Case Closed Fan Fiction ❯ The Detective Prince ❯ The Count Down ( Chapter 43 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Detective Prince
Chapter 43
The Count Down

It was an early start for him that Saturday morning. He traveled around the city to get himself further accustomed to the many locations. His phone rang as he exited from an electronics shop, pulling it too his ear once stopping under a small tree.  

"Hey," Dick said answering the call. "What happened yesterday, where'd you disappear to when we got back?"

"Sorry about that," Tim said.  "There was something important I needed to attend to."

"No need to apologize, It's not like I lost any sleep or anything like that."

"I figured you wouldn't, or I'd have called to touch base," Tim said. "On another note, are you busy at the moment?"

"Nope, just giving myself a little tour of the city," Dick replied. "Why, did you want me to come over?"

"As a matter a fact I do," Tim said. "How soon can you be here?"

"Stay put, I'll be right over."

With that he slipped the phone back into his pocket. He whistled a low tune on his way there, looking too his watch which read five after eleven. He was surprised when he arrived to find the two of them standing outside of the apartment complex.

"I didn't know Conan was with you." Dick said stopping in front of the two.

"He came over about an hour ago." Tim informed.

"Why are we meeting down here," Dick asked. "Is there something you guys wanted to show me?"

"There's actually someone we want you to meet." Tim said.

"Let me guess, that doctor friend of yours," Dick said . "Mr. Agasa if I recall."

"Right on both accounts." Conan confirmed.

"How far is this place from here?"

"It's in walking distance, so a cab won't be necessary." Tim replied. "Besides the temperature is mild today."

"That's one good thing," Conan said. "We've had some pretty hot conditions for the past couple days, this is a nice change in pace."

"Careful you two, you wouldn't want to jinx it now would you?"

That was the last mention of the weather. They made their way down one street to the next, Conan pointing out several places Dick was unfamiliar with. This resulted in them becoming a little sidetracked. It wasn't until an hour later that they finally arrived to where they had set out to be.

"We're almost there," Conan said. "It's just down this street."

They could see him standing in the middle of the yard with his eyes aimed to the sky, noticing a large remote in his hands.

"What's he doing?" Tim questioned.

"Your guess is as good as mine." Conan said.

Out of curiosity they too looked up to the sky, watching as a metallic hand grabbed hold of a tennis ball falling down toward them.

"Oh what a surprise," Dr. Agasa said noticing the three. "I was not expecting you boys over."

"What's this you have flying around?" Conan asked as they approached.

"Just a little something I've been working on for quite some time," Hiroshi replied. "It's quite useful when working at a desk, it allows for you to grab anything you may need."

"Interesting stuff doc," Tim said. "Next you'll be telling us about some telekinetic device you put together."

"That's a little far fetched, something that would take years and much research to create."

"Well if anyone is able to do it, I'd put my money on you." Tim said.

"So who is this with you," Hiroshi asked lowering the metallic hand to the grass. "Are you a friend of Timothy?"

"More than that, we're basically family," Tim answered. "We've already told him all about you, so no need for an introduction."

"It's great to have you on our side Dr. Agasa." Dick said.

"Oh I see, you're a man of the night as well," Hiroshi said. "So how long have you been here?"

"Just arrived last week," Dick answered. "It's been an interesting one to say the least."

"Where's Haibara," Conan asked. "Is she inside?"

"Yes, she's working with something on the computer," Hiroshi informed. "Would the three of you like to come inside?"

"I don't see why not, we have nowhere else to be at the moment." Tim said.

Dr. Agasa picked the hand up from the ground, the three of them following behind as he walked to the front door.

"With all that's on my mind I almost forgot to ask you your name."

"Grayson, Dick Grayson."

"Well Mr. Grayson, it's good to meet you."

They closed the door behind them once in. Agasa then lead them across the room to where the computer sat.

"Ai, we have a guests who has come to meet you."

It took her a few seconds to respond. After finishing the last of what she was typing Ai took the time to look back to give them her attention.

"Hi, I'm Dick Grayson."

"Pleasure to meet you." Ai said facing the computer once again.

"I'll let the four of you get acquainted," Hiroshi said leaving the room. "I still have a few more tests to run on this thing."

She could hear him moving in from behind as she read over something, deciding she'd put it on hold.

"I take it you're friends with Tim?"

"More like brothers, we're always looking out for each other," Dick confirmed. "Though I must say, I'm really starting to warm up to Conan over here."

"Guess that makes the two of us." Conan said.

"I heard Tim gave you a stuffed animal at some theme park you all went to." Dick said directing his attention back too her. "What did you think of that?"

"It was nice of him." Ai replied.

"Do you cuddle with it at night?" Dick asked with a grin forming.

"What's he up too now?" Tim thought too himself.

Ai didn't respond too his question. The chair slightly moved forward that next second, Ai glimpsing up to see Dick leaning to the side of the chair.

"So, I see you like computers."

".. I suppose I do."

"That's cool, Tim happens to like computers too." Dick informed.

Tim brought a palm too his face with the shake of his head. Conan noticing this couldn't help but giggle. At this point it was obvious what he was trying to do. Tim quickly pressed down too his phone with a plan in mind.

"Oh look, Ran just sent me a message," Tim said. "It looks like she wants us to meet her at the mall."

"That's strange, because this morning I could have sworn that she told me she would be." Conan began only to have Tim put a hand too his mouth.

"Whelp, I guess we better get down there A.S.A.P," Tim said keeping his hand steady. "We all know how much Ran hates waiting."

"That was a little unexpected," Dick said pushing away from the chair. "It was nice meeting you Haibara, we'll be sure to stop by some time."

She watched as the three of them made their way over to the front door, leaving her to the silence of the room like a couple minutes prior.

"I don't know what it was about them, but they're defiantly up too something."

He finally slowed down once they reached the end of the block, waiting for the light to turn red for them to be able to cross the roadway.

"Why are we trying to cross here," Conan asked. "The malls that way."

"We're not going to the mall," Tim said. "I made that whole thing up."

"But I heard your phone ring," Conan said. "If that wasn't Ran who sent you a message then who was it?"

"It was no one," Tim informed. "I simply changed my ring tone in hopes of fooling the two of you."

"Why'd you do that?" Dick asked.

"You should be the last to ask," Tim said. "You were the one trying to instigate something back there."

"Come on Tim, you know I was only trying to have a little fun." Dick said with a smile.

"Yea, at my expense."

"Well you can't blame me, you're just too easy to pick on."

"Shinichi, back me up here will ya?"

"This is between you and him, I don't want any part of it."

"Huh, some sidekick you're turning out to be." Tim mumbled.

"Sidekick," Conan questioned . "Since when was it established that I'm your sidekick?"

"Well.. you have done a good job at following his orders." Dick replied.

"What orders, we're on equal ground here." Conan declared with the turn of his head.

"Nice, you're just as fun to pick on as Tim." Dick said patting him too his shoulder.

"Glad to be able to entertain you." Conan said rolling his eyes.

They walked for minutes to come. It didn't take long for them to realize they had no true sense of where they were going. Dick was the first to come to a stop, Conan and Tim doing the same after seeing him do so.

"Where now are we going?" Dick asked.

"I don't know, I was just following." Conan replied.

"I was under the impression we were burning off time."

"For what," Dick questioned. "I didn't know we were waiting on something."

"The main computer is going through an update, and once it's finished I can give those images a closer look."

"What images?" Conan asked.

"Something Heiji gave me back on my trip too Osaka." Tim replied. "A few close up shots of an incident that occurred."

"I don't see a point too us walking in circles," Conan said. "Let's head back to see if the scan is complete."

"Agreed, we're wasting time that could be used planning our next move." Dick added.

Tim looked too his watch to see it had been three hours since the scan had begun.

"It's had plenty of time to run its course," Tim thought while lowering his arm back too his side. "By the time we arrive the scan should be complete."

Not much was said on their way to the base. They were more focused than they had been all day. The sound of an alarm to the computer could be heard as they entered in through the entrance door. Tim took a seat to the computer chair, immediately shutting off the alarm that beeped loud to their ears.

"What was that all about?" Conan asked.

"Just a notification to let me know the scan is complete." Tim replied.

Dick sat to the other chair from behind, leaning back in relaxation. Conan on the other hand stood to the side of Tim, watching as he went to work on enhancing the photos. The room stayed silent for a good few minutes.

"How much longer until we have clear shots?"

He didn't reply.

"Hey Tim, how long do you think it will take you?"

Conan crossed his arms at his second failed attempt at getting his attention.

"Sorry about that Conan," Dick said. "Tim can become a little mute when it comes too his computers."

"As I can see."

"We'll have to forgive him, he's somewhat of a geek in that regard."

"Oh really," Conan said with a smile falling upon his face. "I always took him more for a nerd."

"Aren't they pretty much the same thing?"

"Point taken."

"Actually, they're not." Tim said looking up from the computer.

Both Conan and Dick looked too him in confusion.

"What do you mean?" Conan asked.

"A geek should not be confused with a nerd," Tim said. "Though similar, both have their distinct differences."

He could feel it within him, holding himself back as best as he could.

"Whatever you say Tim," Dick said laughingly. "They're the same as far as I know."

"A nerd is someone who is highly intelligent, yet very independent," Tim began. "They are considered by most to be loners, not usually very attractive, and tend to only work with those with a similar mind set."

They looked to one another, shocked he was actually giving them a full rundown.

"Geeks on the other hand have high imagination and aren't nearly as distant," Tim continued. "They're extremely advanced when it comes to computers and technology, their devotion to what they do out weighs that of your average ordinary person."

"... Hold on a second," Conan said uncrossing his arms. "You did not just tell us the difference between a geek and a nerd?"

"I actually wasn't finished," Tim informed. "I can break it down even further if you'd like, that's where you have the dorks and dweebs."

Dick couldn't contain himself any longer, shedding out the laughter which he contained inside. Conan did the same in the seconds that passed. Tim rolled his eyes at his two laughing comrades, directing his attention back to the computer screen.

"Is it so hard to have a mature discussion, even if it was for just one time?"

Their laughter came too a stop shortly after. Conan made his way too Dick's side, whispering into his ear once coming too a stop.

"So which one is he?"

"A geek, defiantly a geek." Dick replied.

"Couldn't agree more." Conan said.

They patiently waited for him to finish up with the pictures he had obtained. Every minute that passed seemingly longer than the last. Conan walked forward after hearing the snap of Tim's finger.

"What is it," Conan asked. "Have you finished editing the pictures taken?"

"Yep, everything's a go." Tim confirmed.

"Now we're talking," Conan said. "So what do we have?"

"Most everything here is pictures of the victims at the scene," Tim replied. "But check out the photo to the top right corner."

He enlarged it to where it took up the full screen.

"This is what we really should be looking at," Tim pointed. "Take a good look at that sideways 'w' imprinted to the back of his neck."

Conan pushed up to give it a closer look. It wasn't much but, everything seemed to be slowly coming together.

"That's not a 'w', it's an 'e'," Conan said. "I recognize that typeface, Bauhaus 93."

"Exactly," Tim said. "According too Heiji, Ryo also had this same marking to the back of his neck."

"What do you think it symbolizes," Conan asked. "If he and Ryo both were Black Yangs it must stand for something."

The two stood in thought for seconds to come, just as clueless as the other.

"Dick, what do you think?" Tim asked looking over too him.

"I'm just as stumped as you two."

"Maybe not." Conan said removing his hands from his pocket. "It's a hunch, but I think I may have an idea."

"An idea huh," Tim said. "Go ahead, I'd like to hear this."

"Do you remember when Heiji and I were captured by Scar Eyes?" Conan asked.

"Scar Eyes... Oh yea now I remember, he's one of the Outworlders," Tim said. "Down at the docks, correct?"

Conan nodded in confirmation.

"When we were held captive, Scar Eyes said he was from down west," Conan informed. "Osaka to be exact."

"Where are you going with this?" Tim asked.

"I had Dr. Agasa do a little digging for me shortly after our last encounter with Brutho," Conan said. "Turns out he lives down west himself."

"I see, so you think the Outworlders originated from down that way." Dick said.

"And if what I think those markings represent turn out to be true, that means the Black Yangs are from the east." Conan said.

"In that case the White Tiger could be closer than we think," Tim said. "He could even be somewhere here in Tokyo."

"It's funny how much we can learn in such a short amount of time," Dick said sitting up from the chair. "Now the question becomes, where to start looking."

"We're on a bit of a short leash," Conan said. "We'll need more than tatts and a few bodies if we plan on finding out where he's operating from."

"Which won't be easy." Dick said.

"They're right," Tim thought. "And choosing what to do next won't be easy, especially since we don't have much on this White Tiger or the Black Yangs for that matter."

The three remained silent for a short time, figuring out what their next move would be. Conan leaned to one of the walls as his phone went off. He pulled it from within his pocket, looking to the others after reading the message.

"I gotta go," Conan said. "Ran needs me back at the house."

"You sure this isn't a ring change?" Dick jokingly asked.

"I assure you this isn't another ring tone change," Conan said turning for the door. "That's Tim's playbook."

"You hear that Tim," Dick said. "You have your own little scheme book now."

"At least I'm not the one who sported pixie boots and underwear for all those years."

"Pixie boots and underwear," Conan questioned while looking back to the two of them. "What was that I heard?"

"Oh it's nothing," Dick said waving his hands back and forth with a smile coming too his face. "Run along now, we'll call you whenever we have any new information."

With that he left the room, the electronic door closing behind shortly after.

"I wonder what that was all about." Conan thought too himself.

Too his pleasure the temperature had not risen much from what it had been earlier. He slowly made his way home, taking each step at a time. Once there he darted up the stairs, anxious to find out what it was she had messaged him about. He walked in through the front door to immediately see Ran come out from within her room.

"Sorry I called you away from your friends," Ran apologized. "I'm glad you were able to make it here so quickly."

"It's ok, we can always reschedule for a later time." Conan said.

"So which one do you think I should wear?" Ran asked pulling two different shirts from behind her back.

"The purple one." Conan answered.

"That's exactly what I was thinking." Ran said heading back for her room.

He leaned to the side of the wall as he waited for her to return. Surprisingly it didn't take long for her to do so.

"So how do I look?"

"Perfect," Conan replied. "So what's this all about, are we going somewhere?"

"As a matter a fact we are, I think today is the perfect time for the three of us to go out," Ran confirmed. "You didn't say anything too him, did you?"

"Of course not," Conan replied. "Where is he, I didn't see him in the office on my way up."

"I spoke with him over the phone about thirty minutes ago," Ran said. "He should be here any minute now."

Within a couple seconds they could hear the door to the office room slam shut.

"Sounds like he's home." Conan said.

"Stay here," Ran instructed. "I'm going to go check on him."

"I wonder what has him so heated." Conan thought.

Everything had remained consistently busy throughout the day up until sun down. He sat to the darkness of his office, the trail of the days events looming in his mind. A soft knock came from the other side of the door.

"Come in, the doors unlocked."

The door slowly  slid open in the following seconds.

"It's so dark in here Megure," Miwako said entering. "Why do you have the lights off?"

"I needed some time to think, and that was the best way to help me do so," Juzo replied. "So what is it you want to speak too me about?"

"It's about the latest case involving another dead officer," Miwako answered. "I thought now would be a good time to go over the latest details."

"Sounds good to me," Juzo said. "Have they diagnosed a cause of death?"

"Death by drowning is what has been recorded."

Miwako turned at the sudden sound of someone running in from behind.

"Sorry I'm late Inspector Megure," Wataru said catching his breath. "You wanted to talk too me about something?"

"Sato could you give the two of us a minute," Juzo asked. "We won't be long."   

"Yes sir."

He waited for her to leave, sitting up in his chair once she did.

"What is it you wanted to talk too me about?" Wataru asked.

"Tell me Takagi, how have you been feeling for these past few weeks?"

"How have I been feeling," Wataru questioned. "What do you mean by that?"

"You know you're one of my most trusted men, right?"

"Of course," Wataru said walking toward him. "What's wrong, is there something important you need to tell me?"

"Yes, and I also need you to keep a secret."

"A secret... what kind of secret?"

The door to the room flew shut causing him to jump. It was pitch dark for the first few seconds before the lights to the room were turned on.

"Takagi, there's someone I want you to meet." Juzo pointed.

He turned around, and there he was, standing with his back leaned to the door.

"It's great to finally meet you, Officer Takagi."

"I'm sure you recognize him," Juzo said standing from his chair. "His names Red Robin."

"But Inspector," Wataru said looking back too him. "Why, I don't understand."

"He's not what you think," Juzo said. "Red Robin may not be a lawman but he's defiantly on our side, him saving my life is sealed proof of that."

"I still don't understand."

"Try not to," Red Robin said stepping up too him. "You'll hurt your head if you do too much thinking, we'll explain the best way we can."

"So you're not a killer or thief?" Wataru asked.

"Correct, I'm neither of those things," Red Robin replied. "All I want is to put a stop to these recent ongoing activities."

"You mean the random killings of the many police officers?"

He nodded.

"There's more too it than that, but that's on the surface of it all." Red Robin said. "Inspector, about what time was it when the latest body was discovered."

"Earlier this evening around 6 PM behind a restaurant," Juzo informed. "Death has been declared by drowning, a water hose was found near the body."

"Someone must have forced it into their throat," Red Robin said. "What a way to go."

"There was also a slash mark to the chest area," Juzo added. "At this point we can assume it's the killers signature."

"Was a message left at the scene as well?"

"No, but the killer did leave another note behind," Juzo said. "This time with the number nine attached."

Red Robin stood back in silence, absorbing in all they knew. Megure walked up too his side after a few passing moments.

"What are you thinking?" Juzo asked.

"The numbers," Red Robin replied. "I can't help but think they represent some kind of count down."

"A count down," Juzo questioned. "For what?"

"Don't know yet," Red Robin answered. "Then we have the change in the culprit's method of killing, the water hose may in fact be a hint at what's to come."

"Great thinking," Juzo commented. "I'll have my men work that angle."

"Good, because we need to try and be prepared for whatever this guy may have planned."

"So why me," Wataru asked coming back into the picture. "Out of all the others, why choose me to help you?"

"It was actually between you and two others," Megure informed. "After I gave him a description on the three of you, he chose you out of the select few."

"Let's hope I made the right choice," Red Robin said turning for the window. "Give him a complete rundown Inspector, I'll be seeing the two of you in the next few days."

"Leaving so soon?" Juzo asked.

"Crime never takes a break, and I have somewhere I need to be."

They watched as he leaped out of the window, leaving them to the quietness of the room.

Red Robin swinged too a building nearby where he awaited, landing right to the side of him.

"How'd it go in there?"

"He had questions just as we thought," Red Robin replied. "But I think once it sinks he'll make for a valuable ally."

"So when are you going to introduce me?"

"I didn't think bringing Takagi into the fold and introducing you all in the same night would have flowed very well," Red Robin said. "But come our next meeting Nightwing shall attend."

"Sounds good, but I still feel you should have chosen Officer Sato out of the three," Nightwing said. "I heard the girl has some spiffy moves."  

"That or you just find her attractive."

"And you don't?"

"I'm heading back to the base," Red Robin said reaching for his grappler. "I want to look over those images once more, I'll see you tomorrow."

"See you then." Nightwing said watching as he swung off into the night.

He had slept through most of the night without any complications. It wasn't until around nine the next morning that someone called, awaking him from his deep sleep. He rolled out of bed to find his phone laying to the ground.

"I wonder who could be calling at this time." Conan said reaching down and pulling it up too his ear. "Hello?"

"I'm glad you picked up."

"Oh hey Haibara," Conan said. "What promoted you to call?"

"It's about yesterday," Ai replied. "Your friends were acting rather strange."

"Don't pay them any mind," Conan said. "They can be a little outgoing when they're together."

"And if that wasn't enough, Mr. Grayson just showed up here about fifteen minutes ago." Ai informed.

"Did he now," Conan said. "What's he doing there?"

"He and Agasa took off in the car to go somewhere," Ai replied. "He said they wouldn't be long."

"Maybe Dick's just interested in his line of work," Conan said. "He seemed pretty thrilled after seeing Agasa's flying hand yesterday."

"Be careful Shinichi, there's something suspicious about those Gotham boys."

He could hear his name being called from the other room as he sat to the side of the bed.

"I'm going to have to call you back," Conan said. "Ran's calling me."

"Well, get back too me whenever you get the chance."

"Will do Haibara."

After hanging up Conan walked over to the dresser to find something to wear for the day. Once dressed he placed a cap to the top of his head, making his way out to see what she had called him for. He walked out of his room to find Ran chatting with Tim near the front entrance.

"There you are," Ran said looking his way. "What took you so long?"

"I was getting dressed." Conan answered.

"Ran told me about what happened yesterday," Tim said. "I'm sorry about your planned day being put on hold, those killings must have really put him on edge."

"No worries, we plan on trying again tomorrow." Ran said.

"Why not today?" Conan asked.

"Tim's already asked for our company today." Ran replied.

"So what are we going to do?" Conan asked looking up too him.

"Why ruin the surprise," Tim said opening the door. "You'll find out in a few hours, in the mean time there's something I need to talk to you about."

"What do you need to talk too him about?" Ran asked.

"Guy talk," Tim replied. "Come on Conan."

Conan followed him out through the front door. Ran watched them from the top of the stairs as they headed out.

"We'll be back no later than an hour." Tim said.

"I'll be waiting." Ran said. "And don't you be taking him anywhere someone his age shouldn't be."

"Your request has been well noted."

"That's all I needed to hear." Ran said closing the door.

Conan looked up too Tim as they continued to walk, resting his hands into the comfort of his pocket.

"What is it you want to talk about?" Conan asked.

"Not here," Tim replied. "We'll talk as soon as we get there."

"There," Conan thought. "Where is he taking me?"

To Be Continued














 


Converting /tmp/phpbqKoFJ to /dev/stdout