Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ Sakura: Knight of the Clow ❯ Chapter 6

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Sakura: Knight of the Clow: Six

Sakura raised her key-staff, watching as the Harpy stumbled, bird-like legs barely holding it up. Wings stretched from it's back but oddly the front of the monster looked like a beautiful young woman. She looked at Sakura with those golden eyes, a silent appeal that she spare her.

'This thing has been killing kids,' Sakura reminded herself firmly, her short brow hair ruffled a bit by the slight evening breeze. Her new costume in black and gray was surprisingly comfortable, despite all of the fancy ruffles, even incorporating her old cloak, and it was all a gift of the woman who watched behind her.

Keeping a safe distance Tomoyo stood there in the shadows, with the latest in mini-videocameras focused on Sakura. She had insisted on coming along in exchange for keeping her silence about Sakura's adventures and she had been forced to agree.

The Harpy turned to try to take off and Sakura moved forward swiftly. She twisted her staff, the sword sliding free, then overtook the creature before it could take off. She leapt, sword flashing, then sliced down into the thing's foul flesh. There was a burst of black blood and it collapsed into a mess of broken feathers and rotting meat, the stench driving them both backwards.

"Are you all right?" Tomoyo asked worriedly, the black haired young woman looking at Sakura in honest concern.

"I got splatted," Sakura held up her messed up sleeve, "other than that I'm fine." She cleaned her sword blade off then slid it into it's sheath with a soft rasp.

Tomoyo's eyes glittered happily and Sakura felt an odd sinking feeling. "Oh good," Tomoyo beamed, "I get to dress you again."

"Are you sure you didn't want a life-sized Barbie doll when you were growing up?" Sakura asked as they walked back to the car.

Tomoyo just chuckled softly. She stowed the camera away then pulled out a second version of the overcoat, helping Sakura pull the messed up coat off then sliding the new one on. She tidied the collar of the coat, her fingers lingering as she said, "You look good."

Sakura blushed slightly, smiling back at Tomoyo. "I'm surprised you could so quickly make up this costume for me," she said.

Tomoyo raised an eyebrow and smirked as she answered, "Who's to say it's the only costume I've made for you?"

"Hoee?" Sakura blinked.

"So do you think there's going to be any more trouble tonight?" Tomoyo asked cheerfully, leaning up against the side of the black car.

"I don't think so," Sakura said, still blushing a bit as she continued, "usually there's only one creature a night, though why I don't know."

"Interesting," Tomoyo whipped out a notepad and jotted that information down. "I'll ask Rika to look into that, too," she put the notes away. She waved Sakura to the passenger's side as she climbed in, "Where too?"

"Could we swing by the museum?" Sakura asked with a slight smile as she climbed in. She smiled wryly, "I like to check up on it when I go out."

"Why not," Tomoyo started up the car and they were off.

"Thanks," Sakura sighed, leaning back as she focused her will and murmured softly, the battle staff shrinking down again into the pendant that she wore around her neck.

Tomoyo kept her gaze turned to the road as she softly asked, "I wonder where the monsters are coming from?"

"I read something in my Grandmothers diaries from when she was Knight," Sakura said as she unclipped her cloak, folding it up in her lap, "she thought they were a manifestation of human evil, given form by wells of dark magic."

The traffic lights lit up Tomoyo's face as they moved through the dark Tokyo streets. "So it won't be easy to get rid of them," she said.

Sakura reached up to touch her pendant, the ornate key catching the light. "Except one at a time," she agreed.

They pulled up in front of the museum, Sakura climbing out of the car to look at the building thoughtfully. It was quite modern, but the architecture was all modeled after that of the ancient Greeks and Romans. The great stone pillars rose up around them, supporting the museum roof, and the front steps gleamed like polished glass.

Tomoyo got out first, looking up at the regal building. "It's beautiful, even at night," she remarked softly.

"Yeah, it is," Sakura said, climbing out beside her. Her hair was blown back by the night breeze as she murmured, "I don't know why, but I find visiting here comforting."

"I guess so," Tomoyo answered, turning to look at Sakura thoughtfully.

"What?" Sakura asked curiously.

"I've only seen you use the Windy so far," Tomoyo said, "what is the other card you have? And why don't you use the cards more often?"

"Like tonight," Sakura said quietly. "The cards have spirits, wills all their own, and the Windy isn't all that tame," she explained.

"It might disobey you?" Tomoyo blinked.

"It hasn't yet," Sakura looked up, the moonlight shining down, "but that doesn't mean it won't decide to some day."

"And the other card?" Tomoyo repeated.

"The Fly card," Sakura actually smiled fondly as she continued on, "it's not the most useful card in battle but it's enjoyable to use." She drew a Clow Card from the inside of her shirt as she said, "Do you want to see?"

"Of course!" Tomoyo laughed.

Sakura held the card thoughtfully a moment, her concentration focused, then she tossed it up into the air. "Fly Card!" she cried, "Become wings to carry me! Fly!"

The card dissolved into light as Tomoyo gasped in alarm. The energy congregated at Sakura's shoulders, a burst of light and power reforming them into a pair of great white wings.

"It's beautiful," Tomoyo managed reverently.

Sakura offered her hand. "Shall we?" she asked gently.

Tomoyo didn't hesitate as she took Sakura's hand, surprised to feel those arms folding around her. Sakura held her tightly, then the wings stretched up before beating down, propelling them up into the air. "Incredible," Tomoyo gasped, clinging to her.

"Look," Sakura said softly.

Tomoyo opened her eyes, only then realizing that she had clamped them shut. Below them the car and museum shrank, the city stretching out around them. Tokyo tower shone in the distance, the roads lit like glowing arrows around the city. The few people and vehicles looked like toys down below them, moving back and forth on their business.

"I've never...." Tomoyo murmured.

"This is the first time I've shared this view with someone," Sakura said to her softly, "I've always done this all alone."

Tomoyo looked down a moment at the glowing city then up at Sakura's face. "I'm honored," was the best she could manage.

Apparently it was the right thing to say as Sakura's face lit up in a happy smile. "I'm glad," she answered, gently bringing the two of them back down to the ground. As she touched down the wings seemed to explode into a cloud of feathers, coming together as the card once more.

"You certainly know how to liven up a date," Tomoyo looked at Sakura with a impish smile, "but what are you going to do on our next one?"

Sakura just laughed.

Atop the museum he stepped from the shadows as the two women climbed into the car and drove away. His whitish hair blew in the breeze, the matching wings stretching up to the night sky. His robes in blue gave him a noble air, his hawklike eyes narrowed in thought.

"Not what I expected," Yue finally said, "not at all."

To be continued....