Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ Sakura: Knight of the Clow ❯ Chapter 4

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Sakura: Knight of the Clow: Four

Sakura eased the artifact out of the crate, brushing aside packing materials as she looked at the section of wall. Engraved on the tile were to figures, a noble appearing young man with angel wings, and beside him a massive winged lion. 'Li sent it to me from China,' Sakura frowned in thought, 'could it be linked to the other Clow artifacts?'

"Miss Sakura?" one of the young men on the Museum staff entered nervously to say, "That reporter is here again."

"Thank you," Sakura gave him a smile as she gently put the tile down on a cotton sheet. She wrapped it carefully before stowing it away in a protective drawer. She turned to ask, "Did she say what she wanted to see me about?"

"She didn't really say," he said before heading back upstairs.

Sakura frowned, picking up her labcoat from a nearby table and pulling it on. All around her on various surfaces artifacts of one type or another sat, being prepared for restoration or display. Gold, silver, iron and stone, Sakura cautiously made her way through them all towards the door, locking it behind her as she left. It was a short walk up the stairs into the public parts of the city museum, then she went looking for Tomoyo.

Sakura walked around, looking in the various sections of the grand museum for Tomoyo. Eventually she made her way to the China exhibit and looked over the many artifacts that she had helped recover so recently. A set of silken robes hung in a display case, blue edged in gold, while nearby an odd staff rested, the design incorporating a sun and moon on the top. Tomoyo stood in front of the cases, studying them curiously.

"The metalwork on that staff is remarkable," Sakura said to her softly as she came up from behind Tomoyo, "centuries ahead of it's time."

As Tomoyo turned to see her standing there, the reporter smiling at her slightly. The woman's long black hair fell around her, dressed in a stylish business suit. "You're a mess," Tomoyo surprised Sakura by stepping forward, wiping a smudge off of Sakura's nose.

"Sorry," Sakura blushed, looking down shyly as she said, "I was helping out over in our restoration's department. I'm not so good with the fine work, but I'm a wizz at cleaning."

"Ah," Tomoyo nodded. The reporter tilted her head to the side and asked, "Do you have any plans for tonight?"

"I wasn't planning to go out," Sakura looked at her in surprise, reaching up to touch the necklace she wore, the enchanted charm hanging from it.

"That's not quite what I meant," Tomoyo said. She shrugged, "I was going to go out and grab some dinner, I was wondering if you'd care to join me?"

"Hoeee?" Sakura blinked in surprise.

"Nothing improper," Tomoyo hastened to say with a charming smile, "I was just hoping we could talk a bit."

Sakura studied her a moment before saying, "I... I think I'd like that." She looked down at her dusty clothes, "But do you know a place where I won't get thrown out?"

Tomoyo looked her up and down, and Sakura felt her cheeks color at the admiration in her gaze. "Even dusty," Tomoyo said, "you look good." She took Sakura's hand, "Come on!"

Tomoyo tugged her forward and Sakura laughed softly, the two walking out of the museum together. Sakura slowed once they reached the sports car waiting for them, "I'll mess up the seats!"

Tomoyo just chuckled, opening up the passenger door, "Trust me, it's not a problem."

Sakura pulled her lab coat off, covering up the seat with her white lab coat. "There," Sakura gave Tomoyo a smile, sitting down smoothly.

"Nice," Tomoyo acknowledged. She slid behind the wheel and started up the car. The engine purred like a cat, then with a throaty roar they smoothly pulled out into traffic.

"So where are we headed?" Sakura asked, peering into the rearview mirror and trying to tidy herself up a bit. Finally she sat back with a sigh, "It's hopeless."

"No it's not," Tomoyo smiled. She turned onto a side street, pulling in front of a high class boutique. "First we'll get you changed," she got out then opened up Sakura's door.

"What?" Sakura blinked.

"You were complaining that you were too messy to go out," Tomoyo laughed, "so we're going to fix that now." She lead them back to the clothes racks, quickly judging Sakura's size by a glance, "Do you prefer pants or dresses?"

"Dresses," Sakura stammered, "but I can't let you...."

Tomoyo took a rose evening gown out of the rack, tilting her head to the side to study Sakura thoughtfully. "Trust me, I can afford it," she smiled. She paused, "And I like doing this sort of thing. I probably would have been a close designer if I hadn't become a reporter."

"You always wanted a life-sized Barbie when you were growing up, didn't you?" Sakura complained good-naturedly as Tomoyo handed the blushing woman a set of fancy underwear to go along with the dress.

"I didn't really need one," Tomoyo gave her an impish grin, "I just made my bodyguards dress up how I wanted them too." She lead Sakura through the store, "Skirt, underwear, stockings.." she snagged a set of fine shoes then beamed, "Go get changed, I'll pay for this."

Sakura blinked as Tomoyo strode to the cashier, then with a shake of her head she headed to a change room. 'She just kind of bowled me over,' Sakura mused as she stripped, then pulled on the new clothes. She looked at the changing room mirror and whispered, "Wow."

Sakura stepped out of the changing room in her new heels and Tomoyo looked up curiously. The black haired woman's eyes widened as her lips curled up in a smile. She walked over to where Sakura stood and simply said, "You look lovely."

"Thanks to you," Sakura answered with a warm smile. While in the changing room she had used a comb in her pocket to tidy her hair and was a bit surprised to have Tomoyo reach up to ruffle it slightly. "What was that for?" she protested.

"It looks better that way," Tomoyo offered her arm to Sakura, and together they left the store, Sakura's old clothes in a store bag. "I hope you don't mind my taking charge like that," Tomoyo's voice was gentle, "it's a habit I picked up from my mother."

"The business-woman Sonomi Daidouji," Sakura nodded as the two of them climbed back into the car, pausing only to toss her labcoat in the back with her old clothes. She sighed softly, "My mother talked about her occasionally, just not around my dad."

"Why was that?" Tomoyo asked curiously as they moved out into traffic once again, keeping a careful eye on the other cars on the road.

Sakura was a bit uncomfortable as she admitted, "I got the feeling my father never really got along with your mom."

"I'll have to ask Sonomi about it," Tomoyo said thoughtfully. The woman drove with the minimum amount of movement, guiding her car with gentle skill.

"How much did all of this cost?" Sakura had to ask, gesturing down to her new outfit, "I'd like to pay you back later."

"Friends don't need to pay back things," Tomoyo looked over at Sakura with a engaging smile, "and I'm hoping we'll become friends."

Sakura was a bit surprised to hear such... loneliness in Tomoyo's voice. She smiled back and said, "I hope we will be, too."

"Thanks," Tomoyo grinned as they pulled up in front of a restaurant. She got out first, walking around to open Sakura's door for her. "Shall we?"

"I'd be honored," Sakura rose to take Tomoyo's hand. She felt a bit of relief as they walked towards the door. The restaurant was nice, but not too high class. "The Rose," Sakura murmured, "I've never been here before."

"It was recommended to me by a friend," Tomoyo walked her forward smoothly. The young man at the till smiled as they entered, recognizing Tomoyo. She smiled and said, "Good evening Jim. I'm sorry to say we don't have a reservation."

Jim smiled, blonde hair falling into his eyes. "I'm sure we can find a seat for you two," he beamed, pressing a switch on his desk. A young waitress arrived and he said, "Take Miss Tomoyo and her guest to booth number nine, please."

"Right," the blonde waitress beamed and led the two ladies in.

Sakura looked around her, the comfortable but unpretentious decoration of the place pleasing to the eye. Her eyes widened as she noticed both same sex and mixed couples sitting intimately close. 'Interesting place for dinner,' Sakura mused.

To be continued...