Case Closed Fan Fiction ❯ Afterlife ❯ Confessions ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Afterlife
 
Disclaimer: I don't own characters in the stories. They belong to Gosho Aoyama. I just borrowed them for awhile. (*Sniff* They returned after I was done!)
 
Chapter 1 - Confessions
 
The computer beeped, signaling that it had finished and was displaying the results of the test. Ai pushed back her chair from the table and walked over to it. As she read the results, Ai's mind refused to believe it. *APTX 4896 just doesn't have this kind of reaction. I know. I created it.* Even so, the computer was flashing her the unhid truth. Disturbed, Ai went over the equations and variable that she had given the computer for the test, hoping that somehow she had made a mistake. As she found more and more of the equations correct, Ai started to get down right scared. She pushed back her chair and fished out her Detective Boys' badge, while at the same time trying to calm her beating heart.
“Edogawa-kun?” She spoke into the microphone that was on the back of the badge.
“Yeah? What's up? Anything wrong Haibara-san?” Came Conan's reply through the speaker on the back of the badge.
“I think that we may have a major problem.”
***
The slamming of the front door, followed by set of running feet, pulled Agasa out of the nap he had been taking on the front room sofa. Wiping the sleep from his tired eyes, Agasa was greeted with the rare sight of Edogawa Conan running down the hall, heading for Ai's lab. Conan's face was not his usual childlike happiness. Instead, it had true fear painted all over it. *I wander what has him all worked up. The only thing that could make him this scared would be if the Black Organization found out who he really is. And if that was so, we would all be dead right now, so I don't think that that is a possibility.*
 
Agasa started to head down the hall, but then decided against it. Shinichi may be his friend, but when it was something bad enough to make him run thou out the house with his shoes on, then he might want to stay out of the way. So instead, Agasa headed to the kitchen to make a quick snack, for Shinichi would need it after the initial adrenaline wore off.
 
 
Ai turned around as the footsteps down the hall announced that Conan had arrived.
“Ok, what is such a problem that you would actually contact me while I was with Ran?” Conan asked, going straight to the point. Right now he didn't feel like walking around in circles. If Ai was surprised by his question, she hid it well behind her poker face.
“The APTX 4869 has shown some interesting results. Remember the DNA that I took from you earlier?' She asked him. Conan nodded, remembering the incident quiet well. “Well, I ran it through the computer, and got the results just now. According to everything I know, you won't survive to make it back to your true age just by growing up. In fact, if I have it right, you have about 4 days until it will either kill you, or make you start growing younger. Either choice, the end result is that you will no longer be here.”
“Ai, what about you?”
“Me? That's a funny question. When I put my own DNA through the computer it came up with a different result. According to the information, I will be spared your fate. In fact, if I am correct, I actually will return back to myself in about 100 hours.”
“So why is it death for me, but not for you?”
“I really don't know.” Ai said, feeling entering her voice for the first time in a long while. “I really don't know. If I could make it different, I would. Still, I will try until I can't do anything else to find away to spare you that fate.” As the tears started streaming down her face, Ai turned away from Conan. “I don't know what I could do though. I've tried everything.”
“Haibara-san…”
“Leave me Edogawa-kun. I've got work to do.”
Conan sighed as he turned around and walked. “Thanks for the help, Ai-chan.”
Ai jumped as Conan used the familiar form of her name. In all the time that they had known each other, neither had called the other by the familiar form. Instead, they acted like they were barely friends. Just colleges searching for a cure to their illnesses. “Thank you for your friendship Conan-kun.” Ai whispered at the retreating form of an 8 year-old.
 
 
Conan stared at his ceiling, numbly going over what Ai had told him. Results … kill you or make you grow younger … 4 days. How was he going to tell Ran? If there was no way that Shinichi could come back, he had to tell her. She deserved to know. After all, he had lied to her for months now, living in her own house, under her `protection'. Wasn't he the one who believed in `One truth'? He, who had been telling lies to the person who had mattered the most to him? *God, I feel like a complete hypocrite.*
 
The door opening was the only thing that kept him from falling into a deeper funk. “Conan-kun? Is everything alright?” Ran asked, concern clearly written across her face.
“Ran-neechan?”
“Conan-kun, you have been depressed ever since you left Agasa's house. What's wrong? You can tell me. I'll help you with it. You don't have to be alone.”
*Ran! Did you have to ask it that directly? Why couldn't you have been less worried tonight? Oh well, the question has been asked. Do I tell her the truth that I am going to die in 4 days, or do I let her go on innocently believing that I can come back and that `Conan-kun' won't disappear?*
“Ran…”
To say that dropping the `neechan' surprised Ran was an understatement. “C.. Co.. Conan-kun?”
“Ran … There is something I need to tell you.” Regret started to wash all over Conan's face. “Ran, I'm not who you think I am. I'm not even who I thought I could be for you.”
The seriousness in Conan's voice removed all remarks that Ran had just been about to say. “Conan-kun, what do you mean not who you think I am?” She asked with all sincerity. “If your not who I think you are, then who are you.”
“Ran, I am … I am… Damn it! I can't even tell it to your face right now!”
“Conan-kun? You're starting to scare me.”
“Not Conan-kun any more Ran. Not Conan, Kudo.”
“WHAT?” Ran's mind immediately brought up the past months of trying to prove/disprove that Conan and Shinichi were the same person. “What do you mean? I've seen you and Shinichi together. You can't be the same person!”
“No Ran. I AM Shinichi. The time's that you've seen the two of us together, has been when someone else played for me. I want to end the lies now. I want to just be back to myself.”
“But Co…Shinichi, how is this possible? People just don't turn into little kids. That's just things out of fairy tales.”
“Not now. Remember Tropical land? Remember when I ran away from you telling you that I would catch up with you later? That was when it happened. That was the night `Conan' was born. Those people in black that where on the rollercoaster with us also happened to do some illegal transactions that night. I came across them but was found out. They knocked me out and them force-fed me a poison that was supposed to kill me. Instead it turned me back into a little child. They think that I am dead. If they found out that I was otherwise, they would have come after me, killing everyone from the kids to Agasa to you. That was why I created Conan. It was to protect you. I didn't mean for it to go on this long. Damn it, it was supposed to be a few weeks at most.”
“Shinichi, why didn't you trust me?” The pain was visible in her eyes. “Why?”
“Because if one of us ever slipped up, if one hint was said at the wrong moment, they would have come for us. They would have left none alive. I first thought that the Black Organization was a small gang. Now I know it's a huge, multi-nation group.”
“Why are you finally telling be about this now? Have you defeated them? Are you going to return back to yourself?”
Conan yawned. “If only. Ai-chan gets that fate. Me, I get another.”
“Ai? What does Ai have to do with this?” She said, thinking of the blond girl.
“Ai created the APTX 4896, the poison that was given to me.” Ran's head jerk showed her disbelief.
“How is that possible? Ai is just an 8 year-old. Unless…”
“Unless she was like me? Yes. Ai's real name is Miyano Shiho. She and her sister worked for the black organization for a time. When her sister was killed, Shiho wanted out. She refused to cooperate with them any longer. While waiting for her associates to remove her, Shiho took one of the poisons that she had created, thinking that it would kill her. Instead it turned her into a kid, just like me.”
“But why do you work with her then?” Ran asked, a little afraid.
“She is trying to create a cure for the poison.” Came Conan's tired response.
“Why did you say that she gets the fate of returning to herself, but you get another one? Don't tell me you …die?”
“That's exactly what will happen. Ai-chan ran some tests through the computer, and that was the response. In 4 days, I will either be dead, or growing younger as the time passes.”
“NO! Shinichi you can't! Not after I just found you again!”
“I'm sorry Ran. I'm truly am.” And with that Conan feel deep asleep in Ran's lap.
“SHINICHI!!!!!!!!!”
 
After spending minutes lost in her own world of thought, Ran stared down at the small not-so-young boy in her lap. When she had shouted his true name, it hadn't woken him up at all. Conan looked so tired that she couldn't help but mother him a little. *When he like this, you'd never guess that he really is an 18 year-old.* She thought as she took of his glasses and laid him on his bed. Still numb with shock, Ran covered the sleeping boy up. *There must be a way that I can help him. I can't lose him again. Not just after finding out who he really is.* Ran turned to walk quietly out the door, when she realized that Conan hadn't told her how he found the Black Organization in the first place. She did remember those guys on the rollercoaster, but how did he know that it wasn't just a small gang instead of a multi-nation group.
 
The knock on the door made Ran jump. She quickly turned around at was greeted with the view of her father poking his head into the room. “Ran? Is everything all right? I heard you shout the detective's name.” Kogoro said looking, for once in his life, concerned.
 
“Yeah. I just was thinking about Shinichi. I'm just glad I didn't wake Conan-kun up with my yelling.”
“Why do you still go after that no good detective? It's not like anyone else doesn't want to date you.”
“DAD! Don't talk about Shinichi that way! He's a great detective.”
“He's a no good, run away detective. He left you. Why hurt yourself more? Forget about him.”
“I can't Tousan. I just can't. Not when I know how he feels.” Ran said, surprising herself that she was protecting him.
“If he liked you, then why did he leave you? It seems that he is more interested in the cases than in my daughter!”
Ran started to get angry “Now dad! He can't help it if someone needs him.”
“I just thought that he would have better priorities. After all, if he wants to be my son-in-law, he needs to show me that he can handle it properly.”
“Handle what?!!!!! And don't you dare say me!”
“What? Do you expect me to let any man have you? He must show that he can care for you.”
“DAD! You don't need to act like I'm some object to be used. Shinichi knows better than to try that. And so do you, unless I need to refresh our memory.” She punched the wall to prove her point, leaving a nice sized hole where she had it.
Kogoro's eyes grew big as he looked at the hole. “Uh… I'm sure you can take care of yourself. Bye.” He stammered.
Ran's anger cooled as she flashed an evil grin at her dad's retreating form. Sometimes it was just so fun to scare him. And Shinichi too, now that she thought about it. And speaking of the devil, what was she going to do? Who could she talk to? Certainly not Conan or Agasa, considering they were the source of the problem. A wild thought crossed her mind. What about Kazuha? She nearly grinned as she fished out her cell phone. Kazuha would know what to do. After all, she kept such a good control on Heiji.
 
Ran walked out of the room and quietly shut the door as she dialed Kazuha's number. Bring … bring … bring …*Come on Kazuha answer your phone!* Bring … I'm sorry, I can't answer my phone right now. Please leave me a message, and I will try to get back to you. Arigato. *Darn Kazuha doesn't have her phone with her.* “Kazuha-chan, it Ran. Can you give me a call as soon as you can? I really need to talk with you. It's about … it's about …” Ran tried to speak without getting emotional, but it was like trying to hold back a flood with your hands. “It's about Shinichi! I really need to talk. Please call soon. Please …” Ran shut off the phone. She just sat down on the floor where she was, crying her heart out. *Don't leave me! Shinichi! Don't leave me!*
 
The next morning …
 
Conan woke with a start. The nightmare that he had was horrifying to say the least. Ever since he had transformed into a kid he had had a nightmare about losing Ran, but not one this bad. Not one where he not only lost her, but she knew who he was and hated his guts. Blinking the tears from his eyes, Conan got out of bed and dressed for the day. He was just glad that it was a Saturday and not a weekday. This meant that he could talk with Heiji for quite a while. And he needed to talk. After what he and Ran had said last night, he wasn't sure that he could face her. And falling asleep in her lap? He knew he was tired, but he hadn't realized that he was that tired. He should go talk with Ran, but he was afraid that if he did, he might say something stupid. Something stupid to make her hate him.
 
Opening his bedroom door, Conan looked down the hall. There was no one insight. That suited him just fine. Conan tiptoed downstairs and put on his shoes. Just as he was about to open the front door, he heard a noise coming from the living room. “Shinichi … don't go … don't leave … me”
 
Frantic, Conan looked around for Ran. He finally found her sleeping on the couch, using one of the pillows as a teddy bear. As she mentioned his name, she hugged the pillow tighter. Shinichi smiled as he watched Ran for a few more minutes. *She's so cute that way. I wish I could stick around, but I can't. Sorry Ran. I always thought that I could be there for you. No one regrets it more than I.*
 
His heart aching, Conan walked to the front door and opened it. After he had walked outside, shutting the door quietly behind him so as not to wake Ran, Conan walked to the phone booth. Putting in the coins, Conan dialed a number that he knew very well.
 
“Moshi Moshi.”
“Hattori.”
“Hello Kudo. What's up?”
“Are you in town?”
“Yeah, just arrived last night with Kazuha.”
“Can you come pick me up?”
“Why?”
“I'll tell you one you get over here. I'm at the agency right know.”
“Did you know that Ran called Kazuha?”
“No.”
“What's going on between you and Ran right now? She didn't sound to happy according to Kazuha.”
“Long story. To make it short, she knows who I am.”
“…” It sounded as though Heiji had dropped his cell phone.
“Heiji?”
“…” Now it sounded like he had picked up his phone, but was still in shock.
“ Heiji! Pull yourself together!”
“H … How did she find out?”
“I told her last night.”
“YOU told her? WOW! She must have been mad.”
“Actually, more like disappointed and hurt. I'll explain why once you get over here.”
“Sure. I'll be there in a few minutes.”
“Thanks Hattori.”
“No problem, Kudo.”
 
Conan fought back tears as he gripped Heiji's jacket while he sat in the back of the motorcycle. He just wanted to get away. Far away for right now, and talk about it with someone who would understand. He would have talked about it with Ran, but she was the problem. That was why he was glad that Heiji had actually found out who he really was. It gave him someone to talk to when things were really bad. Of course, Heiji being Heiji would joke about it in the times after this, but right now he was as sincere as anyone could be.
“Where are we going?” Conan shouted into the wind.
“A secluded park that not many know about. We should be there in a few more minutes, if you think that you can hang on that long.” Heiji shouted back, all humor removed from his voice. He knew that right now Conan didn't want to have him wise-cracking at him right now. This just wasn't normal Kudo behavior. Nothing seemed to be right when he picked up Conan.
 
Conan stood up, off the stairs, as Heiji expertly guided his motorcycle to a stop a few feet from him. From a look at Conan's face, Heiji guessed that he had been crying. About what, well, that wasn't hard to guess when you knew Kudo like he did. He would even bet his motorcycle on it. Conan's problem was Ran.
“You made it. Can we go somewhere where we can talk without being bothered or overheard?” Was all he got from the small teenager. When he gave the affirmative, the boy hopped on the back and gripped his jacket, clearly waiting for him to go. So he had driven off, trying to think of a place as he went.
 
It wasn't until a few minutes ago that he had thought about the park which was a few miles from his home in Osaka. He and Kazuha had gone there a few time when they wanted to be alone, so he knew the way very well. When they had arrived, Conan jumped off of the bike and waited impatiently as Heiji shut of the bike and got off. Conan followed Heiji to a small part that was surrounded by tress, making an effective shield against the world. It also helped when there was hardly anyone in the park, and no one was close at all to the two teenagers.
 
Once they reached the center of the grove, Heiji plopped down on the ground. Conan followed suit. “Okay, Kudo. What's wrong? I know it's something to do with Neechan, so spill the beans. Why did you decide to tell her last night out of all the nights?”
“Heiji, promise me something. Promise me that you'll look after Ran.”
“What?!!!”
“You heard me. Promise me you'll look after her.”
“Why aren't you going to do it? She likes you, not me. You can still watch her as `Conan'.”
“No, I can't. Not in at most 4 days, anyway.”
“Where are you going to be. Don't tell me that you're going away. That will break her heart.” Conan usually didn't ask favors. For him to push this hard, he must be either scared out of his wits, or else something really bad will happen to him. Something he couldn't avoid.
“I'm going away. But not as you think. In 4 days, I will be dead, or growing younger.”
“…”
“Promise me, Heiji. Promise me.”
“W… Why?”
“Ai-chan ran some test yesterday. The results were stunning to say the least. According to the results, I will die in 4 days or grow so young that I end up dying anyways. Ai-chan's fate is better than mine, though. She gets to return to her bigger self.”
“Why? What's the difference between you two? Why does she get the easier way? Damn it Kudo, Why?” Heiji shouted at him, growing angry.
“I wish that I knew, Heiji. Can't you see why I need your promise? If you do, then it will make this easier on me. At least I'll know that Ran is taken care of. Please?”
“Kudo.” Heiji spoke solemnly, staring into the younger boy's eyes. “I give you my word as a detective that I will make sure she is taken care of.”
“Thanks. I just hope this won't be necessary. Ai-chan said that she was going to work on a cure for me, but I wanted someone to look after Ran incase the worst happened.”
“That's what friends are for. Though you do realize, she'll never forgive you for leaving her this soon.”
“Oh, I do. I do.”
The conversation then changed and grew as the two friends started talking about other things. To anyone else, they would look just like a teenager talking with his younger brother. But to them, it was trying to forget what most likely would happen in a few days.
 
 
Bring …Bring … Bring …
Uh … too tired … must wake up … phone ringing Ran `forced' herself awake to the noise of her cell phone's ring, using it as a lifeline. She opened her eyes, and looked around for her phone. After a few seconds, she spotted it sitting on a table where she had put it last night after calling Kazuha. She reached for the phone and looked at the caller ID as she picked it up. Toyama Kazuha it read. Ran quickly answered her cell.
“Moshi Moshi. Kazuha-chan! I really need to talk with you.” Sleep had helped calm her down, but she felt like she still needed to talk with someone. “Can you come over?”
“Ran-chan? Is everything alright? You sounded pretty upset when you left a message last night.”
“I'm better, but I still want to talk with you. When can you come over?”
“Um… let me check. Maybe Heiji can give me a ride on his motorcycle.” Kazuha's voice pulled away as Ran heard her shout for Heiji. A few minutes later, she was back. “Um… Ran-chan? Heiji left a little while ago. I don't know where he went, so I'll have to take the subway. I should be there in an hour.”
“Thanks Kazuha-chan.”
“See you when I get over there.” With that said, Kazuha hung up her phone with Ran following suit.
Then Ran realized that she had forgotten about breakfast. A shout from the kitchen let her know that her father hadn't forgotten, though. She stood up and headed to the kitchen to begin her father's breakfast once again.
 
 
Ai quickly brought the DNA test back to the table. She had been working on a cure overnight, but was nowhere near finished. If she hoped to have it finished before Conan `disappeared', then she would need to spend every waking moment on it. Even if all it did was stop his death and kept him as Conan, that would give her more time. She poured herself over her equipment, her mind working 3 tangents and creating a possible 4th. She had to get it right the first time.
 
 
The knock on the door almost wasn't heard over Kogoro's tv. While her dad watched his program, Ran quietly excused herself and went to answer it. When she opened it, she was greeted to the sight of Toyama Kazuha. “KAZUHA-CHAN!” Ran shouted excitedly, hugging her friend.
“Hi to you too, Ran-chan. What's the matter?” Her friend said, hugging her back.
“Can't speak here. Where can we go that we won't be disturbed?”
“What about Shinichi's house? He's never there anymore.”
“Um… I guess so.”
“DAD? KAZUHA-CHAN AND I ARE GOING FOR A WALK. BE BACK LATER!” Ran shouted, poking her head back into the house. “Let's go.” She said, turning back to her friend and shutting the door behind them, ignoring her father's protests.
 
The walk to Shinichi's house didn't take long for them. Indeed, to Ran, it seemed like only a couple of seconds had passed until she was standing in front of her boyfriend's house. It was hard to look at the house anymore without feeling lost and confused. If what Conan said was true, her Shinichi wouldn't be coming back ever. Just think this thought brought tears to her blue eyes.
“Ran? What's wrong?” Kazuha asked, concerned.
“Nothing. Not here. Let's go inside.” She told her friend. Ran walked up the stairs and down the porch, looking for the spot where Shinichi always hid his key. When she had found the key, she walked up to the door, and unlocked it. Motioning Kazuha to follow, Ran entered the large living room. She immediately sat down on one of the 3 couches. Kazuha sat down next to her.
“Alright Ran-chan, what is it?”
Tears welled up in Ran's eyes “It's about … Shinichi.”
“What is the baka up to now? You didn't sound to happy over the phone.”
“It's just … It's just…” Ran tried saying, tears starting to run down her face. “It's just that he won't ever come back!” Ran then flung herself over her friend, crying her heart out.
“I don't … know … what to … do.” She said through sobs.
“Why do you think that he won't ever come back?” Kazuha asked, trying to comfort her friend.
“H…He told me!” Ran said, bawling harder.
Kazuha just put her hand on Ran's back, letting her friend cry. Once Ran had calmed down a little, she went back to her questions. “Why did he tell you that? Does he not like you anymore?”
“No, I know he still does.”
“Than why did he tell you he can't come back? What happened? I need to know everything if I am to help you.”
“Kazuha-chan, Shinichi isn't himself anymore.”
“Is that why he isn't coming back? He isn't himself anymore and so he doesn't want to hurt you.”
“Kazuha-chan, please don't tell anyone else this.”
“Tell anyone else what?”
“Conan-kun is Shinichi.”
“WHAT??!!”
“I found that out last night. I wasn't happy either.”
“But…But how? People don't just grow younger. And if there was a pill that did it, there wouldn't be any old folks anymore.”
“Not a pill, Kazuha-chan, but poison. Shinichi was investigating a case, and got caught. They gave the toxin to kill him, since there were police everywhere. It didn't kill him, instead he returned to his 8 year-old self, but with his 18 year-old mind. They are everywhere, and they think he is dead. If they find out, they will kill him and everyone who knows him. And they will make the murders look like accidents.”
“Is that why he can't come back? No one can create an antidote?”
“No, that's not it. In 3 days, he will die. My Shinichi will die, right after I found him!” Ran shouted to the world in general, tears springing up again.
“How does he know that?”
“Haibara-san told him.”
“Haibara-san? You mean the little blond haired girl that hangs out with him?'
“Yeah, she also has a similar situation. Only she worked for the ones that hurt Shinichi. She left them, took the poison, and fled to find Shinichi. Ever since, she has been working to find a cure.”
“She just found out that the poison was incomplete. It will kill Shinichi, but she gets to return back to herself! WHY?!!!!!!!!!!!” Ran yelled at her friend, angry with everyone. “Why must it kill Shinichi? I just don't know what to do now Kazuha-chan. I just don't know.”
“Have you told Shinichi what you think about him. It won't be easier on him, or you, but it may make the last few days bearable. He might even think right now that you hate him.” Kazuha asked her, knowing that Ran needed to let out her anger.
“BUT I DON'T KAZUHA-CHAN! I DON'T!!!!!!!!!” Cried Ran.
“Does he know that?”
“… No.”
“Then tell him next time you see him.”
“Okay. Thanks Kazuha-chan.”
“You're welcome Ran-chan.”
 
Ran and Kazuha stayed at the house, until late in the day. Ran crying on Kazuha's shoulder; Kazuha just comforting her. Kazuha knew it would be hard when Conan died, but she would be there for her friend. Ran would do the same for her. When they returned to Ran's house, Kogoro was drunk and asleep at his desk, and it looked like Conan wasn't home.
“I need to get going back to the hotel. Heiji doesn't like it if I'm not there when he comes back. Besides, he doesn't need to know about our meeting.”
“I agree. Thanks for your support Kazuha.”
“Call me if you ever need it again. Bye.” Kazuha said as she walked back out the door.
“I will! Bye.” Ran told her friend.
After the door shut, Ran walked into the kitchen, and started to make dinner.
 
When Conan opened the door, he immediately noticed that something was wrong. Kogoro, who was usually in the kitchen complaining about the time it took to make dinner, was no where to be heard or seen.
“Ran-neechan?”
“I'm in here Shinichi. Dad is still drunk and asleep.”
Conan walked into the kitchen and saw Ran leaning over the stove, stirring the pot.
“What cha making Ran?” Conan asked, his belly rumbling.
“Rice. I didn't want to cook something difficult tonight.” She acted like she wasn't angry or disappointed. That put Conan more on edge. Ran usually acted this way when she wanted to scare him later.
“Um, Ran? You're not angry are you?” Conan asked, scared of her answer.
“Now why would I be? Disappointed yes, but not angry. You finally trusted me.” Conan could see her disappointment on her face as well. There was also something else there. An emotion that was hidden, but not enough. Love.
“Ran…”
“I'd better wake dad up. He'd not be too happy about missing dinner.”
Conan nodded at her statement, but wondered why she had cut him off.
“I'll do it. You need to finish cooking.” Conan said, running off for the stairs to the second floor.
Ran just smiled at the small boy. He knew that he would get `talked' to later. It was written all over his face. She turned back to the rice, making sure that it didn't burn.
 
That night, after Kogoro went out to buy more beer, the house was really quiet. The two remaining people sat on opposite couches, staring at one another's faces. Both were lost in their own world.
“Shinichi…” Ran said, breaking the silence between them.
“Yeah Ran?”
“What are we going to do? I can't let you go. Not now. Not after I know who you are.”
“I don't know. I truly don't know. I don't want to die. I …” Conan cursed himself for not being able to tell the woman of his dreams that he loved her.
“Shinichi?”
“Ran, I … I love you.” Ran's heart jumped miles. To hear that from the man she knew and loved, it was like getting an early Christmas present. “ I know that this isn't the best time to tell you, but I had to make sure you knew my feeling before I left you for good.”
“Shinichi! Don't talk like that! Haibara-san will find a cure. I know she will. I won't let you go.”
“Ran…”
“No listen. I have waited for you for months, and now that you are returned, I won't let you leave me again. Especially not for good. I care about you too, baka. I love you.” Conan could have sworn that his head was up in the clouds. He had been afraid that Ran would reject his love. Now he knew that not only did she not send him away, she loved him in return. “Shinichi? Shinichi? What's wrong?”
“Nothing. Nothing at all.” Conan replied when his brain came back down to earth.
He got off the couch he was sitting on and walked over to her. Hopping up next to Ran, Conan hugged her will all the strength that his small form could muster. He was grateful when she did the same.
“Nothing is wrong right now.”
 
 
Ai pulled the chemicals out of the storage area. She had spent the last 5 hours on the computer testing a new theory, and according to the computer, it should buy Conan a little more time at least. At most, it could cure him completely. Unfortunately, she also found out that she had made a mistake in her first prediction. She had missed one variable, and now Conan's life shortened by another 2 days. That meant that tomorrow would be his last day. Sometime tomorrow, Conan would die, leaving a heart broken Ran.
 
Ai's heart ached for Ran, because she knew that there was nothing that Ran could do. Ran did not like being helpless. All of Conan's chances on living resided on Ai finishing this pill. If she could finish it before Conan's time was out, then there might be a chance that he could survive. Ai dug into her work. She hadn't slept in over 40 hours. It had been 8 hours since she last ate. Even though her body was worn out, she wouldn't let it quit on her. Conan needed the cure. Even though he would never return her feelings, having Conan dead would hurt her worse. She would do anything to preserve the life of the only one she had dared to love. The only one who didn't love her back.
 
AU: Aren't I evil? Grin spreading across face Thanks to my sister for beta reading this. This is my first DC story. Please review so I know if you like it. Next chapter: Loss. Have fun.