Case Closed Fan Fiction ❯ The Detective Prince ❯ Phase One Complete ( Chapter 74 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Detective Prince
Chapter 74
Phase One Complete

Little could be heard throughout the house, only the buzzing of the furnace rambling above came to his ear. He had been walking from one side of the room to the other for the past few minutes. It wasn't until he heard the door bell echo through the walls that he came to a stop. He paused for the next couple moments, listening as the ring could be heard for a second time.

"Who could that be?"

After hearing it ring for a third time he decided to head that way, walking past the dinning room to the door on the far side.

"I wonder why no one's answered the door yet, am I the only one here?"

He continued to head toward the front door, seeing the shadow of someone standing on the other side. He opened the door with little hesitation to find two men holding up a large box.

"Great, I was hoping I wouldn't have to drop by again some time later." The one to the right said.

They slowly placed the box down at his feet, doing their best not to cause any damage.

"You can take over from here, I'll be in the car."

"No problem," The man on the right said before looking down at him. "Is there anyone else here besides you, I need someone to sign off on this before we can take off."

"Who's it for," Conan asked. "I could go and see if they're here."

"Good question," He said pulling up the clip board strapped at the side of his belt. "Say's here it's for a Pennyworth, would he happen to be around?"

"I have no idea," Conan replied. "It won't take me long if you'd like me to go have a look."

"That would be great, considering the busy schedule we're on."

"Don't mind yourself," Alfred said heading down from upstairs. "I'm right here."

"Perfect timing." Conan said.

He joined the two of them at the front door after reaching the bottom of the stairs.

"All I need is for you to sign here."

He handed him the clipboard along with a pen, taking him all but a few seconds to sign and return both items.

"Is that all that is required of me?"

"That will do," He confirmed with a nod. "Thank you for your brief time, I'll let you get back to whatever it was you were doing before I arrived."

"You're no bother, it's always good to have a visit around here from time to time."

He smiled in response, heading for his car which was sitting on the other side of the gate. Alfred closed the door from there, trying to lift the aquired purchase into his arms.

"Hmm, it's much heavier than I thought it would be."

"What's in the box?" Conan asked coming to his side.

"Why don't you help me carry this to the kitchen and I'll show you."

"Deal." Conan said grabbing hold of one end.

"You ready?"

"You bet."

With that the two of them lifted the heavy box from the ground, immediately heading for the kitchen.

"No kidding, this thing is heavy."

The temperature noticeably dropped upon making his way back out to the stairwell. He sank his hands into the warmth of his pockets before heading up the small set of stairs. The cars parked aside the road drove off just as he made his way to the top, turning his head to see him standing across the way where he said he'd be. He stepped up to the curve, looking both ways before walking across. He could see him observing something from above as he neared, wondering exactly what it was.

"I see you've found something to entertain yourself for the time being."

"Still keeping an eye on that guy on the roof," Tim said before looking down to face him. "How'd things go inside?"

"Not as expected, as you probably already know I had a run in with Jefferson," Heiji said. "I know you asked me to stay out of sight, but."

"Some times it can't be helped, I understand."

"So from what was said, what do you make of it?"

"Hard to tell, we won't know until we do a little digging," Tim replied. "Finding out who this third party friend of theirs is will be our first assignment."

"No need to look any further than this card, it has the name and number of the guy they mentioned," Heiji said reaching into his jacket. "I was able to get ahold of it after Jefferson just happened to drop it."

"Nice going," Tim commented. "So what's it say?"

"Here," Heiji said holding it out. "Why don't you have a look yourself."

He accepted the card, taking the next few moments to give it a look himself. The expression on his face quickly changed.

"Penguin..."

"Say what?"

He stuck the card into his pocket from there, looking back up to face him after doing so.

"What's wrong," Heiji asked. "You heard of this guy?"

"You could say that."

"Mind filling me in?"

"He's not exactly your model citizen, we'll leave it at that for now."

"I'll take that," Heiji said. "On the flipped side, I was wondering if there was one question you could answer for me."

"Go ahead."

"When Salomon was talking with Eldelmon he mentioned a straight shot, referring to someone who works with him," Heiji said. "I wasn't sure what to think, and was wondering what your take on it is."

"Someone dead on, accurate.... percussion," Tim said in response. "I'm guessing the person he spoke of has skilled talents in the field of working with firearms."

"Makes a lot of sense when you put it that way," Heiji said. "If I'm not mistaken, Salomon addressed him by the name of Norio Hue."

"I don't know where, but I feel I've heard that name before." Tim said with a pause.

"How recent would you say?"

Seconds past as he tried rehashing his first time hearing the name.

"I don't know," Tim replied. "I can't remember exactly."

"I'm sure everything we'll come back to you as soon as you run a search of this guy," Heiji said. "In regards to Eldelmon and his pals, what do you propose we do from here?"

"We let them meet with Cobblepot," Someone said from behind. "It's essential we find out what kind of business deal they've got going."

He immediately turned at the sound of the voice, finding it hard to make out who it was through the dark.

"Who's this?"

His eyes gradually adjusted to the darkened area, watching as the figurre moved in closer. He could see the shape of a hood along with what appeared to be a cape hanging from the side of someones shoulder. The clouds from overhead continued to drift toward the west which made way for the bright moon. It was then that he got a clear view of their face.

"Damian... is that you?"

"That's no way to refer to me while in suit," He confirmed with another step forward. "Call me Robin."

A bizarre look came to his face, standing there in surprise.

"Wait, hold on," Heiji said turning to Tim in mid sentence. "How old is he now?"

"Mature enough to know what death is." Robin answered stepping in between them.

"He may be young and a little inexperienced, but he's skilled enough to handle a lot of the light work."

"But he's a kid," Heiji stated. "Shouldn't he be in school with other children?"

"Naturally you would think," Tim replied. "But that's not an option in this case."

"Why don't we drop this debacle of a discussion and focus in on the task at hand?" Robin interrupted.

"Alright then," Tim said in agreement. "You did get a good look at that man on the roof, right?"

"I was watching him the whole time."

"Besides pacing around, I didn't see him do anything out of the ordinary," Tim said. "What about from your angle?"

"The only thing note worthy was when those guys drove off a minute ago," Robin informed. "I saw him signal something to the driver at the front of the pack just before they took off."

"Did that happen to be to the person driving the green Chevy Camaro?"

"That'd be the one."

"Which means his message was directed toward Eldelmon."

"Any idea what it might have meant?" Heiji asked.

"I could go over there and find out." Robin said looking across the way.

"That won't be necessary," Tim shot down. "We have enough on our plate as it is, we'll leave that to rest for the time being."

"So what now?"

"You should probably report in with Bruce," Tim replied. "After all he's not currently aware of your whereabouts."

"What about me?" Heiji asked.

"I want you to head back to the house, we'll discuss things further when I return," Tim replied. "You do remember the address right?"

He nodded.

"What about you?"

"There's something that I'm going to go check out, I should be no longer than an hour," Tim answered before turning to walk. "I'll see you soon."

The two of them stood there for the next few seconds, watching as he disappeared once turning the corner at the end of the block. He then looked down to see he was still at his side.

"Can I ask you something?"

"Make it quick, I have somewhere to be."

"When you first arrived, you mentioned Cobblepot," Heiji began. "How did you know he was the guy we were talking about?"

"I could see and hear everything said between the two of you from my position on the roof, that shouldn't be hard for you to figure" Robin replied while reaching down for his belt. "Oh, and one last thing before I go."

"What's that?"

"You should worry less about me, and more about yourself," Robin stated. "You'll survive a lot longer around here if you do."

With that he sprung free, using his grappler to take him to the high ends of the roofs. He fell out of sight shortly there after. It was then that he found himself alone for the first time of the night. He looked down at his watch to check the the time, walking along the roadside as he did.

"What a dysfunctional bunch."

The kitchen was pitch dark upon the two of them entering. The first thing he did was switch on the light, taking their time as they maneuvered their way to the table before setting the box down. Alfred headed to the right side of the room after doing so.

"Where are you going?" Conan asked.

"To fetch the box cutter."

He came to a stop after reaching an apron hanging from one of the cabinet doors, digging into the front pocket to pull out the tucked away blade.

"Where were you for most of the day," Conan asked. "I didn't see you around much."

"One thing here, another there," Alfred said in response after reaching the table. "One of those busier days of the week in short."

"I know what you mean."

With as much effort as before they lifted the box for a second time, carefully laying it down to the ground.

"Here," Alfred said holding out the box cutter. "Why don't you give it a go."

"Oh.. ok."

He accepted the box cutter, forcing out the blade before lining it up atop the tape.

"Here goes nothing."

He pushed forward, slicing the tape in the process. He stood back to his feet after doing so, returning the box cutter to him in the process.

"Now, why don't you have a look at what's inside?"

"I thought you might want to have the honor, but if you say so."

He did just that, taking to a knee before lifting up the sides of the box to find several pieces of crumpled pieces of paper stacked around what appeared to be a screen of some kind.

"What is this?"

"A TV of course," Alfred replied. "When I heard we'd be having a guest I took the liberty of ordering an extra for your room."

"How thoughtful of you." Conan smilingly said.

"I have something that requires my immediate attention," Alfred informed. "So if you don't mind, I'll have it up to your room tomorrow."

"That works for me, I was just about to turn in as it is."

"At this time of hour," Alfred thought looking to the clock located above the stove. "It's only five after eight."

"If anyone needs me, I'll be upstairs."

"Of course."

He left the room from there, dragging himself along as he made his way to the stairs. It all had come within the past few moments, feeling the urge to close his eyes on the way up.

"Why, why am I so tired all of a sudden?"

He walked all the way to the room, heading straight for the bed before falling over in exhaustion. He laid there for minutes to come, finding himself slowly drifting off into a deep sleep. He slept through the night, undisturbed by any of the tampering sounds in the surrounding area. The light shined bright that coming morning, waking him from his unsound sleep. He immediately raised his head to see he had forgotten to slide the curtain shut the previous night.

"Rise and shine it is."

He lowered himself to the ground, heading straight to the dresser. He could hear voices coming from the main room as he laid out a pair of clothes for the day.

"I wonder who's all here."

He finished up within the next two minutes, snapping his watch into place before walking out. He made his way down the hall, pushing past the door to see them standing past the end of the staircase.

"Well look who's decided to join us." He said looking up to face him.

"I remember you," Conan said heading down the stairs. "I saw you just the other day, what's your name again?"

"Conner." He reminded.

"He came to hang with us for the day," Tim informed. "I hope you don't mind."

"Of course not," Conan said reaching the final step. "Are we going somewhere?"

"That's the plan." Conner replied.

"Where to?"

"We haven't quite decided on that one." Tim answered.

"In the mean time, why don't we get this up to your room." Conner said reaching down for the box at his feet.

"What's inside?"

"The TV for your room of course," Conner replied before lifting it up onto his left shoulder. "I volunteered to take it up stairs for you."

Conan looked at him in surprise.

"What's wrong," Conner asked. "Is it something I said?"

"... It's nothing."

"Alright then," Conner said. "Now what do you say we get this up to your room?"

"I'll show you the way."

"Right behind you."

He watched as the two of them trotted up the stairs, finding it hard to hold back grin.

"This bout is all but over."

He followed him down the hall after making it to the upper floor, stopping once they reached the second door on the right.

"This is it." Conan said.

He took a step off to the side, allowing for him to open the door. Conan walked in first with Conner right behind.

"So this is it huh, not a bad little space to hang," Conner said giving the room a look. "So where would you like me to set this thing?"

"The bed will do for now," Conan replied. "We can always move it later."

"Your call." Conner said heading for the bed.

He placed the large box onto the bed, turning back for the door once finished.

"So what do you say we get a move on?"

"One thing," Conan said stepping forward. "There's something I'd like to ask you."

"Sure, you can ask me anything."

"It's about your glasses."

"My glasses?"

"They don't look like the ones you were wearing before."

"That's because they're not, the ones I had on the other day were for reading," Conner explained. "These pair are for long distance, it would be difficult to see anything far ahead if I were wearing the others."

"Oh, I see."

"So are you about ready to go?"

"No more questions here."

"I'll take that as a yes."

The two of them left the room with that said, closing the door on their way out. They arrived back to the staircase a short time later, coming to find him waiting near the front door.

"Have you decided on where we're going to go?"

"Me," Tim questioned. "I thought it was your call."

"I might have an idea, but I'm not sure if they're open today," Conner said. "Why don't we head to town and give it a look?"

"And what might this place be?"  Tim asked.

"Why ruin the surprise, you'll see when we get there," Conner stated. "Trust me, you guys will love this."

"Ok, we'll take your word for it." Tim said on their way out the door. "But if it's something disinteresting, I might have an idea of my own."

"Don't worry, this is something not many people get the chance to experience."

"Great, another surprise," Conan thought to himself. "This should be fun."

To Be Continued



Converting /tmp/phpcgu0C1 to /dev/stdout