Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ Wish Unbroken, Dream Unspoken ❯ Chapter 4

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Wish Unspoken, Dream Unbroken

Four

Touya found himself trapped by the gaze before him, drowning in the violet color and the delicate shape of those eyes. The way the pupils were shaped like a cat's gave the illusion that Yue was focused on somewhere just beyond, like he was somehow looking through Touya, or into him instead of just seeing the surface. Moments before he had crossed the room and forced the angelic being to look at him so he could say what needed to be said, but looking into those magical eyes had derailed him.

They were drawing slowly closer together despite the words Touya had intended on saying. Long before it actually happened it was clear that they were going to kiss again, and neither of them really wanted to stop it. It was as inevitable as the tide, and Touya would not fight the pull of it if he could. Heartbeats before their lips met there was a moment when he could feel Yue's breath against his skin and he asked himself if this is what he really wanted. The answer hadn't really formed in his mind before his body answered for him.

Their lips met and Touya felt like his soul had been lit on fire. This time he was just as stunned by finding himself in this situation, but he kissed back with a passion that was almost scary. He parted his lips to deepen the kiss and found Yue responding with equal fervor. It was a heady, heavenly experience that transcended mere words, and as he allowed his eyes to finally slip closed he could no longer tell which dream of his was coming true. It felt exactly the same to him as if he held Yukito. In simple terms, it just felt right.

The world ceased to exist for both of them and time seemed to stand still. It was beyond any magic either had known and more wonderful than either had dared to hope. They were completely consumed by what was happening with each other, so did not hear the front door open, or the soft call of "Tadaima" from the entry. What they did hear was a gasp and the distinct sound of books and papers falling from numb fingers as Touya's dad stumbled upon the scene.

~~~~~@~~~~~

"They don't think I've noticed, but I have. They've been acting different around each other the last week and I'm worried." Sakura frowned as Tomoyo ran the measuring tape down her side, and then quietly marked the numbers on a paper. "They aren't hanging out with each other as much, and when Yukito-san came over they were both quiet and tense like they didn't want to say a word while I was there."

"Do you think they had a fight, Sakura-chan?"

"I don't know, but I do know they still haven't admitted their feelings for each other yet. They need to do that!"

Tomoyo smiled patiently and put the tape measure away. "What if your big brother doesn't realize he loves Tsukishiro-san?"

"But, if they love each other they should be able to tell each other!" Sakura was painfully enthusiastic about her point, showing that enthusiasm without reservation.

"You should know it's not that easy." Tomoyo shook her head. "Meilin-chan called me the other day," she added softly.

Sakura was slightly bewildered about the sudden subject change, but took the conversation at face value. "Wow! How are they doing?"

Tomoyo busied herself with deciding on fabric, not looking at Sakura as she replied. "They're both fine, but Meilin-chan thinks Li-kun is going to pine away over you. Do you know what you're going to say next time you see him?"

Sakura was silent for a while, staring off into space. Her chest tightened at the thought, and she was swept away by memories. The teddy bear he had made sat where she could look at it every day, but she still wasn't any closer to a decision about him. When she closed her eyes she could still clearly see the look in his eyes when he had admitted he loved her, and though she could feel herself blush as she remembered she didn't know what to do or say. She had been confused about love once before. She didn't want to make a mistake like that again.

She was so wrapped up in her thoughts that she only partially noticed the sound of a telephone ringing, or Tomoyo speak softly into the phone. It didn't really click until Tomoyo hung up the phone and started walking across the large room with a funny look on her face. "Who was on the phone, Tomoyo-chan?"

"It was your big brother. He thinks you should come home, he said it's time to explain a few things to your dad."

"What?"

"All he said was that there were some things about Yue that needed explanation, and he didn't think he was the person to explain it all, since he never actually got the explanation either."

"Yue? What would he be doing there?"

"I don't know, but we should probably get to your house and get everything sorted out."

Sakura nodded and started walking to the door, but Tomoyo hesitated. "What's wrong, Tomoyo-chan?"

"Do you think I should bring some videotapes to show your dad? Visual aids may come in handy, and I could show your bravery to someone new!"

Sakura almost fell over as all the blood rushed to her cheeks in a blush that glowed brighter than a lit Christmas tree.

~~~~~@~~~~~

Yue couldn't remember wanting to hide behind Yukito's form more than at this moment, but one look at Touya had convinced him that it was not an acceptable solution. The damage had been done; he had allowed himself to be distracted at the critical moment. No matter how he thought about it, this situation was entirely his fault, and it was the Mistress, Sakura, who would need to come after him and mend things.

"Why didn't she say something," Fujitaka was wondering as his gaze returned to Yue for the thousandth time that afternoon. Yue was feeling uncomfortably burdened by the constant attention, but refused to show anything but his usually impassive expression. He would wait for Sakura, and then do whatever she directed. He couldn't do anything other than that in this situation.

"Don't worry too much about it, she never actually told me anything either. She tried to keep everything to herself as much as she could," Touya assured his father.

The somber atmosphere was shattered by a cheery cry from Sakura as she bounded in the house. She rushed into the living room, coming to an abrupt halt as she saw the faces that met her. As her eyes fell upon Yue she let out a startled squeak, even though he knew she should have been expecting him to be there. He stifled a frustrated sigh and continued waiting for a resolution.

Tomoyo followed soon after with a bag full of tapes, fabric, and her usual camera. Both girls were smiling a bit wider than the occasion called for, making Yue wonder if it was brought on by nervousness, or some other reason. Was Sakura relieved that she wouldn't have to keep her secret anymore? It had been a new concept for Yue actually, for in Clow's time he hadn't had a false form. Yukito had been created solely for Sakura's benefit, to keep her from knowing the identity of the one would judge her worth as Mistress of the Cards.

Somewhere along the line Yue had gained an appreciation for being able to hide though. It had become so simple to drift as if dreaming while someone else smiled and faced a world he no longer wanted to. The world was a much different place now, and it did not contain his creator any longer. What was the point?

Yue lost himself in thought as Sakura began her lengthy explanation of finding the cards and how her life had chanced since that moment. There was a look of wonder on her father's face as she told him about the events that unfolded, some nearly tragic, others ultimately humorous. Yue remembered watching behind Yukito's eyes as all these things came to pass. There had been a mixture of hope that she would succeed and that she would fail. He had no need for another master. He had no need to be recalled to this world where all that would greet him was pain and loneliness. He had no need for existence at all as far as he was concerned, he would have been happier to be locked away, unaware, in the book for eternity.

But his false form surprised him. Yukito fell in love. He didn't know the first thing about love, couldn't recognize it in others, and didn't really understand it in himself for a very long time. Yue had grown frustrated and irritable as he watched within, not wanting to interact with the world, but unable to watch things unfold like this. Even when Yukito finally realized his own heart, even when Sakura herself tried to assure him that his feelings would be returned, Yue was still looking from the inside as if he were an outsider. He wanted this to end. So he had finally taken matters into his own hands in the only way he could think of.

Yue was brought out of his reverie as Tomoyo pulled out videotapes, showing events both distant and recent. Fujitaka was awed now, praising his daughter, but still concerned that she hadn't come to him.

"I thought you'd never believe me," Sakura finally said. "I couldn't just come up to you and say, 'I have magic, see?' Especially as more and more time went by. It was just too much, and I didn't know what to say, but I'm so happy that you know now!"

"Sweetheart, you can come to me any time, with anything. I know I'm busy a lot, but I always want to be here for you."

To Yue it was heart-wrenchingly domestic. In many ways, Touya and Sakura's father reminded him of the fatherly side of Clow. There was a patient understanding there and a constant kind smile that struck too close to home in Yue's eyes. While he hid behind Yukito he could freely feel the comfort of that faint familiarity, but while he had his true face bared to the world he was reminded of the pain as well.

Yue stared out the window as they all talked more, wondering why he really had stayed in his true form for all of this. All he had done was stand there, listening and thinking, almost as if his only roll was as a visual aid like Tomoyo's videotapes. With some discomfort he thought he should have left as soon as the girls had arrived, as he was no longer necessary. Yet, that would mean less time nest to Touya.

He looked at the taller young man who was now seated on the couch and wondered if it was a bad thing to leave his side. The more he had, the more he wanted. He knew it couldn't last though. He couldn't deny Yukito his feelings; his false form had more right to Touya by virtue of time and friendship. It was all too clear that Touya's feelings for Yukito went beyond simple friendship as well, no matter how Yue had muddied the waters. He should bow out now, accepting Touya's presence vicariously as he watched through the eyes of his false form. He was quite aware of the similar train of thoughts Yukito had entertained the week before, but at least in Yue's case he could see and know for himself instead of wondering--

"That clears up so much! Thank you for finally telling me about it all, Sakura-chan." Fujitaka's voice was joyous, relieved. "I do have one other question though."

Yue's eyes fell on the older man's with curiosity, and he found the gaze being returned. A faint pink now stained Fujitaka's cheeks as he looked between Yue and Touya, and finally looked away.

"Touya-kun, I don't want to presume, but I was very surprised to find you, uh, kissing Yue not just because of, well, his clearly magical origins."

Sakura and Tomoyo exchanged looks, each softly questioning, "Kissing?" Yue struggled to maintain his composure, but it wasn't easy.

"I was shocked," the archeology professor continued, now maintaining eye contact with his son with obvious difficulty, "because I had assumed that you and Tsukishiro-san--"

Sakura giggled, stopping her father's clumsy line of questioning.

Yue felt as if the world had dropped out from underneath him and he almost called on his wings to save him from the nearly physical sensation. He saw this as his chance to escape though. He looked to Sakura for direction. "Should I change?"

She nodded enthusiastically. It was with great relief that Yue regained his wings and wrapped them around himself. He would leave the rest of this up to Yukito, and hope that the next time he was called upon Touya would have already explained his feelings. His eyes slipped closed and he pulled his "mask" out of the ether, waiting and watching again.