Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ Stars Reborn ❯ Chapter 6 ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
Chapter Six
 
(….) = my thoughts and or comments.
 
The first day of school as a new kid. Not only a new kid but a transfer student. It's the day every kid looks forward to in their life. After all, nothing clears the sinuses like a room full of judging eyes and already made assumptions with matching rumours. For all I new the kids in this Chinese school thought Tomoyo and myself were attached at the hip and duller than a new pencil.
 
With all that waiting for us beyond these classrooms door, now seemed to be the best time to be lost in the past. Maybe with some luck I'd stay there. If magic was real then why not?
 
Not the best idea. I shuddered thinking of the day Tomoyo and I had been reunited.
 
It appeared that while I was gone Tomoyo hadn't just been looking for me. To make a long story short: I walked into the door of mine and Tomoyo's apartment and I didn't recognize anything. The flooring was the same but it had been polished to the point it became a mirror. I had to do a double take when I realized that.
 
My room was no longer bare. In fact it was eerily similar to my room back home in Japan.
 
Tomoyo's was a different story. Quite frankly it startles me every time I walk in. Pictures from all of my adventures with the clow cards and Eriol were plastered on every available surface. Dresser, headboard, bulletin boards, you name it. There was one wall that was preserved for Tomoyo to project her movies onto.
 
I still don't understand where she installed that projector. The movies just seem to come from the opposite wall itself.
 
Touya and Yukito were there through their own transfer. Things were already looking…colourful.
 
`Onii-chan? How come you and Yukito-san are in Hong Kong too?'
 
`We're here to make sure you don't get yourself into trouble! It's a good thing too! How long were planning on staying with that brat?'
 
`Until Tomoyo found me…?' I squeaked.
 
`What?! And what if she never came?!' The volcano erupted.
 
`Sakura would have lived happily ever after with the Li clan leaving me to fend for myself on the streets,' Kero muttered in Tomoyo's bag. Said bag owner giggled while I blushed.
 
`What was that?' Touya said.
 
`W-What was what?' I said. The situation was getting tenser with each thought voiced.
 
`A squeaky voice. What are you hiding?'
 
Yukito sensed this conversation was starting to dance on the line of secrets between us siblings and intervened
 
. `Calm down, Touya. If you're not careful you'll scare Sakura off, and then what'll you do?' Touya stopped to consider this. `Besides, Sakura's here and she's safe. You shouldn't live in what-ifs. If you do you'll ruin yourself.
 
`Why don't we head over to our apartment and forget about this. Then tomorrow the four of us can go out and celebrate.” Thank Clow for Yukito and Yue!
 
There was reluctance in Touya as he spoke. `Fine. On one condition. You never see that kid again.'
 
My insides shriveled.
 
`Okay.'
 
That one word cleared so much in my mind. This sudden clarity was far from good. Take someone who'd been stomped on by an elephant and that was how good this was.
 
With the clarity came a nagging voice. Constantly questioning my actions and how they affected others or what effect they would have. I decided to name her the hag.
 
Unlike me, Touya was satisfied with my answer. The faith and trust he had in me didn't waver. `Good. If you need anything, Yuki and I are in apartment 1136. I'll see you tomorrow, Kaijuu.'
 
`Room 1136, got it. See you tomorrow, Onii-chan.' They were on the floor below us.
 
The pair left and I was in Tomoyo's embrace.
 
`I can't do it, Tomoyo-chan. He was so broken. Always and I never saw. Everyone. Always broken. Always because of me, and I never saw. Because of me.' I sobbed my throat raw and Tomoyo stood there through it all. Even though what I spoke didn't make sense I hoped somehow she would understand what I had begun to realize.
 
Somehow she did.
 
I had suddenly seen it all so clearly. I was always hurting someone or putting them in danger. Shaoran had always saved me even at the risk of his life. I had always let Tomoyo come to card captures without an argument—those things were so dangerous! All those times I'd disappeared or left Touya with The Mirror.
 
How had I never realized? Could someone really be that oblivious?
 
My epiphany got to the point where all I heard was Touya's condition and my response. All I could see Shaoran's face as I left his house earlier that day. Both of them played along side each other.
 
The thought of not seeing Shaoran now that he was so close made me feel dead. While seeing Shaoran could destroy Touya's trust in me.
 
You realize what's going to happen, don't you? The hag said.
 
`I'm going to break one of them or leave the other in pieces,' I answered out loud.
 
Kaijuu.
 
That clarity hadn't left me yet. It made the thought of stepping into that class harder than it would have been years ago.
 
But over the last month the hag, my new clarity, and I have begun to learn how to coexist. The hag, I found out, was similar to Meilin. It was loud, sure of itself, perceptive, and not afraid to belittle me. She definitely made life interesting.
 
“We have two new students, class.” That was our cue. Tomoyo and I opened the class door and walked in.
 
A pen dropped in the class.
 
“May I introduce—“
 
Someone stood and slammed their hands on their desk. “Daidouji-san?! Kinomoto-san?!”
 
It was Meilin. Next to her in the back row was Shaoran, a pen on the floor next to his desk.
 
Can't say I saw this coming. Score one for the universe. It sure got me this time.
 
“You four know each other? That makes things easier. Kinomoto and Daidouji, you will sit in front of the Li's.
 
“Li's, you will act as guides for these girls. It will be your job to make sure they learn the ways of the school and class, and make sure they aren't having troubles communicating and understanding. Got it?”
 
“Got it.”
 
“Yes, sir.”
 
It was funny. For some reason the class gave Meilin and Shaoran their space. All the desks around them were empty. Meeting Shaoran's eyes, I had an idea of why that was.
 
Before I could ensure my safety and sit in front of Meilin, Tomoyo snagged the seat. The two looked like they were planning something. Now that I thought about it, they had that look on their face a lot during fifth grade and sixth grade summer.
 
Sitting in that seat in front of Shaoran sealed the deal on my day of hell.
 
All day I could feel a burning glare on my back. It made me feel like I was in fourth grade again. I sat there half expecting Shaoran to yell at me for possession of the clow cards, just like old times.
 
Didn't happen. Scary thing is that I would have preferred that.
 
At lunch I spared his wrath by Meilin. She forcefully dragged him away; Shaoran was glaring in my general direction the whole time. If I'd learned anything during my time with those two it was that Shaoran was in for a massive lecture. If you could call it that.
 
“Don't worry, Sakura-chan. I'm sure Meilin-chan will keep Li-kun in check,” Tomoyo said to sooth my nerves.
 
“You're right, Tomoyo-chan. In fact, I'll bet that when they come back things will be much better!” I said with sudden enthusiasm. Universe two, Sakura zero.
 
When Shaoran came back he was just as angry if not angrier than before. For the remainder of the day a forest burned to ashes on my back. With nothing left alive to shield me, I would fall to whatever hurricane of fury, he would unleash on me. The worst part was I didn't even know why he was angry.
 
I'm sure you'll find out soon enough, the hag chimed in. Everything comes out in the end. I didn't doubt that.
 
And come the end of school, the hag was right. But, I guess spouting commonly correct words of wisdom helped.
 
The class was peaceful as I packed my bag. I could understand most of their conversations. I had to concentrate but I could do it.
 
“Sakura, I want to talk to you outside.” Shaoran didn't sound angry. He seemed colder and suspicious.
 
“Sure, Shaoran-kun. I'll be out there when I'm done packing.” He nodded and walked off with Meilin.
 
I picked my bag up and walked out of the class with Tomoyo. “This is going to be bad, isn't it?” I sighed.
 
“Not necessarily. He didn't seem nearly as angry as before. I'm sure he has a good reason for everything he wants to say.
 
“There's Meilin-chan. She must be here to take us to where you're going to talk to Shoaran.”
 
“Don't be a secluded location. Don't be a secluded location. Don't be a secluded location.” I even crossed my fingers for good luck.
 
It was a secluded location. Figures. It was the lunch area to be exact.
 
All was quiet except for the rustling of trees in the autumn breeze. All around us were fantastic shades of red, orange, and yellow. There was even a little green. Shaoran was sitting amidst them all on the edge of a picnic table. The scene was so serene that it melted my heart.
 
“Oi! Shaoran! Everyone's here now get the information you want,” Meilin yelled running to him.
 
She looked to me. “Why are you still standing here? Do you think Shaoran's here to talk to Daidouji-san? No offense, Daidouji-san.”
 
Tomoyo smiled gently. “None taken.”
 
“Well? Get going!” Meilin shoved me forward.
 
“Hoooee!”
 
`He was really sad when you left that day. Keep that in mind.' Meilin whispered in my ear as she pushed me.
 
I landed right next to him. “H-Hi, Shaoran-kun. How was your day?”
 
“Fine. What are you still doing in Hong Kong? You should be in school in Japan.”
 
“I told you that I needed to get away from Tomoeda. My reason for being her hasn't changed.” Maybe I should have told him I was transferring to a school in Hong Kong last time I saw him. That would have saved me this conversation.
 
“I know that. But the person hunting you found you here! Why transfer to a school here when you're doomed either way?!” I cringed. Ouch Shaoran. Just ouch.
 
“Why didn't you at least tell me you were here? I said I would protect you but I can't do that if I don't know where you are! Why?!”
 
I gave him my honest answer. “…You never asked.” That made him stop.
 
The silence dragged on. I could here Tomoyo and Meilin fidgeting somewhere behind me. “U-Umm…Shaoran-kun? Are you—“ Did he just make a noise? That noise was followed by laughter.
 
My jaw dropped. He was laughing? I couldn't remember hearing him laughing like this. Shaoran doesn't laugh. Was he broken?
 
I started rambling. “Don't worry, Shaoran-kun! I'll find someway to fix you! I'll do that even if it's the last thing I do! Someday you'll be the Shaoran-kun everyone knows again!” He just laughed harder.
 
I got frantic. What do I do? How do you fix a friend?!
 
Whether for support due to lack of air or for some other reason I don't know. But all of a sudden I was in Shaoran's embrace. My breathing stopped and his laughter slowed. “Such an obvious answer. I should have known that Sakura wouldn't hide something to try to hurt someone.”
 
He pulled back slightly so we were nose to nose. (Insert Meilin and Tomoyo fangirl spasms) His gaze captured mine but I was still so aware of close his lips were to mine. If I were to just lean forward a little…
 
“By the way Sakura.” I felt my cheeks flush as I snapped out of my not so innocent thoughts. “I wasn't broken. But if you ever plan on stopping someone from laughing, there are two things you should know. One: That's mean. Two: Running and rambling like a chicken with it no head doesn't help at all.” I turned redder.
 
Shaoran must have become aware of how close our faces were. His eyes dipped down towards my lips then became almost as read as I was.
 
“Aww, how cute. Seems my little cousin has a special friend,” a young female voice said from a tree branch next to us.
 
She wore a purple version of Shaoran's green robes without a symbol on the front under a long cloak. The same cloak my attacker had worn. She had beautiful long black hair worn up in a style similar to Yulan Li. Eye make-up made her ruby eyes pop and red lip gloss brought out her lips. I could see two swords shimmering under her cloak, tied by a trailing yellow obi.
 
She was beautiful. At the same time she looked familiar.
 
Shaoran threw me behind his back and took a defensive stance.
 
How'd she get so close without Shaoran or me noticing? “What does she mean cousin.” Shaoran looked over to Meilin and back failing to understand anything.
 
“The only cousin I have is Meilin.” Meilin and Tomoyo met up with us after seeing Shaoran's eyes roam to them.
 
“That's where you're wrong, Little Cousin. It doesn't surprise me that you don't know who I am. Why would the Li clan teach the younger ones about a banished member of the family? A stain on the family tree: Li Chun,” she said bitterly.
 
“She sounds like she really hates your family, Shaoran-kun,” I whispered to him.
 
“Ya.”
 
“Enough talking! Prepare to be banished from this world!” She whipped her right arm from under the cloak palm facing us. She smirked. “Goodbye forever.” A light flashed towards us from her hand.
 
The light filled my eyes and the world vanished before me.
 
* * * *
 
If you're still reading this story, I am so sorry for being horrible at keeping promises for chapters. I'm just not going to promise anything anymore, that way no one is disappointed…I hope. I am working on the next chapter right now so, ya.
 
Notes: I am completely falling in love with Li Chun. I have this whole background worked up for her. She is a total BAMF.
I am not torturing Sakura! She's just one of those characters that need to open their eyes to the world and, dare I say it, grow up. I think I'm pretty well done with extreme angst for her.
 
I'm done. If you read this you can leave now :P Please review! I love hearing what all of you have to say!