Case Closed Fan Fiction ❯ The Detective Prince ❯ Trip to the Dark Deco ( Chapter 60 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Detective Prince
Chapter 60
Trip to the Dark Deco

The sun shined bright throughout most of the morning. Cars zipping by into the opposite direction could be seen as he made his way along the roadside. After minutes of walking he finally arrived. He gave the door a knock before taking a step back.

"You're early."

"Have any of the others arrived yet?"

"No, you're the first," Hiroshi replied. "Come on in, they should be here anytime now."

He moved to the side which allowed for him to walk in.

"Where's Haibara?"

"She left roughly ten minutes ago," Hiroshi replied. "If I'm not mistaken she went to go meet with the others."

He continued walking, having a seat at the couch after reaching it. A loud beep could be heard as he rested his head back, causing him to look into that direction.

"What is that?" Conan asked sitting up.

"Nothing to worry about," Hiroshi assured. "I was just running a scan on the computer."

The beeping stopped moments later, leaving the room silent for a second time. He found himself becoming concerned, looking over to see him staring up at the ceiling. It wasn't until another minute passed that he decided to make his way over.

"Shinichi, is everything ok," Hiroshi asked. "You're unusually quiet today."

He slowly lifted his head, turning to face him.

"It's been over five months now since I've heard from him, I've tried calling several time," Conan said. "And I've yet to hear back from him."

"Maybe he's extremely busy."

"Could be, but that doesn't mean he can't answer his phone once in awhile," Conan stated. "And the sad part is, he didn't even say goodbye... to anyone for that matter."

"Have you tried reaching Grayson?"

"Only to receive the same results."

"I'm sure there's a good reason why they've neglected to call," Hiroshi said. "Maybe it would be better if you just forgot about it all."

"Can't say that's something that hasn't come to mind."

The sound of the door cracking open in the following second grabbed their attention, watching as the four of them walked in.

"I told you he'd get here before us." Mitsuhiko said being the last to make his way in.

"How long have you been waiting?" Ayumi asked.

"Not long," Conan replied dropping down from the couch. "What were you guys doing?"

"Nothing yet," Genta replied. "We came here to meet with you first."

"We're going to go to the park to play some ball," Mitsuhiko said. "Would you like to come along?"

"I thought we were going to go see a movie."

"We decided to hold on off on that until tomorrow night."

"So do you want to come with us?" Ayumi asked.

"Of course," Conan replied. "It's not like I have anything else to do at the moment."

"Then let's get going, I have to be home by three thirty," Genta informed. "My dad is taking me to the store to pick out a new pair of shoes."

"We'll stop by my house on the way there," Mitsuhiko said. "That way we can pick up all the equipment."

"Would you all like a ride there?" Hiroshi offered.

"I think we'll be ok walking," Mitsuhiko replied turning for the door. "Besides, it's nice out."

"Suit yourselves."

Conan was the last of his friends to make it out, closing the door behind before catching up with the others.

"I heard there's a fifteen percent chance we'll get some rain later." Ayumi said as they made their way past the gate.

"Which would be after eight if it does occur," Ai added. "By that time we should all be inside."

"How do you guys know that?" Genta asked.

"The weather channel of course."

"Can't say I'm against it," Conan said. "We haven't had any rain for the past two weeks."

They kept conversation as they casually paced along. After minutes of walking they finally came to a stop after reaching the front of his house.

"Stay right here, I'll only be a minute."

The four looked on as he made his way in. The sound of many sirens coming from around the street could clearly be heard from where they stood, causing them all to look into that direction.

"That sure is a lot of sirens," Ayumi said. "I wonder what's going on."

"Whatever it is it must be serious." Genta said.

Conan kept his sights set into the distance, wondering where exactly it was they were driving off to. He felt a slight tug a moment later, turning to find her standing at his side.

"I wouldn't worry about it too much," Ai said. "Whatever it is, I'm sure they'll have it under control in no time."

"I'm not worried about that, just a little curious is all."

"Before I forget, there's something you and I need discuss."

"And what might that be?" Conan asked.

"It's about those names you had me run a search on yesterday," Ai answered. "I haven't gotten all the information on each of them, but I should by tomorrow morning."

"Sounds good."

"I have something else I've been working on for the past couple days," Ai informed. "So calling to remind me might be a good idea."

"Is that so," Conan said. "If you don't mind me asking, what is it you've been spending extra time on?"

"It's a simple project, I'm more in the early stages."

"Is that all you're going to give me?"

"It's a secret." Ai said turning away.

"So it's one of those things."

He came out after about a minute passed, rejoining them at the sidewalk.

"What's in the bag?" Genta asked.

"Two balls, four gloves, and a bat," Mitsuhiko replied. "We should be all set to go."

"It's almost twelve thirty," Genta said looking down at his watch. "That leaves us with a little over three hours before I have to go."

"Then let's hurry," Mitsuhiko said marching forward. "It's only a ten minute walk from here to the park."

They followed from close behind, arriving at the park around the time he had said. He scoured the empty field with a hand above his eyes, looking back at Mitsuhiko after doing so.

"What about bases," Genta questioned. "What are we going to use as bases?"

"Good question," Mitsuhiko said giving it some thought. "I completely forgot all about that."

"Well let's spread out and look around," Genta said. "There's got to be something here we can use."

"Great," Conan thought with the shake of his head. "And this is why we should have gone to see a movie instead."

The sky remained clear throughout mid day, not darkening like they had been anticipating it would do. Three hours had come and gone, leaving the park after an extended game. He walked alone on his way back to the agency, taking a deep breath as he made his way across the street.

"Now, what  to do for the rest of the day."

He dropped his hands into the depths of his pocket, coming to a stop after reaching the bottom of the stairwell. He stood there, contemplating on whether to go up or not. After a moments thought he decided to walk forward. He could see him at the left side of his eye as he passed by, only able to take two more steps before hearing his name called.

"Now what," Conan thought turning back for the office. "I wonder what he could possibly want."

He walked in to find Kogoro was on the phone talking with someone. He crossed his arms as he waited for him to finish, becoming more impatient by the minute.

"Why call me in here if he's busy?" Conan thought with the roll of his eyes.

He waited for awhile longer, watching as Kogoro dropped the phone back onto the hook. He smiled as he stood up from the chair, stepping around the desk before walking toward him.

"I just got an unexpected call."

"From who?"

"A friend from out of state," Kogoro replied. "He says he met you when he was down here visiting a couple months back."

"What did he say?" Conan asked lowering his hands from across his chest.

"You have three weeks before you're due back in school, correct?"

"That's right," Conan confirmed with a nod. "Why, is something going on?"

"There's an athletic youth program he said you might be interested in," Kogoro said. "Would you like to give it a try?"

"Hold on a minute," Conan said with the wave of his hands. "Where is this program located, and who is this friend of yours that claims to have met me?"

"Former police officer, Grayson."

"Dick Grayson?"

"So you do remember him," Kogoro said. "So what do you say, would you like to give the program a try?"

He took a few moments to think about it.

"How long would I be there for?"

"For only about a week or so." Kogoro replied.

He gave it a seconds thought, looking back up at him after coming to a decision.

"Sure, why not," Conan said. "When is this program supposed to start?"

"In two days," Kogoro replied. "But since you've decided to go, you better head up stairs and get packing."

"Why so soon," Conan asked. "I thought you said the athletic program doesn't begin for another two days."

"That's true, but the flight he listed you on leaves at five thirty this evening."

"That's less than two hours from now." Conan said looking down at his watch.

"Then you better hurry and get ready."

"I'll be back soon."

With that he turned for the door, hurrying up the stairs toward the door.

"This was completely unexpected," Conan thought. "Maybe now I'll get some answers as to why I haven't heard from either of them."

He arrived into his room shortly after, packing anything of importance into the bag before zipping it shut. He then walked into the bathroom, stashing his toothbrush into the side pocket of the bag before walking out.

"Haven't traveled out of state in quite some time, I wonder what it's going to be like when I get there."

He made his way back into the office only to find that there was no one in there.

"He must have headed down already."

Conan left the complex from there, heading down the set of stairs. He arrived to the sidewalk to see Kogoro standing next to a taxi a couple feet away.

"Hey Conan, over here." Kogoro said with a wave. "We better hurry, there's no telling how backed up security might be today."

The two of them hopped in, with Conan being the only one out of the two to have a seat in the back. Not much was said on the way there, all their attention focused on what was being played on the radio. They arrived in front of the airport after a twenty minute drive. He reached for the door knob only to see him look his way.

"Do you think you can find your way, or do you need me to walk you through the terminal?" Kogoro asked.

"I'll be just fine," Conan assured. "There's plenty of monitors that can help guide my way."

"Once you board, there's going to be someone who's going to watch you the whole way there," Kogoro informed. "I don't know who it is, so keep on the look out."

"Gotcha."

"And one last thing," Kogoro said. "Make sure you behave yourself, the last thing I want is to get a bad report."

"No need to worry, I'll be on my best behavior."

"Good, that's all I needed to hear."

He gave him one last wave, turning for the doors after doing so. Once inside he used the screen monitors throughout the airport to help guide his way all the way to the correct gate. He took a seat after arriving, waiting for a little over an hour before they started boarding several of the passengers. It didn't take long for his seating area to be called, getting up from where he sat to head to the back of the line.

"Good thing I packed the headphones," Conan thought. "This is going to be one long flight."

After a minute of straggling behind those in front of him he finally made it to his seat, buckling in once there. Soon after a man in a black suit and a pair of shades took a seat next to him. He took the time to look up at him, seeing his slick brushed back hair with a grim expression across his face.

"You must be Conan." He said with an imposing yet calming voice.

"That would be me," Conan confirmed. "That must make you the guide that I was told about."

"Call me Sal," He said buckling in as well. "Do you have everything you'll need for when we arrive?"

"Do you mean like my passport?"

"That's exactly what I mean."

"Of course," Conan said with a nod. "Never leave home without it."

"Good," Sal said easing back in his seat. "I'll leave you alone for the rest of the flight, but if you need anything don't be afraid to ask?"

Conan shook his head in response, laying back as well. There was much circulating throughout his mind as he sat there, reaching for his earphones as he turned to look out the window.

"Why am I getting so worried all of a sudden, maybe it's due to the fact I've never been  there," Conan thought to himself. "I guess I'm just over thinking things, besides it's only for a week, what could possibly go wrong?"

He kept quiet throughout most of the flight, occasionally talking with any of the flight attendants who walked by. After countless of hours flying through the sky he found himself struggling to keep his eyes open, looking out the window to view the night sky. He slowly drifted off, falling into a deep sleep with his head rested at the corner of the seat.

Many hours passed as he remained asleep, feeling himself yanked at many times over before awaking. He slowly lifted his head, turning to see him looking directly at him.

"Time to get up kid," Sal stated. "We'll be landing in the next forty five."

"That quick," Conan asked in surprise. "How long was I out for?"

"Didn't keep track, I dose off a couple times myself," Sal said. "When I woke up you were still asleep, very unexpected I must say."

"Have to agree," Conan said. "I don't usually get much sleep on plane rides, mostly due to the rocky conditions."

"Well sit tight, we'll be there shortly."

He could feel a stiffness to the back of his neck, simply pivoting his head from one side to the other to help stretch it out. They got closer with each passing minute. He looked out the window after they descended past the clouds, gazing down at the marvelous sight from above.

"I wonder if the view of the city is as eye catching below as it is from up here."

It wasn't until forty minutes later that they finally landed. He made sure he had everything before exiting the plane, staying close behind Sal who walked in front of him.

"I'll walk you through the terminal, once we get to the waiting area I'll release you to whoever is here to pick you up."

"Sounds easy enough."

He followed him step for step, the two of them coming to a stop after reaching customs. The process took a little over four minutes to complete, from there they pushed on. They took a left after reaching the end of a hall they walked down. Conan pulled out his phone after they came upon an elevator, turning on his phone to check his messages.

"Haibara called several hours ago, I'll defiantly have to get back to her."

Sal reached forward, clicking the lower button to alert the elevator.  

"Where is the waiting area from here?" Conan asked sliding his phone into his pocket.

"Three floors down," Sal replied. "We'll be there in no time."

The elevator arrived to their floor in a matter of seconds, allowing for the two of them to walk in. They made their way down, stepping out once the elevator came to a stop at the second floor.

"Right this way," Sal instructed. "We're almost there."

He found himself becoming more anxious with every passing second, looking forward as they turned the corner to be greeted by a large crowd of waiting people. He felt a light tap at his right shoulder, looking up to see Sal.

"Do you see who it is who's supposed to be picking you up?"

He focused his attention to those that surrounded, taking the time to scour the large crowd. Regardless of all the commotion that was taking place he was able to spot him, looking toward the right to see him waving over at him.

"There he is." Conan pointed.

"Are you sure?" Sal asked.

"Positive," Conan said walking over. "Thanks for tagging along, the company was most appreciated."

"Anytime kid." Sal nodded.

He pushed his way forward, stepping past those who stood in his way before coming to a stop once reaching him. He looked down at him with Conan looking up in return.

"Welcome to Gotham," Dick greeted. "How was the flight?"

"Couldn't have been any better," Conan replied. "Unless of course I was in first class, but other than that no complaints."

"I'm sure you have some questions you wish to have answered," Dick said turning to walk. "But first, what do you say we get on out of here?"

"Either way works for me."

He followed at his side as the two made their way past the exit. It took a little over three minutes for them to reach the parking lot, stopping once reaching his car. He unlocked the doors which allowed for the two of them to get in.

"Not bad," Conan commented after having a seat. "How long have you had this car?"

"Next month makes two years," Dick replied strapping the seat belt across his chest. "I've kept it in good shape as you can probably already tell."

"That's an understatement."

He stuck the keys into the ignition, starting up the engine as he pulled out.

"I think I've held out long enough," Dick said driving forward. "You have questions, and I'm ready to answer them."

"Ok," Conan said sitting up in his seat. "We'll start with the simple one, why haven't I heard from the two of you for the past few months?"

"It wasn't my call."

"Not your call?"

"It was Tim who wanted to cut bridge with you," Dick informed. "I respected his wishes, doing the same in compliance."

"So what happened," Conan asked. "Did he have a change in heart?"

"To tell you the truth, he doesn't even know you're here," Dick replied. "I respected his decision, but that doesn't mean I agreed with it."

"Do you think he'll be angry?"

"Can't say for sure," Dick replied. "Things have been a little shaky for him as of late, that's one of the reasons why I asked for you to come here."

"So tell me," Conan said looking out the window. "Why did he make the decision that he did?"

He didn't respond for the first few moments, coming to a stop after reaching a red light.

"I think it would be better if you talked to him about it yourself." Dick said.

"I see."

"By the way, where did Ran head off to," Dick asked. "I was going to ask if she wanted to come along as well, but Kogoro said she went off to some camp."

"It's a three week karate thing they're hosting in Sendai," Conan informed. "She left about four days ago."

"Must be pretty boring for you back at the house huh," Dick remarked. "Has she called you any?"

"Not much, from what she told me they stay pretty busy."

"Tried getting ahold of Heiji as well," Dick said. "Haven't heard back from him as of yet."
"That's because he's taking part in a Kendo tournament," Conan informed. "They've had it planned for months now."

"Jeez, everyone's busy these days."

"Pretty much," Conan said turning back to face him. "You said talking with Tim is one of the reasons you brought me here, what was the other?"

"It involves a series of unsolved deaths," Dick replied. "A certain trend that started in Japan three months ago."

"What kind of trend?"

"Heart attacks," Dick replied. "Well, at least that appears to be the cause of death."

"But you think differently, right?"

"Pretty much," Dick said. "So I take it you didn't hear about it back home?"

He shook his head in response.

"This is my first time hearing about it."

"Then we'll start from the ground up," Dick said. "I'll give you the full scoop a little later."

"Starting my trip with a case, couldn't have asked for anything better."

He turned on the radio as they drove on, looking over to get his input.

"What would you like to listen to?"

"Not familiar with any of the stations here, so anything will do."

"Works for me."

He laid back in the seat as he turned to look out the window once again, observing the many structures throughout the city. It had a different feel then what he was accustomed to, taking notice of the construction site in the distance.

"That's a lot of empty land, I wonder what they plan on building there."

He faced forward after gazing out of the window for a period of time, looking to see they were heading up a narrow road.

"Where are we going?"

"To where you'll be staying," Dick replied. "Sit tight, we're almost there."

He could no longer see the city from where they drove, everything from behind cut off from the many tree's that surrounded the area. It remained that way as they continued up the road, nothing but trees and forest could be seen for miles out. It wasn't until after another ten minutes passed that a large structure slowly came into view as they made their way up a large hill.

"We're here."

"Wow, this is where you live," Conan said more than surprised. "This place is like a mansion."

"Used to," Dick corrected. "This is where I used to live, I'm sure you'll fine your stay most enjoyable."

The both of them stepped out of the car after rolling up the windows, making their way over to the large gate that surrounded the premises. He pulled a mini remote from out of his pocket, pressing the center button which caused the gate to slide open.  

"If you ever need anything or just want to talk, feel free to call me," Dick said as they made their way across the large front lawn. "I promise I'll answer."

"Thanks, I'll keep that in mind."

They reached the front door after making their way up a long set of stairs. Dick reached into his pocket for his keys once more, fiddling with it before finding the correct one. He twisted the key with a quick turn, unlocking the door in the process.

"Welcome to Wayne Manor."

He opened the door from there, stepping aside which allowed for him to walk in. Everything was spaced out from where he stood, taking notice of the many decoratives and pictures along the upper walls. He then looked toward the large fleet of stairs directly in front of him which lead to the upper levels of the house.

"So what do you think?" Dick asked closing the door from behind.

"Where to begin."

"I guess we'll hold off on that until you've had a look at the whole place."

The two of them turned at the sudden sound of one of the doors opening from upstairs, watching as someone stepped out.

"I see our guest has arrived."

"Conan, meet Alfred," Dick introduced. "If there's anything you need while staying here he's defiantly the guy to go to."

"It's good to finally meet you," Conan said stepping forward. "Tim mentioned you to me awhile back."

"Well I'm glad to get the chance to meet you as well," Alfred said in response. "Believe it or not, I've heard a little about you as well."  

"Why don't you show him around," Dick suggested. "That way he knows where everything is."

"What about you?" Conan asked looking his way.

"I have a few things I need to take care of, but I'll be back tonight some time," Dick replied. "And when I do we'll go over what we discussed in the car."

"Tonight it is."

"Alrighty then," Dick said looking back toward Alfred. "I'll let you take over from here."

"Try and be back no later than seven," Alfred stated. "I think you'll find what I have planned for dinner to your liking."

"I won't be late," Dick said heading for the door. "Don't start without me."

"We'll hold off as long as we can."

The room fell silent for the first few moments after his departure, looking to check the time on his watch.

"No use in standing there all day," Alfred said. "Why don't you come up, I'll show you to the room you'll be staying in."

"One question," Conan said making his way up. "What time is it?"

"Five after nine," Alfred replied after checking his watch as well. "Why do you ask?"

"Just switching the time on my watch to match yours," Conan answered. "The time differential between here and Tokyo is actually quite substantial."

"Very true," Alfred said turning for the door nearest to him. "Right this way."

He followed from close behind, entering a long dark hall after walking past the door. There were a few noticeable paintings across both sides of the wall as they continued on, coming to a stop after reaching the first door to the left side.

"If you have something you need and I'm not around, you can come here."

"Who's room is this?" Conan asked out of curiosity.

"This is Damian's room, but I'd advice not to disturb him any time between eight to nine in the morning," Alfred informed. "He's really picky when it comes to the early hours."

"Damian.... who's Damian?"

"The room you'll be staying in is right over here." Alfred directed.

He turned to the right to see another door directly across from where he stood, walking over to open it. He stepped into the room to find a large bed at the right side of the room, looking to see window looming over it a few feet above. He then brought his attention to the left side of the room to see an empty closet along with yet another door. He walked over to check it out, pulling the door aside to find it was a bathroom.

"So what do you think?"

"I might not ever leave this room," Conan replied. "Couldn't have asked for anything better."

"Would you like a tour of the rest of the house," Alfred asked, "Or would you prefer to lay it low for an hour or so?"

"A full round tour sounds good to me."

The sound of someone entering the room caused the two of them to look back to the door, looking just in time to see him come to a stop.

"I thought I heard voices."

"I was just about to take him on a tour of the house." Alfred informed.

"Don't mind yourself," He said taking a step toward the two. "If you don't mind, I'd like to cover that myself."

"That's fine by me," Alfred said heading for the door. "I'll leave it to you then."

He left from there, leaving the two of them. Things became silent for the next few moments, both waiting for the other to make the first move.

"I'm honored to finally get the chance to meet you, I've heard all about your talents detective," He said holding out his hand. "Bruce Wayne."

To Be Continued







Converting /tmp/phpQqAdup to /dev/stdout