Clamp School Fan Fiction / Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Nokoru's First Love ❯ From This Land To Eternity ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

SailorStar9: I'm skipping Episodes 14 and 15 of the anime and jumping straight into Episode 16. As always, read and review.
 
Words in italics refer to thoughts and flashbacks.
 
Disclaimers: Why do I have to say this every darn time? I own not the legal rights of Sailor Moon or CLAMP Campus Detectives.
 
Chapter 10: From This Land To Eternity
 
***************************************************************** ******************
 
The scene opens with a Clamp airplane flying over the shimmering sea with our six main characters on board.
 
“That's amazing. So blue, so clear and shimmering.” Akira breathed in awe.
 
“Just like President Ohkawa eh, Akira?” Nokoru teased.
 
“Yes.” Akira beamed.
 
Then, realizing what he had just said, Akira blushed.
 
“Nokoru-kun.” Ami looked up from the pamphlet she had been reading.
 
“Yes.” Nokoru turned to his fiancée.
 
“Stop teasing them.” Ami warned.
 
“Why?” Nokoru grinned.
 
“Don't make me use that sentence on you.” Ami threatened.
 
Nokoru's grin turned grim, “You won't dare.”
 
“Try me.” Ami retorted, with an amused smirk.
 
“And pray what sentence would that be?” Utako raised a brow at the two bickering seniors.
 
“The `you're-on-the-couch-tonight' sentence.” Ami grinned.
 
“I see Ami-sensei has President Imonoyama under control. And you two aren't even married yet.” Utako remarked.
 
“Make that absolute control, Utako-chan.” Ami added, giving her fiancé a mock glare.
 
The other four chuckled as Nokoru blushed.
 
“But this is a splendid coral reef.” Suoh remarked, turning back to the plane window.
 
“Yes.” Nagisa agreed.
 
“I heard that this area has one of the few treasured coral reefs in the world.” Suoh commented.
 
“Exactly. This island especially has something famous that is particular to this area.” Nokoru nodded, flipping out his fan.
 
“What kind of thing is it?” Nagisa asked.
 
“It's something famous that is particular to this island.” Nokoru replied.
 
“I'm asking what kind of thing it is.” Nagisa sweatdropped.
 
“I'm saying that it's something famous that is particular.” Nokoru answered.
 
“You started to mention it, but you forgot the details, didn't you?” Suoh pointed out.
 
“Just like you to figure out Suoh.” Nokoru laughed nervously.
 
“I've known you long enough Kaichou.” Suoh replied.
 
“Remind me to drill you in Marine Biology when we get back.” Ami replied, looking pointedly at Nokoru.
 
The blonde gulped and nodded.
 
“Well, that doesn't matter. In any case, we're almost on the island. Ger ready.” Nokoru announced, getting over his nervousness.
 
“We're really doing that?” Akira inquired.
 
“Of course.” Nokoru replied.
 
“But…” Suoh protested.
 
“I've always wanted to do it.” Utako beamed.
 
So, let's go!” she exclaimed, pulled Akira with her.
 
“You and your wracked up ideas. Sometimes I wonder why I put up with you.” Ami remarked, shaking her head at the enthusiastic Utako.
 
“But you still love me right?” Nokoru teased.
 
“It's at times like this I wonder why I do.” Ami retorted playfully, a hint of a smile on her face.
 
“Ha, ha.” Nokoru replied sarcastically.
 
“By the way, where's the ring?” he inquired.
 
“Here. Can't have it lost at sea can I?” Ami replied, showing him the thread necklace she wore around her neck, the said ring threaded in it.
 
***************************************************************** ******************
 
“But why now?” Suoh asked as the back hatch of the plane opened.
 
“We can't let a lady who has never done this before go by herself.” Nokoru replied.
 
“I guess…” Akira mumbled.
 
“Let's go.” Nokoru nodded, jumping out of the plane in his parachute.
 
Ami sighed and shook her head.
 
“He's so getting it later.” She promised, following her fiancé's example.
 
Having no choice left, Suoh and Akira leapt off the plane with Nagisa and Utako strapped to them respectively.
 
“This is amazing. My mind and body are both in paradise.” Akira beamed, keeping his parachute.
 
“Hurry! Hurry!” Utako called out to the two boys.
 
“Where should we go first?” Akira asked once everyone was settled in the cottage.
 
“Coral reef, primeval forest, land of gregarious wild birds. This island is so full of nature's treasures. I don't know where to start.” Suoh remarked.
 
“It's the island that was chosen as best for a summer vacation research project.” Nokoru stated.
 
“Um what is this?” Nagisa asked, pointing to a ship mark on the map.
 
“According to an old legend, it's a sanctuary that most should not go near. Apparently all ships that approached that area sunk and became ghost ships.” Nokoru replied.
 
“Ooh my, ghost ships?” Nagisa beamed.
 
“That's it! Let's go there! This is a summer project after all.” Utako announced.
 
Both Suoh and Akira sweatdropped at the overenthusiastic girl.
 
***************************************************************** ******************
 
Scents of the ocean are refreshing.” Akira commented, breathing in the sea breeze.
 
“A ghost ship is nice but we can leave for tomorrow. Today, we can enjoy the sea.” Suoh noted.
 
“Should we go?” he turned to Nokoru.
 
“It's better if it's just the four of you. I want to bask in this shower of light for a bit more.” Nokoru declined.
 
That's right. Kaichou can't swim at all unless it's to help a lady in need. Suoh noted.
 
Ami looked on as the four frolicked in the sea water.
 
“As expected you have zero athletic ability unless it's to help a woman.” The blue-haired girl remarked, forming an `O' with her hand.
 
“You noticed.” Nokoru blushed.
 
“Either that, or you don't want to play gooseberry.” The girl noted, looking at the two couples.
 
“Why should I play gooseberry when I have you?” Nokoru inquired teasingly.
 
“Since when did you have such a sweet-talker?” Ami inquired.
 
“Ever since you came back into my life.” Nokoru told her.
 
“Aishiteru Ami-chan.” He muttered, turning himself around to kiss her.
 
“You said that once before.” Ami mumbled.
 
“Only making up for the five years lost.” Nokoru shrugged.
 
Then the pair noticed something.
 
“Para-gliding?” Ami frowned.
 
“Seems like it.” Nokoru nodded.
 
“Amazing.” Ami breathed.
 
“Indeed.” Nokoru nodded.
 
Then he jumped up in shock when he noticed that the other four were standing beside them.
 
“Guess we got caught.” Ami grinned.
 
“Don't be so surprised.” Nagisa remarked.
 
“I would like to try that.” Utako nodded frantically.
 
“Yeah.” Nokoru agreed.
 
“I wonder what kind of person is controlling that?” Akira wondered.
 
The group watched as the glider landed on the beach a little off the cliff that oversaw the sea.
 
“That's definitely the para-glider.” Akira nodded as the group peeked out from behind the coconut trees.
 
“Let's get a little closer.” Utako suggested.
 
The para-glider turned and the group quickly hid back to their hiding spots.
 
Ami sighed and stepped out.
 
“Were you using that?” she asked, stepping forward to the para-glider.
 
“Oh yes.” The bronze-skinned girl replied.
 
“You're amazing. You don't seem much older than us and you” Akira beamed.
 
The para-glider sweatdropped at the group and laughed, “It's nothing hard really. If you practice anyone can control it.”
 
“Oh will I be able to?” Utako asked.
 
“Of course.” The para-glider replied.
 
“Then can you teach us?” Akira inquired.
 
“Sure.” The para-glider nodded and stood up.
 
“Oh, I'm Anita. I'm 12 years old. Nice to meet you.” Anita introduced herself.
 
“Nice to meet you too.” The group chorused.
 
Aside, a sandy-blonde boy watched and ran off.
 
***************************************************************** ******************
 
“All right, first you spread the left and right canopies separately. Then be careful not to tangle the line here.” Anita instructed before her attention was turned away.
 
The sadly-blonde boy from before looked sadly at Anita before walking away.
 
“Is this all right?” Akira called out.
 
“Um…” the fourth grader started when he noticed that Anita was not responding.
 
“Oh yes.” Anita replied, turning to Akira.
 
“Something the matter?” Akira asked.
 
“No, not really.” Anita replied.
 
“Oh then I'll try it out a bit.” She diverted the attention away from her.
 
Getting on the cliff, Anita stood a few meters away from the edge, ran and jumped off.
 
“That's amazing.” Nokoru breathed.
 
“Something's wrong.” Ami frowned, her watchful eyes never leaving Anita.
 
“Oh no!” Suoh exclaimed as the wind blew Anita off course.
 
Without a moment's hesitation, Ami leapt into the water, swimming towards the unconscious Anita and pulling her back to shore.
 
***************************************************************** ******************
 
“We were surprised. But I'm glad nothing serious happened.” Nokoru commented, once the group was back in the summer cottage.
 
“I wish I didn't volunteer to teach like a know-it-all.” Anita confessed.
 
“Don't say that.” Akira objected, presenting a glass of juice in front of her.
 
“Thank you.” Anita smiled.
 
“Is it because of that boy?” Ami suddenly asked.
 
Anita gasped and looked at her.
 
“The boy hiding behind the trees was the one that made you lose concentration?” Nokoru added.
 
“Maron is... possessed by a ghost.” Anita replied.
 
“Huh?” the Clamp group chorused.
 
“Until recently, he was very friendly.” Anita added.
 
***************************************************************** ******************
 
Flashback
 
“Anita, your birthday is coming up, right?” Maron asked.
 
“You remembered?” Anita beamed.
 
“I'll give you a great gift, so look forward to it.” Maron promised.
 
“I wonder what it is…” Anita mused.
 
“It's something extraordinary.” Maron told her.
 
“What is it? What is it?” Anita pressed.
 
“A treasure that lies under the ghost ship.” Maron whispered into her ear.
 
End of Flashback
 
***************************************************************** ******************
 
“I told him that I didn't need it because that was too freaky. But it was soon after that Maron started acting weird.” Anita admitted.
 
“Weird?” Nokoru echoed.
 
“He doesn't talk to me when I see him on the streets. He won't answer if I call him. So I came to the conclusion that he went by himself to get the treasure and got possess by a ghost.” Anita replied.
 
***************************************************************** ******************
 
“We can't leave her alone.” Suoh remarked as the Clamp group walked along the beach as the sun was setting.
 
“But what if it's a real ghost?” Nagisa asked.
 
“Can't be.” Suoh waved her concern aside.
 
“But it's true that something happened to that boy named Maron.” He noted.
 
Nokoru nodded, “We can't leave this case alone.”
 
“That means…” Nagisa prompted.
 
“It's time for the Clamp School Detectives!” Utako finished her sentence.
 
“Yes!” Nokoru nodded.
 
Everyone else, minus Ami nodded.
 
The blue-haired girl let out a `why-do-I-even-bother' sigh.
 
***************************************************************** ******************
 
Later, the three boys sneaked over to Maron's house.
 
“It still looks usable.” Suoh noted, glancing over at the furniture left in the yard.
 
“I wonder if they're cleaning out the house.” Akira mused.
 
“I don't know.” Nokoru admitted.
 
When they heard Maron's footsteps, the three quickly ducked into the bushes.
 
When Maron turned into a corner, the three ran after him.
 
“He disappeared?” Akira blinked.
 
“That can't be true.” Suoh remarked.
 
“Is he a ghost after all?” Akira asked his senior.
 
“Impossible.” Suoh told him
 
Nokoru looked around and saw a beach house.
 
“Suoh, wasn't the other side of this…” he mused.
 
Suoh gasped, realizing what Nokoru noticed, “That's right.”
 
The three walked towards the house, only Maron standing under a tree.
 
“I wonder what he's doing? It looks a bit scary.” Akira pondered.
 
Nokoru gave Suoh a look and the ninja nodded and took off.
 
Maron saw Suoh coming for him and made a run for it.
 
Reaching a wall, Maron jumped over the ledge, Suoh following close behind.
 
Maron quickly turned the corner and stepped back when he found himself trapped.
 
“Why did you run?” Nokoru asked.
 
“Because you were chasing after me.” Maron replied.
 
“But I'm glad. You have legs.” Akira quipped, causing Nokoru and Suoh to sweatdrop.
 
“Don't mind him.” Nokoru waved Akira's comment aside.
 
“I heard you were no longer speaking to Anita. I know this may feel nosy to you, but I think you should talk it out with her.” He noted.
 
“Or do you dislike Anita now?” Akira asked.
 
“At least I know that she is in a lot of sorrow.” Nokoru remarked.
 
“Why would I dislike her?” Maron protested loudly and ran off.
 
Akira was about to run after him when Nokoru stopped him.
 
“Suoh, go back to the cottage and make a phone call.” Nokoru requested.
 
“Phone call?” Suoh echoed.
 
“Call a marine shipping company.” Nokoru clarified.
 
***************************************************************** ******************
 
“As you said Kaichou, there was a reservation.” Suoh confirmed.
 
“A reservation to a marine shipping company?” Utako inquired.
 
“Maron's family is moving. I thought it was odd when I saw all those items that were being thrown away in front of their residence. There were too many things that wouldn't be thrown away in many cases but it's understandable if they're moving.” Nokoru reasoned.
 
“I see… and he's good friends with Anita too.” Akira nodded.
 
“And Anita…?” Ami trailed.
 
“She doesn't know it, yet anyway.” Nokoru answered her unfinished question.
 
“Then by chance the day that they move…” Nagisa prompted.
 
“They're moving on Anita's birthday; tomorrow.” Nokoru replied.
 
“Darn, it's times like this I hate how fate works.” Ami muttered.
 
“No.” Anita's shocked gasp alerted the group.
 
“Anita.” Ami blinked.
 
“I asked her to come.” Nokoru told the group.
 
“Is what you just said true?” Anita asked.
 
Nokoru nodded.
 
“But there must be a good reason…” Nagisa began.
 
She did not get to finish her sentence when Anita ran out.
 
“Anita…” Nokoru muttered in worry.
 
“She'll be fine. The fates won't separate them like this.” Ami told him.
 
“I hope so, Ami-chan.” Nokoru sighed.
 
***************************************************************** ******************
 
Anita was now running to Maron's house as the sandy-blonde boy was doing the last preparations to leave.
 
“Maron…” Anita began.
 
“It's a lie right? That you're moving tomorrow. Tell me it's a lie! Maron!” She ran to the shorter boy.
 
Maron turned away and replied, “The software that my father made got recognized and he's going to be in charge of more of the project. So…”
 
“But it doesn't have to be tomorrow.” Anita protested.
 
“But, it's already been decided.” Maron told her.
 
“That can't be…” Anita breathed.
 
***************************************************************** ******************
 
Flashback
 
“The evening of your birthday wait for me at the rocks of the gods.” Maron told her.
 
“But…” Anita protested.
 
“Don't worry. It will be a wonderful gift.” Maron beamed.
 
End of Flashback
 
***************************************************************** ******************
 
“That's so cruel! It's too sudden!” Anita cried.
 
“I couldn't tell you.” Maron replied.
 
“What will happen tomorrow?” Anita asked fearfully.
 
Maron could not answer.
 
“We're leaving the port at 5.00.” Maron shouted, running back into the house.
 
Tearing up, Anita ran past the Clamp group.
 
“Anita.” Akira blinked.
 
Frowning, Utako ran towards Maron's open window.
 
“President Ohkawa!” Nokoru call out.
 
“Hey you!” the girl leapt up on the window ledge.
 
“What are you doing to do? Hurting a maiden's feelings like that!” she demanded.
 
“What about you? Barging into someone's home like this!” Maron rebuked.
 
“If you're giving her a gift, you can give it to her today right? If tomorrow is bad, what's wrong with today?” Utako questioned.
 
“I would have done so long ago if I could.” Maron replied.
 
“Does that gift not exist yet?” Akira asked, coming forward.
 
“It exists, but it's not a treasure yet today. Only tomorrow will it be a treasure.” Maron replied.
 
“Only tomorrow?” Utako echoed.
 
“What do you mean? What kind of treasure…” Akira was confused.
 
“LEAVE ME ALONE! I CAN'T DO ANYTHING!” Maron shouted closing the window.
 
***************************************************************** ******************
 
“What's up with him? I don't understand him at all. This is just too cruel! Really!” Utako demanded.
 
“But it's a little disappointing.” Nagisa noted.
 
“Just when love was about to be born between the two of them…” Akira mused.
 
“About to be born…” Nokoru echoed.
 
Thinking for a minute, he beamed, “I see…”
 
“Kaichou?” Suoh blinked.
 
“Suoh, tomorrow is a full moon right?” Nokoru asked, looking at the not-yet-full moon.
 
“Yeah…” Suoh replied.
 
Ami gasped when she too realized the same thing, “Maron's gift… Could it be… that?”
 
Nokoru smiled at the girl and nodded.
 
Turning to Suoh, he instructed, “Let's prepare that thing we brought to observe the ocean.”
 
“All right.” Suoh nodded.
 
“I'm getting a little excited.” Nokoru beamed, his eyes getting starry.
 
***************************************************************** ******************
 
The next day, Maron's family was preparing to leave.
 
“Is that all the stuff?” Maron's mother asked.
 
“I think that is it.” Maron's father replied.
 
Maron walked over to the window and looked into the empty house as memories of him and Anita flashed by his mind.
 
“Anita…” he mumbled.
 
“Maron! Get on now!” his mother called out.
 
Giving the hibiscus one last look, Maron ran off with a request, “Can I come a little after you guys?”
 
“What's wrong? We're going now.” His father informed him.
 
The mover's truck then moved off.
 
“Anita!” Maron cried out as the truck sped off.
 
As if she heard him, Anita looked up for a while before glancing at her clock; fifteen minutes before Maron was truly gone.
 
Decided, Anita ran out of her room.
 
Pedaling furiously on her bike, she recalled Maron's words.
 
“I'm sorry; I couldn't tell you that I couldn't give you the gift anymore. I just couldn't tell you.”
 
Anita's bike screeched to stop at the harbor just as Maron's ship was departing. The Clamp group was there, seeing Maron off.
 
“Told you she'd come.” Ami smiled.
 
Getting off her bike and running, Anita cried out, “Maron!”
 
But it was too late, the ship was taken off.
 
Anita sunk to the ground, exhausted
 
“It's all right. He will definitely come to the place he promised.” Nokoru assured her, placing a hand on her shoulder.
 
Ami nodded, “He will come. To make sure you smile.”
 
***************************************************************** ******************
 
That night, Maron's ship was cruising on the sea but the boy was upset.
 
On a raft with a covered haversack, Nokoru and Ami were on their way to get Maron.
 
“Is it all right now Kaichou?” Suoh's voice sounded over the walkie talkie.
 
“Please tell us what's going on!” Akira shouted.
 
“Well…” Nokoru began.
 
“I'll tell you later. I'm boarding the ship now.” He said as the raft came alongside with Maron's ship.
 
Throwing a rope with a metallic link up the ship's railing, Nokoru climbed on board the ship.
“It's time.” He told the upset boy who was leaning on the ship's side.
 
Maron let out a shocked scream.
 
Nokoru silenced him.
 
“You have to keep a promise you made to a lady. Let's go.” The blonde told the boy.
 
Nokoru smiled confidently at the stunned boy.
 
Pretty soon the two were on the raft, heading to their destination.
 
“Um, how is this thing moving?” Maron asked.
 
“Suoh did you hear that?” Nokoru asked over the walkie talkie.
 
“I heard it.” Suoh replied.
 
As it turned out, the Clamp submarine was pulling the raft along.
 
“Well Maron, don't worry about that.” Suoh noted.
 
“It's not much of a contraption.” Akira agreed.
 
“I thought it would just get in the way, but I'm glad we brought it.” Utako remarked.
 
“And it's a pretty comfortable ride.” Nagisa agreed.
 
“But Kaichou, I'm more worried about that. I wonder if that would do.” Suoh voiced his concern.
 
“Oh? Yeah… it will be all right.” Nokoru nodded, his thought going to the fake doll they had placed in Maron's place on the bed.
 
“Well we have to hurry. Anita is waiting.” He declared.
 
“I worry about you sometimes.” Ami muttered.
 
***************************************************************** ******************
 
At the foot of the rock of the gods, Anita sat on the rock ground waiting, with a lamp at her foot.
 
A spark alerted her and she looked up.
 
“Anita!” Maron called out in a hot air balloon.
 
“Maron!” Anita cried, running out.
 
“A little birthday gift from us.” Nokoru bowed to the pair.
 
“Thank you Nokoru.” Anita beamed.
 
“Let's hurry!” Maron clasped Anita's hands, leading her in to the shipwreck.
 
“I just hope their story ends well.” Ami mused, taking her place beside Nokoru.
 
“It will. Don't worry.” Nokoru assured her.
 
“Just like us Ami-chan.” He smiled.
 
“You and your optimism.” Ami shook her head.
 
***************************************************************** ******************
 
“Let's go. Take a deep breath.” Maron told Anita, when they reached the edge of the rock.
 
“Okay.” Anita nodded.
 
“And now…” Maron began, sucking in a deep breath and diving in.
 
Anita followed suit and dove in after him.
 
Once underwater, Maron led Anita into the very heart of the shipwreck.
 
What Anita saw totally stunned her.
 
“Happy birthday Anita. This is a gift from me that I could only give you today.” Maron told her when they came up for air.
 
“Thank you Maron.” Anita beamed.
 
“I love you!” she declared jumping on him.
 
***************************************************************** ******************
 
Back with the Clamp gang, the submarine had arrived at the coral reef.
 
“Wow, this is so beautiful.” Nagisa breathed.
 
“It's the spawning of the rainbow coral, something you don't see every day. It happens only once a year, on the night of a full moon. This is what I was trying to tell you about on the airplane.” Nokoru supplied.
 
“But you couldn't find the right words to express it.” Ami noted.
 
“True.” Nokoru nodded.
 
“This is a fleeting gift, yet something that remains in your heart forever.” Nagisa remarked.
 
Utako smiled in agreement.
 
“Maybe that wrecked ship is kept here as a ghost ship as a means to preserve the nature of this island.” Suoh remarked.
 
Everyone nodded in agreement.
 
“But I have to apologize. We were planning for the summer vacation project but we reeled you into all this.” Nokoru told the two kindergarteners.
 
“No, I have learnt enough already on the subject of love.” Utako beamed.
 
“I see…” Suoh nodded and everyone laughed.
 
***************************************************************** ******************
 
The episode ended with a glimpse of Maron and Anita sitting together in the cave, looking into the night sky.
 
***************************************************************** ******************
 
SailorStar9: This chapter is done! Read and review.