Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ Sakura: Knight of the Clow ❯ Chapter 7

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Sakura: Knight of the Clow: Seven

Kaho Mitsuki studied the freshly printed article in the paper, nodding to herself slightly. Last evening's battle with the harpy was vividly described, the still photos catching the danger of the battle and the details of the Knight's victory. There were still no photos of the young woman's face, but you couldn't have everything.

"Nicely done," Kaho looked up, her long brown hair flowing over her shoulders.

"Thanks boss," Tomoyo Daidouji smiled back at her editor warmly, her black hair falling slightly into her face.

Kaho studied her covertly, then looked back down at the paper. "The Knight's proven to be popular with our readers," she noted, "so try to keep bringing the stories in." She set the paper aside, "Any luck on the background search?"

"Some," Tomoyo answered quite promptly. "I had Rika doing some digging and it seems this sort of thing has been happening here in Tokyo for the last hundred years, at least," she relayed eagerly, dark eyes sparkling..

Kaho raised her eyebrows in honest surprise as she sternly asked her, "And no one's ever commented on this before?"

Tomoyo just shrugged, keeping her cool. "Most people who saw the monsters are simply dismissed as crackpots or nutcases," she explained mildly, "and it's not that obvious until you start connecting all the reports."

"Makes sense," Kaho conceded. She looked thoughtful, "I don't think we'll include that in the articles just yet, let's keep going back."

"Got it," Tomoyo nodded.

"I just wish we knew why," Kaho murmured to herself as she looked down at the photos again. Tomoyo looked confused at that so Kaho elaborated, "Why does the Knight choose to do this and why are these monsters here?"

"There's one thing I noticed in the research," Tomoyo added hesitantly. Kaho looked at her curiously and she continued, "The frequency is gradually going up over the years until now there's a monster attack every few nights."

"Building towards something?" Kaho mused aloud.

"Could be," Tomoyo agreed.

"Keep on it," Kaho said, dismissal clear in her tone of voice, "this Knight thing could be a even bigger story than we realized."

"I'll do my best," Tomoyo said as she left the office.

Kaho sat back in her chair, her sleek business suit hugging her body as she studied the woman walking into the bullpen. 'Tomoyo's holding something back,' Kaho mused, 'something big.' She wanted to press her on it, find out what was going on, but she was patient. She suspected Tomoyo would tell her eventually, or circumstances would reveal what was going on.

She looked up at the clock and Kaho shook herself, getting up out of her chair and then striding out of the office herself. "I'll be back in two hours," she calmly instructed her secretary before leaving the newspaper building and climbing into her car.

"Yes ma'am," Mei-Lin agreed, the younger Asian woman hiding a smile.

The drive out to the edge of town was quiet as Kaho considered whom she was about to see, hiding a rising surge of excitement. She pulled in front of the mansion's gates and rang the bell, announcing herself to the staff. The gates swung open and Kaho walked in, following the well remembered path up to the house itself.

"Ms. Mitsuki," the maid took the coat from her shoulders and hung it up on a rack, "the lady of the house is waiting for you in the sunroom."

"Thanks," Kaho smiled as she walked down the hallway, pointedly ignoring the black clad lady who shadowed her step by step. The woman who lived here was very careful about her privacy, quite understandably so Kaho thought.

The sun room's arching glass ceiling let in the summer sun, lighting up the place with a golden brilliance. Comfortable couches and chairs were set up around a circular pattern and a table was set for some casual snacking. The short haired woman looked up happily at Kaho's entrance to teasingly say, "About time you got here."

"Sorry about that, Sonomi," Kaho answered, "I got held up by your darling daughter bringing me yet another scoop."

Sonomi chuckled, "I see."

Sonomi Daidouji walked over to swiftly pull Kaho into a warm hug and she found herself studying the slim woman. Dressed in the finest suits she looked wonderful, but there was also a gentle sorrow in her eyes. She was very physically fit, with a body that Kaho often found herself thinking about guiltily, but more importantly she had a powerful presence. The woman could take over a room as easily as she derailed Kaho's thoughts.

"Don't give me that," Kaho said with warm amusement, "I know how proud you are of her." Sonomi lead her over to a couch where they both sat, "Have I thanked you lately for talking me into taking Tomoyo on?"

"Yes but you can always do that again," Sonomi smirked, "I could use the ego boost." More seriously she said, "I suspect you would have hired her anyway, though."

"Maybe," Kaho shook her head, "maybe not. At the time I was worried about a possible conflict considering we're friends."

"You haven't told her about us, have you?" Sonomi frowned, sitting up from her casual slouch there beside Kaho.

"No, though I think I probably should," Kaho said. She smiled grimly, "If Tomoyo finds out she'll be upset with both of us."

"I know," Sonomi sighed. She shifted, leaning her head on Kaho's shoulder as she murmured, "I wish I didn't have to keep this a secret."

"Me, too," Kaho answered, gently wrapping her arm around Sonomi's shoulders, "but the board of your company would have a fit." She smiled, "So how's Tomoyo doing?"

"Oh?" Sonomi said innocently.

Kaho laughed. "I know you have your people keeping an eye on her," she said, "and I'm pretty sure Tomoyo knows about it."

"Probably," Sonomi acknowledged. She frowned slightly in worry, "She's been hanging around with a young woman lately, Kinomoto Sakura."

"They met through an article that Tomoyo wrote on her," Kaho offered, "she's an archeologist as well as the new assistant curator of the museum."

"I wonder if I should...?" Sonomi mused.

"Not unless you want her to think that you're some kind of match-making mother," Kaho teased her lover gently.

They sat there for a moment then Sonomi chuckled softly. "I don't think I expected to fall in love when I sent to your office to try and kill that story," she said. She smiled fondly, "You were completely unimpressed with me, as I recall."

"Not quite," Kaho laughed at the vivid memories. "I was terrified when the lead executive of Daidouji Conglomerate came in making threats," she quietly confessed, "but I just couldn't let myself compromise my ethics."

"You hid it well," Sonomi snuggled closer.

"Thank you," Kaho flashed a smile. "I was certainly surprised when I got the invitation to your next party," she mused.

"I couldn't get you out of my mind," Sonomi admitted, "especially how beautiful you looked when you told me off."

Kaho snickered. "Quite the first impression," she agreed, "you storming into my office red faced, eyes sparkling and cheeks red with anger. I was stunned."

"I'm just glad I got to know you," Sonomi looked up warmly into her eyes.

"Me, too," Kaho bent forward, gently pressing their lips together.

To be continued....