Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ Sakura: Knight of the Clow ❯ Chapter 2

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Sakura: Knight of the Clow: Two

Sakura leapt up to dodge a strike, keeping a firm grip on her staff as she quickly assessed her latest opponent. The thing was big, nearly as tall as three men, it's body bulky and almost rocky in appearance. It's eyes glowed scarlet, piercing in the night.

"So what do we do now?" Yukito asked, clicking away with his camera.

"What in the.." Sakura turned in surprise, not having heard their arrival. A backhand blow from the creature sent her flying away, hammering her into a brick wall nearby the two newspaper reporters, where she slid limply to the ground.

"No," Tomoyo murmured as she ran towards her. "Sakura?" she looked down at her in surprise, offering a hand to pull her to her feet.

"Hooee?" Sakura blinked up at her dazedly.

"Sakura, are you all right?" Yukito cried as he ran over.

Sakura shook her head, trying to clear the cobwebs. "I'm fine," she used Tomoyo's hand to pull herself up, swaying just a bit. The creature ran at them again and Sakura shoved the others backwards with a cry, "Get behind me!"

A muscled arm came down only to be blocked by that odd, bird designed staff. They stood there frozen for a moment, the creature straining to crush Sakura, then the slim brown haired heaved with her shoulders to send the monster staggering away.

"I didn't want to use this," Sakura drew the ornately designed card from beneath her cloak, "but you leave me with no choice." She held still for a second, the black clad figure oddly meditative, then she tossed it up into the air.

"What is she..?" Tomoyo blinked.

"Windy card!" Sakura brought her bird designed staff down onto the card, light flaring brightly as she continued, "Become the chain of punishment and bind my enemy. Windy!"

The card almost seemed to explode as a figure made up of mist and air rose up, a gorgeous but dangerous female figure made of the very air itself. She paused, giving them a regal glance, a slight smile appearing on her face as she gazed at Sakura. Then she turned, swooping down on the creature and binding it with her substance, forming bonds of solid air.

Even as Windy struck Sakura was on the move. She ran at the creature, grabbing the base of her staff and twisting slightly. With a steely hiss she drew forth a silvery blade, the bird's head on the handle becoming the sword's hilt, even as she leapt. A single downward stroke of the weapon, a burst of black blood, and it was over.

The Windy swirled about Sakura and the much that had splattered the cloak and black clothing was simply gone. A gentle hand was pressed to the side of Sakura's face and it was gone, the card falling to settle into Sakura's hands once more.

"Incredible," Yukito managed, so stunned that he hadn't even been taking any photos.

"Are you two all right?" Sakura asked, sliding the sword back into it's concealment then closing it with a soft click.

"What was that thing?" Tomoyo asked, quickly recovering from her shock. "Where did it come from? How did you do that to stop it?"

"And what size underwear do you wear?" Yukito quipped, receiving a glare from Tomoyo. The sound of police sirens rang through the alley and he looked over at his two companions to ask, "Think we should get out of here?"

"Would you mind giving me a ride home?" Sakura said with a slight smile, "When we get there I'll explain what I know."

"Right," Tomoyo lead the way to the car. Yukito got into the back seat, Sakura grabbing the passenger side as Tomoyo started up the vehicle. They roared off, not too long before they began to pass police vehicles hurrying the way they came.

"Thanks," Sakura sighed softly.

The young woman reached up, unclipping the clasp of her cloak at her throat and then folding it up on her lap. Sakura held the staff awkwardly in her hands, then she concentrated visibly. The staff shimmered, glowing in the dim light of the car, then in began to shrink. In a few moments it was simply a key that hung from a necklace around her neck.

'She could use a nicer costume,' Tomoyo noted, taking in the plain black clothes Sakura wore, 'though it is cute.' Tomoyo froze, 'What am I thinking?'

"Wow," Yukito spoke up from the back seat, "that's pretty cool." He paused a moment, "How long have you been doing this sort of thing?"

"A couple of years now," Sakura said simply.

Tomoyo narrowed her eyes thoughtfully. "That makes sense," she murmured, "there were stories about a midnight adventurer years back, then they just stopped. And now you.. huh." She looked at Sakura curiously, "What happened to your predecessor, did she retire?"

Sakura swallowed visibly, her eyes closing tightly as if she felt a deep pain. "No," she finally said softly, "she died."

Tomoyo's mouth went dry, she opened up her mouth but nothing came out. "I'm sorry," Yukito spoke up from the back seat.

Tomoyo pulled the car in front of the little house, the address she had memorized from the briefing papers she had read about Sakura this morning. Sakura opened up the passenger side, "Come on inside, and we'll talk."

'She looks so sad,' Tomoyo thought, 'and oddly familiar, somehow. And not just from this morning.' She followed Sakura to the front door, Yukito following behind her. As Sakura was unlocking the door Yukito put a hand on her arm. "Yes?"

"You're not planning to write a story on this, are you?" Yukito asked softly.

"I don't know," Tomoyo admitted softly, "who'd believe any of this?" The door was open and the two of them followed Sakura inside. She slipped her shoes off, then they went on into the little kitchen where Sakura waved them over to the seats.

"I know Yukito is probably hungry," Sakura walked over to the cupboards, "do you want anything, Ms. Daidouji?"

"It's Tomoyo," she said softly, thinking of something Sakura had said earlier, "when someone says Ms. Daidouji I always look around for my Mother."

"Fair enough, Tomoyo," Sakura agreed, laying a plate of biscuits down in front of Yukito, then putting a bottle of iced tea down beside it. "I'm not quite sure where to start," she admitted, sitting down across from Tomoyo.

"How did you get involved with all this?" Tomoyo asked curiously.

From a pocket in her black shirt Sakura drew out two cards, laying them on the table. She unclipped her necklace, laying it atop the cards as she said, "You could say that I inherited it. These belonged to my mother, until she died."

Yukito's eyes widened, "Your mother died doing something like this?" He frowned, "But Yukito told me she died in a car crash."

"It was the best story we could come up with, my father and I," Sakura toyed with the little key absentmindedly. "He felt so guilty about his decision to let her continue as the Knight after she had Toya and I that he asked me not to take up the job," she explained.

"You're obviously doing this now," Tomoyo pointed out gently.

"The duty has been passed from mother and daughter for generations," Sakura explained, "I couldn't just turn my back on it. Instead, I waited until I moved out of my father's home before I took it the task of being the Knight of Clow."

"Clow," Yukito looked up in surprise from his plate of cookies, "wasn't that the man you mentioned over at the museum?"

"Clow Reed," Sakura agreed. She held up the two cards, "He created these Clow Cards, and he also used them to made certain predictions about the future."

Tomoyo looked over at her thoughtfully before quietly saying, "Why do I get the feeling I'm not going to like the sound of this?"

Sakura chuckled softly, "I know I didn't." More seriously she continued, "Clow claimed that if the Cards weren't restored to their sacred chamber, a great disaster would befall the world."

"You're mother's name, it wasn't Nadeshiko, was it?" Tomoyo asked softly into the moment of silence that followed that statement. At Sakura's surprised nod Tomoyo smiled slightly, "My mother, Sonomi, always talks about her cousin Nadeshiko, and has pictures all over of her."

"You two are related?" Yukito blinked in surprise, looking between the dark haired girl and the brown haired one.

"I never knew," Sakura blinked in surprise.

"I won't write a story on this," Tomoyo admitted, "at least, not yet." She fixed Sakura with an intense gaze, "But I want two things in return."

"What?" Sakura frowned.

"One," Tomoyo held up a finger, "I want to cover whatever you do. I just won't use your name." She held up another finger, "And two, I want to design you a new costume."

"What?" Sakura looked at her in surprise.

To be continued...