo's a trustworthy person and one who keeps her word. No. It was her own behavior that she was most worried about. How will she be able to persuade Wei to not give her this make-up to bring out the “shine in her eyes”?
 
She felt so tired.
 
Without noticing, Sakura had ended up walking right up to the Elder's estate's front door. She almost crashed into the gate before she gasped and halted, her nose centimeter's away from being smashed in between two painted black metal bars. She rang the bell and saw a maid running down the steps and up the path.
 
“Ms. Kinomoto! You're here!” gasped the maid.
 
“Yeah…?” Sakura raised an eyebrow, “And why, may I ask, can't I be here?”
 
“Oh!” the maid's eyes widened and her head quickly drooped down, “I, um, meant you're back! And…”
 
“And?”
 
“And you didn't leave.” Said the maid sheepishly.
 
Sakura giggled at the maid's shyness. “Call me Sakura. If we're going to live under the same roof, then I won't stand to have someone calling Ms this and Ms that.”
 
“Yes Ms - I mean Sakura!” The maid corrected herself awkwardly, foreign to the new word. This was the first mistress she ever had who preferred to be called by her first name and without any formalities. It was bizarre. Wouldn't she want to be seen higher than her the maid? Their status were completely different!
 
“So… what's your name?” asked Sakura, feeling comfortable now, leaning against the gate acting as casual as she could, taking their encounter as practice behavorial lessons for school.
 
The maid flushed and waved her hands in front of her frantically, “Oh no! You can't possibly know my name! I'm just a worker here!”
 
Sakura stared at the maid eye to eye. They were about the same height and clearly about the same age. “Fine. Take it this way. As your mistress, I order you to call me Sakura. I command you to tell me your name so that I don't have to call you maid. Seems kind of awkward don't you think?”
 
A smile broke across Chiharu's face and her eyes lit up. “Yes Sakura. And my name is Chiharu.”
 
Sakura pushed off from the wall and started down the path, “Alright then, now tell me, as a friend to friend basis, why did you think I'd leave?”
 
“Well…” Chiharu paused and frowned, but chose to continue, “I'm not sure if you know but there are rumors that go around the house and if I was standing in your shoes, I'd give up and just leave.”
 
“I see…”
 
Well now I know to watch my tongue around her. Rumors eh…?
 
“Well I'm glad I've finally made my first friend here.” Sakura gave a small smile as she reached to open the door just to be overcome by Chiharu. A maid's instincts come before everything and thus was proven by Chiharu's low bent as she grandly opened the estate's large oak door.
 
“I'm home!” called Sakura, chuckling at the irony behind it.
 
Wei stuck his head around the dining room's door, “Welcome back Sakura. You're quite early today…” He glanced at the clock and turned his head towards Sakura. He looked suspiciously to her, “Don't tell me you ditched on your first day of school.”
 
“So! What's for dinner tonight?” asked Sakura, expertly evading the inevitable question. She marched into the dining room and wheeled into the kitchen. Cookers and maids were bustling about. Pots and pans clanged and clunged as they banged against each other. Steam rose from the stove, misting up its vicinity. Knives could be heard, thudding in rhythm against the wooden boards, slicing through vegetables and meat.
 
Sakura smiled cheerfully, a full attempt to change the subject, and chirped, “Anyone need help?”
 
All activity stopped. The sound of the knives, pots, and pans were put on pause. Only the sound of the stove could be heard, hissing incessantly. The cooks and maids stared wide eyed at the strange object standing in the kitchen. A mistress! Standing in the kitchen! It was absolutely unheard and 100 percent odd. Feeling about a dozen pairs of eyes on her, Sakura struggled to maintain her grin while backing out, “I'll be in the living room… watching TV… if anyone wants me.” With that, she turned on her heels and rushed to the living room, blushing.
 
Sakura sat on the sofa staring blankly at the brightly lit talking machine in front of her. “That was… weird. I've never been turned away for doing housework. Don't they want help?”
 
“You don't get it do you?”
 
Sakura acknowledged the voice behind her and responded, “No. I don't.”
 
“You're in a different position now,” said Wei, “You're the mistress of this house. And according to them, mistresses just don't walk into the kitchen and offer her help.”
 
“But why? If I offer it, just take it for crying out loud!”
 
“You'll get used to it. You're just… unfamiliar with this new way of life. Once you return Syaoran-sama to the Elders, all will be returned to normal for you. But for now, while you're here, the workers have to respect - ”
 
“But I don't want that!” cried Sakura, “Why can't I be accepted as one of them? Why can't I be accepted?”
 
Again, another past wound. After her mother had passed away, Sakura had to deal with many people pitying her. She was an only child living with her father. Her mother had died in a tragic and unexpected car crash. Anyone who heard her history would almost immediately switch to a lower tone of voice and give her care. It was alright if the pity would only last for a while, but constantly? Even Syaoran gave her the sorrowful look today!
 
Teachers no longer graded her papers as hard as they should have. For that, she became an outcast among her friends at school at an early age. They grew to be jealous of all the advantages and attention she got. That was why, when she left for this mission, she didn't have to say bye to anyone.
 
There was no one.
 
Sakura turned her back against Wei, a sign for him to leave her alone. Wei stared at her sympathetically, bowed, and left the room. Hearing his retreating footsteps, Sakura's shoulders relaxed and slumped down. She grabbed the nearest pillow and hugged it tightly in front of her.
 
Sleep was the only comfort. Sleep was the only way out of this horrific life she was leading. Sleep.
 
--
 
Thanks for reading this far. I've noticed that the number of reviews have been dwindling even though the number of hits have been rising. If you'd be so kind, will you please offer me some advice? Thanks!