Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ Unrequited ❯ Chapter 2

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 2

The phone ringing awakened Eriol. Half-hoping Spinel or even Nakuru would get it, he pulled the blanket over his head. Eventually, the ringing stopped, and Eriol sighed his contentment.

The phone rang again ten seconds later, only this time with a distinctive double ring. Eriol's reaction was considerably different. He leaped from the bed, tripping over the sheets as he made a falling dive for the phone. Fortunately, he managed to grab it. Unfortunately, he crashed to the floor a second later. With a groan, he slowly raised the mouthpiece to his lips. "Tomoyo-chan?" he whispered groggily.

"Gomen, Eriol-kun. Did I wake you?"

Eriol sat up, sensing something different about her voice. "What's wrong?"

The voice was almost tiny, the reply whispered into the phone. "I need you."

Eriol ran a hand through his hair. "Yes, of course. Where are you?" He jotted down the address she gave him. "I'll send someone for you," he said before hanging up.

* * * * *

Tomoyo glanced at her watch. Only two and a half minutes had passed since she'd called Eriol, but if felt like forever to her.

Suddenly, there was a tapping against her window.

Tomoyo nearly screamed, until she recognized the resemblance to Keroberos. She opened the window. "Suppi-chan?" she asked slowly.

Eriol's Guardian nodded, growling softly in slight annoyance. "Daidouji-san."

She hesitantly reached up and ran her hand along his muzzle. "Thank you," she whispered, hugging his neck.

Spinel Sun looked quite uncomfortable for a moment, then placed a paw on her back. "Eriol-sama is waiting, Daidouji-san."

She nodded and released him.

Spinel Sun folded his wings and slipped into the hotel room, turning and lowering his back so she could climb on.

Tomoyo took great care not to touch his wings. She was afraid she might break them; they seemed so fragile compared to Keroberos's wings. "You're so different from him," she said absently, running her fingers along his silky fur.

"Consider that a good thing tonight, Daidouji-san."

Tomoyo suddenly realized that they were in Eriol's bedroom. "How…?"

"I've been waiting for you, Tomoyo-chan," said a voice behind her.

Eriol smiled as she turned and saw him. He loved the way her face lit up when she looked at him.

Tomoyo climbed off Spinel Sun's back and ran into his arms.

Eriol held her close, hungrily inhaling the scent of her. They needed each other, he told himself, the agreement be damned. They belonged together.

Tomoyo looked into his eyes. "Can I stay with you tonight?"

"A stupid question if I ever heard one, my Tomo-chan," he replied, kissing her forehead. He nodded his thanks to Spinel, who had already returned to his false form and was silently leaving the room.

She smiled sadly. "You're too good to me, Eri-kun."

"Because you're not good enough to yourself."

Tomoyo looked away and released him. "Why didn't you send Nakuru for me? I think I make Suppi-chan uncomfortable."

"Probably because you call him that," Eriol replied. "Anyway, he's much faster and more dependable. You know how easily Nakuru gets distracted." He ran his hands through her long hair and settled them on her shoulders, looking thoughtful. "Did something happen today?"

She nodded. "Syaoran called me. But not now, please."

Eriol let her go, watching in silence as she pulled a nightgown from her bag. He turned away, more out of habit than respect-they'd done this many times before-while she undressed. He wanted to look, of course, but that would only make things harder (figuratively and literally). Tomoyo still had no idea how he truly felt about her, and she was growing too comfortable around him. He was fairly certain she wouldn't have even undressed in front of Sakura, and she did it with him without a second thought.

"I'm done," she said quietly.

Eriol turned slowly, sucking in air as his gaze fell upon her. The white nightgown hugged her in all the right places-or wrong places, as it were-and Eriol knew instantly that he'd made a huge mistake the moment he'd agreed to pretend with her all those years ago. Of course, it was the thirtieth time this week he'd realized that, so it didn't make much difference. With a wistful sigh, he joined her in the bed.

Tomoyo instantly moved against him, clinging to him as if he was a security blanket…and he was, among other things.

Eriol stroked her hair and kissed the top of her head. "What did Syaoran want?"

"He was calling from the hotel. He wanted to know if…I would give him my blessing."

Eriol frowned. "For…the wedding?" He knew it was wrong the instant he said it.

"No." Tomoyo sighed, wiping away what might've been the start of a tear. "Not for the wedding."

Eriol nodded slightly and looked down, trying to meet her gaze. "Did you…?"

She raised her head to look at him. "I had to, Eriol-kun. I could never do anything to ruin their happiness."

"What about your happiness, Tomoyo-chan?"

She took a long time in answering. "I'm happy when I'm with you, Eriol-kun." It had taken years for her to stop saying she was happy when Sakura was, and even then, she still was.

"You're not always with me, though," he pointed out after a moment.

"Yes," she said quietly, closing her eyes and pressing her head to his chest. "I know."

* * * * *

Tomoyo seemed to need the rest, so Eriol let her sleep when he awoke the next morning. He retreated to his study, leaving Spinel with instructions should Tomoyo need anything in the meantime.

It was around noon when an image of Sakura appeared in front of him.

"You know, you could have called," Eriol said, failing to hide his smile.

"Yes, but I needed to speak to you directly, Eriol-kun. Is Tomoyo-chan with you?"

"Asleep upstairs, but yes. Why?"

"I just wanted to make sure she wasn't alone. How is she?"

Eriol sighed. "She's upset, but she's hiding it well, for now."

"Oh. Syaoran-kun told me he called yesterday. I thought she might be-"

"I'll take care of her, Sakura-san. Haven't I always?"

Sakura smiled. "Yes, you have. Does she know yet?"

Eriol shook his head. "Every time I work up the nerve to tell her, she starts talking about-"

"Me?" Sakura guessed.

"Well, most of the time. Otherwise, she goes on about how she's taking advantage of my kindness."

"And what do you say?"

"The same thing I always say. `It's not taking advantage of me if I want to help you, Tomoyo-chan.'"

"And she still hasn't realized that you love her?" Sakura asked.

"I don't think so. She just sees me as a good friend…which is starting to become a problem."

"Problem?"

"Yes. A big one, if you know what I mean." Eriol lowered his head.

Sakura blushed. "Ah…well, Syaoran-kun can relate. At least, he used to."

"It's getting more difficult to control myself, Sakura-san. Last night she undressed in front of me again."

"Why can't you just tell her, Eriol-kun? Do you really think the truth would hurt her so much?"

"No. I'm afraid that she wouldn't believe me. She'd just assume that I've been around her so long that I thought I was in love with her. I can't figure out how to tell her I've loved her since we were in fourth grade."

Sakura's eyes suddenly widened. "That's it, Eriol-kun! I know how you can tell her!"

"What? How?"

"Simple! Just ask her how she'd want to tell me the same thing."

Eriol blinked. "What…?"

"Don't you see? The way Tomoyo-chan feels about me is the same way you feel about her!"

"Yes, but…"

"You're both unrequited lovers, Eriol-san. You understand her better than anyone else could."

"But just mentioning you right now could upset her, Sakura-san."

"Then ask when she's better!"

"You're assuming she'll GET better. I can only do so much for her. She has to want to get over you…and I don't know if she wants that."

"Then show her she should love you, Eriol-kun. Be her everything for as long as she needs you to be. Just don't let her leave you. No one else can give her the love she needs but you."

"You certainly have a lot of faith in me, Sakura-san."

"I wouldn't waste the Illusion Card on someone I didn't believe in, Eriol-kun," Sakura replied as she faded from sight.