Case Closed Fan Fiction ❯ Butterfly Kisses ❯ One-Shot

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

gotta...get...this...out...of...my...system....

DISCLAIMER: Detective Conan and all related characters do not belong to me (though I wish they do), neither does the song Butterfly Kisses, which was composed by Bob Carlisle for the wedding of his daughter (though I sometimes pretend that it would be my dad who would compose the song for MY wedding day sometime in the near future ^_^ ).

BTW, I don't know how old Ran was when her parents separated, but I took the liberties of guessing...please don't sue me...I'm invoking my poetic license...

* * * * * * * * * * *

BUTTERFLY KISSES

*There's two things I know for sure.

she was sent here from heaven,

and she's daddy's little girl.

As I drop to my knees by her bed at night,

she talks to Jesus, and I close my eyes.

And I thank God for all of the joy in

my life, But most of all, for...*

Kudo Shinichi raked a hand through his already-tousled brown hair. To say that he was agitated was putting it mildly.

That small act didn't escape Mouri Kogoro's eyes. The boy was unraveling at the edges, something he didn't think was possible. He was always calm whenever he was solving a murder mystery, cool as ice when he faced the Black Organization, and yet at the simple case of Ran's disappearance was breaking down his icy exterior. Maybe he did love her after all...

Shinichi went to sleep thinking that the happiest day of his whole life had finally come, only to be waken up by a phone call that sent his almost-perfect world crumbling down.

"Where have you taken my daughter?" Mouri Kogoro's voice had grated his ear over the phone.

Shinichi grimaced. Even after a year of being Conan, two years as Ran's boyfriend (at least that was the _official_ count), Mouri still irritates the heck out of him.

And Shinichi was positive that the feeling was mutual.

"What are you talking about?" Shinichi grumbled, still half-asleep.

"Where. Is. My. Daughter?" Kogoro repeated slowly. It was clear that he was trying hard not to blow his top. "It's bad enough that you're taking her away from me--"

Shinichi bolted upright. What was this guy talking about? he thought to himself. Mouri's rambling was interrupted; and Shinichi deduced, correctly, that the phone was taken away from him.

His estranged wife, Kisaki Eri, took the phone. "Ran didn't go home last night." She explained, a break in her voice belaying her calm tone. "We don't know where she is."

Shinichi had gone straight to the Mouri house after that, not even bothering with a shower.

"Maybe she's run off with the stripper?" Sonoko meekly suggested. "I mean, he was so gorgeous," her eyes glazed over slightly.

Most of Ran's friends (aka the cast of Detective Conan) had assembled in the now-defunct office of the Mouri Detective Agency to determine Ran's whereabouts.

"What?" Shinichi exploded. "She will not run off with a stripper. She's getting married to me. Today."

"Oi, Kudo, calm down." Hattori Heiji frowned at his friend. He and Toyama Kazuha had arrived the day before to celebrate the event with Kudo, neither of them expecting this tragedy. "Everyone know that Ran wouldn't do such a thing,"

"I can assure you that last night was just good, clean fun." Kazuha put in. "He wasn't her type, anyway."

"So there was a stripper!" Heiji interrupted. "How could it be good and clean then?"

"Let's just think this through calmly and reasonably." Eri suggested. "Did you look for her everywhere?"

Mouri nodded. He was obviously tired. "I woke up at two this morning, I checked on her. Her bed looked as if no one had slept on it." And he was awake ever since. He searched the house and the vicinity outside the house and finally woke Kazuha at one-thirty. At four he called his wife. At five began calling (and waking up) the neighbors. He called Shinichi at five-thirty.

Kazuha nodded. "Ran and I arrived here around one this morning, nothing seems amiss. I mean, we were fine and everything."

"Kazuha was the last person to see her. So that means she disappeared around one and two in the morning." Shinichi summarized. Where could she be? Then, a thought that chilled him to the bones entered his mind. But it couldn't be--

"Maybe they got to her," Shiho, formerly known as Ai Haibara, suggested. "I mean, we took out the organization base here, but that doesn't mean that they're down and out."

"Don't even go there!" Kazuha hissed at her. "I refuse to believe that!"

"Or maybe it was one of my cases," Mouri mumbled.

Shinichi highly doubted that.

"Or one of my client's enemies." Eri sighed.

Shinichi rubbed his temples. There was no sign of struggle. Ran was a strong girl who could take care of herself. If they took her, surely there would be some sign of a fight. If they took her in her sleep, then surely, they wouldn't bother to make her bed.

Something just didn't add up.

"Or maybe she changed her mind about marrying you," Mouri snorted as he glared at Shinichi.

Something snapped inside Shinichi. "Of all the--"

"Stop it!" Eri ordered. "This is not helping."

Mouri grunted then started to pace around the room. He then took a cigarette from his pocket and absentmindedly lit it.

"You shouldn't be doing that at a time like this," Eri scolded him as she took the cigarette and threw it away.

Mouri glared at her. He was about to retort something vengeful to his wife when something inside him softened. He remembered his daughter doing the exact same thing not too long ago...

*Butterfly kisses after bedtime prayer.

Stickin' little white flowers all up in her hair.

"Walk beside the pony daddy, it's my first ride."

"I know the cake looks funny,

daddy, but I sure tired."

Oh, with all that I've done wrong

I must have done something right

To deserve a hug every morning,

And butterfly kisses at night.*

"What are you doing daddy?" Seven-year old Ran asked her father crossly as she climbed up a chair to take her father's cigarette from her father's lips. "Mommy would be mad when she sees you."

Mouri didn't have the heart to tell his daughter that her mommy wouldn't see him smoking, she wouldn't come back to the house anymore. But all he did was stare at his daughter, an evil grin forming in his lips. "I just lit that cigarette, Ran. That's a waste of resources. And for that, you must pay!"

Ran squealed as she jumped off the chair and ran around the kitchen in an attempt to keep away from her father's hands.

But Mouri's long limbs soon caught up with her very short ones in the living room. He lifted her up and carried her to the couch where he slumped down, the little bundle in his arms squirming.

"Aw, daddy, no!" Ran giggled.

"You must be punished." Mouri said dramatically. "The Great Mouri Kogoro tickle attack!" He announced with a flourish as he laid his daughter on his lap and tickled her silly.

"Daddy!" Ran protested between peals of laughter. "No more, daddy! No more!"

*Sweet sixteen today,

She's looking like her momma

a little more everyday.

One part woman, the other part girl.

To perfume and makeup,

from ribbons and curls.

Trying her wings out in a great

big world. But I remember...*

"Mouri-san, are you alright?"

At the sound of his name Mouri jumped up with a start. "Huh? What?"

"We can't report this incident to the police yet, she still not missing for 24-hours." Eri was saying.

Shinichi nodded. "The best resort is to split up and try to find her. Then we can go to the police."

"Sonoko, you stay here and try calling your classmates in school." Heiji instructed.

Sonoko nodded. "I think I'll start by calling Dr. Araide."

"Stop that!" Shinichi snapped at her. "Ran and I are getting married today."

"Hey, it's always a possibility." Sonoko shrugged.

But Mouri knew otherwise. He knew that his daughter loved that--that--pain-in-the-behind boy. Even when he left her and only calls to make her cry, she still loved him. She still loves him.

"Maybe you better stay here, Kogoro," Eri suggested. "In case she comes back."

Mouri merely nodded in agreement, his eyes glaring at Shinichi. That boy who stole his little girl away.

*Butterfly kisses after bedtime prayer.

Stickin' little white flowers all up in her hair.

"You know how much I love you daddy,

But if you don't mind,

I'm only gonna kiss you on

the cheek the cheek this time."

With all that I've done wrong I must have done something right.

To deserve her love every morning,

And butterfly kisses at night.*

"Is something wrong, Ran?" Kogoro asked tentatively as he walked up to his daughter who was sitting by the window, watching the world below her.

Ran gave a little sigh. "It's nothing, dad." She gave her father a weak smile.

Kogoro's eyes narrowed. "It's that boy, isn't it? Did he make you cry again?" He demanded.

"Dad," Ran protested. "Shinichi's not a boy anymore. And he's not making me cry," then, she reached out and took her father's hands. "And I'm not a little girl anymore, daddy. I can take care of myself."

Kogoro turned around with a, "hmph!"

"Daddy," Ran called out to him.

Kogoro turned around expectantly.

"Mom and Shinichi's parents are coming over tonight for dinner. Please try not to fight with _any_ of them." Ran pleaded.

Kogoro merely shrugged as he once again turned away.

"And dad?"

"Yes, Ran?"

"I love you,"

Later that night, when everyone was seated around the dining table, Kogoro watched Shinichi with narrowed eyes. Something was wrong, very wrong. He could feel it in his bones.

"Everyone, Ran and I has an important announcement to make," Shinichi declared after dessert. "Ran?"

Ran nodded as tears began filling her eyes.

Shinichi reached for her hand under the table and gave it a squeeze.

"Last night," Ran began. "Last night Shinichi--"

"I asked her to marry me," Shinichi supplied.

"And I said yes,"

The announcement was met with stunned silence.

Then, Kudo Yukiko stood up and threw her arms around her future daughter-in-law. Her husband grinned as he congratulated the couple. Kisaki Eri clapped her hands in delight before she kissed Shinichi on the cheek. After the congratulations, Ran noticed that her father wasn't saying anything. He wasn't even moving.

"Dad?" Ran asked tentatively. "Are you OK, dad?"

"NOOOOOOO!!!!"

*All the precious time

Like the wind the years go by

Precious butterfly

Spread your wings and fly*

They were already gone for an hour. It was already seven in the morning. Sonoko was in the downstairs office, burning the phone lines. There was no trace of Ran anywhere.

Mouri Kogoro stared out the window, hoping for news. Any news. Not knowing where his daughter was driving him insane.

Then, he heard someone moaning.

Kogoro's eyes narrowed. That sound. There was something familiar with that sound.

Kogoro slowly traced the source of the sound. It was coming from his bedroom. He slowly opened the door that was slightly ajar.

"No," a voice inside pleaded.

Kogoro looked in. And he was shocked with what he saw.

"Ran!" Immediately, he ran towards the bed where his daughter lay, obviously having a bad dream. She was crying. "Ran, honey, please wake up,"

The moaning stopped. But the tears still flowed. Slowly, Ran opened her eyes. "Daddy!" She cried as she hugged her father fiercely. "Daddy,"

"Are you OK?"

Ran sniffled. "I had a bad dream," she said.

Kogoro hugged Ran tightly. "It's OK, baby. I'm here now." Kogoro waited patiently until his daughter had ceased crying. "Why are you sleeping here?" He asked as he gently wiped away the tears from her eyes.

Ran attempted a smile. "I saw you sleeping on the couch last night," she replied softly. "And I remembered how when I was little, I used to sleep here. And I thought that since this would be my last night here," her voice trailed off.

Silly Kogoro. He had searched everywhere for her except inside his room. He never thought...Then, he cringed involuntarily. He would surely pay for his oversight later. But then, no one else had thought to look in his room either...

"I made a mistake Ran," he admitted. "And because of that your wedding might be delayed a little."

To his surprise, Ran shook her head vigorously.

"I'm not getting married!" She announced, her eyes twinkling with determination.

"What?"

"In my dream, you were in trouble, but I couldn't help you, you were so far away, and Shinichi wouldn't let me. Something horrible happened, and I wasn't there to take care of you," Ran cried again as she held on to her father like a little girl. "I'm not getting married."

"But you love Kudo,"

"But I love you too," Ran replied. "And you don't like him. If I have to choose between him and you,"

"No!" Kogoro declared as he gently pushed his daughter away to look into her eyes. "We're not making you choose between us, Ran. I know you love us both, and both of us love you. I know we couldn't get along, but that's no reason to stop the marriage."

"But daddy!"

Kogoro shook his head. "I already had you for twenty years, Ran. You've been taking care of me for almost that long. And now's the time for some lucky guy to experience the love and joy that you've been giving me. And it's also high time that someone gives you that love and joy. And I know, that even if I don't like him (and that's putting it mildly), he will be the one to make you happy. And I want you to be happy, Ran."

"Daddy," tears were once again streaming down her face.

"I love you, too, Ran," Kogoro said as he felt his own eyes grow moist. "And if you don't marry that boy-er-man, I would ground you, for life."

Ran kissed her father and hugged him, as if she would never let go.

And for the first time since she was a little girl and she realized that her mother had left them, father and daughter cried together.

*She'll change her name today.

She'll make a promise,

and I'll give her away.

Standing in the bride room

just staring at her,

she asked me what I'm thinking,

and I said "I'm not sure,

I just feel like I'm loosing my baby girl."

Then she leaned over... and gave me...*

"She's so beautiful,"

"He's a lucky guy."

"The groom is so handsome,"

"I think I'm gonna cry…"

The wedding march. Walking down the aisle.

Ran took a deep breath before stepping inside the hotel where the wedding and the reception was being held. Her hands felt cold and clammy. Then, a pair of large, warm, and sure hands took hers.

Ran turned to look at her right side. Her father gave her a reassuring smile.

Ran smiled back.

At her left, her mother squeezed her arm.

Her parents were walking down the aisle with her. Her father had consented to give her away.

"I wouldn't give you to anyone less than the very best," Mouri had told him that morning.

Ran's eyes watered. But she took a deep, calming breath. Though Sonoko had used waterproof mascara, her friend made her promise that she wasn't going to cry. Her eyes traveled to the front of the hotel.

Shinichi was waiting for her. After a year of her waiting, it was finally his turn to wait. The thought made her smile.

Then, he caught her eyes. He gave her a warm, loving smile.

Somehow, between her, her parents, and Shinichi, she found the strength to get through the ceremony…

*Butterfly kisses with her momma there

Sticking little white flowers all up in her hair

"Walk me down the aisle, daddy, it's just

about time,"

"Does my wedding gown look pretty

daddy?" "Daddy don't cry"

With all that I've done wrong, I must have

done something right

To deserve her love every morning

And butterfly kisses

I couldn't ask God for more, man, this is

what love is

I know I've gotta let her go, but I'll always

remember

Every hug in the morning, and butterfly kisses...*

"Mouri-san," Shinichi began. "No, dad,"

Kogoro turned around and looked at his new son-in-law. He looked around, expecting to see Ran by Shinichi's side. After all, it was the wedding reception. He was surprised to see that she wasn't there.

Shinichi shrugged. "Sonoko absolutely insisted that the girls take their picture together."

Mouri nodded as he eyed Shinichi with suspicion. "What d'ya want?" He grumbled.

"I just want to thank you," Shinichi told him.

Mouri grunted. After all, the drama that morning was partly his own fault, so why was Kudo thanking him?

"Thank you for raising such a wonderful daughter," Shinichi said.

Though my wife would probably argue that it was my daughter who raised me, Mouri thought unto himself as he raised his bottle of beer to his lips.

"And thank you for talking her out of her cold feet." Shinichi finished.

Mouri choked. "How did you-"

"I was halfway around the neighborhood when I realized that Ran's probably at home," Shinichi explained. "So I went back and I pretty much heard everything,"

"Don't flatter yourself," Mouri snorted. "I didn't do it for you. I did it for her. You could make her happy." Then he stood up, drawing up to his full length. "But if ever you make her cry again," Mouri let his threat hang a bit.

Shinichi nodded. "I know. I swear, I'll do everything in my power to make her happy."

Mouri nodded. "Good. It's nice to know that we understand each other."

A few hours later, the newly-weds boarded their car, on their way to the airport for their honeymoon.

"Good bye my princess. Thank you for grazing my life with your presence." Mouri sighed as he stared at the vehicle that had long departed from his sight. "And if he ever makes you cry, I'll take you back. I'll kill him first, and then I'll take you back."

ßowarià

àendß

* * * * * * * * * * *

A/N:

This is my second fanfic, my first song fic, so please forgive the inconsistencies.

Anyway, you're probably wondering why I have an obsession with fanfics whose themes are related to weddings (my 1st fanfic is entitled The Case of the _Wedding_ Jitters). It's because I'm giving a not-so-subtle HINT to someone that I know and love...hehehe... Joke.

This fanfic is written by a true-blue papa's girl. =)