Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ Stars Reborn ❯ Chapter Three ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Three
 
The room I woke up in was completely white. The bed, walls, curtains. Everything except the tatami floor was white. How boring. I hope Tomoyo-chan can brighten it up. “Tomoyo-chan. Where is she?”
 
I got up out of her bed and walked to the bedroom's window. I squinted in an attempt to see past the cities skyline and see the horizon. Didn't work. Instead I looked at the sky.
 
The sky was dark in every direction except for the area closest to the horizon line. Shades of pink, red and yellow were packed into the tiny area. Not a star could be seen in the sky despite the clear weather. The moon was almost full and glowed. Its light was dimmed because of the large amount of lights in the city.
 
It was obviously early evening which meant I hadn't eaten since early that morning. I was sure my stomach would appreciate a snack. It growled almost as if it were saying, “About time someone thought of me.” When I could see hands being thrown in the air out of exasperation I knew I should find food.
 
I walked merrily to my bedroom door, and opened it. I should have opened it slowly. I was blinded by light as soon as I swung it open.
 
When my eyes adjusted to the light, I saw Tomoyo sitting on a couch watching TV. About a foot away from her was a table set with two cakes and two dishes. Did she bring those on the plane or make them while I was sleeping? One cake was strawberry shortcake. The other was covered in chocolate icing and Kero.
 
Kero looked up and saw me. “Sakura!” he called flying over.
 
“I'm glad you're awake. Tomoyo said I couldn't have cake until you woke up,” he whined. “Why couldn't you wake up sooner?”
 
“And here I thought you were glad to see me.” I didn't realize the edge to my voice until I finished speaking.
 
Kero returned my comment with a glare. I returned the stare and the glaring contest began. We were forehead to forehead when Tomoyo told Kero he could have the cake now.
 
“Woo-hoo!” Kero cheered. He flew in a loop onto the chocolate cake and took a bite. “Tomoyo always makes the best sweets,” he praised. What an ingrate.
 
I sat on the floor in front of the table and cut a piece of the strawberry shortcake before Kero could migrate and eat that too. I moved a piece of the cake around on my plate deep in thought. Asking Tomoyo why she was here would be rude at the least. How do I ask her without giving the impression that I don't want her here?
 
I was ripped out of those thoughts by Tomoyo's quiet chuckle. “If there's something you want to ask just say it. Don't worry about my feelings. After all, nothing you say could hurt me.”
 
How does she do that? “I've tried to figure it out but I can't. Why are you here Tomoyo-chan?”
 
“That day you ran off from school you came back looking anxious. Throughout class you kept looking at the clock. That was unusual so I followed you when classes ended. I was surprised when you snuck off to guidance. You walked like you were running from the police.” She laughed.
 
“I waited until you finished your business then went in myself. The secretary was…reluctant to tell me what you had been in there for. After a couple minutes alone with her she would have told me everything I wanted and more. I decided then and there that there was no way I was letting my Sakura-chan go off to Hong Kong alone so I got the same program forms as you.
 
“I thought my cover was blown when you walked into me after you left the office. It was lucky for me that you were so absorbed by your plans,”
 
“That was you?”
 
“Yes.”
 
“Really?”
 
“Yes.”
 
This right here proved that there's something to be said about being down to earth.
 
“Now that we're here, what do we do? There's still two weeks until school.”
 
“That's easy. Tomorrow we start filming `Sakura's Hong Kong Adventure.' One girl's attempt at escape and relaxation. Seeing the sights, the city's history and ancient culture s—It'll be a hit!”
 
“That's…great.” Not so much. How did I not see that coming? I guess it's not so bad. She could have a crazy costume for me.”
 
“You'll need a costume. I'll have to take your measurements—“
 
If I could make it to my room I'd be safe. I forced out a yawn. “Boy, am I tired. I'll just head off to bed now.”
 
“But you just woke up, Sakura,” Kero said. “You're not trying to run are you?”
 
Damn him. He enjoys my suffering too much. “Not at all. The flight just took more out of me then I thought. See you two in the morning.”
 
Just five steps. Three. Two. One. I closed my door and leaned against it for support. Safe! If only I could be safe for the rest of my life.
 
* * * *
 
“Don't you have enough footage yet?” I asked. It came out more as a babyish whine than a question. “You've filmed me buying my school uniform and food, eating food, walking, and window shopping. What else is there?”
 
“I'll know what else there is when I film it. If you wanted to make things more interesting you could use Kero as a dummy and put on a street show.”
 
She couldn't be serious. She already had me walking around in Chinese fighting clothes. I was a street show as it was.
 
She smiled with an unnerving twinkle in her eyes. “Don't worry Sakura-chan. I couldn't make you do such a thing.” It looked as if she was seriously considering trying though.
 
“Sakura,” Kero called form Tomoyo's purse.
 
“Is something wrong Kero-chan?” I asked. “You've been quiet for a while now. It's not like you to not complain when you're stuffed into our bags.”
 
“We should head back to the apartments. It's getting dark and something in the air isn't right.”
 
“What do you mean?”
 
“Have you ever heard the saying, `Red sky in the morning is a Shepard's warning. A red sky at night is a Shepard's delight'?”
 
“What does a farmer's saying have to do with anything?”
 
The roots of that saying are of magic. The colour of the sky was said to tell whether the day would be filled with danger or good fortune. Today at dawn the sky was ruby red. I'm not sure what this is or what's causing this disturbance. It's best that we settle in for the night where it's safe.”
 
For the past half hour the sky had been a vibrant orange. Now it was quickly darkening with more stars visible each second. Now that I thought about it, everyone on the streets had rushed home. It could be a coincidence or it could be a survival instinct buried deep in the subconscious. Even though the people couldn't sense the danger, they went for safety without knowing why.
 
I looked up and met Tomoyo's gaze. One look told me she was thinking the same thing I was.
 
“We better hurry to get back before it gets much darker.”
 
Everything after that meshed together. We were running, but the ground beneath my feet seemed to soften.
 
Before I had time to loose my footing I was being called. I knew magic was doing all this which meant I would be able to stop it. In the second it took for me to recognize that fact, it was too late for me. The spell had me in its claws. It was dragging me to its caster. The same aura I had spent so much time running from was what I was now running to.
 
I turned the corner. Somewhere in the back of my mind I recognized Kero and Tomoyo calling after me. There was a fiery light behind me. When it disappeared so did the sound of their feet chasing me.
 
Kero flew up beside me in his true form, Tomoyo on his back. “What are you doing, Sakura?”
 
Words came out of my mouth without my consent. “I have to go.”
 
“Make room for Sakura. Wherever she's going, there's no stopping her. We'll have to make sure she stays safe.” He must have been talking to Tomoyo.
 
“Get on, Sakura. We'll take you where you need to go.”
 
“Good.”
 
I had no clue where I was going, yet I knew exactly where I was supposed to be. That place was the rooftop of one of the tallest buildings. I turned to where I somehow knew my caller was.
 
A cloaked figure stepped forward from the shadows to join me on the rooftop.
 
As soon as I had control of my body the cloak figured drew a sword and leapt at me.
 
My eyes widened in fear. Why was I always forced into these situations? I never wanted this fight. I never wanted any of this.
 
When Kero tackled pushed me aside it felt like a boulder had been thrown my way. He pressed his body against mine as he protected me from the strike of my opponent.
 
He opened his wings which sent the figure back.
 
“Do something, Sakura!” he roared.
 
What? What do you want me to do? I got up and ran.
 
I may have been one of the quickest runners back at Seijo, but I was no match for my attacker. They moved with the grace and speed of a skilled martial artist. Their abilities with the sword made my cause more pathetic than it already was.
 
The blade was raised. I had to do something. Anything was better than what I was doing now.
 
I tripped.
 
The edge of the blade landed a foot from my head. I gulped at the sight of it. If I hadn't tripped that blade would be gleaming with my blood.
 
“The key! Use the key, Sakura-chan!” Tomoyo called from the side. You could hear her tears in her voice.
 
My hand instantly shot for the chain around my neck. I scrambled to my feet. It was now or never.
 
“Key that holds the power of the stars, reveal your true form before me! I, Sakura, command you under our contract. Release!”
 
The familiar surge of power flowed though my body as the key changed into the staff. It filled me with courage and gave me the moment of peace I needed to get my thoughts in order.
 
The sword was flying for my chest. To defend myself I held the staff in the way of the blade. I pray that Kero was right when he said the staff can't break.
 
It held and I was allowed to be the master of the cards for another minute.
 
The attacks kept coming. There wasn't enough for me to counter in between strikes.
 
“Don't let yourself get cornered!” Kero yelled before shooting a ball of fire at the cloaked figure.
 
They dodged the attack so well that the only damage they took was singed sleeves.
 
I had to think. I was up against a sword master and skilled martial artist. They seemed to fly when they moved. It was as if they never touched the ground.
 
That was it!
 
“Kero! I need you to cover me!”
 
Without waiting for an answer I raised the staff in front of me and called forth the cards I needed.
 
“Fight! Sword! Fly! Grant me your strength and skills! Release!”
 
Fight to defend myself, sword for offense, and fly to catch me when I fall. With these three at my side I should stand a chance of finishing this once and for all.
 
The cloaked figure laughed. Not the response I was hoping for.
 
“Now this is getting interesting.” Their voice was distorted. I couldn't tell if it was a boy or a girl.
 
They dropped their sword on the ground. “I never needed this to win and still don't.”
 
Before leaping into battle with the cloaked person I turned to Kero. “Protect Tomoyo.”
 
Fighting with the cards powers was an amazing feeling. I knew what to do without thinking about it. It felt as if this kind of thing was second nature.
 
Unfortunately, whereas I reacted, the attacker planned. Every move they made forced me into a corner I never saw. Each new blow they landed hurt more than the previous.
 
During the fight we'd migrated toward a more historic and residential part of town. If you wanted to find the building we started at, all you had to do was follow the path of destruction left behind. If this battle didn't end soon, these pieces of history would end up like the buildings before it.
 
As I fly in one space I felt the world spin. Every part of my body ached. I could barely lift my left arm. My right lay lifeless at my side.
 
My attacker barely had a scratch.
 
In the time it took for me to blink I had been kicked in the gut and sent plummeting to the roof below me.
 
My vision blurred and the staff returned to normal. Sword flew to the safety of my pocket.
 
Kero flew over with Tomoyo on his back.
 
“Hold on, Sakura!”
 
“We're coming!”
 
Each one of their pleads was like a punch to the gut. Their worry and suffering was my fault. It was always my fault.
 
Before they could reach me Kero flew into a barrier. They wouldn't be able to save me this time.
 
I forced myself to get up. I had to keep going.
 
I flew into the air to put space between us and held the staff in front of me.
 
“Stay back!” I ordered.
 
The figure chuckled.
 
“You stalk me in my hometown! Now when I'm trying to find peace you attack me.” I could feel my temper rising. I was losing control of something inside me and I could feel it gathering in the staff.
 
“I'm not going to take it anymore! Once I'm through with you, you'll wish you never discovered me!”
 
I waved the staff toward her as if it was a weapon. “Never!” I screamed.
 
Something snapped inside me and what little control I had left was gone. A great energy shot itself to the head of the staff. There was a blinding white light created by the energy, followed by a cracking sound.
 
When the light settled, the head of the staff shattered. It couldn't be. Kero said the staff was unbreakable. If the staff broke then I wouldn't be able to call on the cards. I was left defenseless.
 
My attacker used my distraction to their advantage.
 
I couldn't register what was going on anymore. I felt a sharp pain at my side and went hurtling toward the ground.
 
I never felt the impact of my landing. I was unconscious before I touched ground.
 
* * * *
 
A/N: I'm not dead and this chapter proves I'm far from. No Shaoran in this one. Sorry to disappoint folks. The story continues, don't give up hope yet. Please R&R. I love hearing what you, the readers, have to say about my story. What you thought, what you liked, what you didn't, I want to hear it all. Anyway, hope you all enjoyed this one.
 
~Kelso~