Code Lyoko Fan Fiction ❯ Kiko's Story ❯ Kiko's Past ( Chapter 7 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 7
Kiko's Past
That night, at 10:00, Od knocked on Kiko's door. “Hey, Kiko! Open up, I need to talk to you right now! Come on, open up!”
“Who is it? Do you have any idea of what time it is?” Kiko asked, punctuating every word with a yawn as she opened her door. “Od?” Kiko asked, now fully awake “What is it? Is X.A.N.A. attacking? Did somebody find out about the factory?”
“No, I just need to talk to you about . . . “
“Od, if this is about what you asked on Lyoko . . . I'm not sure yet.” Kiko said as she shut the door in the boy's face.
He placed his foot by the doorjamb to prevent the door from becoming closed all of the way, and said “No, it's not that. I just want to talk. Ulrich is asleep, Yumi isn't here, and Jeremie's talking all smart and mushy with Aelita. Please . . . you're my only friend left.” He made a sad, puppy face and began to whine.
“Oh . . . fine! Get in here, but you do realize that Ulrich wasn't the only person sleeping, don't you? I was also sleeping until you began banging on my door!” Kiko said, opening the door wide enough for her blonde friend to enter.
“Hang on . . . right back . . . bring someone . . .” Od muttered as he went inside the room he slept in, and came out holding the (sorry Kiwi!) ugliest dog Kiko had ever seen in her life. “Ah, here we go! Kiko, meet my illegal refugee dog Kiwi! Kiwi, this is Kiko, be nice to her . . . okay?” Kiwi yipped, and Od took that as a “yes."
The dog and two humans went inside Kiko's room, shut the door, then they all sat on Kiko's bed. “So what was so important that you had to talk to me now, huh?” Kiwi crawled from Od's lap to Kiko's, and lay down, giving a contented sigh as Kiko began to pet him.
“It's just that you looked so upset when you left lunch, then you wouldn't talk to us in any of our classes, and you didn't even come down for supper . . . I was worried about you. Just like you told Yumi, friends help you when you need it, and celebrate with you when you have a good day. I could tell talking about your sister bummed you out, so I'm here to help you.”
“And because you are all curious . . . , am I right?” Kiko asked, smiling for the first time that day since she mentioned her sister. Od was shocked that Kiko knew about their plan, but stayed pleasant. If the guys want to hear about my past, boy are they in for a big shock. Oh well, maybe it'll help to tell someone about me. “Okay, go tell the others that you're busted, and if you guys want . . . I'll tell you my story . . . the true one.”
Ten minutes later, the entire group was in Jeremie's room, even Aelita. At first, Aelita objected to being present “I won't understand most of what you'll be saying, and besides, if X.A.N.A. captured me, he might find a way to use my knowledge of you against yourself.”
“Yah, I know, but I'm not afraid to take that chance, besides, when you get materialized, I'd just to tell you my story then, so why not now?” Kiko said, firmly ending the discussion.
In preparation for the long story ahead of them, Od bought refreshments from the vending-machine outside in the courtyard, and everyone found or made a comfortable place to sit. “All right, Kiko,” Yumi said, "we're ready to listen, if you're ready to talk.”
Kiko took a deep breath and began “There are some parts of my life that I still don't understand, so bear with me . . . I was born in Tokyo, on October 6th, 1990. I was the second, and the last child my parents had. My big sister, Mieko, is six years older than I am. One day, when I was seven, two different winds began to blow through our house . . . one was blue, and cold, the other was red, and hot. The two circled around Mieko and me, until the red one soaked into my body, and the blue into Mieko's body. Then it was all over.” Kiko stopped and took a sip of the tea Od had brought for her.
“When Mieko's 14th birthday came around, strange things began to happen when she felt strong emotions . . . frozen cake, chairs, presents, and decorations were everywhere. My parents canceled Mieko's party, because they didn't understand what was going on. Then the occurrences became stranger, and more common . . . on hot days, a cool breeze would always be blowing near Mieko, or a drink that burnt Mieko's mouth, suddenly turned to solid. It was then, that my parents decided that Mieko must have somehow gained the power to control ice with her desires, and wishes. When they told Mieko this, she took it in stride . . . she learned how to control her new found powers. One day when she was bored, she began to experiment with her powers. She discovered that she could temporarily freeze time, or an object.” At this point, Kiko took another sip of tea, and to look at her friends, stiff with shock.
“When my 14th birthday came, my parents thought they were ready. They held my party a week early, and told everyone that we'd be on holiday for my birthday. Everything went as my parents planed with the exclusion of one little thing . . . instead of frozen cake. Mine was burning! Whenever I felt strong emotion, something caught fire, so my parents came to the quick conclusion that I could control fire.” To prove this fact, Kiko took a sheet of blank paper, crumpled it up, placed it in the palm of her hand, and closed her eyes in concentration . . . the paper burst into flame.
“Cool,” Kiko's earth friends breathed, while Aelita tried to remember why this was all so familiar to her. The whole group was mesmerized as the flames formed hearts, circles, flowers, and even the Lyoko symbol. Abruptly as the flames appeared, they disappeared, leaving not ashes, but the paper ball Kiko had made before.
“Mieko and my parents tried to help me learn how to control my powers, but no matter what I couldn't control them for more than two hours at a time. I learned that if I took a drink of some liquid, it would suppress my powers for another two hours. One day in Home. Ed. a bunch of jerks started to pick on me, and it was getting close to the time that I'd have to take another drink. Anyway, I didn't realize it, but I set all of the fabric we were using to make a class quilt on fire . . . my entire school burned to the ground. My parents were so mad at me, and worried that someone might discover that Mieko and I were different, and that I had been the one who caused the school to burn down. So they sent me here, where nobody knew me . . . I was basically banished. Before I left, my sister said that I was evil, because I couldn't control my powers, and that I caused our school to burn down on purpose, that's why I don't like to talk about Mieko.”
“Kiko,” Aelita asked, speaking for the first time since Kiko's story had started, "considering your sister could stop time . . . shouldn't you be able to speed time, just like fire and ice are opposites?”
“Yah, I forgot that part. When I want to . . . I can go really fast, so it's like everything is moving in slow motion,” Kiko said, cracking a small grin.
“That's why you were so fast during the soccer match yesterday!?” Ulrich exclaimed.
Kiko nodded shamefully “Yah, I did use my powers a bit during our match, but I couldn't miss the chance to embarrass you two by dressing you guys up.” Yumi, Jeremie, and Kiko giggled remembering the sight, while Ulrich and Od scowled.
“What are you talking about?” Aelita asked very confused “Why are you three laughing, and you two so mad?”
“It's nothing, just a mean thing Kiko did to us, that a lot of people found funny” Od said to Aelita hastily.
“Here, Aelita,” Kiko said, while digging in her pockets “look for your self. That's not so embarrassing . . . is it?” Od and Ulrich lunged at Kiko to stop her from showing the picture Millie had taken to Aelita, but it was too late, Aelita had already seen the snapshot.
“I see why the two of you are so embarrassed,” Aelita giggled," you look ridiculous!” The two boys sulked back to where they had been sitting and consoled themselves by petting Kiwi. After a few minutes, Yumi, Od, Ulrich, and Kiko left. It had been decided that Yumi would stay with Kiko for the rest of the night, so she wouldn't disturb her parents.
“I understand that the winds gave Kiko and her sister their powers,” Jeremie said to Aelita before he went to sleep “, but what I don't understand, is where the winds came from, and who or what sent them.”