Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ Sakura: Knight of the Clow ❯ Chapter 5

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Sakura: Knight of the Clow: Five

Tomoyo walked beside Sakura, noticing the brown haired young woman's now slightly wide eyes. 'Wonder if I should have picked another restaurant?' the black haired reporter mused worriedly. She had gotten used to the Rose, but Sakura was a newcomer....

"Here we are," the blonde haired waitress beamed. She set two leather bound menus on the table and added, "I'll be back in a few minutes to get your orders."

"Thanks Becky," Tomoyo noted the girl's nametag with a smile.

Sakura settled down into her seat, smiling slightly. "An interesting restaurant," she noted. Sakura smiled slightly, "I think it's the one Yukito and Toya go to, isn't it?"

"Oh yes," Tomoyo agreed, "but I was the one to tell them about it."

Sakura nodded to herself thoughtfully. She looked over at Tomoyo, "I guess you've done a lot of research on me for your article, but I know almost nothing about you."

Tomoyo flashed a smile, "Not that much to tell."

"Oh really?" Sakura asked.

Tomoyo sighed to herself slightly, realizing that Sakura was serious. "I was born here in Tokyo shortly before Sonomi Daidouji divorced her second husband," she said thoughtfully. "Went to private schools for most of my life, probably why we never ran into each other in school. Against my mother's wishes I went into journalism," she smiled, "my first real act of rebellion."

Sakura smiled a little sadly, "I wouldn't have minded meeting you in school."

"Me, too," Tomoyo admitted. "I had bodyguards all my life until I left school," she smiled wryly, "I actually missed them for awhile."

"I read some of your articles after that interview," Sakura smiled, "you've done well. Several local journalism awards, in the running for some of the nationals."

"Still haven't won," Tomoyo grinned, "but it'll happen."

The waitress returned, a bounce to her step. "Have you decided what you'd like to order?" Becky asked them cheerfully.

"What's the special tonight?" Tomoyo asked smoothly.

"Burger platter," Becky said, "with wedge fries, gravy, and drink."

"Totally unhealthy," Sakura noted with a smile, "I'd love it with as cola."

Tomoyo chuckled softly, a little surprised by Sakura showing a decadent side. "One for me, too, let's both be bad," she smiled, "but make up two garden salads as a side dish, please."

"Got it," Becky waved as she scampered off.

"A bit of virtue to go along with all the vice," Sakura said with a impish little smile, "it seems that we think alike."

Tomoyo nodded, "Guess so." She leaned back in her seat a bit, her long black hair flowing down her back in a neat braid as she studied Sakura.

'She seems so innocent at times,' Tomoyo mused as she watched the elegantly dressed Sakura, 'but she adapted to all this easily.' A young woman walked over, clearly having recognized the locally famous archeologist and Sakura handled her with gentleness and tact.

"What?" Sakura asked curiously.

"How did you get into archeology?" Tomoyo asked curiously.

"Wanting to understand the cards," Sakura admitted. "From the stories my mother passed on they've been around nearly forever...."

"Here you go," Becky bounced up to their table, smoothly dropping off two heavily laden trays with the meals on them. She set those and the drinks in front of them before adding, "I'll be by later to see if you want desert."

"Right," Sakura murmured, looking wide eyed at the massive amounts they had been served. Once Becky left she whispered, "I can't eat all this!"

"Join the club," Tomoyo laughed, "but we'll make a valiant effort." As the two women dug in she asked, "Have you had any luck looking into the cards?"

"Not as much as I'd like," Sakura admitted, taking a bite out of her burger then dabbing at her mouth with a napkin. "Clow Reed was a magician who traveled across Asia, especially China and ancient Japan. He was also a fortune teller, and he originally fashioned the Clow cards to assist him in that," she explained.

"So how many cards are there?" Tomoyo asked curiously, eating gravy covered fries with a great deal of enjoyment.

"A lot," Sakura sighed. "I have the Windy and Fly cards and in my research I've discovered that there are Mirror, Fight, Shadow and many others," she said.

Tomoyo nodded slightly at that. "So how would you go about finding all these cards?" she asked her curiously.

"That's the problem," Sakura picked up a fry with her fingers, munching on it glumly. "When I was searching in China I was able to... sense the presence of certain artifacts," she revealed, "The book, pen and staff all drew me to them."

"So if you're near a Clow card," Tomoyo dug into her other half of a burger, "you'll probably be able to sense it too."

"But only if I'm pretty near," Sakura pointed out with a fry, "I was only able to pick up the artifacts if I was within a few feet."

"So we'll need to find a lead on the cards locations first," Tomoyo mused. She smiled, "My connections as a reporter might help."

"Thank you," Sakura flashed a smile, pushing her plate aside to get to her salad. She hesitated, "I'm not sure this sort of thing is going to be terribly newsworthy, though...."

"We're family, sort of," Tomoyo finally said, referring to their mothers being cousins. She crunched on a tomato from her salad and chuckled softly, "Besides, I don't think my curiosity would let me stay out of this, either."

Sakura smiled, "I'm glad."

"I see you're pretty much done," Becky appeared with a smile. Tomoyo looked down at her plate in surprise, realizing that she'd absentmindedly cleared her plate while talking to Sakura. "What would you like for desert?"

Sakura looked appealingly at Tomoyo. "I haven't been here before," she said, "is there something you liked?"

"There was a treat I got last time," Tomoyo smiled wickedly, "Death by Chocolate."

"It's not healthy, I take it," Sakura smiled back. She looked over up at where Becky stood, "We'll take two, please."

"Two Death by Chocolate," Becky laughed, coming back in a few moments with two dishes filled with the seductive chocolate treat.

"You're a bad influence, you know that?" Sakura said to Tomoyo with a laugh.

"Me?" Tomoyo batted her eyes innocently. "I wasn't the one who ordered it," she laughed, savoring a spoonful with a happy sigh.

"You know," Sakura said, a bit of chocolate stuck to the corner of her mouth, "I had a really good time tonight."

"You sound surprised," Tomoyo noted.

"I guess I am," Sakura admitted. She blushed slightly, "I don't have much of a social life."

Tomoyo hesitated, reaching out to put her hand gently on top of Sakura's. "Maybe I can help you change that," she offered.

Sakura blushed, but she didn't pull her hand away. "I'd like that," she smiled.

To be continued...