Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ Sakura: Knight of the Clow ❯ Chapter 3

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Sakura: Knight of the Clow: Three

Tomoyo smiled as the black haired young woman strode into the newspaper offices of the Times while Yukito followed right behind her. All around them reporters typed away on computers, people rushed about, and talk buzzed loudly.

Almost as soon as they were making their way to Tomoyo's desk Kaho Mitsuki stuck her head out of her office to demand, "Did you get it?"

"Yes," Tomoyo smiled.

"Get in here," Kaho disappeared inside.

"Into the lion's den," Yukito said with a smile as they headed to the office.

"First hand story on the Knight," Tomoyo put the disk on the editor's desk, "and we even have photos of her in action."

"Why Knight?" Kaho asked as she popped the disk in her computer's drive, scanning it as Yukito put a set of photo's of the cloaked figure down.

"We've got to call her something," Tomoyo improvised quickly, "and it's pretty catchy. Might make for good headlines."

"That's true," Kaho finished reading, the brown haired older woman turning to look the photos over. "None of her face, too bad. Still," she held up a sharp photo of the Knight calling on her magic, "that's pretty impressive."

"Thanks," Yukito blushed a bit, the light brown haired man looking down shyly.

"No ones gotten this close to the Knight's activities before," Kaho sat back with a thoughtful look, "I'm very impressed. We're going to run with this story..."

"Thank you ma'am," Tomoyo smiled.

Kaho nodded, "... and I want you two to stay on this story, too. If you can find out who she is, why she does this, I'd appreciate it."

"We'll do our best," Tomoyo waved as she and Yukito headed out.

They separated, Tomoyo heading to her desk while Yukito headed off to get more film and to go over his camera. Tomoyo sat down at her desk, finishing up another story while considering the situation that she and Yukito were now in..

'I wonder what Kaho would have said if we produced the photos that Yukito got that showed Sakura's face,' Tomoyo smiled. She typed away, 'This agreement we've struck with her could pay off big, but it could also blow up in our faces.'

Tomoyo picked up her telephone, connecting with the archives. "Hey Rika," Tomoyo instantly recognized the woman's voice, "I need you to do a search for me?"

"How can I help?" Rika asked in her pleasant way.

"I'm working on a story on that mysterious guardian of the city," Tomoyo smiled wryly at how dramatic that sounded, "I was wondering if you could do a search on similar events?"

"What time range?" Rika said seriously, the researcher focused on her work.

"A very good question," Tomoyo admitted. She thought about it a moment, "Start with the last thirty years, then extend it back by the same amount." A bit apologetically she added, "I'm not sure how far back this all might go."

"I'll get started immediately," Rika agreed.

"Thanks," Tomoyo smiled as she disconnected.

'From what Sakura told us this sort of thing has been going on for years,' Tomoyo thought as she went back to her work, 'so it should crop up in our archives at times. That material will make a good backup piece on the Knight.'

The day rushed by, Tomoyo and Yukito often being sent out together to cover various small stories. It was kind of funny that there was all this speculation around the office that they were more than friends, especially when you considered the fact that poor Yukito was gay.

"So have you told Toya about all this?" Tomoyo asked as they drove back from a story.

"Right after I got back home last night," Yukito agreed. Dressed in T-shirt and dress pants he looked crisply neat, as always.

'Well, I do too,' Tomoyo admitted to herself. Despite the wear and tear of being a reporter she tried her best to look good, either in her long pants or dresses. It all depended on the situation, what sort of story she might be covering.

"So how did that go?" Tomoyo asked curiously.

"He pretty much confirmed everything Sakura told us," Yukito admitted. He sighed softly, "But not much more, he seems to be pretty much out of the loop now."

"Isn't that interesting," Tomoyo noted. She looked thoughtful, "Family spat?"

Yukito looked oddly uncomfortable, "I'm not sure. The feeling I got was that he really didn't want to know about that part of Sakura's life."

"Can't be fun, knowing your sister is going out to fight monsters," Tomoyo agreed. They pulled in front of the paper, both dropping off their stuff quickly. Tomoyo looked at Yukito thoughtfully, "Do you want a ride home?"

"Toya's picking me up," Yukito smiled.

Tomoyo nodded thoughtfully. "Then I'll see you later, partner," she waved.

"Stay out of trouble," Yukito called out as she left.

The little car mad it's way across town, pulling to a stop in front of the museum It was quite a modern building, but the architectural design was all modeled after that of the ancient Greeks and Romans. Great white pillars rose up around the entrance, supporting the museum roof, and as Tomoyo entered the building the floors gleamed like polished glass.

"Ms. Daidouji," one of the museum employees recognized her as she walked in, "is there anything I can do to help?" He smiled, "We saw your story in the papers this morning, it was great."

"I'm off work," Tomoyo hastened to say, "just looking around."

"Do you want me to let Dr. Kinomoto know you're here?" he offered.

Tomoyo hesitated, "If it isn't any trouble, sure."

"No problem," and the young man was gone.

Tomoyo made her way inside, looking around at the various sections of the grand museum. Still, her steps carried her to the China exhibit, and the artifacts that had been recovered recently. A set of robes hung in a display case, blue tripped in gold, while nearby an odd staff rested, a design incorporating a sun and moon on the top.

"The metalwork on that staff is remarkable," the soft voice came from behind her, "centuries ahead of it's time."

Tomoyo turned to see Sakura standing there, a soft smile on the assistant curator's face. Her short, slightly ruffled brown hair fell into her eyes, dressed in a simple lab coat over street clothes. She also was a bit dusty, a smudge on the tip of her nose.

"You're a mess," Tomoyo stepped forward, wiping the smudge off and bringing a faint blush to the other women's cheeks.

"Sorry," Sakura looked down shyly, "I was helping out over in our restoration's department. I'm not so good with the fine work, but I'm a wizz at cleaning."

"Ah," Tomoyo nodded. She tilted her head to the side, looking the other woman over thoughtfully before asking, "Do you have any plans for tonight?"

"I wasn't planning to go out," Sakura said softly, reaching to touch the necklace she wore, the enchanted charm hanging from it.

"That's not quite what I meant," Tomoyo said. She shrugged, "I was going to go out and grab some dinner, I was wondering if you'd care to join me?"

"Hoeee?" Sakura blinked.

"Nothing improper," Tomoyo hastened to say, "I was just hoping we could talk a bit."

Sakura seemed to shake off her moment of surprise and said, "I... I think I'd like that."

To be continued...