Case Closed Fan Fiction ❯ The Detective Prince ❯ Figuring The Clues ( Chapter 45 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Detective Prince
Chapter 45
Figuring The Clues

He wrote down his answer to the final question on the last page of the packet, the sound of the school bell ringing as he walked over to turn it in.

"Perfect timing." Conan said dropping it into the basket.

"For those of you who didn't finish, it's homework." Sumiko stated as everyone began packing up.

Conan was the first of his friends to leave the room, waiting for them once reaching the school yard. The four of them came out at about the same time, joining Conan who had just pulled his ball from out of his bag.

"I can't believe you finished that packet so quickly," Ayumi said. "I think you're the only one who completed the whole thing."

"I got to the last page," Mitsuhiko said. "But not even I finished."

"My studying must have paid off."

"Studying is so overrated." Genta muttered to himself.

"Make sure you two ask about Wednesday." Mitsuhiko reminded.

"What do we plan on going to see?" Ayumi asked.

"How about The Goats Medallion," Mitsuhiko suggested. "I heard it's supposed to be packed with lots of drama and action."

"Sounds more like a serious comedy." Conan thought.

"How long has it been playing for?" Genta asked.

"It's only been out in the theater for three days." Mitsuhiko replied.

"I think that's what we should go see," Ayumi said. "The title alone already has me interested."

"You can count me in as well," Genta said. "What about you Conan, how's The Goats Medallion sound to you?"

He thought about it for a second, looking over at Haibara who nodded her head.

"The Goats Medallion it is." Conan finally answered.  

It was cold silent in the room, the obvious tension keeping everyone in their current positions. The two of them stared into the others eyes, waiting for the other to make the next move.

"So, Dick Grayson huh," Kogoro said taking a step around him. "Haven't heard that name before, you must not be from around here."

"Far from it." Dick confirmed.

"I saw you standing over in that corner earlier," Kogoro pointed. "Almost as if you were waiting for something, wanna tell me what you're doing here?"

"I'm actually waiting for someone."

"Is that so?" Kogoro said narrowing his eyes.

"He'll be able to confirm that for you when he gets here."

Kogoro then looked over at Eri who closely watched the two of them, taking a couple steps toward her.

"Eri could you call the police while I begin the examining?" Kogoro asked.

"Already taken care of," Dick informed. "Before I came over I had that gentleman sitting at the back table give them a ring."

"He's really on top of it." Eri thought to herself.

"Who are you exactly?" Kogoro asked walking back over to him.

"We could waste our time going over that, or we could simply set that aside until after we figure out who killed Mr. Renin." Dick stated.

"First off, there is no we," Kogoro said. "And second,I will be running this investigation alone until the police arrive."

"You'd be foolish to pass up on my assistance," Dick said. "When I was standing against the wall earlier I had my eyes on everyone who went in and out the kitchen doors."

"You can write down what you saw on paper," Kogoro said. "The fact of the matter is you're just not eligible to help me run this investigation."

"That I have to disagree with you on," Dick said. "As a former officer of the Bludhaven police force I'd say I'm more than eligible."

"Is that so?"

"You can look into it if you don't believe me," Dick said. "You can even call Amy Rohrbach, who happened to be one of my former superiors."

"You know, I think I'll do just that." Kogoro said reaching down and pulling his phone from within his pocket. "Don't move from that spot, this won't take long."

She tightened the belt around her waist before walking out of the locker room, arriving into the gym to find the others had already laid out the mats. They all took a seat in the middle once both mats were lined up together, waiting for their instructor to join them. Ran kept her attention to the gym doors, glimpsing over at the bleachers to see someone looking on from three rows up. She immediately recognized who it was.

"Ran where are you going?" One of her classmates asked as she pushed up from the ground.

"I'll only be a second." Ran replied before heading over to the bleachers.

He smiled as she approached, sitting up in the seconds that followed.

"Tim what are you doing here?" Ran asked coming to a stop.

"Isn't it obvious," Tim stated. "I came to watch you practice."

"What a pleasant surprise," Ran said. "You picked the right time to come, we're sparring for most of the day."

"Couldn't have picked a better time."

Ran turned her head at the sound of the doors swinging open, looking over to see her instructor had arrived.

"Gotta go, I'll talk to you as soon we're done." Ran said making her way over to the others."

"I'll be waiting."

The sound of the sirens could be heard as they slowly approached from up around the block. Most everyone had taken a seat at this point, waiting for the arrival of the police. They didn't have to wait much longer, everyone directing their attention to the doors as they flew open. Inspector Megure stepped in along with three other police officers who walked closely behind.

"I came as soon as I got your message," Juzo said coming to a stop once reaching him. "Can't say I'm surprised to see you at yet another murder scene."

"It's funny how things turn out." Kogoro said.

"So where's the body?"

"Right over there," Kogoro pointed. "Renin's body was discovered after Chef Yuki removed the blanket from where his supplies were supposed to be held."

"I see."

"What about Mr. Grayson here," Kogoro asked. "Does what he said check out?"

"I had the luxury of looking into it myself," Ninzaburo informed as he joined their small group. "He was in fact a former police officer just like he said."

"Can't believe he was actually telling the truth." Kogoro thought to himself.

"So what's it going to be," Dick asked. "Will you be kind enough to allow me the privilege of helping solve this case, I'm sure you'll find me most helpful."

Both Juzo and Ninzaburo took a few moments to give his request some thought, Dick waiting patiently as they did.

"Let's start with what you know," Juzo replied. "Then we'll see from there."

"Fair enough," Dick said looking over at the body once more. "Right this way."

They followed from close behind, coming to a stop once reaching the body. Juzo turned back to the other officers, instructing them to keep everyone calm as they began the investigation.

"As you can see," Dick pointed. "The upper abdomen has been severed in two separate places."

"Do you believe this was the cause of death?" Juzo asked.

"Not by a long shot," Dick replied. "He's also got a wound to the back of the neck as well, a fatal one might I add."

"I got it!" Kogoro said stepping forward.

"Got what," Ninzaburo questioned. "Do you know who killed him already?"

"I'm still in the process of figuring that one out," Kogoro stated. "But I do know how it all went down."

"Please do elaborate." Juzo said.

"After giving each wound an in depth look I have now determined how the culprit approached," Kogoro said. "Chef Renin was engaged from the front, taking two blows to his lower body."

"So how do you explain the cut that was found on the back of his neck?" Ninzaburo asked.

"That's simple," Kogoro said. "After being stabbed the first two times he naturally  turned away in pain, that's when the culprit struck him for a third time."

"Makes sense to me," Ninzaburo said. "What do you think Megure?"

"Sounds like a possible scenario, now all we need to do is round up our suspects."

The three of them then looked down to see Dick giving the body yet another look. They waited for him to finish which didn't take long.

"No, that's not how it happened," Dick said. "His wounds are pointing to in another direction, something more disturbing."

"More disturbing, what do you mean?" Juzo asked.

"Take a harder look at the cut on the back of his neck." Dick said slowly lifting the head upward.

They did as told, taking a few moments to give the cut yet another look. It didn't take long for them to realize what he was pointing out.

"Now I see," Ninzaburo said. "The wound is slanted and not straight like I had originally thought."

"And based from the angle of the cut we can now assume the culprit struck him on the back of his neck while facing him." Juzo said.

"Exactly." Dick said.

"That's where the killer must have cut him an additional two times," Kogoro added. "Insuring they finished the job."

"You pinned it right on the spot detective." Dick commented.

"Now we have a few holes to fill in," Kogoro said. "How in the heck did the culprit manage to strike him in the back of the neck while facing him?"

"He has a point, how do you explain that Mr. Grayson?" Ninzaburo asked.

"Simple, Chef Renin knew the culprit," Dick replied. "And I'd say they were close, friends even."

"What makes you think that?" Juzo asked.

"I believe the killer lured him in with one of three things," Dick began. "A hug, maybe a kiss to the cheek, or to even whisper something into his ear."

The more they thought about it the more it made sense.

"Now that we know all of that it shouldn't be to hard to narrow down our suspects." Juzo said looking back to the group of people. "Which means it's time to start the questioning process."

The restaurant doors swung open within that next second. The four of them looked over to see a tall man dressed in a black coat and red hat walk in along with a young woman at his side.

"Excuse me, but we're going to have to ask the two of you to leave," Juzo said. "There's been a murder, which means we need this area secure from any outsiders."

"A murder," The man questioned. "Who was killed?"

"That information will be released to the public when the appropriate time arises." Ninzaburo stated.

"I'm the manager of this restaurant, I think I'm entitled to knowing who died here today."

"Is that so, and you are?" Juzo asked.

"Fredreck Belmonta," He replied holding out his hand. "Most usually refer to me as Fred."

Dick took notice of a glove upon his hand, narrowing his eyes at this.

"What's up with the gloves and coat," Dick thought. "A little odd considering how hot it is today."

"In that case you're free to know," Juzo said. "The man killed today is none other than one of the chefs who works here, Mr. Renin as I'm told."

"Chef Renin, how?!"

"He was stabbed three times," Ninzaburo replied. "We believe what ultimately killed him was a blow to the back of the neck."

"Can't believe it, he was alive when I saw him earlier this morning," Fredreck said. "Do you know what was used to kill him?"

"At this time we don't have a murder weapon," Juzo replied. "But from the way things look we can pretty much confirm some type of knife was used."

"Can I see the body?" Fredreck asked.

"I think we better hold off on that for the time being," Juzo said while directing his attention at the woman next to him. "Who's this with you?"

"I'm Kaimeil," She answered with the nod of her head. "The assistant manager of Sea Top."

"I take it the two of you drove in together."

"Fred actually arrived before I did," Kaimeil stated. "I saw him coming out of his jeep as I was pulling in."

"Is this true Mr. Belmonta?" Juzo asked.

"That is correct."

"How long have you been the manager for?" Ninzaburo asked out of curiosity.

"Coming around to a half year now," Fredreck replied. "It's funny that you ask, being the fact tomorrow is my last day here."

"Is that so," Dick commented. "And why's that?"

"I plan on moving back to Sapporo, a position I've been waiting for in construction has finally opened up," Fredreck informed. "Once I'm gone Kaimeil will take over as head manager."

"Could you excuse the three of us." Juzo asked.

"Of course." Fredreck said.

Inspector Megure pulled the three of them to the side, taking a deep breath as he did to help clear his mind.

"What's wrong Megure?" Kogoro asked.

"I think it's time we went in and observed the kitchen," Juzo replied. "There's a high possibility that's where the killing took place."

"So does this mean I'm free to help?" Dick asked.

"Just make sure you report anything you find to me," Juzo confirmed. "Is that understood?"

"Loud and clear."

With Juzo leading the way the four of them pushed their way into the kitchen. It wasn't as big as they expected it to be, taking the time to look around. Hanging over on the right side of the wall is where many of the kitchen tools could be found, a large sink resting below them. They then looked to the other side of the room to see a few tables set out. Kogoro was the first to begin a search of the room, looking for anything that may point to a struggle such as broken glass. He found nothing, turning back to the others once finished.

"I didn't come across anything suspicious," Kogoro said. "Any idea where we should be looking?"

"Anywhere but here." Dick replied.

"What do you mean," Juzo questioned. "Are you saying this isn't where the murder occurred?"

"I think you better have a look Inspector," Dick said pointing to the ceiling. "There's four cameras monitoring this room, and I'm pretty sure the culprit would have known about this."

"Which means the confrontation probably didn't happen in here after all," Ninzaburo said. "Unless the killer wanted to be caught on tape for some unknown reason."

"I doubt it," Juzo said. "But it's still worth a look, we'll have Mr. Belmonta give us a view of the surveillance tapes."

"Well if Chef Renin wasn't killed in here, then where?" Kogoro questioned.

Dick continued to scour the room, slowly looking from one side of the room to the other. It didn't take long for him to catch sight of a lone door in the back corner of the room. The three of them watched as he made his way in that direction.

"Where are you going?" Ninzaburo asked.

"I want to see what's behind this door," Dick replied. "Your welcomed to follow if you'd like."

Once reaching the door he turned the knob, forcing it open to have a flash of sun light come over him.

"Looks like our mystery door leads to an alley out back," Dick informed before stepping out.

It was narrow just like any other ally, an apartment complex located directly across. He looked to the near distance, locating a red hankerchief laying near a dumpster a few feet away.

"What do we have here?"

Dick leaned down once reaching it, bringing it into his grasp. He flipped it from one side to the other, examining it for anything unusual.  

"It's still warm, not to mention a little wet," Dick thought while continuing to search the ground. "I don't see anything else out of the ordinary."

He looked for a couple seconds longer, heading back for the door after nothing else caught his attention.

"We have strands of potential evidence, now's the time to start piecing it all together."

After getting dressed she made her way over to the sink to rinse off her face, something she usually always did after practice. Once finished she made her way out of the locker room to find him standing at the wall across from the door.

"Loved the moves you showcased today," Tim complimented. "I'm glad I decided to come, you didn't disappoint."

"Thanks, I really appreciate that." Ran said.

"Come, let me walk you home."

"Fine by me," Ran accepted as the two of them headed for the doors.

They walked out just in time to see a fleet of birds fly over the top of the school, taking that moment to watch them as they continued walking.

"Where was Sonoko today?" Tim asked keeping conversation.

"She had somewhere to be," Ran replied. "Family related, but she'll be back tomorrow."

They walked for awhile longer, neither saying a word in that time. He tucked his hands into the sides of his pocket, looking over at her with a smile.

"Ran, can I ask you something?"

"Sure, you can ask me anything." Ran replied.

"Do you remember when we went to that pizza joint before going to that theme park?" Tim asked.

It took her a few seconds to recall, nodding her head once remembering.

"What about it?"

"When we ordered you said you weren't hungry, and that you only wanted something to drink," Tim stated. "Do you remember what it was you had to drink?"

"Hmm... if memory serves I believe I had a grape soda," Ran answered. "Why did you ask?"

"I um, just wanted to know what you liked to drink."

Ran laughed at this.

"I've never had someone ask me something like that out of the blank like that," Ran said continuing to giggle. "You're a weird one you know that?"

"All the great ones are." Tim said with a grin forming.

The three of them stood a few feet away as he examined the hankerchief himself, looking back up at him once finished.

"So you found this by a dumpster just outside that door, correct?"

"That's right Inspector." Dick confirmed.

"Do you think it has something to do with the murder?" Ninzaburo questioned.

"We can't be to sure without running some tests," Juzo said. "But it's a possibility."

"Tests will give us DNA proof, but we can still show it to the Sea Top staff," Dick stated. "One of them may be able to confirm if that hankerchief belonged to Chef Renin or not."

"That's a good point," Kogoro said. "And while we're at it, I think it's time I revealed what brought me here in the first place."

"Is this related to the case?" Juzo asked becoming a little skeptical.

"Can't say for sure, but it's a possibility."

"Go ahead Mouri," Juzo said. "We're listening."

The three of them listened on as he gave them insight on his meeting with Anguó Sulak, telling them about his suspicions toward his wife in regards to Chef Renin. And now he was dead, raising red flags in more places than expected.

"Mr. Sulak defiantly has motive," Ninzaburo said. "But then we really don't know how his relationships were with the rest of his co-workers."

"Not to mention the back door," Dick added. "Who knows how many people could have been in and out of here."

"That's where the camera footage will prove useful." Kogoro said.

"I think it's time we began the questioning process." Juzo said turning back for the doors.

"I'll catch up with the three of you shortly," Dick said. "I have a phone call to make."

"Try and make it quick, times of the essence." Juzo said.

Dick nodded, turning to his side as he reached into his pocket for his phone.

"We have three suspects thus far; Chef Yuki, Anguó Sulak, and Bik Sulak," Dick thought to himself. "But there's something.... I feel like something is missing."

He dialed his number, bringing the phone to the side of his ear in wait.

"Hello?"

"Hey Conan, it's Dick."

"What's up?"

"Where are you?"

"I just arrived at Agasa's, you sound like you're under pressure," Conan said. "Is something wrong?"

"You could say that," Dick replied. "I need you to look into something for me, a few names if you could."

"Hang tight," Conan said. "I'll have the computer loaded up in no time."

"Great, I knew I could count on you."

To Be Continued







Converting /tmp/phpaZ4nc9 to /dev/stdout