Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ The Garden Keeper ❯ Chapter two ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

The Garden Keeper

By Amiboshi-chan

Chapter two

Syaoran whirled around to see who was following him. There was no one there.

So Syaoran, being practical, shrugged it off and walked away. He walked down the beach, sinking softly in the wet sand as the waves ran over his sandaled feet. He picked up a little yellow shell, then turned to head back to the garden.

Then he heard it again. It was a light laughter, like the tinkling of a bell. Syaoran ran back to the garden. He stopped when he reached the arbor, leaning against the eroded stone wall, and just watched silently.

The soft laughter rang out a little louder again. Syaoran followed the sound, until he thought he saw something move amongst the rose bushes. He ran down one pathway towards the pond. He saw something - it was distinctly pink - running back among a row of yellow tea roses. He gave pursuit again, but ran out of breath and stopped to lean against an ivy-covered pillar. That was when he heard the laughter behind him, and turned.

There, standing at the other end of the pond, was a small girl, about his age. She wore a pink dress, and her coppery hair was docked short and pulled into two pigtails at the sides of her head. "Hello," the girl called out sweetly.

Syaoran stared at the cheerful girl for a moment before asking, "Who are you?"

The girl giggled and mimicked, "Who are you?"

Syaoran rolled his eyes. "I'm Syaoran."

The girl smiled. "I am . . . Sakura."

Syaoran stepped towards her carefully. She just smiled sweetly and watching him from the other side of the pond. Syaoran stopped and sat on one of the stone benches. He patted the seat beside him, beckoning the girl.

Sakura tilted her head and looked at him, still standing perfectly still.

Syaoran sighed. "Come sit with me, Sakura."

The girl mouth an `oh' and leapt over to him, sitting carefully beside him on the bench.

Syaoran turned to look at her. "My mom said there wouldn't be any kids here." Sakura didn't respond, so he continued. I don't play with other kids very much, but I am glad you're here. Mom is visiting her friend, and I don't have anyone to talk to." Sakura remained silent, but leaned a little closer as he talked. "How old are you? Syaoran asked.

Sakura looked up. "I'm ten." Syaoran nodded.

"Me too."

Suddenly, Sakura leaned very close, and whispered something in his ear. "Do you want to know a secret?"

Syaoran looked at her, then nodded.

"I'm a fairy." Her words were barely audible, but Syaoran heard her, and laughed. Sakura smiled.

Syaoran shook his head. "You're cute." He then stood and grabbed her hand. "Come with me." She followed him to the entrance of the garden. But that was where she stopped abruptly.

Syaoran turned to face her. "What's the matter? Come on."

Sakura looked at him, wide-eyed. "I . . .I'm not supposed to leave the garden."

Syaoran looked confused. "Why not?"

Sakura looked down. "I'm sorry, I can't." She wrenched her hand free and ran back into the garden.

Syaoran turned and followed her back in. She was crouched over, staring at her reflection in the pond. He walked over and placed he hands on her shoulders, stooping beside her. "I'm sorry. If you don't want to leave the garden, that's okay. I'll come play with you here then. Here." Syaoran reached into his pocket. He pulled out the little shell he'd picked up on the beach earlier. "Here. This is for you."

Sakura looked up, and gasped. She scooped up the shell, holding it carefully in her hands. "It's beautiful."

Syaoran was slightly taken back by her reaction. "It's . . .just a shell."

Sakura looked up at him. "I've never seen anything like it before. Thank you."

Syaoran looked up. The sun had gone down, and he could no longer see it over the great stone walls. "It's getting dark. I need to go inside." Sakura nodded, and Syaoran stood up. "Will you be here tomorrow?"

Sakura looked up. "Of course I will."

"I'll come see you." Syaoran said, then he left.

As I said, OOC. Please forgive, and leave nice, happy reviews!

I would threaten to not write again until I get a certain amount of reviews, but that never seems to work and I usually end up driving myself crazy. So please, just review, and make an authoress very very happy!