Chobits Fan Fiction ❯ The Adventures of Hideki ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: Chobits and any other anime that I might have borrowed names or ideas from does not belong to me

Okay… now that that's dealt with, on with the story! Enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My name is Hideki Suzuhara. I am a student who was accepted to a very prestigious high school. Maybe it wasn't the greatest thing that happened to me, but my parents were very proud that their own flesh and blood had made it to Seki High School. It was a school where "futures were forged and relationships blossomed." Too bad it didn't happen to everyone.

* * * * *

I remember the first day so clearly. On orientation day, I was so excited. I had a wonderful dream. Maybe I would forge a new life: a life that would help me to free myself from my money driven parents. Maybe I would be lucky enough to get a scholarship to the top university in Japan, Tokyo University. I think I also had the secret hope that I would find my soul mate.

"Hello, class of 2929. You will be the future for this nation and the world. It is up to you to make our country shine. You were picked out of the many applicants by your academics as well as your physical state. Throughout your stay here at Seki High School, you will learn the skills to further carry this world into its haven. Good luck class of 2929." With that, the instructor left us to chat and get to know one another better.

I guess I wasn't too much a talker back then so I just walked around randomly telling people who I was and asking people who they were. For a long time, it didn't seem to look like I was getting anywhere. But all of a sudden, something caught my eye. Actually, that something turned out to be a someone.

"Yumi?!"

"Hideki-chan!" Yumi said with surprise and excitement as she turned her head in my direction.

After a great sigh I said, "Why do you always have to call me Hideki-chan? Can't you drop the chan part? We're 14 now, and I'm not a kid anymore!"

"But if I dropped it, you wouldn't be my Hideki-chan!" Yumi said as she giggled.

[Jeez!] I thought. [She never takes me seriously. We've been the same classes since preschool, but she's always called me Hideki-chan.]

By this time, Yumi had made some friends and they were flocking all over me. Every one of them seemed to try and get everything done at the same time and it was hard for me to answer, acknowledge, and listen all at the same time.

"So your name's Hideki-chan?"

"How long have you both been friends?"

"Since preschool?"

"Wow!"

"That's a long time!"

By this time, Yumi was off to the side laughing really hard. My expression that was changing from wonder to sadness in .5 seconds flat made me look like… something bizarre. I would think that my somewhat awkward performance would have made them think I was weird, but apparently, Yumi's friends were too busy talking to notice it too much. Yumi knew my desire to be attentive and to show no disrespect, so she just giggled and didn't make a big deal out of it. Anyways, the girls recognized me for a while but just as Yumi's friend. Maybe that's what I did wrong. Either way, I shouldn't have made myself look like a sucker.

* * * * *

"Suzuhara, Hideki."

"Present!"

"Hirakoshi, Yumi."

"Here!"

"You will be sharing tables with Hideki."

[Oh no! Not her!]

Yumi waved her hand like everything was perfect. I sighed and hung my head.

Our desk wasn't that big. It was plain and had been finished with a marble-white color paint. There wasn't anything on it except a nametag that would be propped up for our teachers who would need that extra help trying to memorize our names. Other than that, there were two drawers; one for each person right under the desktop. That was a relief because I knew that Yumi loved to fiddle with other people's stuff; especially mine.

Well, our first teacher walked in while the majority of the class was trying to get to know their table partners. I, having known my table partner since preschool, was grimacing at my bad luck while Yumi kept telling me that it had to be fate.

Our teacher looked strict. He went straight to the board and wrote "Stevens" in beautiful handwriting.

[So he must be part American. Wow! He looks young! I'd say about 20 or so. Not in too bad a shape either. Actually, he'd pass for a model if he dressed right. I wonder why he looks so angry…]

"Konnichi wa, Stevens-sensei!"

"Good morning, class. What I am handing out to you right now are the rules for my class during your four-year stay at Seki High School. Failure to abide by these rules will result in a trip to the principal where she will punish you accordingly. There will be a separate punishment from me." He went on to tell us what he expected from us as students and what he would be teaching us. Because he was American, he would teach us the English language and history. Soon, the period ended and we had our seven-minute break.

"Wow! What a mean teacher!"

"Each piece of paper left by a student will be ten extra minutes of clean up after school?!"

"And violation of rules will result in 30 extra minutes of clean up on top of punishment from the principal?! Who is this guy?"

As all the students started talking and complaining, I was feeling awkward, almost sorry for Stevens-sensei. I could tell he had hardened emotionally from all the prejudice he received for being half American. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw that Yumi was silent as well. For some reason, she seemed kind of sad and thoughtful.

[Yumi's probably sad that she has a mean teacher. She'd never be able to understand what I know. She's too childish.]

As I was summing up my thoughts, an upper classman came to tell us that we would have Ryoji-sensei for our physical education and science out on the field everyday. So our class headed out to see what out second teacher would be like.

* * * * *

When we finally arrived at our destination, everyone was awestruck by the beautiful view the field portrayed. The field itself wasn't that big, but the view beyond the school fence was spectacular. With mountains in the back, underbrush that was blossoming with flowers, and a lake centered in an alcove the trees had allowed, it looked like a paradise.

Out of nowhere, Ryoji-sensei popped out and scared us all.

"BOO!" he shouted.

Everyone had probably been scared out of their wits, but they all just stared at him with wide eyes.

"Aww. Well, you're no fun."

[At least it's not a strict teacher this time.]

"Konnichi wa, Ryoji-sensei," we replied one after the other.

"Yeah, yeah. I want you all to know that my first priority is to make your stay at Seki a little fun so be ready for surprises."

You could see all the students heave a sigh. Finally they found a teacher that they would like.

* * * * *

The period continued after Ryoji-sensei tried to loosen us up with a corny joke. He told us a few guidelines and procedures that should be held as students of his class.

He handed us a short list that said:

Nothing is to be touched unless given permission by the instructor.

Safety is very important. If anything jeopardizes the safety of anyone, one must prevent harm from happening to themselves or their classmates.

If something happens that should not have, one must inform the teacher or a persocom.

Someone gasped, "A persocom?!"

"Cool!"

"There's a persocom here?"

[Wow! I'll finally get to see a persocom!]

You see, a decade or so ago, a scientist dedicated the better half of his life trying to make a robot that would perfectly mimic a human. Finally, in his last years, he made the "prototype." It could walk and answer and do simple tasks, but that was about it. But this simple human-like robot sparked a worldwide obsession. Using the models drawn for the scientist's "prototype," people started to perfect the persocom to become man's greatest tool. One of the other reasons that Seki High School became so famous was because "the Father," (Dr. Kokubunji) maker of the "prototype," was top of his class at Seki High School.

Well, anyways, Ryoji-sensei started to talk again.

"Come on out and meet the kids, Amy!" Ryoji-sensei said with a chuckle.

Suddenly, a soft gentle voice replied from Ryoji-sensei's room.

"Yes, Ryoji-san."

Then, ever so gracefully, the persocom eased the door open and walked outside towards us.

Everyone gasped.

"Wow!"

"She's so pretty!"

Amy was pretty. Her facial features were truly a work of art. It didn't stop there. Amy had a body that a supermodel would be jealous of. She wouldn't have looked any different from a human if it hadn't been for her ears. It was the same with any other persocom. Instead of ears, they had modules. These were where their usb cords were all located. The cords were used when the persocoms had to be hooked up to a computer for a data checkup or a background scan. Sometimes, persocoms would be hooked up to the computer to get reprogrammed. For example, if a persocom was only programmed to cook ramen all day and the owner was sick of it, all they would have to do is buy software that taught how to make new dishes then install it into their persocom. Persocoms also came equipped with wireless modems that connect directly to the net to do anything from checking e-mail to surfing the web for information. Some say that Man's new best friend is the persocom.

After a quick question-and-answer session with Amy, it was time for our next class. We reluctantly said good-bye to Ryoji-sensei and Amy. Then my classmates and I left to get back to our classrooms.

* * * * *

After our 25-minute break and our five-minute passing period, the students started to shuffle back into their seats.

Suddenly, a small voice was heard at the door.

"Open the door for me, will you?"

Takeshi, who sat right next to the door, replied uncertainly, "Uh… sure."

When the door fully opened, a short old man hobbled inside.

[Oh my god! He looks like he's in his late 80's. What the heck is he doing teaching as a high school teacher? Jeez, he looks like he's going to collapse any second. Oh well, I've got to learn to show this person more respect, I'm sure he'd demand more of it anyway.]

The old man spent 5 minutes stacking a mountain of books. Soon, it served as a platform. After he got up there, he finally started to introduce himself.

"Ahem. My name is Mr. Hamasaki."

"Konnichi wa, Hamasaki-sensei!"

Startled at the loud noise, he stammered, "Y…yes. Well, I will be your college preparation teacher. For the next four years you stay at Seki High School, you will be taught and trained to get into the best university! You must all live up to the school name! You must all succeed! Maybe one of you will be the next innovator. Yes. I remember the good old days… I used to call Kokubunji `sempai*.'"

Everyone straightened in his or her seat.

* Sempai is a title for a person who you know well, but is older than you like a brother or sister. Then you would call that person sempai.

"Kokubunji was Hamasaki-sensei's sempai?!"

"Wow!"

Someone couldn't resist and asked, "What was he like?"

Hamasaki-sensei chuckled, "Sempai? Well, he was always a good person, very nice and straightforward. He was known to come from a genius family. Everything he did, he had to excel in. If there was something Kokubunji-sempai couldn't do, he would throw a fit. He had to be `the best,' to live up to his family name. I guess he did in the end."

Hamasaki-sensei went on to talk about his school days with Kokubunji. After two hours, it was finally over and it was time for lunch.

"Man that teacher is a pushover," Takeshi exclaimed. "Get him excited about something and two hours just slip by!"

[Yeah, Hamasaki-sensei might make a good grandfather, but as a teacher, he wouldn't be able to teach us.]

"What are you thinking about, Hideki-chan?" Yumi asked.

"I'm trying to think of a way to stop you from calling me by that name," I replied with exasperation.

"What did you bring for lunch Hideki-chan?"

"Oh no you don't!"

"No I don't what?" Yumi cooed.

"You're not swindling my lunch off of me anymore! We're not even in junior high anymore! Can't you cook?!"

For once Yumi was speechless. She seemed to be hesitating, like she didn't know what to say. It was almost as if she was hurt. I was almost convinced.

"Of course I can cook…"

"See? So eat your food."

"Oh… okay. I'm sorry…"

I was shocked! For the first time, she didn't fight back! When I finally came to my senses I saw Yumi shuffling in her backpack like she was looking for her lunch. Finally, she flopped back in her chair with her back turned to me and made eating motions, but a quick glance over her shoulder proved that she had only taken out a book.

"Here," I said handing her my lunch.

"Oh no. I'm too busy eating mine. Yum."

"Quit fooling around!"

After a moments pause, Yumi slowly slid the book onto the desk without facing me.

"You don't have to give it to me if you don't want to. Besides, you're probably hungry too."

The tone of her voice gave me goose bumps. I had never heard Yumi speak in such a small voice.

"I'm not hungry."

*GROWL*

[Of all moments! Why did my stomach have to growl now?]

"Your stomach doesn't think so… I'm sorry. I shouldn't have teased you so much," she whispered.

"Fine. We'll share. And you better not try to argue!"

With finality, I snapped off the lid.

"Tempura? Eggs? Fish? Jeez! Can't she just pack me some rice balls? Tell you what, Yumi. I'll give you my lunch everyday."

"What? Why? What about you?"

"What about me? It's not like you would actually care."

"I do!" Yumi's sudden answer surprised me. Her tone of voice was sincere.

"Fine!" I exclaimed after a moment of silence. "You can cook, right?"

"Umm… a little."

"Then we'll swap lunches everyday. You can make me rice balls. Okay?"

"Okay!"

Yumi's smile was back. I was relieved. I handed her my dish. She took it but seemed to have second thoughts as to whether or not to eat it.

"You don't like it? I guess I'll have to toss it."

"No! I'll eat it Hideki-chan!"

"Hey! Quit calling me that!"

I only said it halfheartedly. I was just so relieved to see Yumi's smile again.

*Giggle*

[She's kind of cute when she giggles like that. Hey! What am I thinking?!]

*Blush*

I quickly excused myself to go to the restroom. Once I got there, I splashed my face with water.

[What the heck was wrong with me back there? What was I doing thinking those things? I don't even like her!]

Before I had anything else to do, the lunch bell rang.

*Ring*

"Oh no!"

I ran all the way back to get to the classroom. I wasn't late, but I was out of breath. I plopped down on my seat. Finally, it was the last period of the day and I was looking forward to meeting my last teacher. A minute later, the door opened and in stepped a persocom.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wow… that chapter is long. I just figured it would be better that way. You know, catch your attention and all. I don't know if anyone will enjoy this. And don't worry, action fans, you won't be disappointed! I have fight scenes coming up. Okay, enough of my incessant babbling.

Review plz!