Case Closed Fan Fiction ❯ The Detective Prince ❯ The GCPD ( Chapter 76 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Detective Prince
Chapter 76
The GCPD

There was little left to hide, everything slowly leaking out with every second that past. It was at that moment that the keenness of his eyes became apparent, realizing just how cunning he was. He smiled, deciding it was now time to give in to the outcome.

"You win."

He reached up to the side of his eye, removing the glasses from where they rested.

"I guess that's one roller coaster trend the two of us have in common, wouldn't you say... ?"

"Excuse me?"

"It's just like any coin," Conner stated. "That everlasting task to keep it all hidden, that wildcard wrapped away inside your conscious you try hiding from most others."

"Me," Conan laughingly said pointing to himself. "I have nothing to hide."

"We all have something kept secret, it's time we removed the guises Conan," Conner stated. "Or do you prefer I call you Shinichi?"

He fell stone still, not expecting to hear the words spoken from his mouth. He didn't remain tense for long, dropping his hands back to his sides before smiling up at him.

"So, you know," Conan said the slightest surprised. "I can only assume Tim was the one who told you."

"Hope it doesn't bother you at all."

"That raises a question more than anything," Conan said. "You're good friends, but how well do you."

"How closely associated are we," Conner said. "I had a feeling that would be one of your first questions."

"Is it too much to ask."

"Not at all, I'll tell you what," Conner said placing the glasses back over his eye. "After we walk Nathan and Bernadea to the train station I'll tell you anything you want to know."

"That works for me."

"Then let's go," Conner said turning for the front of the store. "I think we've kept them waiting for long enough."

"And we don't want them to become worried." Conan said as they began walking.

"My thoughts exactly."

They moved on from there, walking around the many plants and shelves set out across the way. They arrived at the front of the store shortly there after, heading out past the doors to see the both of them standing at the right side.

"What took you guys so long?" Nathan questioned.

"Sorry about that," Conner apologized. "Conan was just showing me something he came across at the back of the store."

"But we're all good to go now," Conan said. "So where's the train station located from here?"

"About a half mile east," Nathan replied. "I hope you don't mind the walk."

"Of course not." Conan said.

"I do a lot of walking myself, so no problem here."

"Then let us be going."

He took to the front from there, leading the four of them down the side of the walkway.

"So," Bernadea said turning his way. "Do you live around here?"

"No, but I do drop in quite frequently," Conner replied. "I actually do a lot of traveling around as it is."

"I bet that's a lot of fun," Bernadea said. "What for?"

".. My studies," Conner quickly came up with. "I try my best to get a good feel for most of the things we're covering in class, which some times results in small trips here and there."

"And which class might that be?"

"Particularly in architecture," Conner replied. "Material and form varies from one city to the next."

"Very true statement." Nathan said.

"I know the two of you are going to the train station," Conan said. "I was wondering where you plan on going from there?"

"There's a shooting range about three miles from here,"  Bernadea replied with a smile. "Of course, I'll just be there to watch?"

"A shooting range?" Conan questioned

"I guess we all have our hidden talents and hobbies," Nathan said walking up to his side. "From my time in the military I became very crafty with several different firearms, and choose to go to shooting ranges to keep up with my skills as a bit of an exersise if you will."

"I see." Conner said.

"You should see him use the rifle, his aim is pin point to say the least," Bernadea stated. "I've never seen someone as poised and direct when firing, one of the best there is."

"I wouldn't go that far, I'm a slouch in comparison with the true elites."

"What is it with you," Bernadea said swinging her head around. "You're always selling yourself short when speaking of your achievements."

"What achievement?." Nathan mumbled.

"What was that?" Bernadea asked with the cross of her arms.

"And here we go."

He looked up at him from there, receiving his attention in the seconds that past.

"I think we better stay out of this one." Conan said as they continued on.

"Good call."

It had come and gone, listening to the tune of the clock upon the arrival of the next hour. He stood leaned to the wall in the front room, looking to the ground as he continued to wait it out. The TV from the upper floor could be heard, occasionally picking up on the topic that was being discussed. It was then that something crept past his ear, softly discreet... yet familiar. He pushed away from the wall, doing his best to pin point where it was coming from. As he walked, the sound gradually became more clear.

"It's coming from down there."

He stared down the fleet of stairs, slowly and quietly making his way down. The sound pierced through the air, almost as if he could feel the vibration with each taken swipe. He reached the bottom after another couple steps taken, coming to find him standing in the center of the room with a weapon in hand.

"So, I see you use the sword."

He had heard him on his way down, not one bit surprised to be joined by him.

"What are you doing here?" Damian asked turning to face him.

"Bokken?" Heiji asked looking over at the sword of wood in his possession.

"So I see you're familiar with this piece," Damian confirmed swinging it across his body to his free hand. "One of the better practice swords if you ask most."

"I had no idea you were a sword user," Heiji admitted. "How long have you been at this for?"

"Longer than you may think."

It was then that he took notice of the several other weapons throughout the room.

"What is this place excatly?"

"The armory."

"Mind if I take a look around?"

"Be my guest" Damian said turning away with another swing of the sword.

He began his search on the left side of the room, coming across a set of shurikens along the side of the wall. That wasn't the brightest of things that caught his attention.

"Who'd have thought, they even have the a set of Wakizashi's swords."

He continued to walk along that side of the room, coming to a stop after reaching a blade unfamiliar to him. He reached down to grab it, pulling it from the sword case it laid in. The weight of the blade came as a surprise upon raising it, studying it from handle to tip.

"That's a Cinquedea," Damian said noticing his curiosity. "It's rare that you'll find any of those around nowadays."

"No kidding, I don't believe I've seen a sword quite like this." Heiji said rotating it to the other side.

"Some actually refer to it as a long dagger, depending on who you ask."

"Is that so," Heiji said looking his way. "Any idea where it originated?"

"In northern Italy around the late 15th century," Damian replied. "Its name 'Cinquedea' means five fingers, which would explain the width of the blade right under the guard."

"I noticed that," Heiji said before carefully laying it back into place. "Thanks for the history lesson."

He focused his attention back to his practices, leaving him to explore the room once again. He came across several other unfamiliar weapons, taking delight at the many different suits of armor that were present throughout the room. Each slash taken was filled with undisputed control, with undeniable force to match it. His eyes rolled to the right upon watching him head to the other side, wondering exactly what it was he was hoping to find.

"There's a lot of unique weaponry in here, but I must ask," Heiji said looking his way. "How long has all of this stuff been here?"

"Why do you ask?"

"Just curious is all," Heiji replied. "Was most of this stuff imported in from the same location?"

"To my knowledge only the set of kama's and steel armors were purchased from the same region," Damian answered. "Everything else.. no idea."

"I see."

He turned back to the right, noticing something of interest. He reached forward to grab it, pulling it from the wall clamp that securely held it in place. It took all but a few moments for him to identify the type, bringing both hands to the handle as he raised it upward.

"I don't recall the last time I used a tulwar sword, one of the better blades that offers for a secure and flexible hold," Heiji  thought lowering his left hand. "Not to mention its design for very effective draw cuts."

He took the next passing moments to give it one final look before carefully sliding it back into place. It was then that he spoke from behind once again.

"I've noticed your affection for the sword," Damian pointed out. "Now my question to you..."

A slight pause ensued, barely hearing the sound of it sailing his way. He turned just in time, catching the handle of the Bokken before it could hit. He looked toward him in surprise, finding he to had a Bokken in hand.

"How well can you use one," Damian asked lowering the weapon to his side. "If at all."

He sharply maneuvered the handle around his wrist in response, letting it fall into the palm of his hand before holding it out in front of him. Damian took delight to this.

"I guess your form answers that."

"What do you mean?"

"Your feet are shoulder width apart, knees slightly bent," Damian began. "And you have the sword leveled across your body, not too high nor too low."

The look in his eyes was evident, knowing what was to come next.

"I see, you're referring to my stance," Heiji said keeping his position. "But I should warn you, I've been doing this for a long time myself."

"Love the confident mentality." Damian said before holding the Bokken out in front of him as well.

"Come on, are you really sure you want to do this?"

"Try me."

The two stood there for seconds to come, gripping the hilts as they locked eyes. Everything else fell blank within the moment, anticipating whether the other would be the first to make a move. This was short lived, turning at the sound of someone stepping down into the room from the set of stairs.

"Might I suggest putting on the protective kevlar suits before engaging in any Fencing bout?"

"Forget it Pennyworth, we were just about done here," Damian said standing up straight. "I just remembered something of importance that requires my immediate attention."

He returned the wooden sword to the wall where it belonged before turning back to face the two of them.

"And where is it you are going?" Alfred questioned.

"Not far," Damian replied walking toward the stairs. "I left something unfinished right outside the gate."

"How long until I should expect your return?"

"Twenty minutes." Damian replied before walking past the two.

He took his time on the way up, showing no sign of any kind of rush.

"First he challenges me, then walks away," Heiji said turning away. "I don't get it."

"Perhaps he was testing your inner shrewdness."

"You could be right, that boy is one hard guy to figure."

"Damian has a strange way of bonding with others, give it some time," Alfred said. "You've been here for a bit now, would you like me to drive you up to the station soon?"

"We'll give it a little longer, I'm sure they'll be here soon," Heiji said in response. "Besides, there's something I need to clarify with Drake in regards with tonight."

"Understood," Alfred said before turning away. "I'll be upstairs if you need me."

"Hold on, I'll come with you," Heiji said before noticing the Bokken still in his hand. "Well, as soon as I put this away that is."

"Right next to the other," Alfred pointed before turning for the stairs. "I'll see you up there."

With that he made his way up.

Eight minutes had gone by from the time they began walking. The station finally came into view after passing the second street intersection in the past minute. Several people could be seen as they headed down the staircase leading to the subway.

"Well, I guess this is it." Bernadea said looking their way.

"Maybe we'll see the two of you around some time." Nathan added.

"Let's hope that's the case," Conner said checking the time on his watch. "We've actually arrived with plenty of time to spare, the train you're waiting for won't be here for at least another ten minutes."

"If you want, we could stay and keep the both of you company until then." Conan offered.

"Nonsense," Bernadea declined. "I'm sure you have better things to do, no need for either of you to stick around any longer."

"You heard the lady, feel free to leave," Nathan said in agreement. "I'm sure we'll cross paths soon enough."

"We'll be looking forward to it."

"Until then."

They didn't waste any time from there, both Nathan and Bernadea heading down the stairs leading to the subway after giving the two of them a goodbye wave. They both looked on, watching as the two of them quickly became lost amongst the crowd.

"Not bad, that was actually a little fun."

"Can't argue with you there," Conan agreed. "So... what happens from here?"

"I think we both know, just not here," Conner replied. "You look hungry, what do you say we go and stop somewhere for something."

"...Sure, why not."

"I know just the place." Conner said as they began walking once again.

"How far is this place from here?"

"About a quarter of a mile, we'll be there in no time," Conner replied. "But before I answer what you'd like to know, I have a question for you."

"Go ahead."

"What made you become wary of me in the first place?"

He smiled at this, looking forward as they continued down the sidewalk.

"You'd be surprised," Conan replied. "I'll tell you as soon as we get there."

"Fair enough." Conner said before looking forward as well.

Nothing further was said as the two of them set out once more.

After treading around the room for a long period of time he finally decided to have a seat at the bottom of the staircase, remaining there for minutes to come. There was little to no sun light left to be seen, making headway for the stars in the far distance. He could hear the door to the right slide open, turning his head to see him step out from the room.

"I see the others have yet to arrive."

"And it's almost seven thirty," Heiji added. "I've already tried calling, they must be caught up in something."

"No use in sitting around here any longer," Alfred said. "Would you like to head down to the station now?"

"You know, I think that might be a good idea," Heiji said standing to his feet. "I can always catch up with the others later."

"Then so shall it be." Alfred said heading for the door.

He came to a stop after reaching the coat rack stand aside the door, lifting the jacket from where it rested before sliding it on.

"How far away is this place?" Heiji asked.

"The GCPD?" Alfred asked placing on a hat.

"GCPD," Heiji questioned. "I've heard that somewhere, what is that abbreviated for?"

"For the 'Gotham City Police Department' of course," Alfred replied after opening the door. "And to answer the other part of your question, it should be about a thirty to fifty minute drive depending on the traffic."

"Then we better get going."

"I had the same thought in mind," Alfred said holding the door in place. "After you."

He nodded in acceptance, walking out past him. Alfred headed out from close behind, taking a right upon reaching the bottom of the stairs.

"I'll go and bring the car around," Alfred said. "If you want to wait here, I'll be all but a minute or so."

"No rush here," Heiji said. "Take your time."

"Very well." Alfred said before heading for the garage.

A chilled current of air soared past, causing him to place his hands into the warmth of his jacket. He stood there for seconds to come, staring down the roadside past the dark forest that surrounded the perimeter. A small grin came to his face as he took a step forward.

"GCPD, here I come."

To Be Continued

Converting /tmp/phpaMT73W to /dev/stdout