Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ Star Sanctity ❯ Chapter XI ( Chapter 9 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]




Star Sanctity




Star Sanctity
Chapter IX
by: the Lioness
I do not own any CSS or SW material. This story is purely for entertainment.

Two months later, Sakura gently landed her Fighter in its rack in the docking bay of the Destroyer. They had just attacked another Rebel outpost, a battle they had won with almost no losses. Taking off her mask she quickly got out of her Fighter.
"Not bad Kinomoto," Black 3 said as he walked up to Sakura. "Not bad."
"Thanks," Sakura replied knowing that 'not bad' from Black 3 was a major compliment.
"You coming down to the gym?" Black 3 asked.
"No," Sakura replied nervously. "Lord Darkim told me to see him once I came back."
"Okay," Black 3 replied icily before he turned around and left.
Shaking her head Sakura headed for Darkim's quarters, although she was coming to like learning about the Force more and more she disliked the consequences of the training. The other pilots had quickly become aware of the fact that she was spending a lot of time with Lord Darkim and they were staying away from her because of it. Another thing that bothered her was that she didn't know why Darkim was bothering with her so much. Surely, surely, there were more people with her ability and she was just a girl. Approaching Darkim's quarters she felt the Dark Lord's mind reach out and touch her mind.
That was another thing that bothered her, being this close to Darkim. There were times when she'd be eating or relaxing and that she would suddenly feel the Dark Lord's touch her mind. And, since she knew that Darkim could hide his presence from her, she was sure that the man was in her mind more often then she liked.
Entering Darkim's quarters as the door opened, she quietly walked to stand before her master.
"We shall continue working on your mental shields today my apprentice," Darkim stated.
Nodding her head Sakura sat down in the chair that she always used when she and her master worked on a part of the training that didn't require any physical actions. Her master seemed to put a heavy emphasis on the shielding of her mind although she didn't know why, there was no one else on board the Destroyer who had the ability to touch the Force so she wasn't in danger of having her thoughts read. Suppressing a sigh she raised her mental shields and waited to see where Darkim would a find a weakness.
A couple of minutes later Darkim pierced her shields and then, "You have a question," Darkim stated as he got up and walked over to Sakura, who immediately rose to her own feet.
"Yes master," Sakura hung her head, knowing that she couldn't lie. "Why do you brother with me so much, I mean surely there are others with the Force, and, well, I'm just a girl…" Sakura paused, not sure how to go on.
"The Force is present in few, and even fewer can use it," Darkim said so abruptly that Sakura was taken by surprised. "It is extremely rare to come across a Force sensitive perapprentice especially since…" Darkim stopped abruptly. Sakura refrained from asking for the rest. Lord Darkim never answered questions unless he had a reason to and it would be dangerous for her to ask.

Kinomoto tested her mental shields. Her master had instructed her to maintain them at all times. Sakura had even learned the skill to shield in her sleep. The shield was a firm, unbroken covering against mental intrusion. It wasn't perfect, her shield. The thickness varied, the form shifted, but it surrounded her.
Sakura sat at her desk, picking up the datacard that held the report about a rebel uprising on the other side of the Empire. Admiral Sharkin had responded to a minor uprising with a series of vicious planetary bombardments. He had been following the Emperor's direct orders, but had followed them with such enthusiasm and thoroughness that revolted Kinomoto. Sure, the rebels had to be put down, but how many loyal Imperial citizens had been killed, or their lives destroyed? Sakura noted with disgust that the Admiral had been promoted for his actions.
Sakura sighed. This Emperor she served had an unquenchable blood lust for revenge. Sakura tossed the datacard on the pile on the table. Her master had given her a whole group of reports to read in her spare time. Each status report was on a different part of the Empire, the uncensored versions held accounts of Imperial activities that the standard citizen would be appalled to learn. Sakura didn't even flinch at this latest Imperial atrocity. The pile of datacards was full of them, and they all had one thing in common. The Emperor had ordered them. Mass executions, planetary purges, it was the standard order of events for any rebel activity in an area. Sakura shook her head. This overactive 'discipline' stirred up more trouble than it put down. What was wrong with the Emperor? Even Sakura, with her limited experience, could determine that the Emperor was almost driving his subjects to rebellion. Sakura could even sense that Sygnif Darkim didn't approve of all the Emperor's actions, he went too far for the Dark Lord. Darkim wanted order, strict controlled order, not some blood soaked chaos labeled an Empire.
She stared at the pile of datacards again. Nothing she learned was without purpose. This was another riddle she had to figure out. Sakura marshaled what she did know: the Emperor was starting to tear his Empire apart, Sakura was being trained in secret, and Sygnif Darkim did not approve of the extent of the retributions brought against the people.
Which wasn't to say that the Dark Lord didn't approve of violence as a solution. Just two days ago they had attacked a rebel outpost and slaughtered the occupants down to the last sentient creature. Sygnif Darkim was more than efficient when it came to removing his opposition, permanently. It made Sakura wonder why her master hadn't done anything about the problem, even Sakura was beginning to see the necessity of a violent solution to the leadership problem in the current situation.
Sakura definitely wanted to fix the ailing Empire. It was a beautiful thing, the Empire. Warring worlds brought to peace. A vessel by which to purge the rotting Old Republic of its corruption. A place for Sakura to stand in glory.
Sakura let that last thought roll around in her head. She hadn't really given her path in life much thought before, she had only wanted to join the Fleet. She was more than in the Fleet now, she was controlling some of it, but what should she do with her power? The more she thought about it, the more she realized she was meant for better things than remaining Sygnif Darkim's wingman. She didn't mind standing behind her master, the Dark Lord. It felt right, following him. But Sakura didn't like standing in his shadow, unseen. The more she learned, the harder it was to pretend she was just another pilot. No one believed she was just another pilot anymore, but everyone continued the charade.
Sakura was sick of it. She wanted to drop the play-acting. Showing up to inspections, drills, and junior officer meetings was a waste of time. The senior officer of the Destroyer's Fighter squads, Wing Commander Janersen, took pleasure in watching Sakura go through the motions of being her junior officer. Worse, Sakura felt she could command the squads better than the Wing Commander. She certainly wouldn't have kept that idiot Squad Commander Spidra around.
Spidra's impulsiveness continued to endanger her squad. Her short-sighted orders in the last battle had exposed her squad to unnecessary risks, which had resulted in the death of four members of her squad. Sakura pulled the datacard off her desk with the computer readouts of the last battle.
'Spidra's dangerous, she should be removed.' Sakura looked up at the pile of datacards outlining the Emperor's mistakes. 'If she's so dangerous, why hasn't she been removed?' Sakura wasn't thinking about Spidra. Why hadn't her master taken care of the Emperor? Kinomoto knew that the Dark Lord wouldn't have any moral problems killing anybody that threatened his beloved Empire. So what was holding him back?
Sakura leaned back in her chair, pondering. She absently checked her shields. 'Still holding, for whomever out there can actually use the Force. Not that they're on this ship…' Sakura came up short, cursing herself. Sometimes she could be so blind to the obvious.
Sakura gently probed out. She could ask her master right now. She had a right to know, this was important. Lord Darkim was flipping through yesterday's battle report, it was safe to interrupt her.
'Master…'
'Yes, my apprentice?' Sakura got the eerie feeling Darkim knew the question she was going to ask.
'Master, how powerful in the Force is the Emperor?' Sygnif Darkim smiled behind a mental shield. His apprentice sure got to the point fast.
'More powerful than I am.' Darkim's tone was dry. Would his apprentice finish this line of the conversation?
'More powerful than both of us?'
'Meet me on the bridge.'
Sakura stood, straightened her uniform, and set off for the bridge. She had never been there before. After a long ride, the lift doors opened, revealing an oval room, the sides filled with officers at terminals. The Dark Lord stood at the far side at the viewport, back to the room, overlooking the stars.
Admiral Choas looked up, recognition flashing across his face at the unexpected visitor. He glanced at the Sygnif Lord. Admiral Choas wished that Sygnif Darkim would give him some clue as to how he was to respond to the young woman's presence. Choas didn't become an Admiral under Sygnif Darkim without realizing that the Dark Lord did many things that were completely unexplainable, and that he was never to question a single one of the Sygnif Lord's actions. It wasn't healthy.
"Black 2, come here." The mechanical voice rasped, carried across the bridge. As Sakura strode across the room, she noticed the glances of surprise from the officers around the bridge. Fighter pilots did not come on the bridge. As she neared Darkim, she noticed that the Dark Lord had modified his personal shields, letting a dark cloud of fear out, keeping his private thoughts in. Sygnif Darkim used the Force to instill absolute terror in his subordinates. The Dark Lord deliberately took a step to the side, making room for Black 2.
Sakura stepped up to the viewport, glanced at her master, and then joined him in staring at the stars.
Darkim began to silently talk to his apprentice, through the Force. 'There are thousands of worlds in the Empire. The Emperor would destroy that. He would create a bunch of warring factions- warlords and the Rebellion, at each other's throats for centuries. His lust for absolute power is driving him insane, he has become unable to rule well. But he is powerful in the Force. More powerful than me, more powerful than you, more powerful than us. For now. When you have learned all that you need, we will strike. He will fall, I will be Emperor. Order will be restored.'
'And what of your wingman?' Sakura wanted to know. She had to know, did her master really care, or was she just a tool? What was her place in this future order?
Sakura felt a ripple of dark amusement from her master. 'What of my apprentice? She shall be my right hand. She will rule with me, be my heir. I will introduce her to the galaxy, change her name. No one will doubt her place.'
Sakura stared at the stars. Rule the Empire, the galaxy. She felt a growing dark joy at the idea. She would stand beside her master, and everyone would know. She liked the picture in her mind.
She let her master feel her acceptance of the plan. Darkim knew his apprentice had embraced his heart's desires as her own. Sakura turned to Sygnif Darkim and bowed, "Yes, my Lord." Darkim dismissed her with a nod, and Black 2 walked off the bridge.
Admiral Choas watched the seemingly insignificant Fighter pilot leave the bridge. That pilot had shown absolutely no fear of the Dark Lord. Sygnif Darkim had practically treated the young woman as an equal. Choas began to feel afraid. Something was going on, but he couldn't even try to find out what.

Sakura looked down at the metallic cylinder in front of her on her desk. She picked up one of the many tools spread around her and made a slight adjustment. Putting the tool down, she absently rubbed her fingers together. She concentrated through the Force, letting her sense slide over the circuits within. It was perfect. The black ebony body and handgrip was highlighted with a delicate maze of silver and gold circuitry. Sakura picked it up and thumbed it on.
SNAP- Hisss…Humm…
The meter long blood red blade illuminated her quarters with its muted glow. Sakura smiled, a long slow smile that never reached her eyes. She switched the blade off.
Sakura reached out, her master was awake… 'Master. It works.'
'Of course. Bring it here.'
Sakura got up, she headed for her master's quarters. It was the middle of the night, and most of the ship was asleep. Ducking into doorways and fuzzing the Storm trooper patrol's senses, no one saw her enter the Dark Lord's chambers.
No one ever saw her enter anymore. They held the training during the middle of the night, the Dark Lord never mentioning his favored 'Black 2'. They did this to lose any suspicion as Sakura came closer and closer to finishing her training. The Fighter commanders firmly believed that Kinomoto was in disgrace from something or other and Darkim did nothing to dispel that idea.
Sakura walked up to her master, and bowing low she presented her lightsaber. The Dark Lord took it, turning it in his hands. Each blade was different, the style and form, a reflection of the maker's hand. Sakura's blade was elegant, slender, graceful, and misleading. It looked almost too elegant, almost weak, but held a strong dark core. A perfect reflection of the double life his apprentice led.
"Now, I will teach you how to use this blade."

Sakura stepped away from her Fighter, she had been checking it over. She always rechecked the techs work, it was her life in that ship. She nodded at a passing commander, who just ignored her. Sakura buried her disgust. She really didn't want anyone close to her now. Her training was almost done, and it was getting harder and harder to pass without notice.
She walked across the docking bay, eyes flicking around. They came to rest on the strange sight that currently perched on the docking bay floor.
X-wings. Twelve of them, painted Imperial gray. Phantom Squadron was currently enroute to another training location, and the Destroyer was providing transportation. They would have been dropped off already, but then Lord Darkim had been called upon to root out a Rebel base in the nearby system.
Normally, the Imperial Military would send out probe droids, locate the base, and come in, guns blaring. But the Trailli System was different. It didn't have any planets, just four wide bands of large asteroids and planetoids. The rock had high metallic content, which made scanners next to useless. The large asteroids kept the Destroyer at bay, leaving only the small Fighter and bombers to make the attack. Attacking without the covering fire from the capitol ship was suicide. So they sat, waiting out the blockaded rebels.
Kinomoto walked past Phantom Squadron. Most Fighter pilots hated X-wings, and therefore avoided Phantom Squadron like a space plague. Commander Tenduo was sitting on a crate, playing cards with some of his squad.
"Commander Tenduo." Sakura put a smile on her face.
"Commander…" The grizzled man looked up.
"Kinomoto. I met you on Sachoonine, before the rebel attack on Evalin."
"Oh yeah. I remember. Commander Scath always said you'd go far." Tenduo smiled at Sakura.
"I'm surprised that they don't have you out there for training our pilots. You're much better than a simulator."
"I wouldn't mind, but the scanners can't tell us apart from the real thing. I wouldn't want an over-eager gunner taking us out."
"Indeed." Kinomoto looked at the clustered X-wings, tone thoughtful.
"Want us to deal you in?" Commander's tone was friendly, almost taking Kinomoto by surprise. Sakura locked eyes with the Commander, lightly probing his mind. She didn't sense any manipulation, so she looked away.
"No thank you. I'm busy." Kinomoto turned to go.
Tenduo felt an indescribable chill climb his spine. Something about how Kinomoto had looked at him, it reminded him of something… "Maybe next time." Tenduo watched the retreating figure.
One of Tenduo's squad leaned over. "Commander, you're nuts. That was 'Black 2', Sygnif Darkim himself is supposed to be extremely 'displeased' with her right now."
"I doubt that, if Sygnif Darkim was really upset at her, she wouldn't be walking around, she would have lost a head."

An idea rolled around in Sakura's head as she left the docking bay. Consumed by her own thoughts, she nearly missed the presence of Commander Spidra.
"Kinomoto, you ought to watch who you hang out with better." Spidra was leering, the Fighter pilots all thought Phantom Squadron was one step away from traitors. Spidra's squad trailed behind her, following their Commander's lead in holding Kinomoto in contempt. Except Saho and Quaret, they still held back from sneering at Kinomoto. It could be considered misplaced loyalty, but they still remembered that Kinomoto was a better Commander than Spidra would ever be.
Kinomoto ignored them all. They weren't worth her time. She might try to do something for Saho and Quaret, if the opportunity arose, but she had better things to worry about. She left the docking bay, tentatively reaching out for her master. She had an idea on how to break the stalemate.

Admiral Choas was reporting to Lord Darkim on the projected casualty figures for a frontal attack on the Rebel Base. The probe droids had located the base, but the rebels had a strong defensive position. Most of the pilots aboard the Destroyer would be lost.
Darkim told the Admiral what he wanted done. Admiral Choas was pleased. Intelligence had said that the rebels weren't sure what Imperial ships were out there, so the plan had a good chance of working.
"Yes, my lord. I will implement your orders immediately."
Darkim's reply was soft. "Oh no, Admiral. It's not my idea. A little black bird came and whispered in my ear." Darkim waved dismissal. It was very possible that his apprentice would be commanding this ship in a few short months, it would be best if the Admiral was…prepared…to take orders from his apprentice.
The Admiral bowed, hiding his surprise. 'Black 2' was apparently back in favor. The Admiral wondered how 'Black 2' had managed to regain her position. The Admiral further wondered how 'Black 2' had managed to survive in the first place.
The Destroyer hung in space, her bays empty. The Fighters and bombers had left her hours ago, to take up position.
A squad of X-wings ran through the Trailli system, two squads of Fighter fighters hot on their tails. They twisted and turned, dodging rocks and each other's lasers. Once in sensor range of the base, the lead X-wing hit his com, which had been tuned to rebel frequencies.
"Gray 1, this is Gray 1, is anyone out there?"
A pause. "Gray 1, this is base, what are you doing here?"
"Sorry to drop in unannounced. An indidicor cruiser grabbed my squad out of hyperspace between two sets of Fighters." Commander Tenduo grinned. 'Come here little fishy. Grab the bait. Save me from the big bad Empire.'
"Any other Imperials out there?"
"None that I saw. Can you guys lend a hand?"
Another pause. Commander Tenduo could just visualize the Rebel Commanders' hurried debate. "Base to Gray 1, assistance is coming."
"Thanks. We'll try to hold on till you get here." Commander Tenduo almost laughed. 'Stupid Rebels. You're sensors say 'X-wing' so I have to be one of yours.' Phantom Squadron was anything but a Rebel Squad. Tenduo nailed another Fighter with his stun bolts. The Fighter whipped behind an asteroid, cut power, and played dead. The metallic rock hid its continued existence. Commander Tenduo had never felt so proud to be an Imperial.
Suddenly, four squads of X-wings hurled out from the hidden Rebel Base. They had broken their own defenses to save their comrades in arms. But as soon as they approached visual range of the dogfight, the whole Gray Squadron turned tail and ran. The two attacking Fighter squads, ignoring the fleeing Grays, charged at the approaching X-wings.
It wasn't a fair fight, two squads of Fighters against four squads of X-wings, but the whole goal for the Fighters was to hold the X-wings till the reinforcements arrived.
Commander Spidra gritted her teeth as she plunged into battle. She had been given the 'honor' of commanding these squads in this suicidal mission. The worst part was the feeling that she had gotten during the briefing meeting, that Sakura, the little girl she used to pick on, was laughing at her. Having Saho and Quaret transferred from her squad immediately prior to the meeting had only raised her suspicions. But when she got back, she would make Kinomoto pay. She would…The X-wings' lasers cut through Spidra's ship, blowing her apart.
The remaining ten squads arrived, tearing from the large planetoid they had hidden behind. The tables had turned.
Sakura watched waited. She was waiting for the white ship. She knew that she was the only one who had a chance to defeat the pilot of the white ship, but she was not planning on killing the pilot, oh no. She was going to take him alive to her master and see what he thought should be done. Any one with such skill should not be wasted, even if he was a rebel, Darkim had taught her that. Sakura smirked, soon the Alliance will have lost their best pilot.
Suddenly another ship appeared into the melee. Sakura knew it was the white ship. She wasn't disappointed. With another smirk, Sakura chased after the ship.

Sakura pulled sharply out of her dive, pilots usually shot over her when she pulled that trick, putting her as the chaser. But this time she was wrong, the pilot followed after her, while firing a bolt. Sakura had to make a hasty twist to avoid the shot. This pilot was better than she had anticipated, they had been going like this for a while now. Perhaps last time the pilot was taken by surprise and didn't fight as well.
Another thing was that a lot of times, when she fired, he would fire back and their bolts would collide, or he would fire and she would fire back and the bolts would collide.
Sakura's nerves were getting rather raw, patience was not something that she had anymore. She decided to make a move that the pilot wouldn't be able to predict. She dived a little to give herself sometime, before turning around and shooting straight toward white ship like the time she was practicing against the Phantom squadron…
Syaoran was taken aback, what was that pilot think? They were going to collide! Syaoran swerved to the right hoping to avoid some of the impact, but he didn't have to worry about the collision. The pilot in the Fighter knew what he was doing, Syaoran had to give him that much.
Sakura flew close enough to the white ship to penetrate the left wing shield and then let loose a hail of bolts. The white ship's left wing burst into flames. Sakura smiled a slow smile, her eyes twinkling darkly.
As the white ship spun wildly and started a rapid descent to the green planetoid below, Sakura's ship blacked out. It did not seem impressed by Sakura's stream of curses and fell after the white ship. Finally Sakura relented from her curses and managed to land her ship on the planetoid without too many mishaps.
Sakura got out of her Fighter and looked around. She was surrounded by green bushes and trees. The ground was covered lush green moss. Sakura took off her helmet, it seemed safe enough. Stashing her helmet in her Fighter, Sakura touched her lightsaber, just to make sure it was there.
Sakura sat crossed legged on the moss, closing her eyes. She threw out her dark Force energy, seeing everything through it. She scanned the area, no danger signs…yet.
Sakura felt a suddenly tickling in the back of her mind…

End Notes: I'm sorry! I'm sorry! I know I took forever, but I was away from my computer for ten days. Anyway…Wow, Sakura has gotten really evil, :sob, sob: Can you imagine Sakura cursing?! Sorry, people probably liked Sakura better as her own innocent self, I know I did, but don't worry. I know last time that I said Syaoran would be a big part of this chapter, but I didn't have enough time and I didn't want to keep people waiting. (Syaoran does get a part in this chapter though and I promise, I really do promise, that Syaoran will get a big part in the next chapter).
Thank yous to TaTa, Negai, Manda-chan, NightinGale, cassie, Empress Sarah-sama, and syoran for reviewing Chapter Eight!
-the Lioness
July 19, 2001