Case Closed Fan Fiction ❯ The Detective Prince ❯ Wrapped Up ( Chapter 46 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Detective Prince
Chapter 46
Wrapped Up

He stood at the side of the chair as the computer slowly loaded, lowering his phone down at his side.

"So what is it we're supposed to be looking for?" Ai asked glimpsing down at him.

"I'm not sure yet, he hasn't told me." Conan replied.

It only took a few seconds for the computer to fully load. He then brought the phone back to the side of his ear.

"Alright Dick, we're ready." Conan said setting his phone on speaker.

"I need you to pull up any information you can find on a Fredreck Belmonta," Dick said. "I'm not sure what her last name is, but see if you can find anything on a Kaimeil, she works at Sea Top as well."

Ai typed both names into the search bar before launching a search.

"I've heard of that place before, what are you doing at Sea Top anyway?" Conan asked.

"Not what I expected I would be doing," Dick replied. "There's been a murder."

"A murder," Conan exclaimed. "Do you want me to meet up with you, I could be there in a matter of minutes."

"They've got a lot of security outside, I don't think you'd even be able to get in," Dick stated. "I think I'll be just fine handling this one along with the police."

"What did you need those two names for," Conan asked. "Are they suspects?"

"Not exactly, I just think it would be better if I had a little more information on the two," Dick replied. "We already have our suspects lined up, who they're questioning as we speak."

"Haibara do you have anything yet?" Conan asked looking her way.

She nodded in response.

"Kaimeil's last name is Heng," Ai informed. "She has quite the history in management after graduating."

"What about Belmonta," Conan asked. "What were you able to find on him?"

"Not much, all that's here is his hiring by a Mr. Boldien," Ai stated. "Other than that, nothing."

"Hey Dick did you get all of that?" Conan asked.

"Loud and clear," Dick confirmed. "Thanks for your assistance."

"No problem," Conan said. "We'll call you back if we find any additional information."

"Thanks, I'll keep my ears peeled."

From there the two of them hung up. He looked over at the kitchen doors while placing his phone back into his pocket, walking over to them. Once there he pushed the doors to the side to rejoin the others who had already begun questioning the three suspects.

"What Haibara was able to find doesn't allude from our prime suspects," Dick thought. "But I do find it strange she wasn't able to find more on Fredreck."

Megure looked over his shoulder as he approached, turning to face him after he came to a stop.

"There you are, I was wondering how long you'd be." Juzo said.

"So what have we learned thus far?"

"We haven't questioned any of them yet," Juzo informed. "We sent Mrs. Sulak to go and retrieve the survalliance footage, once she returns we'll begin the questioning process."

"Did someone go with her?" Dick asked.

"I sent Officer Celik to escort her there," Juzo replied. "They should be back any minute now."

Surely enough they made their way back within that next minute.

"Here are all four of the videos which covered the kitchen." Officer Celik said handing them over to Inspector Megure.

"Great, we'll have a look at them in just a moment," Juzo said as he directed his attention to Chef Yuki. "Tell me Mr. Yuki, how was your relationship with Renin?"

"We've had our ups and downs in the past," Yuki admitted. "But we've been on very good terms for the past year or so, why do you ask Inspector?"

"Why is it you two weren't always on good terms?" Kogoro asked.

"I guess it really has to do with our competitive nature," Chef Yuki replied. "Whenever opportunities seemed to arise he was always the one to be called to the stand, being chosen over me more times than I can remember."

"From what he just said that puts him at the tip of our list," Dick thought to himself. "Then again, why tell us all of this?"

He then looked over at Bik who stood with her eyes fixated on Renin's body, which still lay at the front of the room.

"What about you Mrs. Sulak," Juzo asked stepping in front of her. "How was your relationship with Renin?"

She nervously looked at the ground, not replying to his question.

"Is something wrong?" Juzo asked.  

She still didn't answer, slowly turning to look the other way.

"Why don't you tell him Bik," Someone said as they walked up from behind. "About your little secret."

She spun around at the familiar voice, more than surprised to see him.

"Anguó what are you doing here?"

"I know all about your little affair you had with him," Anguó stated. "That's why I invited detective Mouri here, he's one of the few people I know that could have exposed the truth."

"I'd never do that to you Anguó!" Bik denied.

"You've always been a bad liar." Anguó said still in disbelief. "I know how much time you spent with him this past month."

"You're wrong," Kaimeil said stepping in between the two. "Your wife speaks the truth."

"And how do you know that," Anguó spat. "Do you have the ability to read minds?!"

"Being the fact I was with her every time they were together, I'd have known if something was going on between the two," Kaimeil stated. "The truth is, for the past two months Bik had been trying to get the two of us back together."

"Say what," Kogoro said jumping in. "You used to date Chef Renin?"

"That's right," Kaimeil confirmed. "I was even his fiance at one point."

"So what happened," Kogoro asked. "Why did the two of you separate?"

"It wasn't just one incident, but several which seemed to stack up over time." Kaimeil replied. "Not to mention the constant arguing."

"Renin said he still loved her, he was like a big brother to me," Bik added on. "That's why I decided to try and mend the broken relationship between them."

"The more I hear, the less I'm convinced that Bik is the one who did it," Dick thought. "It's to early to name the culprit, I'll need a little more to pin point who it is."

The room fell silent for the next few moments. Kogoro looked over at Anguó who did the same in return.

"Why are you looking at me like that," Anguó questioned. "Don't tell me you think I did it, I was with you when he was killed remember?"

"We have to take everything into account," Kogoro said. "There's still the possibility that someone in this room took the liberty of hiring a hitman."

"And let me guess, you think I was the one who did it."

"I'm not goanna point fingers, we'll wait until all the evidence has been examined," Kogoro said turning to face Juzo. "I think it's time we gave that video footage a look."

"They're all ready setting up everything at that back table," Juzo pointed. "It should be ready to view momentarily."

"What we're able to gain from those tapes could make a break in this case, one which we could really use." Kogoro thought.

Both Juzo and Kogoro made their way to the back table. Dick followed after the two a few seconds later. The three anxiously waited at the side of the table as the final adjustments were made.

"Looks like we're good to go." One of the officers said giving them a thumbs up.

"Great job," Juzo stated. "We'll take over from here."

He nodded his head as he and another officer stepped aside.

"Which tape are we going to view first?" Kogoro questioned.

"I say we go with the one that was aimed at the back doors," Dick suggested. "If that's where the murder occurred we might just get a clear shot of our killer."

"Good thinking Grayson," Juzo commented. "We'll start with that one, it should save us some time being the fact we won't need to look at any of the others."

"So which one is it," Kogoro asked giving the stack of tapes a look. "None of these are labeled."

Dick reached into the pile, deciding to grab the third one down.

"We'll never know unless we put them in," Dick said. "How about we try this one first."

He handed the tape to Juzo who slid it into place. The video footage appeared on the screen in the following second.

"Nice guess, you actually picked the right one." Kogoro said.

"We'll have to forward this a bit," Juzo said noticing  the time in the lower corner of the screen. "This is set back a couple hours before the murder occurred."

The three of them stood in wait as the video fast forward. This lasted for a little over a minute before Kogoro pressed down on the play button.

"We'll stop it right about here," Kogoro said. "This was around the last time he was seen alive, which was at about thirty after three."

"Make sure the two of you keep your eyes peeled," Juzo said. "Whatever we're hoping to find is going to be within the next few minutes of this tape."

Not another word was spoken, the three fixating their eyes at the screen. Four minutes into the tape both chef's along with Mrs. Sulak entered into the kitchen through the main doors.

"Looks like it's show time." Dick thought.

They continued to watch as Bik emptied out one of the trash bins before heading out the back door with it in hand. She returned moments later only to walk back out the main door.

"That's when I saw her come back out when I was sitting at the back table with Anguó." Kogoro informed.

"This pretty much clears her from our suspect list," Juzo said. "But that still doesn't prove she wasn't some how involved."

This left Yuki and Renin as the only two left in the kitchen. They kept light conversation while they sorted some things around the room. The back door opened once more, both chefs looking over as a man dressed in a crisp black suit entered.

"I wonder who this guy is." Dick said.

"My thought exactly." Kogoro agreed.

They watched as the man took a step toward Renin. The two exchanged a few words which they couldn't quite pick up. What happened next left the three of them a bit confused. Chef Renin grabbed one of the wheeled tables while following the mystery man through the back door.

"This case just keeps getting more complex by the second." Kogoro said.

Another minute passed as they continued looking on. Chef Yuki headed over to the back door as well, opening it to find a large tray table sitting alone out there with a white sheet over it. He quickly pulled it in, closing the door after doing so.

"This must be the part where he came back out to rejoin the rest of us." Kogoro said.

"There's way to many loose ends," Dick stated. "I think it's time we had another word with Mr. Yuki."

Ninzaburo approached which caused the three to look his way.

"How much longer until we can start releasing some people," Ninzaburo asked. "A lot of them are becoming rather impatient."

"They'll have to hold off a little longer," Juzo replied. "Go and fetch Chef Yuki, I would like to have another word with him."

"Right away." Ninzaburo said with a nod.

The three of them waited for him to return, Yuki walking at his side once he did.

"You wanted to see me inspector?"

"Come have a look here," Juzo instructed. "Would you happen to know who this man is?"

Yuki came to a stop once getting a visual of the screen, watching as Inspector Megure froze the tape once reaching a certain point.

"Do you know who that is?" Juzo asked.

"Of course I do," Chef Yuki confirmed. "That's Eldo Seaumour, he's the guy who handles all the wide spread stuff."

"What do you mean by that?" Kogoro asked.

"For awhile now we've been wanting to expand the company grounds," Yuki replied. "Not only having Sea Top here in Tokyo, but throughout all Japan."

"So what was he doing here today," Dick asked. "Do you know what he said to Mr. Renin before the two of them walked out through that back door?"

"I was to busy cleaning up the counters to really pay attention to what either of them were talking about," Yuki replied. "The only time I looked away from what I was doing was when Mr. Seaumour spoke directly to me."

"What did he say to you?" Kogoro asked.

"We were out of a few ingredients in the kitchen, so he took one of the tables out back to refill on some things." Yuki replied.

"Did you find this to be strange," Juzo asked. "Was that something Mr. Seaumour usually did on a normal basis?"

"No, that was the first time he's ever done that," Chef Yuki answered. "I asked him why he couldn't just bring in the extra needed supplies, but he said it would be to heavy to carry."

"Then what happened, did you hear any noise out back?" Juzo asked.

He shook his head from side to side in response.

"It was dead silent," Chef Yuki stated. "Wait..... I do remember hearing something, the sound of something loading up."

"Do you mean like an engine?" Dick asked.

"Perhaps."

"So when did you decide to open the door?" Kogoro questioned.

"I waited for a little under a minute, that's when I opened it to find the table sitting there," Chef Yuki confirmed. "I just assumed he had already loaded everything I needed for the show."

"So that’s the last time you saw him alive." Juzo said.

"I swear I had nothing to do with it," Yuki said. "I was just as surprised as anyone when his body was first discovered under that sheet."

"Tell us what you know about this," Dick said stepping up to him. "I found this handkerchief near the dumpster out back, do you happen to know who it belongs to?"

He gave it a seconds look, nodding his head in response.

"That belongs to Renin, no doubt about it."

Dick handed it over to Inspector Megure who then gave it to one of the other officers.

"Take this to the lab," Juzo instructed. "I want a full examination on it, check for anything you can find."

"Yes sir."

"We still don't have enough evidence to charge anyone," Ninzaburo said. "I think our best bet would be to ask everyone what they saw during the time leading up to the murder."

"With any luck we’ll gain something that might get us one step closer to solving this thing." Kogoro said in agreement.

"Mr. Yuki if you don't mind, could you try getting ahold of Eldo," Juzo asked. "I'd like to have a word with him as well."

"Right away."

They made their way back over to the others to find most everyone had taken a seat around the tables. Juzo quickly gained their attention with a loud whistle, everyone looking over to face him.

"We’re just about done; we only have a few last questions to ask." Juzo said.

"Mr. Seaumour dropped by not to long ago," Kogoro said looking over at Bik and Fredreck. "Did either of you happen to see him?"

"I had no idea he was stopping by today." Bik replied.

"Nor did I," Fredreck said. "Does this have something to do with the case?"

"We checked the cameras that covered the back door," Kogoro informed. "He was the last one seen with Renin before his death."

"That's strange, I don't recall seeing him come through the front doors." Bik said.

"That's because he didn't," Ninzaburo informed. "He headed straight to the back of the building, if we could figure out exactly when that was it could really help out."

"Doesn't the tape already confirm that?" Kogoro questioned.

"Maybe, but who's to say he wasn't waiting outside the door for a short period?" Ninzaburo said.

"He does make a point." Kogoro thought.

There was absolutely nothing to find on him. She searched through numerous files only to come up with the same results every time. She turned in the chair to see him pacing back and forth. He stopped once noticing her eyes locked on him.

"So what's the verdict," Conan asked. "Were you able to find any additional information on Eldo Seaumour?"

There was no need to ask, the look in her eyes said it all. He made his way over to the side of the chair, taking a few moments to think.

"What now?" Ai asked.

"You don't come across many people who lack such little information, seems rather suspicious," Conan said. "I wouldn't be surprised if he's changed his name at some point in time."

"Would you like me to look into that possibility?"

"Don't bother," Conan replied. "By the time we get an answer it might not matter, besides we have enough as it is."

"We do?"

"Of course," Conan said as he reached down for his phone. "The lack of information on Seaumour is a red flag, I'm going to let Grayson know right away."

Everyone remained quiet while they patiently waited. He finally made his way over after trying to phone him several times.

"It's no use," Chef Yuki said. "Eldo is not answering his phone."

"What about a house phone," Juzo asked. "Did you try reaching him from that number as well?"

"Only to receive the same results," Yuki confirmed. "It's more than strange if you ask me, Seaumour almost always answers his phone unless he's meeting with someone."

"At this point it puts him at the top of our suspect list." Ninzaburo declared.

"Do you really think he would do it," Chef Yuki questioned. "He's all about making money, and since the time Renin joined Sea Top sales have been pretty stellar."

"I don't want to point fingers," Juzo stated. "But he was the last man seen with Renin before his death."

The three of them turned at the sound of someone coming to a stop from the side of them.

"About a minute ago I overheard you mention someone walking to the back of the restaurant instead of coming in through the front doors."

"Mrs. Kisaki, I didn't even notice you were here." Juzo said.

"That's right," Ninzaburo confirmed. "Did you happen to see who walked around the side of the building?"

"As a matter a fact I did."

"At about what time was that?" Juzo asked.

"I don't recall the exact time," Eri replied. "Kogoro might be able to, being the fact it happened at the same time he arrived."

He looked over at the sound of his name being spoken.

"Are you positive about that," Kogoro questioned. "I don't remember anyone walking next to me."

"He was a few feet behind you," Eri informed. "That's probably why you didn't take notice of him."

"If we showed you some video footage do you believe you could identify the man you saw?" Juzo asked.

"No doubt about it."

"Alright," Juzo said. "Ninzaburo can you go and grab the tape?"

"Right away."

Eri watched the tape once he brought it over, confirming the man she had seen was indeed Eldo Seaumour. He stood at the far side of the room, not wanting to be interrupted by any of the commotion that was going on. Once finished with his phone conversation he made his way back to their small little group.

"What were you doing over there," Kogoro whispered. "Another important call?"

"I guess you could say that," Dick replied. "So, did I miss anything?"

"Not much, the only thing we've been able to gather is the time Mr. Seaumour arrived," Kogoro replied. "Which happened to be at the same time as I did."

"Any idea on how he got here," Dick asked. "Did anyone happen to spot his car when he pulled in?"

"He didn't arrive in a car," Eri informed. "He came out of a bus that parked across the street at a bus stop."

"Very insightful of her," Dick thought. "But that still doesn't get us any closer to locking down our killer, though it does raise some questions."

"I have a scheduled appointment in forty five minutes," Fredreck said looking down at his watch. "Do you think it would be ok  if I departed?"

"Not just yet," Juzo said. "I'd like to ask the three of you a few last questions."

"Go right ahead."

"Tell me Mr. Belmonta, how was your relationship with Renin?"

"A great one," Fredreck replied. "He was always a pleasure to be around."

"When was the last time you saw him?"

"Last week some time," Fredreck replied. "But I did just try calling him two minutes ago, he has yet to call me back of course."

"What about you Mrs. Sulak," Juzo questioned. "Putting your intent on getting the two of them back together, how did you feel about Mr. Renin when around him?"

"He was a very lively guy, being around him was always heartwarming."

Juzo then looked over at Anguó and Kaimeil.

"I think we know where the two of you stand on this whole ordeal." Juzo said.

"I'm really sorry for all of this," Anguó apologized. "I should have handled this whole thing differently."

A grin came upon his face, everything had finally slid into place.

"And just like that the culprit is revealed," Dick thought. "There's just one last thing I need to do."

He walked up to Ninzaburo side, whispering into his ear.

"I'll be right back," Dick said. "Make sure no one leaves, I know who the killer is."

"You do?" Ninzaburo asked in shock.

"As clear as day light," Dick confirmed. "Just make sure no one leaves."

"I'll see to it that's the case." Ninzaburo said.

With that he took off running, speeding past the kitchen doors.

"Grayson where are you going?!" Kogoro called out.

"What's he up to now?" Juzo questioned.

"Let's give him some time, I think he might be onto something." Ninzaburo said.

He returned minutes later, heading over to Ninzaburo's side to whisper something into his ear once more. He nodded his head in compliance, everyone watching as Ninzaburo walked out through the front doors.

"Where's he going?" Kaimeil asked.

"You'll know soon enough," Dick stated. "Let's get started shall we."

"Started, for what?" Anguó asked.

"I think it's time we put this whole thing to rest," Dick began. "I know who killed Renin, the why is the only unanswered factor."

"Who was the one to kill him," Eri asked. "Was it Eldo Seaumour?"

"Bingo," Dick remarked with the snap of his finger. "You're halfway there."

"What do you mean she's halfway there," Kogoro questioned. "Did he do it or not?"

"I'll skip all the small talk and dive right into it," Dick said. "The culprit actually had a partner in their little scheme."

"A partner," Bik said looking at those that surrounded her. "Are you saying it's one of us?"

"That's right," Dick pointed. "And it's you.... Fred Belmonta."

"What," Fredreck exclaimed. "How can you say I had something to do with this, I didn't arrive until after he was killed!"

"He has a point," Juzo said. "Surely you have evidence to back your claims."

"At first I couldn't understand the gloves and coat," Dick continued. "But it all makes sense now."

"What does his gloves and coat have to do with anything?" Kogoro asked.

"Tell me Kaimeil, have you ever seen Fredreck and Eldo together?" Dick asked.

She took a few moments to think about his question, shaking her head from side to side.

"No, I haven't."

"What about you Mrs. Sulak?"

Bik gave him the same response.

"I hardly see what this has to do with the death of Mr. Renin." Fredreck said.

"You said the last time you spoke with Renin was a few days ago," Dick stated. "I find that funny, because when we asked you that exact same question earlier you said you saw him this morning."

"That's right." Kogoro said.

"Get to the punch line already." Fredreck snapped.

"Hold your horses, I'm almost finished," Dick stated. "You also said you tried calling Eldo a few minutes ago, if that's true than that should be the last number you dialed correct?"

"So what if it is?"

"Could you try calling him once more?" Dick asked.

He did as he said, no one answering on the other end.

"He's not picking up," Fredreck said. "Is that enough for you?"

Dick didn't reply. A grin came back to his face as he waited. Everyone was confused by this, Inspector Megure deciding to take a few steps toward him.

"Are you done, or do you have actual proof?" Juzo asked.

Dick pointed at the entrance doors, everyone looking over as Ninzaburo walked back in with a phone in hand.

"It was where you said it would be." Ninzaburo stated.

"Hold on," Juzo said. "What's going on here?"

"I just had Officer Shiratori walk out to Fredreck's car," Dick informed. "All I asked him to do is look to see if he could find a ringing phone."

"And surely enough, I did." Ninzaburo said holding it up.

"If that's the case," Juzo said looking over at Fredreck. "That means...."

"That means Fredreck and Eldo are one in the same," Dick finished. "That's why Fredreck wore the coat and gloves, to make himself look more imposing than his alter ego."

"Incredible," Juzo remarked. "How were you able to figure that out?"

"It was the way he dressed, the way he spoke," Dick replied. "But I did have a little outside help from a certain detective, one you know quite well Inspector."

"And who might that be?"

"Shinichi Kudo," Dick replied. "He's the one who gave me a briefing on Mr. Belmonta, things just didn't add up."

"He always seems to find a way to help." Juzo thought to himself.

His fits clenched, glaring over at him as anger mounted up inside.

"But he arrived from taking a bus earlier," Eri pointed out. "If he truly is Eldo as well, where was his car hidden?"

"Far back behind this restaurant," Dick answered. "I found a small puddle of oil sitting in a corner, which says a vehicle had previously occupied that space."

"That would explain that sound I heard," Chef Yuki said. "It must have been the sound of his car taking off."

"Good thing you heard it," Dick stated. "That's what tipped me off."

"What about the murder weapon," Eri asked. "Do you happen to know where that is to?"

"I'm betting he has it hidden in his jacket somewhere." Kogoro said.

"So what do you say Fredreck," Dick asked with a taunting smirk. "Is that about a wrap?"

To Be Continued














Converting /tmp/phpA8bbP0 to /dev/stdout