Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ Rising at Dawn ❯ A Third Enemy ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Rising at Dawn


A/N: Minna san! Again. OK, so we got to a very mushy part last time, but now, there's going to be a bit more action. Action lovers, stand by. This one has quite a bit of suspense, and it will reveal the secret just a little bit.


Disclaimer - Kero! Oh no! You ate my claims to CCS! Now I have to hand them over to Clamp. Oh, Kero! Why did you have to eat the papers?


Rising at Dawn
Chapter 7: A Third Enemy?


Previously:
Syaoran couldn't keep his eyes off of Sakura, but Sakura was just trying to watch her feet to make sure she didn't make a mistake. 'Maybe now is the time to tell her. I might as well give it a go.' "Sakura..." "Hm?" "Um... nothing." 'Oh well. Maybe another day.' "Alright then." Sakura smiled and went back to her dancing, but she realized that she couldn't keep her eyes off Syaoran. 'Am I crazy? At this rate, he'll know that I like him, but... I just can't keep my eyes off of him. Oh why did he have to look so handsome tonight?' The music ended and Sakura and Syaoran parted to return to their seats. 'I'll cherish this dance forever.' They both had the same thought as they smiled and went to sit down.


-----------------


*~*

"Next is..." A servant came up and whispered something to the announcer. "Oh um yes. The next dance will be with wisdom, kindness, and... frog." "Frog?" "Who's that?" People started looking around at who would be using frog when they spotted Keroberos' torn character which made it look like 'frog'. "So who's the idiot who has frog? What kind of virtue is that?" Kero started questioning everyone, trying to find out. As Meilin whispered something to Kero, Sakura and Syaoran, now unable to hold it anymore, burst out laughing as everyone stared at them in curious amazement. When they finally regained their composure, they were too embarrassed to speak. "May I have this dance?" "Eriol!" Tomoyo was so surprised and jumped up so fast, she would have fallen over if Eriol didn't catch her. "Are you alright, Tomoyo?" "I'm fine. I was just a little startled." "I guess that surprise wasn't a good thing after all." Eriol stood up straight. "Would you still like to dance with me?" "Of course." Eriol led Tomoyo out to the dance floor, and they swept gracefully across the dance floor. "Eriol." "Yes?" "Why were you hiding from us?" "What? How did you know?" Eriol twirled Tomoyo around just before Tomoyo answered. "I just had a feeling that you were here." Eriol smiled as they continued their dance.

*~*

"It looks like they're having fun." "Yeah. It's a good thing Kero found a partner." In the middle of the dance corner was Kero and a cat dancing their way into people's hearts. As the dance drew to an end, Kero and the cat bowed to each other and left the scene. "So how was I?" "You were great, Kero." "Thanks, Li." 'Oh my gosh! For once I called him by his name!' "... I mean..." Kero looked around at the people who probably respected Syaoran. "... never mind. I'll let it go, just this once."

*~*

"We are here to report this announcement by the first elder." Everyone clapped as Syaoran translated for Sakura, Tomoyo, and Eriol. "It is with great pleasure that I would like to represent our youngest future leader of the Li family. A noble birth with a very determined and powerful voice is just the type of leader that this family needs. Please make way for our little wolf of the pack." Everyone stepped back as the embarrassed Syaoran walked up slowly to the front. "There's no need to be embarrassed now. Come on up and bring your future fiance as well." Meilin gasped as she looked at Sakura who stared at her curiously. "What did he say?" Meilin swallowed. "I'm not sure. I missed part of it." Meilin looked back to where Kinai was standing to see that she was missing. "Well, it looks as though she is busy. We can introduce her to the family later, I suppose." Syaoran stepped up to the front and gave his speech of a thanks and welcome to the ceremony. After introducing some unknown guests, he returned to his pack only to be surrounded by the ladies on the way back. "What did he say?" Sakura questioned Meilin. "He was introducing you, Tomoyo, and Eriol. He did a welcome back to Keroberos and an opening speech to start the ceremony." Sakura looked all around. "But why was everyone looking for someone back then?" "Oh, it was nothing. They must have had a confusion or something." Sakura didn't quite believe this lie, but she had to. It was the only logical translation she could get.

*~*

"Finally. I thought they'd never leave." Syaoran returned to his group. "Why were they hanging all over you like that?" Sakura was slightly tinted with envy, but most of it was just curiousity. "It's because Li is going to be the new elder, or the leader of the pack. To be able to be an elder requires great power and a very strict bloodline of Clow Reed." Sakura nodded her head to Meilin, expressing that she understood. "That's amazing, Li-kun. To be a leader of this huge family, you must be a very great person." Syaoran blushed as he turned his head away to hide it as Sakura kept up her compliments.

*~*

'Whew! That was a close one.' Kinai wiped her forehead and sighed with relief. 'Sakura may not really understand Chinese, but she's still smart enough to suspect something.' Kinai smiled at the two couples as she started to head back for the kitchen. Suddenly, Kinai gasped as she almost ran into a man who was hiding behind the wall. The man grinned and looked directly into her eyes, sending chills down her spine. "Zeron..." "We meet again, Kinai." "Why do you have to do this?" "You know how I feel, Kinai. This is the only way." "No! I won't let you do this! I'd rather not have it the way it was planned. I want it the way it was suppose to be." "Dear Kinai, this is the way it was suppose to be." Kinai stepped back and looked sharply into his eyes. "I'll stop you at all costs." Zeron's smile turned quickly into a frown. "I'm sorry." Suddenly, he vanished into thin air. 'Zeron, why must you do this?' "Kinai?" Kinai quickly spun around to face Sanori. "What are you doing here? Didn't you hear the announcements by the first elder?" "I'm sorry." "I'ts alright for now. Just make sure that this doesn't happen again." Kinai bowed sadly as she hurried to the kitchen to fill up the tables again.

*~*
Flashback

"Why didn't you kill her when you had the chance?!" "I'm sorry, but I can't do this." "Either you carry out this mission or you will never experience true happiness." "The only happiness I can receive is when I'm with her." "Don't you understand? After she dies once, I can make her join sides with us, and she'll be yours and only yours forever."

End of Flashback
*~*

'I can't kill her. It doesn't matter what consequences I pay...' Xeron stopped in his tracks. "...,but I know I want her to be mine... forever." As Xeron continued walking, a shadowy figure followed him all along.

*~*

"Did he kill her yet?" "No sire. He is still pondering." "Then, you know what to do if he seems to take too long." The strange figure smiled evily as his servant bowed. Surely they did seem to have an evil scheme going on.

*~*

"I wonder where Kinai is." "There she is by the tables." Sakura and the gang ran up to Kinai who was just putting the finishing touches on the table. "That looks so good!" Kero was just about to take one when Syaoran interrupted him. "Hey! What was that for?" "That's not yours. That's the food used to respect the elders who have passed away. Their seats used to be right here, and that's why the Li family sets up food to respect them." "No wonder Kinai took so long to arrange this table."

*~*

"Now, there will be one last dance before the ceremony will start it's closing. Will Li, Syaoran and Li, Kinai please come to the front." Syaoran just walked up hoping this wasn't something serious as Kinai tried to dodge Sanori who was trying to figure out what she was up to. "As a tradition, the two will dance alone until the second part of the dance starts to where everyone joins in." Syaoran and Kinai looked shocked as they just stared at each other. There was a long period of silence as everyone stared at them as if they were just plain old weird, and Syaoran and Kinai didn't feel too comfortable if Sakura was to see them. "Well, it looks like our young couple is shy. Maybe the music will help them to move about." The musicians started to play as Syaoran and Kinai still stood staring at each other uncomfortably. Just as Syaoran and Kinai caught each others gaze, the room blacked out for a split second and turned on again. Everyone looked around in a panic as they realized in terror that... Kinai was gone.

to be continued...


A/N: Puhahaha! Now you'll be under my curse of a tunnel of cliffhangers! Puhahaha<cough cough> Ugh! That's really hard on the throat. OK. I know that I'm going to torture you with cliffhangers, but trust me, the more reviews, the faster this cliffhanger haven will disappear. Arigato to all readers and a special Arigato for all those who have reviewed, will review, or will tell others about this particular story. Until next time... Kero! Stop chewing on the mouse! ^_^