Case Closed Fan Fiction ❯ The Detective Prince ❯ A Look into the Eye of Fate ( Chapter 75 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Detective Prince
Chapter 75
A Look into the Eye of Fate

Over an hour had passed from the time he begun his search. Every route taken leading back to where he started. He leaned back in the chair, going over all the details in his mind for yet another time. The door to the room slid open in the following moments, looking up to see him enter with a sheet of paper in hand.

"You received several calls over the past hour," Alfred informed approaching the desk. "I took the liberty of taking note of the important ones since you chose not to answer."

"I don't have time to put this on hold Alfred," Bruce said. "This case is running on ice as it is."

"And what case might that be?"

"Dr. Leslie dropped by for a little visit yesterday," Bruce informed. "She came to report a patient of her's missing."

"Do the police know about this?"

"They were the first to find out," Bruce replied. "And since they weren't able to come up with any leads she brought it to me."

"How much do you know about this person?"

"What I need to," Bruce answered. "I have a file with all the details covering all that happened leading up to his disappearance."

"By this time I'm sure you've already checked his home."

"That was where my investigation began as of last night," Bruce confirmed. "Nothing seemed out of place on my first visit, but that doesn't mean I won't go back."

"Do you think there's something you might have missed?"

"There's always that chance," Bruce said. "But regardless of that, I wasn't able to find any leads after searching the general neighborhood."

"Do you think he's still here in Gotham?"

"Until something points otherwise, that's where I'll continue my search."

"Is there anything I can do?"

"Yes," Bruce replied. "I want you to go and pick up Heiji here, there's something I need to touch base with him about."

"Where is he now?"

"He wasn't  here when Tim stopped by this morning, so I'd assume he still at the house."

"I'll go and retrieve him," Alfred said. "Will that be all, or is there anything else you need of me?"

"That will do for now."

"Then I'll be on my way out."

He laid the sheet of paper with the list of numbers onto the table before turning for the door.

They had finally arrived to the city side after a margin of time, walking down one street to the next. He chose to monitor the time on his watch, glimpsing down every few minutes that passed. Nothing had been spoken between the three for several minutes. He could see him from the side of his eye, looking up at him with the next step taken.

"I wonder what happened last night," Conan thought facing forward. "Can't exactly ask with his friend present."

They reached the end of the block shortly there after, taking yet another left.

"Ok," Tim said looking toward him. "We've been at this for almost twenty minutes now, how much longer until we reach this place you spoke of?"

"We're not even a minute away, it's just past that large building there." Conner pointed.

"Care to drop us a hint on where you're taking us?"

"Asks the guy who walks these streets on a daily basis," Conner stated. "I'm surprised you haven't been able to figure it out."

"Is it some place that was recently built?"

"It's been there since the beginning of last year as far as I know," Conner replied. "I've been there a total of four times since."

They continued in the direction he had pointed, traveling around the side of the building before reaching the other side to find a smaller structure.

"This is it guys," Conner said looking up at the sign. "Sky Limits."

"Sounds intriguing enough," Conan said. "Makes you wonder what's inside."

"What do you say we find out?"

"Right after you." Tim said.

He took the lead from there, walking toward the building as the automatic doors slid off to the side. They followed from close behind, entering to see what they weren't expecting to find. On all sides there were several kinds of plants set up throughout the store, easily identifiable by the labeled tags strapped to each of them. Tim and Conan shared a brief glance, turning toward Conner who could see the lack of enthusiasm in their faces.

"So this is the special place you wanted to show us," Tim questioned. "A flower shop?"

"It's not a flower shop."

The sound of the doors opening from behind caused the three of them to turn to see a man and a woman enter in behind them.

"Conan, is that you?" The man asked.

"Hey Shinichi," Tim whispered. "You know this guy?"

He moved in closer, his claim confirmed after getting a clear look at his face.

"I knew it," He said coming to a stop. "It is you."

"Oh yea," Conan said recognizing him as well. "You're Mr. Bennet from Nano High, who's this with you?"

"Bernadea Fournier," Nathan replied. "And soon to be wife."

"Hi there." Bernadea greeted with a wave.

He then looked up at the two standing at his side.

"Hold on a sec, you're one of Wayne's boys," Nathan stated. "Tim, right?"

"That'd be me," Tim confirmed. "Can't say I'm surprised you noticed."

"Nathan," Bernadea said stepping up to his side. "Where did you meet this boy?"

"Up at the office yesterday afternoon."

"Oh, I see."

"So what brings the two of you here?" Conner asked.

"I actually brought her here to see the Pin of Heights."

"I brought them here for the same reason," Conner said. "Then I guess we can all head in together."

"Pin of Heights," Conan questioned. "What's that?"

"You'll know soon enough," Conner replied. "It's just around back."

"And here I thought we were here to observe a bunch of plants." Conan commented as they began walking.

"You weren't the only one." Tim said.

They made their way toward the back of the store, passing the many different plants that surrounded them. About halfway through the store they came to a stop after reaching an area filled with dozens of trees.

"Wow," Bernadea said gliding her hand across one of them. "It's so smooth."

"Ouch," Nathan grunted after doing the same to the one across it. "Your description of smooth differs from what most would think."

"Are we almost there?" Bernadea asked.

"Yep, the door to the pin is right over there." Conner pointed.

A branch from one of the trees swung past the side of his cheek as they began walking once again.

"Geez," Conan thought to himself. "I feel like I'm taking part in a wild safari."

They came upon the back wall a short time later, approaching a steel door which lead to another room.

"This is it." Nathan said.

"Are you sure we're allowed back there," Tim questioned. "Doesn't exactly look like a place for customers to enter."

"It'll be fine, I do it all the time," Nathan said. "Jay's probably back there as it is."

"Who's Jay?" Conan asked.

"The store owner of course." Conner replied.

With that they stepped up to the door. It was then that the sign hanging from the side of the door came into view.

"What's this here," Bernadea said. "The print's so small, makes it hard to read what it says."

"No kidding." Tim said.

"Just a list of warnings," Nathan stated. "That's all."

"No smoking, camera's, or food beyond these door," Conner read off. "Hope that helps."

"Now what do you say we head in?" Nathan suggested.

"Right after you." Conner said holding the door wide.

They all walked in past him, entering a massive room filled with several more trees spaced out from one another. The ground from beneath was nothing but grass, furthering the forest theme already in place. The ceiling span much further up than the previous room had been. Not a single window was visible, only the lights from the tops of the ceiling provided for any source of light. The walls were thick and wide, leaving for much space.

"So... this is the Pin of Heights." Conan thought.

He closed the door on his way in before joining the rest of the group a few feet away. They stood in silence for seconds to come, observing all features throughout the room.

"So," Bernadea said looking from one end to the other. "What's so special about this place that you brought me all the way here?"

"Why don't you let me have the honor of showing you." Conner said stepping forward.

"What are you going to do?" Conan asked.

"You'll see, this won't take long."

He took a couple steps forward, rolling up the sleeve on his right arm before looking back to face them.

"Are you ready?" Conner asked.

"... Sure," Bernadea replied. "Go for it."

"Am I the only one who doesn't get what's going on?" Conan whispered.

"Nope, you're not the only one." Tim whispered back.

All they could do was stand in wait, watching as he lifted his now exposed arm out in front of him. He took the next few seconds to listen to the clutter in the surrounding area, picking his spot before whistling out into that direction. Nothing but silence stood in the following moments. Just as he was to give it a second go, the sound of something flapping could be heard.

"What is that?"

It got louder as it neared, everyone bracing themselves for what was to come. Then it appeared, darting from the mist of the trees before making a daring landing onto the side of his arm. Bernadea yelped out in fear before rushing to the back.

"What is that thing?!!"

"Relax Bernadea," Nathan said struggling to contain his laughter. "It's only a hawk."

"Her name's Flops," Conner added. "Probably the most friendly of the bunch."

She gripped his shirt as she slowly peaked her head over his left shoulder to see its fully extended wings slowly fall down into place.

"Oh," Bernadea said noticing it wasn't Nathan she was holding onto. "Sorry about that."

"No apology needed." Tim said.

The sound of foot steps approaching from the right side grabbed their attention. As they got louder the hawk took flight once again, finding its way past the many trees it had come. It was then that he appeared, a man in a cowboy hat stepped from behind a set of trees that were stacked up together.

"Well I'll be dammed, if it isn't two of my favorite customers."

"I thought we might find you back here." Conner said reaching forward to shake his hand.

"I had no idea you and Mr. Bennet here were acquainted with one another."

"Actually this is our first time meeting," Nathan said. "We both just happened to be dropping in at the same time."

"Funny how things work out, by the way did you see Tesse on your way in?"

"Didn't see her," Conner replied. "Unless she was working on the other side of the store somewhere."

"Never mind, I'll catch up with her when I return to the front."

"Nathan, what did you say his name was again?" Bernadea asked.

"Jaylob," He answered. "But most who know me usually refer to me as Jay."

"And this is Bernadea, my fiance." Nathan informed.

"So you're getting married, that's great news to hear."

"Love the set  up you've got here," Tim said stepping forward. "But what is this place exactly?"

"Isn't it obvious," Nathan said. "It's an inside exhibit, if you want to call it that."

"For that hawk we saw?"

"Hawks," Conner corrected. "There are five of them in all, three females and two males."

"So I see you've all gotten the chance to see one of them," Jaylob said. "What do you say I go and grab the aluminized protective gloves?"

"That would be great," Nathan said in response. "That's even better than I was hoping."

"I thought you might say that, wait here," Jaylob instructed. "I'll be no more than a minute."

"We'll be right here." Nate assured.

He headed back into the direction he had come, walking around a couple trees and plants that laid in his path.

"Nathan," Bernadea said tapping the side of his shoulder. "What did he say he was going to go and get?"

"A pair of aluminized gloves." Nathan replied.

"For what?"

"Why don't you wait and see," Nathan smilingly replied. "The best is just about to come."

"The protective gloves are a giveaway," Conan thought. "It's pretty self explanatory what he's got in mind."

The meter continued to gradually increase as he looked on. After completing seventy two percent of the scan it finally raised past the danger zone like he had been anticipating from the start.

"Alert; Danger Level: Shallow Red_(8)."

The computer repeated this three times more before finally falling mute.

"Tim was right, whatever virus the Mini Lon has found itself plagued with has the potential to cause lethal damage... not only to the main system, but to any of those connected to it."

He sat back in the chair, watching as the computer diagnosed the virus as unknown.

"There's still something that doesn't quite line up... why is it my computer wasn't able to pick up this virus sooner then it did?"

This rested on his mind for minutes to come. It wasn't until the door slid open that he looked up from the desk to see the two of them enter.

"I hope we're not interrupting anything." Alfred said.

"No, I was just doing some thinking." Bruce said turning in his seat.

"You wanted to see me." Heiji said walking forward.

"I'm glad you could make it, I've got something for you." Bruce said before reaching across the desk for a small sheet of paper.

"What is is?" Heiji asked.

"The number to the Commissioners office," Bruce replied. "I'm sure you've been told about his interest in you."

"Yea, I heard about it from the others yesterday," Heiji said accepting the paper. "Do you know exactly what he wishes to talk with me about?"

"I'd assume it has something to do with that mystery that went down at the city hall a few nights ago."

"Wouldn't doubt it," Heiji said looking down at the slip of paper. "So what would you say is a good time to give him a call?"

"Couldn't really tell you," Bruce said sitting up from the chair. "I prefer my transactions in person rather than over the phone."

"You know... I think I'll do just that." Heiji said.

"Did you ever call the office back?"

"About what?" Bruce asked making his way around the desk.

"The minor presentation that's being held in the board room of Wayne Enterprises."

"What time?"

"4 P.M."

"Call Tim and have him sub in for me, I have too much on my plate as it is."

"Will do sir."

He stopped after reaching the door, turning back to Heiji who was still standing near the desk.

"You're free to stick around for awhile if you'd like," Bruce said. "The others should be back anytime."

"Thanks, I'll be here."

He nodded, turning for the door before exiting out.

They could see them gliding from above as they waited. He had been absent for no more than a minute, returning with a bulky pair of gloves in his right hand. In his left hanged a bucket, filled with something no one could see at first glance.

"So, who wants to go first?" Jaylob asked.

"First for what?" Bernadea asked.

"You didn't tell them?"

"I thought it would be best if we kept it a surprise," Nathan said. "But since you're here I'll let you have the honor."

"Wouldn't have it any other way," Jaylob said lowering the bucket to the ground. "But before we can begin, I'll need a volunteer."

"Come on princess, this is your time to shine." Nathan said pushing her forward.

"What is this all about," Bernadea questioned. "Are we trying to summon that bird again?"

"That's the plan." Jaylob said holding out the gloves.

"I'll have to pass," Bernadea kindly declined. "This isn't something I'm interested in doing."

"Come on Bernadea," Nathan plead. "I didn't bring you all the way here to just sit back and watch."

"Maybe I'd feel better about giving it a try if you went first."

"That works for me," Nathan said. "Hand them on over partner."

"With pleasure." Jaylob said giving him the set of gloves.

He slid them on from there, making sure they were tightly fitted into place.

"Alright, I'm all good to go." Nathan said giving him the nod.

Jaylob reached into the bucket, pulling out something wet and slimy.

"What is that?" Tim asked after laying eyes on it.

"A treat if you will, it helps to get their attention,." Jaylob replied. "Now what do you say we get things started?"

"I'm all good to go."

Jaylob walked up to his side, handing him the piece of salmon before stepping back.

"So what happens from here?" Bernadea asked.

"We send out a signal, something simple as a hand gesture or light tune," Jaylob replied. "But since they're not too familiar with most, a whistle usually does the trick."

"Just like this." Nathan said raising his head.

He took no time in whistling for all to hear, holding the salmon out in front of him as he waited for a response. It took all but a few moments for one of them to come soaring down, finding a spot on his arm before accepting the treat hanging from the tips of his finger.

"You see, it's not all that bad." Nathan said handing her the other glove.

"This one looks like the same as the one we saw earlier." Conan said.

"That's because she is," Conner confirmed. "Like I mentioned earlier, Flops is the most forthcoming of the bunch."

"Come on Bernadea, why don't you give it a try ?"

"Do they bite?"

"Given that they don't have teeth, I think you should be pretty safe on that account."

"You know what I mean." Bernadea said narrowing her eyes over at him.

"I can assure you Ms.Fournier, there's nothing to worry about," Jaylob said. "None of the hawks here are aggressive in any way... except for the youngest who has yet to lighten up to me, let alone anyone else."

"The youngest?" Conan asked stepping forward.

"That's right," Jaylob said with the shake of his head. "I've had him for about six months, he should be about two years of age now."

"What's his name?"

"We call him Cyres," Jaylob replied. "A very rare but fitting name."

"Is he really aggressive?"

"Not aggressive per say.. just not much of a socializer."

She finally gave in after giving it some thought, tightening the glove around her left hand before turning back to face them.

"Ok, I'm all ready." Bernadea said.

"Great, I'm glad you decided to give it a try."

He reached into the bucket for a second time, pulling out another piece of fresh dipped salmon.

"Here you are," Jaylob said placing it into the palm of the glove. "Make sure you hold onto this."

"So now all I have to do is call out to one of them?"

"That is correct," Jaylob nodded in confirmation. "Now why don't you give it a shot?"

She looked down at the salmon laying in place, a feeling of hesitation coming over her.

"Could you perhaps do it for me?" Bernadea asked

"What seems to be the problem?"

"It's just, I'm not sure if I'll be able to whistle loud enough."

"Geez," Nathan muttered. "Does she always have to make things so difficult?"

It was at that moment that Flops launched from the side of his arm, taking a full swing before latching down onto the side of her wrist. This caught Bernadea by surprise, resulting in a scream escaping her lips. They looked on as the hawk took the salmon before taking flight to the higher ends of the room.

"Sorry about that," Jaylob laughingly apologized. "I was not expecting that, I don't think any of us were."

"You can say that again." Nathan said removing the glove from his hand.

"Would you be interested in giving it another try Ms. Fournier?"

"I'm afraid I'll have to pass," Bernadea replied. "I think I've had enough excitement to last for the rest of the day."

"Very well," Jaylob said before turning back to face the others."What about the rest of you, would someone else like to give it a try?"

"Hey Conan," Conner said giving him a nudge. "Why don't you give it a go?"

"This isn't exactly my kind of thing."

"Come on, it'll be fun," Conner stated. "Besides, there's no telling when this opportunity may arise again."

He took a few steps toward the center of the room, coming to a quick decision after giving it some thought.

"Ok, but only one time."

"I knew you'd make the right call." Conner said.

"Here," Nathan said removing the glove from his hand. "I think this'll benefit you."

"You're right."

He placed the glove onto his right hand, holding it out in front of him as he looked to the ceiling.

"Here goes nothing."

With the lift of his chest he took a deep breath, releasing with a tuneful whistle that sprouted throughout the room. He felt all through the body fall to a rest, holding firm to the stance taken moments prior.

"Wait a second, I forgot to give you a piece of salmon," Jaylob said before turning back for the bucket. "One moment my boy."

In the flash of time it came gliding downward, locking eyes with him almost instantly. He felt its talons clamp down to the top of his arm, giving the black eyed bird his full attention as it did in return. The others looked on from where they stood, none more engaged than the headman himself.

"I don't believe it, this is the first time." Jaylob softly spoke.

"First time," Tim questioned. "What do you mean?"

"Cyres has never responded to anyone but myself, and that's only when it's feeding time."

"That's Cyres?"

"That's him all right." Nathan said from behind. "The one and only."

He gazed into his eyes, looking into the darkness which gave him a sense of emptiness. But that was only at first. It was almost as if something was whispering to him, giving him a message that was yet to be unlocked... something from within his subconscious. The grip around his arm seemed to tighten with each passing moment, this fostered no response, not even a a blink between the two. Without as little as a warning the hold was released, expanding his wings before finding his way back to where to the higher ends of the room. He stood there for the next few seconds, casually lowering his arm as he removed the glove from his hand.

"So, what did you think?" Jaylob asked resting a hand atop his shoulder.

"It's not what I expected," Conan replied looking up to him. "Seeing their wingspan in person is a lot different than what you see on TV."

"Indeed it is," Jaylob said. "It was something to see when Cyres responded to your call, there must be something special between the two of you."

"That was Cyres?"

He nodded in confirmation.

"Perhaps you could come back some time," Jaylob said. "I could teach you a couple commands if you would like."

"That would be great."

"Good."

"Here, I better return this to you before I forget." Conan said holding out the glove.

"Thank you."

He then turned back to face the others after doing so, walking over to see Tim having a conversation with someone over the phone. It was only a matter of seconds before this came to an end.

"Looks like I better get going."

"Who was that?" Conner asked.

"Bruce, he wants me to attend a meeting at four later today." Tim replied.

"That's not for another couple hours." Conner said after checking the time on his watch.

"There's a lot that needs to be organized before then," Tim said. "Would you mind taking Conan back to the manor?"

"Not at all, I've got it all covered."

"Where is this meeting being held?" Conan asked out of curiosity.

"Wayne Enterprises," Tim replied. "I'll catch up with you as soon as I'm done."

"I''ll be sure to keep my phone on."

"Good, then I'll talk to you soon."

He walked toward the door exiting out of room, closing it on his way out.

"I guess we better be on our way as well," Nathan said checking the time. "The train to the east side of town will be leaving within the next twenty minutes."

"It just so happens we'll be walking past there," Conner said. "Mind if we tag along for part of the way?"

"That would be great, we could use the company." Bernadea said.

"What do you say Conan?" Conner asked looking his way.

"Sounds good to me."

"Hold on," Jaylob said as he approached the two. "When should I expect to see either of you again?"

"Whenever my schedule allows for it I'll try and drop in," Nathan replied. "And from the way things have been as of late, it should be real soon."

"I look forward to it."

"Until next time." Conner waved as they too headed for the door.

He rested his hands into the depths of his pocket after stepping back into the main area of the store, facing forward as they made their way to the front end. It wasn't until they were halfway through that he looked down to his side to see he was nowhere to be seen.

"Where's Conan?"

"Not to worry," Bernadea said. "I saw him stop to look at one of those trees on our way up."

"Phew, I thought he might have got lost or something."

"Take your time," Bernadea said. "We'll wait for you out front."

"I won't be long."

With that both Bernadea and Nathan continued toward the exit while Conner headed in the opposite direction. He back tracked all the way to where the trees were located, and there he was, massaging the ends of one of the trees.

"Conan, what are you doing," Conner asked. "We have to go."

"Why don't you try giving it a feel," Conan suggested. "It's so smooth."

".. Ok."

He did just that, stopping in front of the tree directly across before reaching out to touch its limbs. It took all but a few strokes for him to shake his head in agreement.

"You're right, it is quite smooth."

This all but confirmed it, bringing a grin to his face.

"Now, what do you say we head out," Conner said. "Both Nathan and Ms. Fournier are waiting for us out front."

"Sure, but I have one question for you first," Conan said. "When we first entered the exhibit, how come you rolled up your sleeves before signaling for the hawk to come?"

"So my shirt wouldn't have gotten any holes in it from the hawks talons." Conner quickly replied.

It took a few moments for it all to sink in, realizing he had just been had. He didn't know what to say, standing there as he waited for him to make the next call.

"I guess Ms. Fournier was right about this tree," Conan said. "They're so delight to the hand, I found it hard that Mr. Bennet didn't feel the same way."

"Why don't we head up to the front and ask him?"

"That was only at first," Conan continued with his eyes still glued to the tree. "Then I realized they're actually different in a few ways."

"What do you mean?"

"This tree here is a Grand Fir, commonly known as the Christmas Tree," Conan informed. "Their needles are pretty harmless and don't poke you upon touching them, not like some other trees in its family."

He had no idea where he was going with this, deciding not to say anything as he spoke once again.

"The tree Nathan came into contact with isn't a Grand Fir, though it may look like one," Conan stated. "Turns out it's a close cousin, one which will give you a sting if touched."

"That would explain why he was poked when he reached down to touch that tree earlier," Conner said. "Nice little deduction there Conan."

"Thanks, but that still doesn't explain why you didn't feel the affects of touching the tree?"

"What do you mean?"

"That tree you just proclaimed as smooth is the same tree Bennet hurt his hand on after stroking it," Conan informed slightly raising his head. "I wonder why it had no affect on you?"

As expected he received nothing from him in return.

"Then there's the part where you whistled for one of the hawks to come, it amazes me how no one noticed you didn't have on a protective glove," Conan said removing his hands from his jacket. "That's something that isn't easy to apprehend on a normal stand point."

"What are you trying to say?"

He smiled at his response, slowly turning back to face him with the grin heavily in place.

"It's up to you if you'd like to save me the trouble, if not I'll figure it out myself," Conan softly spoke. "Regardless of your choice... only one truth prevails."

To Be Continued

Converting /tmp/phpDoXb5V to /dev/stdout