Case Closed Fan Fiction ❯ When Pandora's Box Is Opened ❯ The Pen and the Sword ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Six
The Pen and the Sword
“Hiromi-chan!”
Watanabe Hiromi paused as a man came running out of the Osaka station. Her face broke into a grin as she recognised fellow novelist Higurashi Kenji.
“Ken-kun!” she greeted him. “So you were invited as well?”
“But of course,” he said, “all of the top names were.”
“I see you're as humble as ever.”
“No need to be when you're good,” he said with a cheeky grin. “You should know.”
“Flashing the silver tongue again, Higurashi?”
“Takahashi, how'd you sneak in?” Kenji said, greeting another novelist, Takahashi Kazuma. “I didn't think you had anything on the go at the moment.”
“Hoping to change that soon,” Kazuma said. “Watanabe-san, nice to see you again.”
“You too, Kazuma-kun,” she said with a smile. “Is this the place?” she glanced up at the large bookstore that they'd run into Kazuma in front of.
“I believe so,” he said. “Kuruma-san's got hotel rooms booked for everyone for the next couple of days, so we just need to meet him here to get keys and a convention schedule and such.”
“Shigeru-kun's done all right for himself,” Hiromi said approvingly as they stepped into the bustling bookstore.
“Yeah,” Kenji agreed, “it's just a shame his own work never cut it.”
“Well, it isn't as if it was any good,” another voice said from behind them. “You can't just publish anyone who knows how to spell. A novel is a work of art.”
“Kuragi-san,” Kazuma sighed as he turned to face the woman who was watching them piercingly from the doorway. He wondered if they'd passed her or if she'd just gotten there.
“But of course your talents made the grade, Chihiro-san,” Hiromi said scathingly, “the belle of the mystery scene. No doubt the first name on the list.”
“What a dubious pleasure it is to see you again, Kuragi-san,” Kenji said. “I suppose your omnipotence would know where our generous Kuruma-san is?”
“I'm surprised that a writer is so incapable of reading, particularly his invite,” Chihiro said as she walked past the three of them. “Kuruma Shigeru has closed off the cafe upstairs to meet the various writers. Of course, that is assuming that you got an invite. Or are you merely gatecrashing in order to pretend that you're a real novelist?”
“What? You-” Kenji began, but he was cut off by Hiromi.
“Ken-kun is a real novelist,” she stated, “more so than you, I daresay.” To the men's surprise. Chihiro paled a little before turning and flouncing off.
“What was that about?” Kenji asked, a little confused.
“Everyone has their skeletons in their closet,” Hiromi said cattily. “I daresay hers are rattling up a fuss.”
She stalked off towards the cafe. Kenji and Kazuma exchanged “women, huh?” looks before following.
{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{ }{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{} {}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}
“You four are the first ones here,” Shigeru Kuruma said as he greeted them. “Here's the schedule. Everyone's going to be doing readings from their newest books at various times tomorrow, and aside from that it's mostly book signings and discussions. We're holding it mainly in the crime and mystery sections, naturally. I think I have most of your books in stock for the readings-”
“Arigato for the thoughtfulness, Kuruma-san,” Chihiro said, “but I brought my own copy.” She pulled out a copy of her latest book, Crimson Moon, and kissed it lightly, blowing the kiss at Shigeru. He paled a little, but turned to the other writers with a smile.
“We're holding some early readings this afternoon,” he said, “so if anyone has copies of their books, if you'd like to bring them down to the mystery and crime section... it's already been blocked off...”
“How many others do you think are coming?” Hiromi asked as they descended the stairs to the store. She reflected that being a novelist was just the right sort of fame- money and prestige, but your fans didn't really know your face, so you could go out in public unmolested, unlike movie stars.
“Only three or four others, to be honest,” Shigeru said, edging past a group of teenagers in the manga section. “I invited more, but many were unable to make it.”
“That's too bad,” Kenji commented. “Ah, is this it?”
“This is quite large,” Kazuma said appreciatively as he counted shelves. “Larger than most of the other sections.”
“Well, remember that I did want to be a mystery novelist myself, once upon a time,” Shigeru said, leading them to a table next to the shelves where their books were displayed.
“Too bad your dreams surpassed your skill,” Chihiro sneered, settling her book in pride of place on the desk.
“Indeed,” Shigeru said quietly. “Indeed. Now, would you all like a little lunch?”
“Oh, that's a good idea,” Kazuma said as his stomach rumbled. “Is that cafe serving?”
“Actually, I'd like to go drop off my bag in the hotel first,” Hiromi said, checking her watch. “I'll meet you here later.”
“All right. You know where it is?” Shigeru asked. She nodded and waved as she left.
“Well, let's go, then,” Kenji said, setting his own book on the desk.
“Kuruma-han?” One of the girls at the desk called. “We've got a phone call for you...”
“I need to take this,” Shigeru said. “If you'll excuse me...”
“All right, we'll see you up there,” Kenji called, climbing the stairs after Kazuma and Chihiro.
{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{ }{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{} {}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}
Shigeru paused at the top of the stairs as he heard raised voices.
This filth?! As if I would sully my company by publishing this!”
“All right, you could have just said no! I'll take it elsewhere...”
“Ha! You can try! I can't imagine anyone brave enough to publish this. You might as well give it up- you'll make no money out of this.”
“It's not a bad novel. You barely read the prologue. Please, Kuragi-san, can't you give it a chance? I need this money!”
“Try again, Takahashi-san. I publish good writers, not desperate ones.”
“Oh, I'm sorry. Of course I'm not as perfect as you- who is? I merely tried to appeal to your kindness and sense of common decency. What a fool I was- chasing something that did not exist!”
“How dare you!”
Shigeru jumped back as the door swung open and Kazuma stormed through. “Takahashi-sensei, what-?”
“My apologies for not waiting for you, Kuruma-san,” he said stiffly, “but I cannot tolerate the presence of that witch any longer. I'm surprised that you can.”
“Don't worry about me,” Shigeru said gently. “Listen, things start up in about half an hour, so if you want to go calm down in the crime and mystery section...?”
“That sounds like a good idea,” Kazuma sighed. “I will see you then, Kuruma-san.”
Shigeru walked a little nervously into the cafe, where Chihiro was drinking a glass of iced tea with a sour look on her face.
“I do hope you're not infectious,” she said acidly. “I shouldn't want my talents to go down the drain like poor Kazuma-kun's.”
“Quite,” he said. “What happened to Higurashi-sensei?”
“Oh, he'll probably be back soon,” she said dismissively. “He said he'd promised to get a couple of souvenirs for his wife, and wanted to do that before the convention got underway.”
“Well, that call was another cancel, followed by two others who are going to be late, so I suppose we might as well start once Higurashi-sensei and Watanabe-sensei get here.”
“Fine,” she said, still sounding a little angry. “I will meet you in the crime and mystery section, then.”
“Looking forward to it, Kuragi-sensei.”
{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{ }{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{} {}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}
“Well, well. Hattori Heiji. What are you doing here?”
Oh, Kami...
“Yo, Hakuba,” Heiji said with a sigh as he turned to face the other teen detective. “I should be askin' you that. I live here.”
“I'm just here for the mystery novel convention,” Hakuba said, gesturing at the large bookstore a few doors down as he caught up to Heiji, “and of course, to catch Kid. Are you coming to the convention as well?”
“Yeah,” Heiji said, now regretting it. “Kaa-san's at a pal's birthday party, but she's mad on mystery books so she asked me t'get her loadsa autographs.”
“Looks like quite a number of big names didn't make it,” Hakuba said, running a glance down the list of writers present posted at the door. “Ah, we're just in time for a reading from Kuragi Chihiro-sensei!”
“What? It's starting?!”
“Excuse us!”
Heiji and Hakuba jumped aside as a young man and woman ran past them, pushing through the crowds headed for the crime and mystery section.
“Was that Watanabe Hiromi-sensei?” Hakuba said in surprise, heading for the crowd. Heiji, however, headed towards the magazine aisle. “Hey, where are you going?”
“Shortcut,” Heiji said, jogging down the almost-empty aisle. “Ya can skip the crowds if ya head down here... here we go...” He pulled a turnstile display with calendars on it out of the way and ended up at the crime and mystery section, right in front of the bookcases where four writers were sitting with their newest books displayed.
“It is Watanabe Hiromi-sensei!” Hakuba said approvingly. “Ah, and that's Higurashi Kenji-sensei... and Takahashi Kazuma-sensei, I'm surprised he's here, he hasn't published anything this year... oh, and Kuragi Chihiro-sensei!”
The woman in question had stood up, to cheering from the crowd and rather pinched looks from the other authors, as well as a man standing to one side whom Heiji vaguely recognised as the owner of the bookstore.
“Thank you all for coming,” she said, holding up the book. “I'm going to give you a treat today- I'm going to read the prologue of my newest book, Crimson Moon. Copies are available to buy behind me and at the desk- I'll be signing them later.” With a smile, she kissed the book lightly, before pressing her fingers to her lips to blow a kiss to the audience.
Suddenly, she froze, her eyes widening. The book fell from her fingers and she fell to her knees, clutching her throat and gasping. People in the crowd screamed.
“Kuragi-sensei!” the owner cried, running over to catch her as she slumped backwards. Heiji ducked the ropes separating the crowd from the authors and ran over to help, pulling out his phone as he did so.
“Otaki-han, we need an ambulance and some cops at the Kuruma Bookstore, stat!” he hollered. Chihiro's eyes were rolling up into her head.
“Kuragi-sensei!” the owner cried in horror, shaking her.
“Don't do that!” Heiji yelled. “Lie `er down flat!” The owner backed away, bumping into the bookshelves as Heiji laid Chihiro on the floor. But it was too late. With a last shuddering gasp, she fell still.
“Scratch the ambulance, Otaki-han,” Heiji said into the phone. “Just get down here.” Hakuba was nowhere to be seen, but Heiji could hear him calling to the store staff to lock all of the doors and guard the emergency exits while trying to calm the screaming crowd. Heiji eyed the book lying on the floor with a smudged lipstick stain on it.
Was it...?
{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{ }{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{} {}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}
“Whaddya mean, there were no traces of poison?!” Heiji cried.
“You cannot be serious,” Hakuba muttered, for once united with Heiji in indignation.
“There was nothing on the book, Hei-chan,” Otaki said. He sounded confused too. “It was only on her fingers and lips. She must have touched something else. We'll test the rest of the area, but...”
“Can you tell us your movements prior to the murder?” Hakuba said to the three surviving novelists and the store owner. They had adjourned to the cafe. All of the employees and patrons had been asked to remain in the front entrance under the watchful eye of the police, but the novelists and the store owner were the main suspects, as the only ones in the store who knew her personally.
“I-I'm Kuruma Shigeru, the store owner,” he said. “Kuragi-san got here with the other three at about twelve. I met them at the front entrance and we came up to the cafe to get schedules and hotel keys. We then went down to the crime and mystery section, because she'd brought her own copy of Crimson Moon and wanted to read from it later, so she was going to leave it down there. We were all together until that point, but after that, I had to take a few calls before returning to the cafe. Up there, I met Kuragi-sensei and at ten to one, we came down here together in time for the readings to start at one.”
Where were the rest of you in between times?” Hakuba asked, addressing the novelists.
“I'm Higurashi Makoto,” the younger man said. “I started to go back up to the cafe, but then I remembered that I'd promised to get a couple of souvenirs for my wife.” He held up a shopping bag by way of proof. “I ran into Hiromi-chan on my way back. We got here about one.”
“Where'd you been, then?” Heiji asked the woman. “Watanabe Hiromi-han, right?”
“Um, yes,” she said. She was very pale-faced. “I went to my hotel room to drop off my luggage. I was nearly late back because it's quite a ways away from here.”
“And you, Takahashi Kazuma-sensei”? Hakuba asked, turning to the older man.
“Ah, I was in the cafe with Kuragi-san,” he said a little nervously, “But I left early because we had an argument. I went down to the crime and mystery section at about quarter to one.”
“You were alone down there?” Otaki asked sharply. Kazuma gulped and nodded.
“A-am I a suspect?” he asked. Otaki nodded.
“You all are,” he said, “for now.”
“Keiji-san, this might not be relevant, but, well...” Hiromi said, “When I was at the hotel, I felt like... someone was watching me. Once, when I turned around, I could have sworn I saw someone duck out of sight...”
“So it's possible that an outside party was involved,” Otaki said. “Noted. Now, if you could remain here, we're going to inspect the crime scene.”
{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{ }{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{} {}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}
{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{ }{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{} {}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}
My first review on MM.org or FF.net! Arigato Gozaimasu, WolfDaughter, Peppymint Mel7200 and Silvershadowbreeze! Geez, it's all FF.net... I feel unloved on MM.org... jk! And Hakuba is going to get quite a lot deeper and less prick-ish, yes, mainly in regards to his friendships with both Kaito and Heiji. He's starting off with my own personal and initial(and as you've seen, unflattering) opinions of him, but since writing the early chapters I've read some good fanfic (Ellen Brand on FF.net- she is GOOD and makes me roflmao) which has caused me to think about him a little more deeply. I'm going to delve deeper into Akako, as well.
I'm trying to learn Japanese, so I'm slipping bits in where I can (mostly in the way people address others), but if you see anything that I'm using incorrectly don't hesitate to shout out. I'm ready to learn!
BTW, Silver Shadowbreeze, were you referring to “The fat lady's still at the pre-show buffet”? It's something my dad says a lot. It's a derivative of the phrase “It ain't over `till the fat lady sings”, in reference to the stereotypical end of an opera with a fat lady belting it out. Basically, he's saying it's nowhere NEAR over yet. Don't count your chickens until they've hatched is similar.
And yes, this will be epic. At the time of publishing, I'm halfway through writing chapter 23 and I'm nowhere near halfway through the story yet. As I'm still writing I'm posting a chapter a week (I'm posting more often right now because I'm on holiday, but when it's back to school it's exams, so I'll be back to once a week), but once I've finished I'll post more often. I'm glad to know that you're enjoying it, so stick around, and please keep reviewing- knowing that people enjoy what I write makes all the wrestling with writer's block and fighting off plot bunnies worthwhile!
I do not claim to own any of the characters in Meitantei Conan. They are the intellectual property of Aoyama Gosho. All characters, couples and locations, if Canon, will be faithful to the manga, so if you're into fics with weird pairings like Ran and Heiji, the back button is at the top there. The fic may not make sense if you have not read up to chapter 679, which you can do at Onemanga.com, but I advise you to buy the official Tankoban novels (up to volume 27 are out in English at the time of writing) so that Aoyama-sensei can afford to continue gracing us with his imagination. Now, I hope you enjoy the fic! (If you don't, please see my previous comments re the back button).