Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ Sakura: Knight of the Clow ❯ Chapter 12

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Sakura, Knight of the Clow: Interlude
 
Windy felt a fierce joy as she raced forward, arms outstretched. The young woman's eyes met hers, long reddish brown hair flowing along with the rough woolen cloak she wore, then the ancient staff appeared and Windy tried to flee, though she knew it was too late. Those hateful words rang out as the girl struck, the binding enchantment was triggered and she was sealed away, trapped in a place that was far too limiting to one such as her.
 
The mistresses changed as the years wet by but Windy dealt with them coldly. They had her obedience, such as it was, but never willingly. At the command of women of so many types and styles she fought against the beasts of the darkness, the creatures that hunted humanity. Letting her rage free Windy ripped into them, as she might have wished to do to her human captors.
 
Windy wasn't quite sure when she became aware of the little girl, the latest in her line. The child had snuck the Clow Cards out from her mother's room, playing with them out in the back yard of their house, and she looked with wonder at the images on the cards. Windy gazed up at that face and was oddly touched, somehow, by the kindness that seemed to radiate from her.
 
'Who is she?' Windy wondered.
 
"Sakura!" the child's smiling mother picked her and the two cards up, gently scolding her little girl for playing with the cards so openly.
 
"The cards are lonely," Sakura explained cheerfully as they went inside.
 
Windy felt a moment of pure shock, wondering at the powerful sensitivity of the little girl. From within her card Windy could almost feel the child's aura, the sense of mystical power and empathy that almost seemed to swirl around her. 'Could she be the next mistress?' Windy thought, feeling oddly pleased by the fleeting idea.
 
Night after night they went out, she and the older woman who was called Nadesico, battling against those that would threaten the peace. Oddly Windy found herself devoting more of her efforts to the fighting, trying to protect the one whom Sakura seemed to value. She didn't examine her motives, in truth she didn't want to think about it. But in the end... her efforts were in vain.
 
The ogre they faced was massive, towering over the two of them, and despite her best efforts it broke free of her grip to attack. Nadesico managed to slay the ogre with the sword concealed in the staff, but her injuries were too great. Windy carried her home, carrying her on the breeze even as she faced the horrified anger of her husband and eldest son. She felt the depth of their grief, and even more so the honest confusion of poor Sakura.
 
The next few years were quiet for Windy, remaining in her Clow Card as Sakura went to school, graduated university and traveled abroad. The only times she was called forth was, surprisingly, when Sakura wanted some company. Surrounded by strangers in a place unfamiliar to her Sakura seemed to find comfort in talking with Windy.
 
Even Windy herself was startled when one day the wind elemental began to talk to Sakura, speaking the first words that she had used in... many, many centuries. Reaching out instinctively to Sakura's loneliness she sought to give her comfort, even as her own loneliness was soothed by the young woman's warmth and caring.
 
As the University faded to academic life Sakura began to venture forth as the champion of the Clow cards and Windy was filled with fear. The death of Nadesico haunted her, but she gained confidence in working beside Sakura, seeing the young woman's strength and capability. Using just Windy and Fly they battled against the monsters that haunted the night, even as Windy felt her own emotions... beginning to change and deepen.
 
"Oh my lady," Windy murmured, her ghostly form flowing around as she gazed down at Sakura, sleeping peacefully in her bed. Slipping free of the Card wasn't too difficult, at least for short periods of time, and more and more she was drawn to do this.
 
Sakura had grown from child to woman before her very eyes, and what had once been merely a protective emotion in Windy had grown to something more powerful. This beautiful woman was the purpose for whom Windy existed, the one she valued and fought to protect, even though she didn't even fully understand why.
 
Windy reached out with her hand, stroking Sakura's bare cheek as she smiled fondly. 'Is this the feeling Clow Reed told us of,' she mused, 'is this love?' She didn't know, but Windy did know that whatever Sakura asked of her she would grant, whatever Sakura needed she would have.
 
Whatever the cost.
 
Windy dissolved, the tendrils of her form swirling to pour into her waiting Clow Card. Softly she whispered, "Sleep well, Sakura, I will watch over you," then she was gone.
 
********************
 
Windy could almost feel Sakura leap up to dodge a strike, nearly dancing in the air. From the currents that were carried on the night air she could tell that the thing that opposed them was big, nearly as tall as three men, it's body bulky and almost rocky in appearance.
 
Still safely sealed in her card Windy could sense other mortals out there, observing. 'Sakura, be careful,' Windy thought grimly.
 
Distracted a moment by the new arrivals Sakura turned in surprise, what could have been a fatal mistake. A backhand blow from the creature sent her flying away, hammering her right into a brick wall nearby the two newspaper reporters, where she slid limply to the ground.
 
Windy nearly exploded from the card, but she restrained herself as she watched with fury as one of the mortals cried out in alarm. She so wanted to join the battle, but she also knew that the choice had to be Sakura's. Instead she watched, simmering with emotions.
 
"No," the black haired woman murmured as she ran towards where she lay. "Sakura?" the stranger quickly recognized her.
 
"Hooee?" Sakura blinked up at her dazedly.
 
"Sakura, are you all right?" Yukito cried out as he ran over.
 
'I know him,' Windy realized as she sensed the boy, a familiar aura that had lingered in Sakura's life, 'he is the one with Toya. How did he get here?'
 
Sakura shook her head, the motion shaking Windy lightly as the girl tried to clear away some of the cobwebs. "I'm fine," she used Tomoyo's hand to pull herself up, swaying just a bit. The creature ran at them again and Sakura shoved the others backwards with a cry, "Get behind me!"
 
A heavily muscled arm came down at them, cutting through the air with a weight that nearly made Windy wince only to be blocked by that odd, bird designed staff. They stood there frozen for a moment, the creature straining to crush Sakura and the others, then the slim brown haired heaved with her shoulders to send the monster staggering away.
 
"I didn't want to use this," Sakura drew Windy from beneath her cloak, "but you leave me with no choice." Windy's heart sang as she held still for a second, the black clad figure oddly meditative, then she was tossed up into the air.
 
"Windy card!" Sakura brought her bird designed staff down onto the card, light flaring brightly as she continued, "Become the chain of punishment and bind my enemy. Windy!"
 
With an eagerness only matched by her anger Windy was freed, soaring up in a cloud of mist and swirling air currents. She took a moment to study the two mortals that had dared interfere with her mistress, the black haired woman and Yukito. She paused, giving them a regal glance, a slight smile appearing on her face as she gazed at Sakura. Then she turned, swooping down on the creature and binding it with her substance, forming bonds of solid air.
 
Even as Windy struck she knew Sakura was on the move. Right behind Windy she ran at the creature, grabbing the base of her staff and twisting it slightly. With a steely hiss she drew forth a silvery blade, the bird's head on the handle becoming the sword's hilt, even as she leapt gracefully. A single downward stroke of the weapon, a burst of black blood, and it was over.
 
The Windy released her ghostly bonds, flowing free of the now dead creature. The previous guardians of Clow had all been good warriors, but few could have won the victory so very quickly. She frowned, seeing the blood that splattered Sakura and swept towards her mistress. Windy swirled about Sakura and the muck that had splattered the cloak and black clothing was simply gone, carried up and away by invisible hands.
 
Sakura smiled in gratitude and Windy felt her heart soar once again. 'For you,' Windy thought as she reached out a gentle hand to stroke along the side of Sakura's face, 'I would do anything.' With that Windy reluctantly returned to her card, the paper falling to settle into Sakura's hands once more.
 
Resting by Sakura's heart Windy was lulled to sleep, even as she felt the other mortals nearby. They traveled on, going farther and farther from the battle, as she listened to them talk. 'Do not harm my lady,' Windy directed her thoughts to them as she rested, 'or you will answer to me.'
 
To be continued....
 
Notes: More than one fan has suggested a chapter from the point of view of a Clow Card, so I thought I'd get into the relationship between Windy and Sakura. Part of this appeared in Chapter Two, but I hope I've revised the material enough to keep it interesting.